• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemaster hints at DiRT 4

I am hard pressed to imagine how Nextgen consoles would benefit this series THAT much (beyond maybe 60fps).

All of the PC exclusive stuff they did really did not make the game look THAT much better or play THAT much better beyond the framerate.

It would be great to see some more intense damage modelling or car interaction...

Watevaman

I am hard pressed to imagine how Nextgen consoles would benefit this series THAT much (beyond maybe 60fps).

All of the PC exclusive stuff they did really did not make the game look THAT much better or play THAT much better beyond the framerate.

It would be great to see some more intense damage modelling or car interaction...

Those are both things that will benefit from the new consoles. Increased particle effects, much better shaders, more interaction with the road surface, etc.

Stradnjoy

I love the DiRT series and have been waiting for it since last spring when I first heard rumors of a sequel coming.
GRID2 was fun, but nowhere near as much as fun as the DiRT series.
Here's a couple of shots I posted recently in the last years PC screenshot thread.

The last Dirt was awesome. Really had a good time with the main rally stages, with the Gymkhana playgrounds being great environments for pure fun and kicks.

Didn't like the forced Gymkhana stuff though. Or the totally rad announcers bugging me every few minutes to share my stuff to the FaceTubes.

The last DiRT was Showdown... unfortunately.
I have regressed that memory too :p

Codemasters stepped their game up big-time and wound up delivering more fulfilling racing experiences than Polyphony or Turn 10 last gen, so I'm loving forward to DiRT 4 a lot. It felt like the spiritual successor to Rallisport.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
its clear they have been working on it for a while, also sounds likely it may be quite a bit more rally focused. their graphics were always head of the pack, cant wait to see what they've cooked up.

Wonko_C

Grid 2 was made by a new team (ex Sega employees that worked on Sega Rally), so I'm sure we'll be seeing some sweet next gen cockpits if it's the official team working on it.

For real!? I'll go download the GRID 2 demo from Steam right now.

Codemasters: Get those guys working on a next-gen rally-focused game right NOW!

Elitro

A while back I asked Paul Coleman (lead designer of the Dirt games and also a rally co-driver in real life) about cockpit view, this is what he said:

https://twitter.com/NeuromancerGAF/status/274550955184361472

I'm not worried.

Also I seem to recall reading or hearing that Milestone/Black Bean's involvement with the WRC license just happened to expire last year... I think this could be a very exciting reveal (if and when we actually get it!).

Woah! Thanks for sharing, that makes me really excited!

I enjoyed playing Dirt3, but the side events really put me off. In theory it's a cool concept, you get to do lots of stunts and cool stuff but in practice i didn't enjoy driving around a pole as much as doing a rally race.
I'm hoping for a nice looking game as well, driving by mud puddles and getting the water splashed in the front glass only to be wiped a second later never got old for me, absolutely marvelous!

wiggleb0t

Banned
Codemasters made a sucky choice to exclude cockpit view from GRID 2 soo hmmmmm...

As mentioned needs next gen only - PC craziness with AMD always backing them.

Edit: Please please please leave the 'cowabunga attitude, poochy the rocking dog' mentality out of the game and bring it back to 'fine dining' equivalent of the dirt1 vibe in menus and presentation.

MaLDo

*grabs popcorn*

+1 for correct styling of DiRT

Edit: Cockpits, relax we know how you all feel about them. Moving forward am sure it's not going to be an issue, whatever the game.

CodiesLoore...

image.php

WE know ....

So, hello Codemasters?

Ironic that Colin McRae is no longer in Dirt considering that's where he spends most of his time these days /edgy3yearsago

I have enjoyed all the previous titles so I am excited for a new one.

MaDKaT

I want to be excited, I really do as I crave a good rally game but I want them to go back to the CMR formula. The latest Dirt games are just so off-putting to me. Give me something more akin to the old Colin Mcrae, Richard Burns or Rallisport Challenge games.

MisterM

Like most have said; more Rally, less faff please!

Gymkhana is alright in small doses, like coffee breaks in GT...but racing in trucks every other race got tedious.

MaLDo

Loore is one of the community guys at Codies and I believe the above is the real deal as he helped some of the guys with Youtube copyright issues a few weeks back.

Great, so my rating list can be heard

Dirt -> 8.8
Dirt 2 -> 9
Dirt 3 -> 7.5
Dirt Showdown -> 4

I really enjoyed all of the Dirt games (minus Showdown) but I swear if they leave the cockpit view out in this....

We will have words Codemaster...we will have words.

BPoole

I'm interested. I love CMR games. I feel they strike a perfect balance between realism and arcade-ish controls. Plus they look amazing on PC and are super easy to run.

Danneee

I just hope they the extreme sports crap.
The first is still the best imo (well, the wonky physics is kind of crappy but tracks, modes and presentation is top notch), if it only had the rewind feature for us not-so-good-at-racing-games folks...

TheBear

If it has some douchebag yammering "xtreme" shit in my ear in the career mode I'm going to headbutt the fucking screen

Chettlar

Banned
I didn't think 2014 could get better. I thought DiRT 3 had some flaws, but nothing a new game can't fix.

The important question is: will there be cockpit/first person view?

paskowitz

Only consistently good series CM makes. F1 is garbage. GRiD is mediocre. Operation Flashpoint, the less said the better.

Overdoziz

Banned
I just hope they the extreme sports crap.
The first is still the best imo (well, the wonky physics is kind of crappy but tracks, modes and presentation is top notch), if it only had the rewind feature for us not-so-good-at-racing-games folks...
I use the rewind button every now and then in games that have them, but I can't help but feel dirty. (no pun intended) Kinda hope they just remove it.

rrs

The more like Rallisport Challenge 2, the better. It's still the golden standard of semi-sim rally games. Also I want to race any car on any track - no stupid limits because devs think I'm not man enough to drive a hill eating monster on rallicross, not what happened in DiRT 3 where the rally tracks were just 4-5 mi and short as balls, and bring back the niche modes (rally raid trucks, racing trucks, ice racing, etc).

Wait, wait... wait. "Not just looking forward"?

I'm probably reading too much into it but... VR?
-edit-
Seeing the date of the tweets this seems very unlikely, though.

Just the back of the cockpit, most likely.

Gymkhana using a wheel is god damn fucking impossible.

I hated it because it's not what I play DiRT for, I can see it in an actual NFS Underground reboot being something fun. If DiRT 4 has X-Games in it yet again, all non-racing stuff better not be something I have to touch for 100%

GeoGonzo

A while back I asked Paul Coleman (lead designer of the Dirt games and also a rally co-driver in real life) about cockpit view, this is what he said:

https://twitter.com/NeuromancerGAF/status/274550955184361472

I'm not worried.

Also I seem to recall reading or hearing that Milestone/Black Bean's involvement with the WRC license just happened to expire last year... I think this could be a very exciting reveal (if and when we actually get it!).

Wait, wait... wait. "Not just looking forward"?

I'm probably reading too much into it but... VR?
-edit-
Seeing the date of the tweets this seems very unlikely, though.

In the past few days I had considered creating a thread asking if people thought we'd end up getting a new Dirt game in 2014. Guess I don't have to now. :)

I can't wait to see it on PS4.

Top Bottom