• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

Is there an ominibus or tp of X-men(1991)? I've always wanted to read how wolverine got those bone claws and the stuff he did after.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
It's a great dynamic those two have. I hope nobody fucks it up by having them bang.

Clint thinks Kate is too young, but I think she's into him.

Valentine's Day issue gonna be so good.

Is there an ominibus or tp of X-men(1991)? I've always wanted to read how wolverine got those bone claws and the stuff he did after.

That era of stuff is pretty weak, IMO. I'll reiterate that the best and most tightly written X-Books are:

Morrison's New X-Men
Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Remender's Uncanny X-Force

then after reading those, you can fill out your collection with other arcs.

It's a great dynamic those two have. I hope nobody fucks it up by having them bang.

Eh? Never will happen...unless it was fanfic lol.

But seriously, their relationship will be very much a sibling-esqe one. Clint is like a '15 year old in a 35 year old body' and Kate is a 20 year old just putting up with him.

I kinda get that vibe too, but there are times where I think Clint just says/does stuff to annoy the crap out of her for kicks.

The whole bone claw thing happens over a while and in a couple different books, X-Men and Wolverine's solo series. I don't think it's all part of a single collection just yet. You can get X-Men 1-7 or something in a collection, but the bone claw story doesn't start until issue 25 and it's a really shitty and messy couple of years. You are better off reading issue summaries on uncannyxmen.net

Troll

Banned

In my opinion the 90's xmen stuff - well basically anything before Morrison's run- doesn't age well. You might have to try it for yourself and see if you can stomach how bad those comics truly are... But you might just want to wiki it.

I hope you end up buying them, enjoying them and it's the best thing ever. I'm just not sure you will.

Acid08

Banned
Eh? Never will happen...unless it was fanfic lol.

But seriously, their relationship will be very much a sibling-esqe one. Clint is like a '15 year old in a 35 year old body' and Kate is a 20 year old just putting up with him.

I kinda get that vibe too, but there are times where I think Clint just says/does stuff to annoy the crap out of her for kicks.
Nothing is ever really off limits in comics. I think as long as Fraction is writing the book it won't happen even though he does like to play around with the idea.

The whole reason Clint teams up with her is because he isn't into her in that way. She may have been a bit insulted.
Yeah, that's how I read that too. Kate's not secretly in love with Clint or anything (yet), but there's definitely a little "wounded pride" at work there, like "well, why doesn't he think of me that way, even just a little?" Whether it leads anywhere is another matter.

Nothing is ever really off limits in comics. I think as long as Fraction is writing the book it won't happen even though he does like to play around with the idea.

I tweeted him (don't remember when exactly) last year as someone asked David Aja Clint and Kate's ages. The relationship was brought up in a roundabout manner when the '15 year in a 35 year old body' for Clint and 'around 20' for Kate was mentioned. Both Matt and David agreed that they're pretty much like siblings that heckle each other and that would be it.

Still, it's strangely an idea that would be fun, especially considering YA #1 and Clint's weird love life to begin with.

Onemic

That era of stuff is pretty weak, IMO. I'll reiterate that the best and most tightly written X-Books are:

Morrison's New X-Men
Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
Remender's Uncanny X-Force

then after reading those, you can fill out your collection with other arcs.

What's special about New X-men? I was looking this up earlier on Amazon and noticed that it had really low reviews.

Noh-Varr ain't got shit on Hawkguy and Kate knows it.

She still probably daydreams about the day when he was shirtless in her VW Bug lol.

...One of the best moments from issue 3 strangely.

Dude... we need to meet up and talk comics one of these days. Hopefully Bay Gaf meet-up happens lol.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What's special about New X-men? I was looking this up earlier on Amazon and noticed that it had really low reviews.

This is what I'm talking about, BTW. Don't know what low reviews you're seeing but the omnibus I linked is widely considered the greatest X-Book of all time. It's pretty amazing stuff, and at $80 shipped for 1,000+ pages it is a god damned steal.

Isn't Clint dating spider women or did I dream that
He was but I don't know if it's still going on atm...

Her picture is on this promo for the Valentine's Day issue so I think we'll see something going on soon...

BAXEhX8CMAAxdN8.jpg

Onemic

This is what I'm talking about, BTW. Don't know what low reviews you're seeing but the omnibus I linked is widely considered the greatest X-Book of all time. It's pretty amazing stuff, and at $80 shipped for 1,000+ pages it is a god damned steal.

I was looking at this

That omnibus is colossal.....I won't be touching that for a while, but it'll definitely be on my wish list.

frye

Hows the art? That's another thing I keep seeing criticized.

It's really spotty at places. Frank Quitely is amazing obviously but he's a really slow artist and is quickly taken over by fill-ins...and then fill-ins for fill-ins...

Chris Bachalo does an arc towards the end that's really good but all in all New X-Men is a book worth reading in spite of the art rather than because of it.

kswiston

Man. That ending to Fear Agent. I think I had dust in my eye for a second there.

Hows the art? That's another thing I keep seeing criticized.

I didn't like the stuff by Kordly or Silvestri, but most of the artists on the book were decent to great. Just don't expect consistency.

If you are not against reading comics on your computer (and iOS devices now I think), you should probably look into subscribing to Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited. The service isn't all that great for new releases (>2011), but it has almost all of the classic Marvel runs you have been asking about. Over 10 000 back issues offered Netflix style for $10/month or $60/year. Less if you can find a coupon.

ReiGun

For me, I'll say it's one of the few times I've actually cared about reading the X-Men (other notable examples being Uncanny X-Force and early Wolverine and the X-men).

^^I hate that Emma outfit. It looks so dumb.

Onemic

The art is great, IMO. But Quitely has a very distinct style.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/kid-omega.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.comicsplace.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/wolverine-frank-Quitely.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://geekdraw.com/storage/post/process/frank-quitely-newxmen116-2001.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1335280365556[IMG]

Also, fuck the omnibus. [B]So hard to read[/B]. Get the 3 Ultimate Collections.[/QUOTE]

whys that?

Her picture is on this promo for the Valentine's Day issue so I think we'll see something going on soon...

I really do love that pic (it's my phone's wallpaper right now) as well as reminds me that he's either into redheads or brunettes. Bobbi's like the exception.

Acid08

Banned
Does FF require previous reading to get into? I haven't read Hickman's run(yes I'm going to read it, shut up) but would love some more Fraction goodness.

I'm loving FF so far, the new team has a great dynamic and how they interact with the kids is a real treat. Future johnny is definitely hiding something, and going after Doom? There's no way that ends well, but if it's anything like in the Point One special I am totally down for the team ruining Doom's day like a bunch of rotten neighborhood kids.

The filling on new x-men are terrible . Ethan van Sciver putti shit ok every page is amazon tho
that took me a while to parse out. o_O

Quake1028

Last night I read Marvel Zombies and Spider-Man: Noir. I thought MZ was pretty good but SM: Noir was fucking incredible. LOVED the art in that damn book.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Wolverine as played by your greasy, bodybuilder, uncle Nino.

kswiston

Does FF require previous reading to get into? I haven't read Hickman's run(yes I'm going to read it, shut up) but would love some more Fraction goodness.

Not really.

Basically what you need to know:

Reed got sick of dealing with scientists who were afraid to move society forward, so he created the future foundation. Sort of a school for kid geniuses of many races. Why each kid is at the school was explained in Hickman's run, but you don't really need to know that for the current FF run. Anyhow, some time later he decided to take his family on a year long field trip through time and space (for plot device reasons). While he only plans on being gone 4 minutes by Earth's standards, he needs to find someone to watch over the Future Foundation and serve as the stand-ins for the Fantastic Four.

There's the set up. You get a little more out of reading the previous run obviously, but the book is perfectly enjoyable on its own.

EDIT: I am talking about FF. I dropped Fraction's Fantastic Four because I didn't really dig it, especially in comparison to what was happening in Hickman's run. FF is much better.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think I am going to pickup this week:

Hawkeye #7
SSM #2
FF #1-3
Nowhere Men #1-3

That's a good list, add Talon to it if you're not already reading it. Sleeper hit, gets little to no hype and yet has been consistently good since launch.

Or a Wolverine drawn by Humberto Ramos, when he mutated into a giraffe.
l8vY7An.jpg

Oh Ramos. There are times your art can be good and I like it, then you do this and make me hate you all over again. The worst part is I know he can draw a better Wolverine. He's done it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom