• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. to get a demo on the Nintendo eShop (via DL code)

Lombax

Banned
I just don't generally play games with guns. I'm not saying it's violent like COD or something. Just more gun-blam-y than I usually play.

To give you a baseline for my preferences, I find Metroid games more violent than I care for, but I find Kid Icarus charming and not too bad, although it's the most violent game I'd tend to play.

If I'm mistaken I'll be glad to check it out.

Did you have any interest in the latest XCOM series? This game seems to be on par in terms of gun-blam-y-ness.

wiibomb

nice cards!! but I'm not in the US so its not for me, I guess, I haven't been interested that much in CS, but with this demo things can change

javadoze

While I admit I was initially turned off by the game's aesthetic, it's been slowly winning me over and a demo is sure to push me over the edge. Besides, I want to support new IPs like this and Splatoon.

Dominator

Got Abe on the front of my card. Each of the 5 cards had different characters on them with a description of the character and the code on the back.

E3485B27-9B18-41E1-A1A7-E716EE342A00_zpsunsn3x75.jpg

Pretty cool.

EDIT: Didn't realize OP had pics of the back too. Nice.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Maybe they'll give them out if you buy a 3DS game or system? Maybe I might be able to get one or a few if I ask one of the two main GS employees I see.

Boem

I'm not sure it's smart of the OP to show the back of his card like that. Those download codes are one use only. Just takes one person to be faster than him.

Dominator

Maybe they'll give them out if you buy a 3DS game or system? Maybe I might be able to get one or a few if I ask one of the two main GS employees I see.
If there are less than 5 employee's that want codes there should be extra's. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ah sweet. I'm pretty on the fence about this game, so this'll be helpful hopefully.

This isn't "limiting demos" ...this is giving out demos early via unique methods to make it more special. Don't be naive and think they won't put the demo out for everyone later.

The game comes out in May. You won't hear about a demo until late March/April.

I thought the game comes out in March?

I want a code! I'll buy one from any of you guys that don't plan on playing it.

I asked for a code at GS....I got a poster instead

Front
bRzmBoa.jpg

Back
82x4Od1.jpg

Bass260

This game badly needs a good demo. I actually really like the artwork on paper. I can see what they were going for but it didn't translate as well into the game.

Grylvak

Whoa that's awesome!

This is the poster they have at PAXSouth right now.

I want it so bad!

If this is PAXSouth stuff, I wonder if Nintendo will announce the demo on Sunday when it ends. I was able to "confirm" with my GameStop guy that the demo should be available on January 26th.

I say "confirm" because you can never really know until it's officially announced by Nintendo.

AerialAir

Banned
This game badly needs a good demo. I actually really like the artwork on paper. I can see what they were going for but it didn't translate as well into the game.

For some reason, this game is looking to be a lot like Advance Wars: Dark Conflict to me, and that game was great! Still, a demo could make me pre-order this one in a instant.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Actually, I think I see four yet-to-be-unveiled characters

Randolph Carter
QueeQueg
Scarecrow
The Fox

hatchx

Banned
I have a feeling this game will be something special with the level of promotion nintendo is giving it.

This ain't no Flingsmash or Wario Ware snapped POS, this game is a AAA handheld effort.

Lunar15

Holy shit, I totally called that the glasses guy would be Randolph Carter, H.P. Lovecraft's self-insert character in his own books.

They really need to get over this demo code shit.

I can imagine it makes people more likely to share their play experiences with other people and makes those with codes feel 'special'. Or at least, if I was trying to ascribe a reasoning to why this has become a strategy for them.

maxcriden

Okay, I guess I'm just numb on that base level :D

To note something as "violent" for me, I have to see a lot more gruesome stuff/detail.

You should check out the Treehouse live demo/last week's Gamexplain mission playthrough to see how the violence comes across in practice.

I'll take a look at it, thanks man. I did look at the previous demo during E3 I think it was. I dunno. I understand this kind of thing isn't considered excessive violence to most people. I know it's not what I'd consider excessive either, I don't think. It's just not necessarily my cup of tea.

It's rated T for "Blood, Fantasy Violence, & Mild Suggestive Themes". That might give you an idea until the ESRB releases their rating summary explaining why they gave it the descriptions they did.

Edit: Ah, seems they already did.

Thanks man. It doesn't necessarily sound like my kind of thing, but I'll keep it in mind if the reviews are incredible.

Did you have any interest in the latest XCOM series? This game seems to be on par in terms of gun-blam-y-ness.

I didn't even check it out, TBH. I figured it was a pretty violent shooter/gun kind of series, but admittedly I've never followed the series.

TheMoon

Does anybody have any clue as to who "The Fox" is based on? I just put google through the ringer with tons of terms relating to literature and history. Can't find a thing.

What we know is that everything is based on 19th/early-20th century literature, folk lore or history. She looks sort-of Native American? Her outfit looks a bit like Wonder Woman which is extra-irritating lol.

I didn't even check it out, TBH. I figured it was a pretty violent shooter/gun kind of series, but admittedly I've never followed the series.

XCOM is a turn-based tactics/strategy game like Fire Emblem. It's basically the blueprint for this one, minus the base-building.

Does anybody have any clue as to who "The Fox" is based on? I just put google through the ringer with tons of terms relating to literature and history. Can't find a thing.

What we know is that everything is based on 19th/early-20th century literature, folk lore or history. She looks sort-of Native American? Her outfit looks a bit like Wonder Woman which is extra-irritating lol.

I can't find who she's based on either, but I'm pretty sure I remember a Mexican flag behind her whenever she does her special attack.

Lunar15

Only other distinctly american piece of literature I can think of is Song of the South, with Brer Fox.... but I don't think Nintendo would really go near that.

There's a bunch of Native American/Mexican folk tales about foxes, wouldn't surprise me if they just went with that.

All of the characters are super obvious with where they're from. So I doubt the Fox alone is an obscure reference so it's probably something obvious in fiction or history that people are missing.

rhandino

Banned
The Fox? With an almost mexican look?

Maybe she is "El Zorro"

Also, I clearly remember some kind of controversy at E3 when they showed The Fox, people were saying that she was going to be the token female minority...

Edit: For those who don't know, Zorro

Lunar15

The Fox? With a quasi-mexican look?

Maybe "El Zorro"

Also, I clearly remember some kind of controversy at E3 when they showed The Fox, people were saying that she was going to be the token female minority...

It actually ended up being a pretty diverse and interesting cast, with everything taken from at least some kind of reference, rather than just being shoehorned in.

TheMoon

The Fox? With an almost mexican look?

Maybe she is "El Zorro"

Edit: For those who don't know, Zorro

But I think they stick to the gender from the source material. So it has to be a woman in the source material, too.

edit: I can't place Scarecrow either. Specifically because he is depicted with a Jack-o-lantern for a head, like Jack Pumpkinhead and very unlike the Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz. But then why not name him Pumpkinhead?

Top Bottom