• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic artist Darwyn Cooke diagnosed with "aggressive cancer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooke was one of the greatest that this industry will ever see. He had a gift for capturing the Golden Age art style like no one else could. His art alone was what made me sit down and read New Frontier.

RIP Darwyn.

Supergirl_37.jpg

Loxley

DC released a statement:

Darwyn Cooke had a vision of the DC Universe that was uniquely his own, yet embraced by everyone. Once you saw his timeless designs and concepts for Batman, Catwoman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern or any other character, you immediately adopted his jubilant interpretation of these heroes as your own and wanted more. His take on the most iconic heroes in the world were breathtakingly direct and elegant, powerful and cool. His were some of the most beautiful, fun DC superhero images we have ever seen.

"Darwyn Cooke lived life like a character from a Micky Spillane novel, a throwback to a bygone era that was, more than occasionally, reflected in his work," said DC Comics Co-Publisher Dan DiDio. "He was both compassionate and combative, approaching everything he did with a tenaciousness and temerity that is now unheard of in a world afraid to offend. The simplistic brilliance of his art and the natural flow of his storytelling not only elevated but enhanced all projects he touched and his passion and love of comics was reflected in every panel of every page. Working with Darwyn was not without its challenges. There were times we'd spend hours arguing over story then go months without talking, but we always found our way back, drawn together by the common bond and friendship comics creates. This is an industry-wide loss that I feel personally, but the sadness is mitigated in the knowing that the beauty and grace of his art will forever stand the test of time and be a monument to all that is great about comics."

Darwyn was one of our medium’s true innovators. A gifted artist and master storyteller, Darwyn began his career as a magazine art director and graphic designer. After answering an ad placed by Warner Bros animator Bruce Timm, Darwyn entered the world of animation, where he contributed to such shows as Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series and Men In Black: The Series. From there, Darwyn made the leap into print comics, where his character design was never more effective, enduring or entrancing. It was the look and honest simplicity of his characters for which Cooke became famous—as first seen in his breakout work Batman: Ego published over 15 years ago today and then followed up by his popular and critically acclaimed work on Catwoman: Selina's Big Score and The Spirit. Even after 15 years, Darwyn's design for Catwoman is still the one used today in both comics and inspired the look for Catwoman on the hit TV show, Gotham.

An Eisner-award winning artist and accomplished writer, Darwyn has been a much-loved and respected member of the comics community. He lent his signature retro style to all corners of the DC Universe, from Jonah Hex to Before Watchmen to Vertigo Comic’s The Twilight Children and, of course, his master work, DC: The New Frontier. His bold, direct style, often compared to the works of Joe Kubert, Alex Toth and Jack Kirby, reflected his down to earth, no nonsense personality. Darwyn Cooke always claimed that he was a lucky man to have such a wonderful family, friends, and such a wonderful life. He lived that life with the same brilliance and fearlessness that so permeated his work. And for those of us who knew this one-of-a-kind and genuine soul, we were lucky as well.

om9iITB.jpg

Vibranium

Banned
Damn, this sucks so much, RIP to one of the best comics artists ever. Going to reread as much of his work I can find. I really should check out The Spirit as well...

Through some sort of bizarre coincidence Comixology has had a Darwyn Cooke sale since the beginning of the week. Gonna pickup some of his stuff I hadn't read.

New Frontier was what ended up getting me back into comics... it's also one of the tiny handful of physical books I own. Man had such a unique style. RIP.

Messi

Same. I've always felt a connection to him through his art. There was something pure and genuine about his style.

Jimmy Palmiotti posted this today. He was really close with Cooke.

Darwyn spoke his mind. Threw Caution to the wind. Lived large. Loved his friends. Treated comic characters with respect. I miss my friend.

The bolded part is a big part of why I believe we feel such a connection with him. I have never once seen a piece of his art and thought...well thats fucked up or he is trying to misrepresent the character. He always tried to bring out the best side of the characters he was working on. He had a very hopeful style.

Also that Jimmy message is heartbreaking :(

Cooke put Jimmy's name on the cover of graphic ink

seen this today too. Its kind of how I feel and I am sure many others.

Cic1ZoQVAAAgSA7.jpg

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Irreplaceable, timeless, just one of the all time greats. There will never be another like him.

VanWinkle

Such a sad day. Tragic loss of a comic legend. DC: The New Frontier is like the epiteme of what comics were, are, and strive to be. He had a timeless style that exudes hope and joy.

dream

I'm at the Doug Wright Awards in Toronto, and Seth is currently giving a beautiful memorial to Cooke.

"I wish I had discovered earlier how much I like you."

jett

D-Member
I wasn't familiar with the name but going by the pictures going in this thread we've clearly lost a huge talent. Can someone recommend some work from him? Preferably a standalone story.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wasn't familiar with the name but going by the pictures going in this thread we've clearly lost a huge talent. Can someone recommend some work from him? Preferably a standalone story.

XlgpvDe.jpg

I posted this earlier in the thread but I'll never pass up an opportunity to recommend Parker.

Chucker

This hit me. I met him a few times at Baltimore Comic Con. The last time was a few years ago. He had a sign up that said he was feeling under the weather and would only be doing autographs.

Fine by me, I was just stoked to talk to him.

He signed my New Frontier and we were talking about it and then he got to my Spirit hardcover. It was the first one he'd seen at the con.
We're talking, and he starts going to work.

q4lScln.jpg

He was a class act. RIP.

Literally lost a legend and one of my personal favorite artists. The man had a timeless style that will have a place in history for as long as there is memory to remember it. RIP good sir, you will be missed.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
One of the best artists in the business. What an immense loss. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom