• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-Network Play twitter campaign for PS4/XBOXONE/PC (also a wall of text about it)

quest

Not Banned from OT
PC, despite Windows being the OS of choice is still very much considered a neutral zone due to the open nature (currently) of it. Sony gives devs a bit more leeway while still saying they cannot directly support their competitor (The Xbox), and for games published by them (such as Helldivers), they can still make some money off the top as a result. PC is also seen as more complicated to get set-up and running, so the convenience factor of a console means Sony isn't all that scared of PC stealing their potential market-share, they're more scared of a direct competitor in the form of Xbox.

That is not even remotely true. Sony is much more likely to lose a gamer to the PC than Xbox. It happened a lot at the end of last generation. It is one of the reasons behind the NEO. If Sony was worried about losing gamers they would shut off any cross platform especially with PC. This is all about the bad Sony we have seen since launch where they have done a 180 on the 4thegamers mantra.

MUnited83

For you.
They don't? One of the biggest selling points for buying a console is being able to play with your friends. Sony has the userbase advantage, which means they'd likely win out on purchases bought for that reason ("All my friends own a PS4, so I might as well grab one to play CoD with them."). Allowing cross-platform play with the Xbox machines means Sony loses that snowball effect, and in fact gives Microsoft a number of advantages due to their aggressiveness in pricing and upcoming stronger hardware.

Not being able to play with everyone sucks for the end consumer, but it's not a bad idea for business.

But that's not really a valid argument, because people aren't asking for global cross network play among all titles. People are asking that the devs who want to implement such a thing should be able to. The ammount of games supporting would always be a small portion of the total games in the system regardless, so the argument that people won't buy a PS4 because they can play with their friends doesn't really work all that well.

Mind you, crossplay also comes with: no party feature, no invites, no voice chat, etc, etc. Hence, this will have little to no effect on the audience you claim it would.

Listening to Adam Boyes on the Bombcast telling the story of how he asked the Microsoft guys how crossplay between consoles would work and they couldn't answer him was pretty amusing.

Microsoft didn't plan this out ahead of time as much as Sony probably doesn't want to do it.

In the case of RL the work is already done. PC is already playing with both Xbox and PS4 they just won't match PS4 and Xbox together because they are not allowed to.

Meh...every game MP population is good enough for me. I think it's unnecessary personally.
Not every game has a healthy population across all platforms and more people means better matchmaking. In the case of RL having all three together makes it easier for them to run the online qualifiers of their Championship series without having to split it up.

MUnited83

For you.
Listening to Adam Boyes on the Bombcast telling the story of how he asked the Microsoft guys how crossplay between consoles would work and they couldn't answer him was pretty amusing.

Microsoft didn't plan this out ahead of time as much as Sony probably doesn't want to do it.

It's not exactly hard. The RL dudes already have all the groundwork done. They basically just need the OK from Sony and that's it.

Judging by Adam Boyes comments on Giant Bombcast (he doesn't work for Sony anymore but it might indicate what people are thinking there) it doesn't seem like Sony will allow it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8ziMqtSpdM&feature=youtu.be&t=2h16m34s

I thought it was really telling about Sony's stance on the issue at the moment (even though he's not there anymore). He was extremely downplaying the possible benefits which I thought was weird considering Sony tout PC crossplay as a plus. Would the experience really be any different than that on the player side?

Even if its only bigger matchmaking polls, everyone wins. Sure, you may not be able to play with your friends in other platforms but it will increase the life of a game. Eventhough, if it becomes a common features, more developers will implement in-game friends systems. No matter what perspective you see it, users only benefit from this, it is a endeavour worths pursiuing.

Interfectum

Meh. I don't see why some people want this so badly. Things are fine the way they are right now.

Imagine a game like Hearthstone coming out on PS4 and it only has other PS4 players in the matchmaking pool instead of everyone else. Imagine if the PS4 version goes one step further and you have to restart your deck from scratch.

Gamers and devs are getting to the point where they want one huge playerpool and a way to play games across all platforms, with all purchases intact across all platforms.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
don't you mind supporting those who care?

That's why he's saying good luck lol.

That doesn't mean he has to fight for the cause.

If sony doesn't wanna do it with ms not sure why they do it with pc.

???

You mean how they have literally done for far more cross platform PC games than MS have this gen? There is no equivalence between an open platform like PC and a direct publishing competitor with their own closed ecosystem.

That's just how they are likely thinking about it.

Good luck randomly being matched with them if this ever happens.

This is what makes it hard for me to care. My brother has an Xbone and if we could match up and play together I'd be all for it. But if this just increases the pool of randos I'm not sure it's a big enough deal for me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is what makes it hard for me to care. My brother has an Xbone and if we could match up and play together I'd be all for it. But if this just increases the pool of randos I'm not sure it's a big enough deal for me.

THis is largely just about increasing the general pool of players for the overall ecosystem, but you won't generally be able to interact with them in any way really.

krang

This.

Will support, though. We need to get the ball rolling, and hopefully chat, matchmaking and friends access will come later.

BigEmil

I can see this being an incentive mostly for PC users.
For example the person has a multiplayer game on his PC but this person's friends play that same multiplayer game but on another platform.
So to play with them that person has to buy that console.
So yeah this doesn't benefit Sony or Microsoft much at all

I can see this being an incentive mostly for PC users.
For example the person has a multiplayer game on his PC but this person's friends play that same multiplayer game but on another platform.
So to play with them that person has to buy that console.
So yeah this doesn't benefit Sony or Microsoft much at all

If only more people thought about what benefited us as gamers rather than what benefited the platform holders. This thread about about telling these companies what we want.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I thought it was really telling about Sony's stance on the issue at the moment (even though he's not there anymore). He was extremely downplaying the possible benefits which I thought was weird considering Sony tout PC crossplay as a plus. Would the experience really be any different than that on the player side?

It was easy for Sony to talk about the benefits of cross play before Microsoft was willing to do it. It would be awesome if Sony was still willing to, but Microsoft would have the advantage -- Windows and Xbox players can party together while Sony players can't. It doesn't even matter if the game is on the Windows store as the party function is via the OS.

It was easy for Sony to talk about the benefits of cross play before Microsoft was willing to do it. It would be awesome if Sony was still willing to, but Microsoft would have the advantage -- Windows and Xbox players can party together while Sony players can't. It doesn't even matter if the game is on the Windows store as the party function is via the OS.

This is not true unless the companies use Xbox Live on PC which I think most won't do.

Shrennin

This is not true unless the companies use Xbox Live on PC which I think most won't do.

You can be in an Xbox Live party while someone plays LoL and I, for instance, play Halo 5. You just need an Xbox Live account on Windows to have it set up, but it doesn't matter what game you are playing because the party system is separate from the game. I use the party system to talk to friends on PC all the time. Granted, I'm not sure what games they are playing but LoL shows up as something my friends are playing. The party system should work regardless even though LoL isn't on XBL.

Guymelef

You mean Microsoft's Windows 10 games.
Not so different from PS4 users playing with PSV/PS3 users.

Shrennin

You mean Microsoft's Windows 10 games.
Not so different from PS4 users playing with PSV/PS3 users.

Windows should give the party functionality to all games on Windows since it's separate from the game. LoL even shows up as a game my friends are playing even if it's not a Windows 10 game. That was my point.

You can be in an Xbox Live party while someone plays LoL and I, for instance, play Halo 5. You just need an Xbox Live account on Windows to have it set up, but it doesn't matter what game you are playing because the party system is separate from the game. I use the party system to talk to friends on PC all the time.

Ah I get what you're saying. I used to do that with skype though and many PS4 people just use discord or something from their PC's or cell phones. It's not much of a benefit when you can't group together however.

Shrennin

Ah I get what you're saying. I used to do that with skype though and many PS4 people just use discord or something from their PC's or cell phones. It's not much of a benefit when you can't group together however.

Yeah, it's just an advantage Microsoft would have since Windows 10 is part of the XBL ecosystem now irregardless of game.

aadiboy

A Souls game with the playerbase of 3 consoles would be amazing...but I wouldn't want PC hackers to ruin the game for everyone, so I'm not sure how that would work out.

A Souls game with the playerbase of 3 consoles would be amazing...but I wouldn't want PC hackers to ruin the game for everyone, so I'm not sure how that would work out.

I've played every souls game at least 300 hours on PC and mostly PvP and can honestly say the hacker thing is absolutely over blown. Ran into maybe 4 in DS1, None on DS2 and None of DS3. I'm sure it happens and maybe some people have worse luck but it's not as bad as one might imagine and in no way a reason not to unify a small userbase.

#passtheballsony

This line of thinking still makes zero sense to me. Sony gains from allowing this. They don't lose anything.
Yes, they do. In fact, the only company that gains here is Microsoft. Why allow Xbone punters to reap the benefits of Sony's worldwide dominance when it's more lucrative to convince them to move to the PSN ecosystem instead?
Please don't get me wrong: from a pure consumer perspective, I agree with opening up the networks to cross play. 100%.

From a business standpoint, however? You make it harder to stay in the Xbone section, not easier. You want access to all those Rocket League users on PlayStation? Purchase a PS4.

I'd let Microsoft continue to pound sand.

Absolutely support X-Play for fighting games, PC players need support from console players for longevity and not letting a game to die online within days/weeks of it's release window.

However, I firmly stand with both SONY & MSFT for all shooters - a resounding NO for PC (not even in the options/settings to turn X-Play on/off - people are far too clever to not emulate input devices with a KB/M; An entire console playerbase can't be put at risk just so that a handful could get to play online - As to title mentioned in the OP, Overwatch is densely populated on all platforms anyway).

But every MP game on consoles should be X-Play.

www.bf4stats.com

Taking the current BF4 numbers for example (do take into account that BF1's looking to smoke BF4's numbers), imagine a playerbase like BF1, 3 years after it's release later this year, instead of having segregated daily pools of 48,600 on PS4 and 35,000 on X1, becoming a unified pool with 84,000 players with X-Play between consoles <3 (and we haven't even counted the NX in yet).

This.

Will support, though. We need to get the ball rolling, and hopefully chat, matchmaking and friends access will come later.
that's the spirit. If this feature becomes standard, more developers will implement in game party/chat systems and overall will be a benefit for users on every platform.
I can see why it doesn't make sense from business perspective but it is a benefit from a consumer one. People should be supporting this for Sony to give up to the pressure. Thankfully the media seems eager to aid the efforts and give Sony some PR headaches.

tuna_love

Banned
having a bigger pool of players would be great for people like me who are generally shit at games, more shit people to play against

Trup1aya

Should probably listen to the latest Giant Bombcast. It sheds light on how this really doesn't benefit anyone. You're going to be trading a seamless experience for something pretty generic. It's not very likely that they'll be able to integrate friends lists from 3 different networks. You'll be playing against randoms and who needs that unless the online population on one network is dead. Alternatively, you'll be creating a network ID for a specific game rather than having it travel across multiple games.

I don't understand this. Are people opposed to playing "against randoms"?

The vast majority of my matchmaking games are against people I don't know... should I really care what system they are on?

I imagine the typical gamer gets into a party with their friends, then plays against people they don't know... X-play wouldn't change this dynamic.

This will never happen. MS says they are into it because they know it will never happen and it's free positive PR. This would require two competing companies to work together for a cause with no finical incentive, which will never happen.

Good luck though.

The competing companies don't even have to work together. Psyonix for example, handles all of the handshaking on their end. All it takes is for both companies to give the ok.

And there is no loss to either company, only the opportunity to extend the life of MP games... Which means more opportunity to profit from DLC...

LordofPwn

I have a feeling Psyonix could probably just flip the switch and no one playing on PS4 or XBO would even notice. Would just look like more PC players.

JoeLT

Everyone who is saying that the larger player pool will make no difference and don't care obviously live in the US, UK or some other huge online gaming population.
Think of all the smaller communities that are absolutely tiny and spread out across sometimes as many as six platforms. Games die incredibly fast in these regions and this would change that considerably.
This along with making DLC maps free to stop breaking up the population are so incredibly important to me and actually being able to play my MP games for longer than a few months.

I did my part, everything should be more open.

I can't even believe there are people on here that wouldn't agree. It boggles my mind, are consoles wars THAT engrained? Hopefully this takes off like Operation Rainfall.

Lothars

I'm definitely not convinced it's Sony that's the hold out on this no matter what Microsoft says. It should definitely happen but It seems like there's something more to this.

wapplew

I'm definitely not convinced it's Sony that's the hold out on this no matter what Microsoft says. It should definitely happen but It seems like there's something more to this.

Does it matter?
If you support this, just tweet away to whoever you think is holding out.

Microsoft hasn't been saying anything, it's been third parties like Namco and CD Projekt RED. And they're saying it's Sony.

TheKeyPit

Banned
There it is again "The population is good enough. We don't need this.".

WRONG!!!

Rocket League: It has a pretty good amount of players with PS4/PC and PC/XboxOne, but this game has different playlists and there lies the problem. Hoops, Snow Day, Rocket Labs and Solo Standard are the least populated playlists and they could benefit greatly from complete cross-network play.

dtm808

Meh. I don't see why some people want this so badly. Things are fine the way they are right now.

Are you serious. It sucks ass being separated from playing with friends just because the system they play on is different even though the game is exactly the same. Maybe your rich and own every system so you don't care but for the majority of people, their friends all do not have the same system. Separating player-bases is an archaic practice and with today's tech it should never be a thing.

Top Bottom