• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic artist Darwyn Cooke diagnosed with "aggressive cancer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydeen

Tweets are being deleted. Not sure if real yet.
Considering his wife posted this news, I think its safe to assume it's very much real.

Love Cooke's work, his work has a verve and energy and life to it few can match. Next to Bruce Timm and Mike Allred, he's the best comic-book artist in the business today. His Batman: Ego may be the best single, self-contained Batman comic to ever be published. Much love to him.

VanWinkle

Considering his wife posted this news, I think its safe to assume it's very much real.

Love Cooke's work, his work has a verve and energy and life to it few can match. Next to Bruce Timm and Mike Allred, he's the best comic-book artist in the business today. His Batman: Ego may be the best single, self-contained Batman comic to ever be published. Much love to him.

He's referring to an RIP tweet from Allred, which Allred deleted but then has spiraled out of control since then. There have been like twenty tweets a minute now saying RIP Darwyn Cooke without any actual confirmed source.

Rydeen

He's referring to an RIP tweet from Allred, which Allred deleted but then has spiraled out of control since then. There have been like twenty tweets a minute now saying RIP Darwyn Cooke without any actual confirmed source.

Gotcha, thought it was referring to the hospice / palliative care news.

Fjordson

Wow, tragic news. Dude is insanely good.

His adaptation of the Parker books were maybe my favourite. Incredible books.

That's sad. My thoughts are with his family and friends. I know what this is like, unfortunately.

I've never heard of him before, because I don't read comics, but apparently he's Canadian.

esai

Has there been an official post about his passing? I've seen several other artists post rip tweets. This is incredibly sad.

TheFlow

Banned
R.I.P

images

Zombine

Banned
Really upset over this. What an artist and one of my favorites. I never had the pleasure of meeting him at one of the cons :/

It hurts knowing that there will no longer be any gorgeous Parker books any time soon.
It hurts knowing that Darwyn Cooke will never pen another brilliant run of "The Spirit."
It just hurts knowing one of comic's greatest talents has died young.

Rest in peace, Mr. Cooke.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
RIP

The man was a legend.

It hurts knowing that there will no longer be any gorgeous Parker books any time soon.
It hurts knowing that Darwyn Cooke will never pen another brilliant run of "The Spirit."
It just hurts knowing one of comic's greatest talents has died young.

Rest in peace, Mr. Cooke.

Like 2 months ago or so I was googling to see if he had said anything about the next Parker book online since it was supposed to be out last year. Even tried to see if he had a public email where I could ask him about it.

Now we will never get it.

Savitar

To go from hearing he has cancer to dead is wow.

I won't mince words, I never cared about his art or his stories as some do. But I appreciated that he could reach out to people and bring them in with what he did and that takes talent, might not be my cup of tea but he made a lot of people happy with what he did. People got excited for his stuff in a way you don't exactly see for a lot of things.

Cancer seems to claim so many lately, I've known people and had my own family lose their battle with some form of it.

In the end may he be at peace and happy in whatever comes here after.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Way too fast. Fuck cancer.

His creative talents will be greatly missed.

Snaku

Banned
Cooke was a damn fine artist, certainly one of the best comic artists I've had the pleasure of enjoying. The last comic I bought that featured his art was He-Man: Eternity War #1, with his variant cover. So good. Rest in peace.

STK658438.jpg

This is the first time a comic creator has passed that I've truly loved. The guy was a legend and just incredibly talented. It upsets me greatly we'll never get anything more from him

If you are a fan and haven't checked out his Graphic Ink book that DC put out, do yourself and go get it. One of the best collections that DC has ever put together.

RIP Darwyn, I'll be pouring one out for you tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom