• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cop kills Dog. Owner just a tad more than slightly pissed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siegcram

The world is not black and white, might as well stay indoors...
Dude you're full of it. Just stop. We have all the facts necessary to declare this cop as a trigger-happy POS. That's all there is to it.

That and the fact that this thread exposed several members with serious empathy disorders.

NJDEN

Wow, a lot of bashing police in this thread... People need to understand that not all cops are evil due to the actions of one. I get that their are plenty of bad ones, but you also need to take into consideration that their are plenty of good ones that do their job right.

If your dog was purposely hit by a car you wouldn't go around slandering everyone who drives a car...

I do feel bad for the guy and I also have a dog of my own and would be extremely sad if this happened. He has a right to be as angry as he wants with the Salt Lake City PD and should rightfully receive compensation for his loss.

werks

Banned
There's a difference between arguing matters of law and legality versus fiction. If you can't see the difference, I can't help you there.
What you wrote was fiction. No one ran into the yard except for the cop. There was no suspect. There wasnt any kid in danger because we would have heard about it from the police dept by now

Roo

I can see where this is going go with the whole taser thing...

Those are your facts. Do you know the dog owner? Are you his lawyer? Are you working with the police department handling the case? Are you with animal control?

Who are you really...to state "these are facts"? How are you qualified? Clicking on a link and reading an article?

Disgusting, simply disgusting.

jts

...hate me...
Hope that cop just outright falls from the face of the earth. Really I wish him death.

iammeiam

So according to this article, a 3 year-old went missing at 3:30. The cops went door-to-door. At around 4, the officer showed up at Kendall's place, knocked on the front door, got no response, so let himself into the back yard to look around. At roughly the same time as the dog, confronted with a stranger in its own yard, approached the officer "aggressively", the missing child was located asleep in his own basement.

So if I'm reading this right, pet owners who live in neighborhoods with children, aren't home 24/7, and keep their pets in their enclosed yard need to accept their animals being shot to death if a kid goes missing while they're at work because... I don't know, it seems an indicator to me that the system is messed up.

Wow, a lot of bashing police in this thread... People need to understand that not all cops are evil due to the actions of one. I get that their are plenty of bad ones, but you also need to take into consideration that their are plenty of good ones that do their job right.

Stop being rational when it comes to cops. This is GAF.

That said, I find it hard to find a situation where a cop would feel threatened by a dog like that when they have a non-lethal option and shouldn't have even been on the property to begin with.

Exactly what he said.

His argument is already getting stupid enough. Don't do this horseshit.

It essentially is what he said. He compared having your dog shot to having your skateboard run over. He stated that the guy shouldn't have gotten upset because it solves nothing (apparently being emotionless is easy). He said the guy was acting like a 13 year old (another way of saying he should have manned up).

That said, I find it hard to find a situation where a cop would feel threatened by a dog like that when they have a non-lethal option and shouldn't have even been on the property to begin with.

It is being rational to point out that there are good cops doing their job. People probably know that. But sadly, "good" cops play a part in the blue code of silence. There is system wide corruption. Pointing out that there are good cops doesn't fix that. You can't target individual bad cops when the whole system is fucked.

Katsa

Banned
Someone definitely has a cop in their immediate family or as a close friend. Holy shit

Well, something like that. And I've heard first-hand stories of things that are poorly reported by the media (for sensationalism). I am able to see the cop's point of view, which not very many people can't. If this is unpopular, so be it.

CLBridges

Either way, composure and self-control goes a long way. What good does it do me to whine, bitch, cuss, cry, etc.? Is it going to fix the problem? No. You deal with it, and try to find a solution (in this case move, get another dog or file a lawsuit, whatever the case).

Also, a dog is not a human. I love animals (I'm a vegetarian), but no animal can compare to a human being.

No shit (at the bolded). But, you're assuming that the victim shares your same beliefs regarding life (humans more valuable than animals). If an animal has been with you since say childhood into adulthood (just speculation), you don't see how someone could be just as attached as another human being.

And, honestly yes, sometimes whining, bitching, crying etc. does fix a problem (getting the emotions out so we may move on). Humans express emotions through these methods at times when feeling overwhelmed. But, good luck on your journey to Roboticization (video game reference).

one_kill

If your dog was purposely hit by a car you wouldn't go around slandering everyone who drives a car...

I do feel bad for the guy and I also have a dog of my own and would be extremely sad if this happened. He has a right to be as angry as he wants with the Salt Lake City PD and should rightfully receive compensation for his loss.
Police bashing? Sure there might be some knee jerk reactions here, but most of the posts are reasonable. The cop is blamed, not all the cops involved nor cops in general.

I'm not the one stating "these are the facts". That's the difference...
There are facts and they're quite telling:
- Cops looking for missing child
- Cops decide to investigate a home
- Home owner isn't at home
- Cop decides to check it out anyway
- Cop goes to the yard
- There's a dog in the yard that is likely to have gotten aggressive
- Cop felt threatened and killed the dog
- Owner was informed

It essentially is what he said.

No it isn't. You intentionally are making it sound as abrasive as possible and insulting as possible to try to dismiss his posts.

They should be dismissed, but paraphrasing to "man up you pussy" or something is idiotic.

I also enjoy your quotes around "good" in your post. I'm not even going to bother debating that part with you since I doubt I'll change your mind on it.

PsychBat!

Banned
The people who come here and say that there's a lot of police bashing in this thread. There isn't. It's just this one particular cop that shot the dog while the dog did absolutely nothing.

Amazing.

Well, something like that. And I've heard first-hand stories of things that are poorly reported by the media (for sensationalism). I am able to see the cop's point of view, which not very many people can't. If this is unpopular, so be it.

intro-dcmf.gif

No it isn't. You intentionally are making it sound as abrasive as possible and insulting as possible to try to dismiss his posts.

They should be dismissed, but paraphrasing to "man up you pussy" or something is idiotic.

Saying that the guy acted like a 13 year old and needs to remain composed and stop being so emotional is just a slightly more eloquent way of saying "man up you pussy."

I also enjoy your quotes around "good" in your post. I'm not even going to bother debating that part with you since I doubt I'll change your mind on it.

Quotes are around the word good because good cops are still part of a generally corrupt organization that shields bad cops from legal repercussions. Which in some ways makes them not really good cops.

Katsa

Banned
Dude you're full of it. Just stop. We have all the facts necessary to declare this cop as a trigger-happy POS. That's all there is to it.

That and the fact that this thread exposed several members with serious empathy disorders.

You mean like "cop hate'?

With all due respect because I don't know you, what the Fuck does this have to do with anything in this thread ?

Siegcram

Right, because the other side has absolutely no interest in telling the story favorably for them.

And even if we put aside this cop entered a back yard he wasn't legally allowed to and was approached by the dog in an agressive manner (unconfirmed btw), he still had other options than killing said dog.

traveler

Not Wario
What makes this decision even more baffling is the fact that the cop was in the yard presumably to find the wandering child, and still thought it ok to discharge his gun. What if the kid had actually been in the yard and the cop missed or the bullet ricochet'd? Heartbreaking, borderline sociopathic, and incredibly dumb. I wouldn't want someone with such terrible decision making in most positions, much less one where they are authorized to carry lethal force on them and act above the law.

Mononoke

Banned

I don't agree with his post. But you don't think that people are often quick to jump to conclusions without knowing the full story? I see it pretty often. Although I would say more often than not (in cases like this), the cop ends up being in the wrong. Still, this notion that there is only ONE side to a story, and the cop is always wrong is a pretty stupid perspective to take.

theWB27

The world is not black and white, might as well stay indoors...

Your rationale is weird....you're being more black and white than any one here.

You're basically saying your dog is dead, move on and get another one.
Also he shouldn't have been emotional that his best friend was killed because it's not human.

It seems at this point you're just getting people riled up cause you know damn well dogs aren't "just animals" to a shitload of dog owners. You're being intentionally dense, and ignorant to what happened in the video.

The cop stood there and told him they were looking for a child, the cop entered his residence, felt threatened enough to shoot the dog.

A very valid question was asked, especially since the dog owner knows where his dog was and where the fence is....why the hell didn't the cop just back up.

Cops have other gear on them that prevents them from having to use deadly force.

Obviously you're a bit more detached from animals as others.....and distorting the facts in the video to further your baseless argument about black and white and waiting for legal BS.

EDIT- The worst part is THAT cop decided to leave the scene and leave the others to answer for him. Right off the bat...that was odd.

Mononoke

Banned
No, I mean like saying "deal with it" to a guy whose pet just got gunned down for no reason.
Hating the person who did that (in this case a cop) is entirely justified among normal human beings.

Even if the cop was in the right (which I don't think he was here), telling someone to "deal with it" is very shitty thing to do.

Next time you need help ask the dog for it, there's good and bad everywhere, including violent dogs but I guess that's a too hard of a concept for some people.

Asking a dog for help probably would be more effective than asking the police for help if you live in a notoriously bad area.

NJDEN

Really..?
The day people stop rationalizing is the day the world goes to pure shit...
Besides, GAF isn't a one trick pony, there are plenty of us that don't fold into what is considered the general member. I do still feel for that gentleman and his loss, but that doesn't label every police officer a criminal. I hope he is properly compensated for his loss and has friends and family to support him in his time of need.

one_kill

I don't agree with his post. But you don't think that people are often quick to jump to conclusions without knowing the full story? I see it pretty often. Although I would say more often than not (in cases like this), the cop ends up being in the wrong. Still, this notion that there is only ONE side to a story, and the cop is always wrong is a pretty stupid perspective to take.
I agree, but it's pretty clear what happened. Of course we don't know what exactly happened, but one could ask the right questions to find out.

Why did you enter the yard?
What assumptions did you have that was so reasonable that made you consider entering the yard?
Did you notice the dog before entering the yard?
Why did you use a gun? Did you have a baton or a taser?

So if I'm reading this right, pet owners who live in neighborhoods with children, aren't home 24/7, and keep their pets in their enclosed yard need to accept their animals being shot to death if a kid goes missing while they're at work because... I don't know, it seems an indicator to me that the system is messed up.

More specifically, based on this, pet owners are responsible for ensuring that their pet cannot possibly act aggressively (not even attack, just behave in an aggressive fashion) towards police officers that may enter their property without warning, at any time, without a warrant, but parents who call the cops to report a missing child aren't even responsible for checking their own fucking house to see if the child is there first. :/

Wow, a lot of bashing police in this thread... People need to understand that not all cops are evil due to the actions of one.

Distrust and dislike of the police as an institution is pretty well justified in the US, as a result of widespread institutional efforts to militarize police actions, shield officers from the consequences of illegitimate shootings or other inappropriate actions, maintain racist policies in the face of public outrage, and sacrifice citizen rights in support of questionable improvements for officer safety. It's certainly very possible for an individual person to be an upstanding police officer, but in most jurisdictions the force actively protects officers who engage in racist, violent, or outright criminal behavior, which makes it very risky to trust an officer you don't know, and very hard not to be outraged at every story of a violent death caused by police misconduct.

Love your simple view of life.

i broke it down so you can understand.

your damage controlling a cop that killed a dog for no appropriate reason after trespassing on private property. you feel the need to damage control a cop who was in the wrong because you have members of the police force in your life.

Really..?
The day people stop rationalizing is the day the world goes to pure shit...
Besides, GAF isn't a one trick pony, there are plenty of us that don't fold into what is considered the general member. I do still feel for that gentleman and his loss, but that doesn't label every police officer a criminal. I hope he is properly compensated for his loss and has friends and family to support him in his time of need.

sarcasm

Katsa

Banned
Right, because the other side has absolutely no interest in telling the story favorably for them.

And even if we put aside this cop entered a back yard he wasn't legally allowed to and was approached by the dog in an agressive manner (unconfirmed btw), he still had other options than killing said dog.

Sure he does. He has a taser, baton, chemical, maybe a knife, and the sidearm. However, this is what people here are failing to see..."it depends". Was the dog around the corner? Charging at him? Lunged at him?

It could be the the officer was poorly trained as well (in which case he is liable) and it also depends on agency policy.

If he was in the guy's property, without an exigent circumstance, than the officer is probably liable (whether the dog charged was aggressive or not).

NJDEN

With all due respect because I don't know you, what the Fuck does this have to do with anything in this thread ?

LINE 1: People are bashing cops based on the action of this one asshole. I'm trying to point out not all are bad, but yes, some are...

LINE 2: An example of a similar situation, except replace cop with motorist.

LINE 3: My condolences to the gentlemen who lost his dog and I hope he has the best legal outcome and he has family & friends to support him in his time of need.

Did I spell it out enough or do I need to explain it a little bit more so you can comprehend it?

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Not shaming the guy, I'd be upset if my dog was harmed. However, if the officer was chasing a suspect who ran into my backyard, and my dog charged at the officer during this altercation, leaving the officer with no option but to fend off my dog, I wouldn't be so quick to blame the officer. I'd be pissed at the suspect for going into property, and dragging the cops with him.

He sounded like a 13-yo kid who's skateboard was just ran over by a car. This is why the officers were really just observing the guy, because he was acting semi-belligerent. He needed to keep his composure and have an intelligent dialogue (whether he was genuinely upset or looking for a lawsuit).

This forum should require empathy tests before giving membership.

TheJLC

Sounds justified if there was a kid in danger in the backyard of the house or other exigent circumstance. Shooting your dog in your private property is allowed if an officer is attacked by said dog. If you open the door to answer the police and a dog rushes to the cop, it can be shot dead. If some a-hole happens to run into your fenced yard with an officer in hot pursuit, and the dog attacks the officer, the officer can kill the dog.

It's actually up to the owner to have a dog trained not to attack upon first sight of a stranger. And it's up to the owner to place warning signs around the property allowing officers and even thieves to know that there is a dog on the premises. Usually the owner is the one liable in most circumstances involving police shooting dogs.

Now, I would also be pissed as hell too. I have two dogs and love them like my kids. If an officer ignored any of the signs that there was a dog on the premises and went in anyway without there being a danger to life or other exigent circumstance, I would go ballistic too.

In this incident there is very little legally one can do, especially if the officer's story adds up.

Mononoke

Banned
I agree, but it's pretty clear what happened. Of course we don't know what exactly happened, but one could ask the right questions to find out.

Why did you enter the yard?
What assumptions did you have that was so reasonable that made you consider enterting the yard?
Did you notice the dog before entering the yard?

Yeah I agree. My post wasn't really aimed at this case specifically. I just keep seeing a couple posters go beyond the case and talking about cops in general. For me it's like, even if we accept the premise that all cops are crooked (or the vast majority of them are), then what good does it do to keep pushing an anti-cop/hatred attitude towards the profession, vs trying to fix it and clean it up.

I just don't see why anyone (the good people that SHOULD be doing the job), would want to join a profession where people label everyone in that field as terrible and crooked. And it also doesn't help the cops that ARE good who are in the profession, and being treated with across the board hostility. It comes off as a lazy way to deal with the issue. Again, not saying we shouldn't criticize and be angry. We should! But I think there is better solutions than "all cops are pigs" and "fuck the police" blah blah.

Tom Penny

Cops have shot humans in " self defense " and people seem surprised and outraged that a cop shot a dog because he felt threatened.

LINE 1: People are bashing cops based on the action of this one asshole. I'm trying to point out not all are bad, but yes, some are...

No, not really because of the action of one cop. This is because of numerous stories similar to this. And numerous cases where police agencies were seen covering up for and protecting police officers who did extremely heinous things. There is an organization wide problem with the blue code of silence.

Would be nice if you could respond to:
Distrust and dislike of the police as an institution is pretty well justified in the US, as a result of widespread institutional efforts to militarize police actions, shield officers from the consequences of illegitimate shootings or other inappropriate actions, maintain racist policies in the face of public outrage, and sacrifice citizen rights in support of questionable improvements for officer safety. It's certainly very possible for an individual person to be an upstanding police officer, but in most jurisdictions the force actively protects officers who engage in racist, violent, or outright criminal behavior, which makes it very risky to trust an officer you don't know, and very hard not to be outraged at every story of a violent death caused by police misconduct.

Sounds justified if there was a kid in danger in the backyard of the house or other exigent circumstance. Shooting your dog in your private property is allowed if an officer is attacked by said dog. If you open the door to answer the police and a dog rushes to the cop, it can be shot dead. If some a-hole happens to run into your fenced yard with an officer in hot pursuit, and the dog attacks the officer, the officer can kill the dog.

Reading must be hard. The child wasn't anywhere near the property. The kid wasn't in danger. They didn't have a warrant to search the property.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
You mean like "cop hate'?

No we mean "quite bean mean to all cops everywhere!" when the majority of the people here are saying that THIS cop is an asshole that deserves to get got and that more than likely the shitty system of police here in 'Murica and people and families like YOU who blindly side with cops because of some emotional/personal tie to an officer is why a LOT of people don't fucking like cops.

It's a cycle that people like you help to perpetuate and it's a detriment to citizens and officers everywhere.

Mononoke

Banned
No, not really because of the action of one cop. This is because of numerous stories similar to this. And numerous cases where police agencies were seen covering up for and protecting police officers who did extremely heinous things. There is an organization wide problem with the blue code of silence.

It's a problem with the system for sure. To say there isn't a problem, would be ignoring the many corrupt cases that happen over and over again on a weekly basis. That said, saying that these cases = the majority of all cops, or ignoring all the cases where cops do their job right, is pretty problematic. All this said, not everyone is suggesting that.

Siegcram

Sure he does. He has a taser, baton, chemical, maybe a knife, and the sidearm. However, this is what people here are failing to see..."it depends". Was the dog around the corner? Charging at him? Lunged at him?

It could be the the officer was poorly trained as well (in which case he is liable) and it also depends on agency policy.

If he was in the guy's property, without an exigent circumstance, than the officer is probably liable (whether the dog charged was aggressive or not).
So you switched from victim blaming to conjuring up hypotheticals and making obvious statements? Great.

What's your point, anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom