• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Was Right: The Gaming Industry vs Donald Trump

Lime

Again, the avatar fits. What a little bitch.

No need to use sexist slurs. Just call him a racist supporter and nazi apologist instead.

Honestly I have no idea how anyone can work with him. He must have zero minority friends with the lack of empathy he has shown.

UVPRchK.jpg

Every time I see the thread bumped my opinion of the dude dips a little more lol

hawk2025

I doubt he's ever going to look at comments and think that maybe minorities and folks on the other side have a decent point they're making about his attitude. This is what he responded to me with, a day or so ago, in another thread:

He's extremely full of himself (and those assumptions, damn!). Doubt that'll ever change with how proud he is to flaunt about his privilege.

The beginning of the quote says EVERYTHING about how he sees this: He considers owning up to one's privilege as an admission of shame.

ZKudos

Neo Member
Colin is smart and passionate about politics, but that doesn't always mean he's correct. Unfortunately, he can be really arrogant when it comes to his viewpoints, and he often presents his opinions as fact and brushes away opposition. It's ironic considering he's always going on and on about wanting to debate people and have his opinions challenged, yet he acts so smug and superior sometimes that it's downright disrespectful. Who wants to debate someone like that? Nothing meaningful will be achieved.

It's a shame because despite it all, I don't think Colin is a horrible person or that all conservatives are racist or whatever it is some of you guys spout. That's hyperbole and exaggeration. I like Colin, but he gets on my nerves sometimes, and I wish he'd tone it down a bit. But ultimately I can't change him and I won't try to.

Some of you guys are bothered by Colin way too much. He may talk loud, but that doesn't mean you have to gather around to listen. He's just a guy. Let him ramble. All this screaming and shouting won't get to him. He gets off on this shit. The best way to "fight" someone like Colin is disagree, make your point, and ignore the rest of his bullshit. Don't let him live in your head so much. Hurts you more than it hurts him.

Colin is smart and passionate about politics, but that doesn't always mean he's correct. Unfortunately, he can be really arrogant when it comes to his viewpoints, and he often presents his opinions as fact and brushes away opposition. It's ironic considering he's always going on and on about wanting to debate people and have his opinions challenged, yet he acts so smug and superior sometimes that it's downright disrespectful. Who wants to debate someone like that? Nothing meaningful will be achieved.

It's a shame because despite it all, I don't think Colin is a horrible person or that all conservatives are racist or whatever it is some of you guys spout. That's hyperbole and exaggeration. I like Colin, but he gets on my nerves sometimes, and I wish he'd tone it down a bit. But ultimately I can't change him and I won't try to.

Some of you guys are bothered by Colin way too much. He may talk loud, but that doesn't mean you have to gather around to listen. He's just a guy. Let him ramble. All this screaming and shouting won't get to him. He gets off on this shit. The best way to "fight" someone like Colin is disagree, make your point, and ignore the rest of his bullshit. Don't let him live in your head so much. Hurts you more than it hurts him.

I don't think most are bothered by Colin. And really, part of this discussion also has other merits for the issues as a whole. Namely, that the discussion should be more substantive than "privileged white guy talks down to minorities."

Ellite25

I was enjoying the most recent PSILY until Colin started getting into the bit about the American dream and how it exists and that he's proof because of his hard work. I have no doubt he worked hard and I don't want to take anything away from that, but it sounds tone deaf when he was born with advantages based on his skin color and socioeconomic status. His hard work was able to pay off for him because he didn't have barriers in front of him, some people don't have that advantage. If he were an black kid growing up in a poor neighborhood his journey would have been way more tough, and potentially bordering on impossible. I work with disadvantaged kids for a living who for one reason or another have been fucked over from before they were even born and don't have a fair shot through no fault of their own. I see kids that are a product of their environment that fight to be successful and work hard every day to see very little positive movement in their lives. I see kids that are caught in a cycle of racism and violence and poverty and they don't know how to pull themselves out because they're kids. To say that some have privilege isn't to demean their accomplishments, it's to say that they had an easier path and that we should be understanding that not everyone has the same advantages or disadvantages. In order for society for function at a higher level we all need to be aware of that.

You don't?

I'm sure he gets off on this, but I'd rather make people aware of what a piece of shit he is than ignore it if it costs him even a few GAF subscribers.

I'm not sure where you're getting smart from either btw. The guy attack a developer the other day for abandoning their conservative customers because they put out a statement that they don't like Betsy Devon.

gamerMan

I think having an extreme viewpoint on Youtube allows you to have an audience. There are going to be as many people that love you as hate you. That's sort of when you know that you are successful. People care about what you think.

As much as Colin wants people to meet at the middle, this type of persona would never sell well online. It's boring.

I think it would be cool if Colin had a debate with Jim Sterling over politics. While their politics are very different, the two of them are very similar as to how they build an audience. It's just an exaggerated persona. They say controversial things just to get people on the opposite side riled up.

Bold One

Can't believe Druckmann actually commended his video...

I hope you're reading this Colin, you're everything that's wrong with America

Curufinwe

I doubt he's ever going to look at comments and think that maybe minorities and folks on the other side have a decent point they're making about his attitude. This is what he responded to me with, a day or so ago, in another thread:

He's extremely full of himself (and those assumptions, damn!). Doubt that'll ever change with how proud he is to flaunt about his privilege.

That quote is particularly amusing given the complete lack of respect he showed to Rami when he dismissed his opinion as being the product of "bullying".

Bahorel

I think having an extreme viewpoint on Youtube allows you to have an audience. There are going to be as many people that love you as hate you. That's sort of when you know that you are successful. People care about what you think.

As much as Colin wants people to meet at the middle, this type of persona would never sell well online. It's boring.

I think it would be cool if Colin had a debate with Jim Sterling over politics. While their politics are very different, the two of them are very similar as to how they build an audience. It's just an exaggerated persona. They say controversial things just to get people on the opposite side riled up.

Yes but Jim turns off the egotistical character when he's on his podcasts and in real life. Colin's ego is not a character he's playing, it's his real thoughts.

Says the well-off straight white male who grew up with loaded parents, went to a top-tier university, and has a cushy-ass job.

On PSILY yesterday he was talking about how America's bootstrap mentality is confirmed legit because it worked for him... this guy, man.

Both of these responses. Bravo.

I haven't posted in here yet, nor do I typically talk about Greg or Colin or whoever. I can't stand these two anymore. I'm done. That last podcast was the last straw. Specifically the bootstraps comment above. I doubled over laughing while at work, listening to it. He just doesn't get it. The first quote in this post is the proof. I feel like he's completely incapable of simply putting himself firmly in another person's shoes who might not have had as good a good at life as him.

Woof.

Sorry if this is a drive-by or whatever but I couldn't take it anymore.

Karu

You don't?

I'm sure he gets off on this, but I'd rather make people aware of what a piece of shit he is than ignore it if it costs him even a few GAF subscribers.

I'm not sure where you're getting smart from either btw. The guy attack a developer the other day for abandoning their conservative customers because they put out a statement that they don't like Betsy Devon.
You fight truly the good fight sir.

And no, I am not serious.

Marquis

Banned
No need to use sexist slurs. Just call him a racist supporter and nazi apologist instead.

Honestly I have no idea how anyone can work with him. He must have zero minority friends with the lack of empathy he has shown.

The problem is one of his coworkers is a minority. I don't understand how Kevin can just sit there and listen to all of this bullshit.

sk3

Banned
Jesus, Congratulations on driving another industry person away from Gaf.

Who's left? Stinkles? Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

hawk2025

Good riddance.

I don't see what a videogame enthusiast playing armchair political analyst to defend white supremacists adds to the "industry".

tuxfool

Banned

No great loss. He'd still be continuing his bullshit over here. If you're desperate to have him here offer to lick his feet or something...

First, Colin is in the thread for his podcast.

Second, good job on congratulating GAF on driving a person away and then throwing an insult at Stinkles/Frankie. I didn't know that somebody who was working on one of the bigger IPs in the gaming industry was scraping the bottom of the barrel. Jesus, I'm not even sure why that's a qualifier you would use to begin with.

I really cannot wrap my head around this still:

How can a person scold others for not reaching out and speaking nicely to people who hate them for everything they are, their creed, their religion, their sexual orientation, their gender, their skin color, or their nationality, but then turn around and not even be willing to engage with people, many of whom were actually fans of KF and PSILY (I was a loyal listener every single episode dating all the way back to their first appearances on Beyond), in a relatively safe space like GAF where people who get way out of hand would be summarily banned?

If you are afraid to confront people here and defend your convictions, and instead have to escape back to your fan threads where people (I'm sorry but I have to say this), quite frankly are sycophants, can you not see how amazingly difficult it would be for us minorities to confront people out in the real world where the "mods" are not punishing people when they get out of line, but rather are the people encouraging the hatred and discrimination?

i-Jest

Watching now. Seems really informative. Here in Canada we've already seen a few price hikes for videogames. The hobby is an expensive one now.

What an appropriate response to that headline from him, a defiant one-word answer fit for a child throwing a tantrum. Again, this is the man who was complaining about the tone of discourse around DONALD "I'd like to punch him in the face" TRUMP.

Tim is truly too good to be grouped with such proud ignorance.

Arkage

Banned
I don't think most are bothered by Colin. And really, part of this discussion also has other merits for the issues as a whole. Namely, that the discussion should be more substantive than "privileged white guy talks down to minorities."

The people who are most upset are going to be the most vocal, so it's true that it's hard to get a real read on the general perception of Colin. And the talking points rarely move beyond the privilege statements/denials for these sorts of polarizing issues, due to the left's insistence that personal narrative should be/is the most substantive influence over social claims (aka contextualizing opposition arguments as being a product of white privilege, lack of empathy), combined with the right's insistence that personal narrative should not/doesn't influence social claims (aka contextualizing opposition arguments as a product of emotionally-driven "snowflakes").

Donthizz#

Uhhhh..can't believe I used to follow these guys almost religiously.

Colin is single handedly poisoning the community. Feel bad for Greg.

Oresama

I don't agree with everything Colin says or does, but it's hard to disagree with him when he says he's part of an industry where his views are in the minority.

This thread alone is proof of that.

Having said that, he should learn to keep his political views separate from his business or learn to be more tactful in how he expresses his views...

Brawl96

Funny how so many of you attack Colin for being a white supremacist, etc. Y'all don't know shit about the man and are straight up cherry picking quotes by him to paint him as this evil monster. I can't believe so many people here think he is the problem with the industry, smh.

Squire

Banned

Colin absolutely means the things he's saying. Absolutely. He's as vanilla a neocon as they come. Smarmy, selfish, self-satisfied, and self-aggrandized.

Colin is nothing like Jim. He's obvious and boring.

Funny how so many of you attack Colin for being a white supremacist, etc. Y'all don't know shit about the man and are straight up cherry picking quotes by him to paint him as this evil monster. I can't believe so many people here think he is the problem with the industry, smh.

I don't think anyone really believes he is a white supremacist, but the problem is that while developers are coming out in defence of different races, cultures, religions, Colin has come out in defence of the people who developers are telling to stay away, the same people who are against different races, cultures and religions. He then calls for the left to be more moderate, to find middle ground, but doesn't call for the right to stop pandering to Nazis.

I don't agree with everything Colin says or does, but it's hard to disagree with him when he says he's part of an industry where his views are in the minority.

Having said that, he should learn to keep his political views separate from his business or learn to be more tactful in how he expresses his views...
While he may be in the minority of people who are public about his beliefs in his industry it hasn't given him the perspective that he claims every downtrodden leftist person should have which is ironic.

Colin has shown that while he may believe in equality he also has the 'i worked hard and made it, anyone else can if they do what I did' attitude. This is a massive example of why people give him shit for his opinions because he is seemingly unaware or willfully dismissive of the fact working hard to succeed doesn't work for everyone, especially minorities and people from lower socio-economic backgrounds because of discrimination and how society has been set up to benefit the few and not the many.

Because of this fact he inevitably believes that if you didn't succeed it must be because you didn't work as hard as him or that he is simply better than you.

I see Colin as the type of person who holds prejudices against some people but thinks "I can't hold terrible opinions because I have a black/gay friend". Colin doesn't discriminate against colour or sexuality but against 'work ethic' and success and thinks himself better than others because of it, Be it saying intentionally inflammatory drive by posts or by constantly comparing himself to others with no sign of perspective on how different life is for millions of others.

Bahorel

Colin absolutely means the things he's saying. Absolutely. He's as vanilla a neocon as they come. Smarmy, selfish, self-satisfied, and self-aggrandized.

Colin is nothing like Jim. He's obvious and boring.

Jim is also very obviously satirical and clever about weaving multiple layers of meaning beneath his words. It's a completely different animal, and not comparable.

Lothars

Nobody is saying he's a white supremacist but people are calling him out on his views because he deserves to be called out on it especially with the way he acts and the way he comes across.

Neonep

I was enjoying the most recent PSILY until Colin started getting into the bit about the American dream and how it exists and that's he proof because of his hard work. I have no doubt he worked hard and I don't want to take anything away from that, but it sounds tone deaf when he was born with advantages based on his skin color and socioeconomic status. His hard work was able to pay off for him because he didn't have barriers in front of him, some people don't have that advantage. If he were an black kid growing up in a poor neighborhood his journey would have been way more tough, and potentially bordering on impossible. I work with disadvantaged kids for a living who for one reason or another have been fucked over from before they were even born and don't have a fair shot through no fault of their own. I see kids that are a product of their environment that fight to be successful and work hard every day to see very little positive movement in their lives. I see kids that are caught in a cycle of racism and violence and poverty and they don't know how to pull themselves out because they're kids. To say that some have privilege isn't to demean their accomplishments, it's to say that they had an easier path and that we should be understanding that not everyone has the same advantages or disadvantages. In order for society for function at a higher level we all need to be aware of that.
This is a quality post.

Does that matter though? If his views are a minority in the industry, that's good for the industry. It doesn't really mean anything if he's right about that. It's not a healthy view.

BigRedOne

Folks I am from Long Island, trust me when I say Colin grew up in a middle/upper class area that is predominantly Caucasian. Look at the demographical statistics of Hicksville. A further reference is Peter King is representative from the area or area adjacent to Hicksville. So it's easy to understand how much of a conservative pedantic man whose bootstraps are made of the softest material available. I personally take no pride in that piece of basura being a representation of us all especially how he defends bigots like Bannon. I wouldn't be surprised if he were a Milo fan. He is truly an awful personality in the realm of gaming.

JoeNut

Just watched the episode and thought it was well made and researched. Not really sure what the hell is going on in this thread though as it seems to be really negative towards it, maybe I missed something.

Top Bottom