• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic artist Darwyn Cooke diagnosed with "aggressive cancer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

*Update - 5/14/2016

Darwyn Cooke has passed away :(

Darwyn Cooke, a Canadian comic-book artist who gave his signature retro flair to DC Comics heroes as well as one of crime literature's more notable protagonists, died early Saturday morning at the age of 54.

His wife Marsha Cooke confirmed the news in a statement one day after posting on the artist's blog that he was receiving palliative care following a bout with aggressive lung cancer.

Darwyn Cooke, who died at his home in Florida, was a Toronto native who worked as an art director and graphic designer until the 1990s when he was hired by Warner Bros. Animation to be a storyboard artist on Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series.

Original post:

His wife just posted this on his blog:

fuck cancer

It is with tremendous sadness that we announce Darwyn is now receiving palliative care following a bout with aggressive cancer. His brother Dennis and I, along with our families appreciate the outpouring of support we have received. We ask for privacy as we go through this very difficult time. Urgent inquiries please contact David Hyde david.hyde@superfanpromotions.com

Marsha

For those who may not be familiar with his name, he's probably most known for his work on DC's New Frontier:

Aw4ismg.jpg
csD4o86.jpg

Loxley

Does pallative care means it's terminal?

Not necessarily, palliative care generally means they're trying to improve his quality of life while he's being treated. In a way it's like therapy alongside whatever the normal treatment for an illness would be. But usually it's only reserved for really severe illnesses :/

Awful, awful news. Such an incredible talent. New Frontier and Parker alone are brilliant, but he has such an amazing library of work. Gutted.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Does pallative care means it's terminal?

Likely. Palliative care is geared towards providing comfort moreso than treating the actual illness, which means he could be beyond hope.

Real shitty news, regardless of the prognosis. Darwyn will forever be a legend.

Blader

Damn, what awful news. I wonder what kind of cancer? If this is something that came on suddenly or has been ongoing for a while.

Good luck to him and his family.

Viewt

Ugh, that's gutting. I love Darwyn. Not just his art style, but his attitude towards art and his incredible work ethic, as well.

His run on The Spirit doesn't get brought up as much anymore, but it's so, so great.

This sucks. Cooke is a fantastic artist. Really wish him the best.

People should check out his work on Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre. I never hear anyone talk about it but it was a great book caught up in a very mediocre event. His art is great in it and I really enjoyed the book.

I haven't read much of his superhero stuff yet, but I like that his work feels so optimistic. It's very powerful.

His Parker adaptions are must-read material for anyone.

Get better, Mr. Cooke.

Pau

No!

One of my favorite artists. A New Frontier is just so good.

And his redesign of Catwoman is wonderful.

I hope he feels as comfortable and well as possible during the time he has left. :( His poor family...

His Parker line of graphic novels were absolutely phenomenal, each with a unique color pallete in his classic art style. His Spirit issues were one of the first things I read, and have a place in my heart for how beautiful they looked.

I hope he pulls through.

Salsa

heard about this earlier

Cooke is so unique. Artists with such strong sense of style working in comics are a treasure. wish him the best

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
One of the best graphic novels ever.

9r3Yj8W.jpg

I'm still waiting for the one that was supposed to come out in 2015, Darwyn. You better fuck up cancer and live to be 100.

[edit]

Fuck, so it might be terminal? I really hope that's not the case.

One of the best graphic novels ever.

9r3Yj8W.jpg

I'm still waiting for the one that was supposed to come out in 2015, Darwyn. You better fuck up cancer and live to be 100.

[edit]

Fuck, so it might be terminal? I really hope that's not the case.

There's no might about it, sadly.

Palliative care means he's terminal. It's just the best way to easy his family and himself into the acceptance of the reality of death and to make him suffer the least.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
There's no might about it, sadly.

Palliative care means he's terminal. It's just the best way to easy his family and himself into the acceptance of the reality of death and to make him suffer the least.

Wow, that's horrible.

I know it's cliche by now but 2016 really is a terrible year.

That sucks. He may actually be the best comic book artist of the current generation. His stuff somehow manages to feel both retro and totally fresh and new.

The 12 issues of the Spirit he did is definitely his most underrated work. Just a mindblowing run.

My avatar:

2613bd12e9321c576de7dabf7ea8cba3.jpg

VanWinkle

I'm so sad about this. He is probably my favorite artist. It just pains me that his has happened. I hope somehow, some way, he pulls through. I have to at least hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom