• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. to get a demo on the Nintendo eShop (via DL code)

The best thing about these e-mail code demos is they have unlimited uses and you don't need an NNID to download them (both "features" the general release demos have) which makes the whole demo situation sound really dumb actually.

Also giving these to Gamestop employees, makes me wonder if a few employees are going to get them a wage raise via selling the code or is the code use going to be at gunpoint with the Nintendo rep?

Hopefully Marth and Ike are compatible with the demo.
I spot a very small problem at the moment. The region with the demo does not have the New 3DS yet. No New 3DS=no NFC support (unless the IR adapter ever stops making love to the Vitality sensor in the forgotten peripherals drawer).

rhandino

Banned
But I think they stick to the gender from the source material. So it has to be a woman in the source material
The thing is that Zorro was based in the life of the bandit Joaquin Murieta and nobody is 100% who he was or how many for that matter since there is no precise account of his life and even his death. Maybe she is part of the band... but yeah, is a longshot.

TheMoon

I spot a very small problem at the moment. The region with the demo does not have the New 3DS yet. No New 3DS=no NFC support (unless the IR adapter ever stops making love to the Vitality sensor in the forgotten peripherals drawer).

The adapter was actually announced for a summer release in Japan last week.

The thing is that Zorro was based in the life of the bandit Joaquin Murieta and nobody is 100% who he was or how many for that matter since there is no precise account of his life and even his death. Maybe she is part of the band... but yeah, is a longshot.

Sounds too convoluted to me, plus she's not wearing a mask. I really hope they talk about the inspirations for everyone somewhere lol.

Press better ask about this in interviews ...

Lunar15

I'm just going to go with scarecrow being scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz. They just took some liberties, like they did with everyone.

So I just realized... John Henry is from the folk tale where he had a contest against a steam hammer and won, right? Well then, what the heck is he doing embracing steam technology in this game? Darn it Nintendo, you're destroying the Luddite-ness of one of the most inspirational Luddites in history!

I'll still probably get the game and feel zero guilt about having him use steam in my party...

Lombax

Banned
I didn't even check it out, TBH. I figured it was a pretty violent shooter/gun kind of series, but admittedly I've never followed the series.

That's cool, the new XCOM is fantastic, so if you ever see it on a steam sale it would be worth checking out again, and the violence is not too bad (what is there happens to aliens).

Regardless Code Name S.T.E.A.M. is coming from one of my favorite developers, so I am hype. If you are still on the fence about the game I suggest checking out Fire Emblem: Awakening.

maxcriden

That's cool, the new XCOM is fantastic, so if you ever see it on a steam sale it would be worth checking out again, and the violence is not too bad (what is there happens to aliens).

Regardless Code Name S.T.E.A.M. is coming from one of my favorite developers, so I am hype. If you are still on the fence about the game I suggest checking out Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Thanks man, I appreciate the tip. FE isn't really my bag since I'm not super into turn-based stuff, but S.T.E.AM. should be a bit more fast-paced or action-oriented in comparison, right?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Thanks man, I appreciate the tip. FE isn't really my bag since I'm not super into turn-based stuff, but S.T.E.AM. should be a bit more fast-paced or action-oriented in comparison, right?
If it's like Valkyria Chronicles, then I'd say yes, especially since you have much more control over how you move & attack. I honestly prefer VC over FE because of how I feel I have more control over the characters.

maxcriden

If it's like Valkyria Chronicles, then I'd say yes, especially since you have much more control over how you move & attack. I honestly prefer VC over FE because of how I feel I have more control over the characters.

That's definitely more my kind of thing, at least, then. Thanks Zonic!

stupei

Planning to go by my nearby Gamestop first thing in the morning to see. They're kind of out of the way and don't get a lot of attention, so maybe I'll be in luck. (Unless they didn't even get any codes, I guess.)

Just want to throw it out there that I have a MH4U demo code (US) that I'll trade for one of these codes if anyones willing.

Think I will buy it day one anywayz but always nice to demo a new genre before I buy.

Dominator

If this is PAXSouth stuff, I wonder if Nintendo will announce the demo on Sunday when it ends. I was able to "confirm" with my GameStop guy that the demo should be available on January 26th.

I say "confirm" because you can never really know until it's officially announced by Nintendo.
Demo starts on the 26th for those who have a code, yes.

EDIT:
Cool, I managed to snag a code. Apparently demo goes live January 29th. Wonder why that day?
Where did you hear the 29th if you don't mind my asking. The info we got with the codes mentioned the 26th.

Rran

Happy to see Queequeg! I read somewhere that there was going to be some Melville representation (deep down I was kinda hoping for Bartleby, but in practice I imagine he'd be pretty useless lol), and Queequeg just seemed like the obvious choice from Moby-Dick (can't see Ahab taking orders from anyone).

But yeah. Full S.T.E.A.M. ahead!

Altima

I want a code! I'll buy one from any of you guys that don't plan on playing it.

I asked for a code at GS....I got a poster instead

Back
82x4Od1.jpg

I would be pissed if that is all characters we have because they lock other 4 behind amiibo.

Altima

The FE characters don't factor into the story at all and only exist inside the missions, though.

I know that but I expect at least 15 playable characters if they lock other 4 with amiibo.

Locking near 50 % of playable characters away is not acceptable.

L95

EDIT lol miscounted, there are nine characters on the poster, 30% does seem like a good chunk, I guess. I'm not bothered, but that's because I was getting the FE amiibos anyway...

So how many of you are lucky Gamestop employees who have a code :(

I'm sure Nintendo will eventually release a regular eShop version of the demo for anyone to download, but who knows. It's Nintendo after all.

Cbajd5

I wonder if the demo gets released at midnight

Nope, definitely not, trying to enter the code at midnight would be a wasted endeavor, no one should even bother to try, it's improbable, no wait it's impossible, that's a negative good buddy, nah, no way, completely isn't gonna happen, it's a fruitless endeavor.

I WILL CLAIM THAT CODE

wiibomb

I guess people haven't got more than one code, right? I do not know if I should buy this game or not, so I wanted to try the demo

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Is this up yet now that it's midnight EST? I'm unaware of Nintendo's practices regarding demo release times.

Cbajd5

Is this up yet now that it's midnight EST? I'm unaware of Nintendo's practices regarding demo release times.
No, it's not up yet. I'm guessing it'll be around noon eastern (tomorrow) since that's when they normally update if it's not a midnight release.

nusilver

No, it's not up yet. I'm guessing it'll be around noon eastern (tomorrow) since that's when they normally update if it's not a midnight release.

Hope you got it, because it's already been used.

Along those lines, if anyone has a code and doesn't want it, would you mind sending it to me via DM? As a huge XCOM and Intsys fan, I'm pretty stoked to try this game out.

Cbajd5

Hope you got it, because it's already been used.

Along those lines, if anyone has a code and doesn't want it, would you mind sending it to me via DM? As a huge XCOM and Intsys fan, I'm pretty stoked to try this game out.
Damn it, no I didn't. I tried it at 10 AM too...

will trade cool digital stuff for code

like any of those club nintendo games available now

or some club nintendo code(s)

or some of the numerous excess steam/origin codes/links i have from humble (or other) bundles

or cute/cool pictures of cats

or the secret to getting all of your wisdom teeth taken out and not being in any serious pain afterward

or i can gif/webm a scene/clip from a show/movie for you (this will take longer than everything else except for the cute/cool pictures of cats which may take less or more time depending on how the cats are acting)

or an anime/manga recommendation based on something you tell me you watch/read (this one's a scam, the recommendation will always be gintama or bobobo-bo bo-bobo if you provide gintama as the something you watch/read)

or a combination of the above

Illucio

Banned
This would work if the game was as popular as Pokemon or Super Smash Bros. But who is going to go out of their way to pick up a card for a download code to a demo of a new IP video game that most people aren't too keen on buying/playing in the first place?

Poor marketing strategy, Nintendo is limiting exposure of this game to it's already nearly non-existent pool of potential customers.

But considering that Nintendo is giving these cards to GameStop, the one store that is giving away Majora's Mask pins for pre-orders of the game, I take it these cards are strictly for people who are pre-ordering the game just to get the pin so they can actually try out the game. Maybe in hopes those people decide not to trade the game back in, or return it New for their money back (so they can keep the pin).

Cbajd5

This would work if the game was as popular as Pokemon or Super Smash Bros. But who is going to go out of their way to pick up a card for a download code to a demo of a new IP video game that most people aren't too keen on buying/playing in the first place?

Poor marketing strategy, Nintendo is limiting exposure of this game to it's already nearly non-existent pool of potential customers.

But considering that Nintendo is giving these cards to GameStop, the one store that is giving away Majora's Mask pins for pre-orders of the game, I take it these cards are strictly for people who are pre-ordering the game just to get the pin so they can actually try out the game. Maybe in hopes those people decide not to trade the game back in, or return it New for their money back (so they can keep the pin).
The cards/demo codes are for employees. If you get one and you're not an employee you're lucky. There'll probably be a public demo sooner or later, but this isn't it.

Top Bottom