• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-Network Play twitter campaign for PS4/XBOXONE/PC (also a wall of text about it)

KonradLaw

For some games it's great idea, but for others it would greatly hurt PC versions, so I wouldn;t like crossplay becoming standard.

If Cross-Play were to take off, they would almost need some kind of mutually agreed-upon username service and interface to mesh everything together and make connecting across the various services easier. Not to mention potentially handling voice chat and other cross-compatibility issues. And it'd have to be at least Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and Valve, possibly Google too. (Apple would probably want nothing to do with it.)

Which really doesn't seem likely.

The alternative is you start surfacing Xbox Live usernames on PSN and vice-versa, which gets kind of weird in itself. Especially when you want to start actively searching for them, or blocking them, or friending them, and you don't want have to do it all over again with every single game that offers it in a slightly different way...

leeh

If Cross-Play were to take off, they would almost need some kind of mutually agreed-upon username service and interface to mesh everything together and make connecting across the various services easier. Not to mention potentially handling voice chat and other cross-compatibility issues. And it'd have to be at least Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo and Valve, possibly Google too. (Apple would probably want nothing to do with it.)

Which really doesn't seem likely.

The alternative is you start surfacing Xbox Live usernames on PSN and vice-versa, which gets kind of weird in itself. Especially when you want to start actively searching for them, or blocking them, or friending them, and you don't want have to do it all over again with every single game that offers it in a slightly different way...
This implementation doesn't include any interaction. You cant friend, chat or do anything. The whole cross-play thing is transparent, it literally only raises the player pool.

Hence why it's a tad confusing why this is currently being shoe-horned on by Sony.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
This is a move that would support devs and help keep their games active and in the spotlight for longer. It would be great if there was some sort of official partnership, but even if they let devs come up with their own individual solutions to bridging the platforms, it would be enough.

I think it's time to do it now.
It's the 15th august 2016 and Rocket League still couldn't update their game and PS4 and Xbox One players are still separated.

I think it's time to do something about it.
I've collected the most relevant twitter handles from Sony and MS and made a tweet to ask them to allow Psyonix full Xplay between all platforms.
I support this fully and will tweet out, but it would help to post on popular Reddit pages too.
https://youtu.be/kKQLixtQwBk

You're gonna like this OP, linked your thread as well :)
Ha! That's awesome.

So I see a good amount of people tweeting to Sony. Doesn't hurt to tweet MS also.

Acerac

Banned
So I guess this is dead. Rainfall can get supported here but not this? Smh

It's harder to drum up support for something when it is beneficial to all parties. Somebody needs to be losing out so they can complain about the idea, that's how these threads get lots of posts built up.

Listening to Adam Boyes on the Bombcast telling the story of how he asked the Microsoft guys how crossplay between consoles would work and they couldn't answer him was pretty amusing.

Microsoft didn't plan this out ahead of time as much as Sony probably doesn't want to do it.
Of course they didn't, it was a power play and we still don't know full details.

Lie who is gonna pay for the cross servers and whatnot. Other devs need time to get their ducks in order if we head this direction.

Rembrandt

Banned
Of course they didn't, it was a power play and we still don't know full details.

Lie who is gonna pay for the cross servers and whatnot. Other devs need time to get their ducks in order if we head this direction.

What full details do you wanna know and why haven't the rocket league devs mentioned the cost of these cross servers?

Wonder if Deus Ex Go allowing you to unlock upgrade points on the mobile game and using them in the full game on pc and Xb1 but not ps4 is down to Sony bring all restrictive now.

Coolluck

It's harder to drum up support for something when it is beneficial to all parties. Somebody needs to be losing out so they can complain about the idea, that's how these threads get lots of posts built up.

I thought it was more that we know it's a tall order that would probably be better spent trying to get features on individual platforms that are easier for those companies to do.

SOR5

Wonder if Deus Ex Go allowing you to unlock upgrade points on the mobile game and using them in the full game on pc and Xb1 but not ps4 is down to Sony bring all restrictive now.

Ehhh could just be something erroneous, I don't see why Sony would block phones

TheKeyPit

Banned

Ehm, if full crossplay happens in Rocket League, they'll use the same servers as before.

EmiPrime

Yep it was a power play and a publicity stunt. If they were serious about it they would have worked something out with Sony behind closed doors and have something ready to show instead of manipulating people with a grand 180 announcement. It's not for us to spam Yoshida on Twitter, Spencer needs to be the one making the phone calls and trying to get a meeting with Sony setup instead of trying to score some points at E3.

Random match making should be fairly easy to do but it's very limited. Respawn (Titanfall) when questioned about it said that things like voice chat, player details and parties would have to work cross platform otherwise it's a "lesser experience".

Popsickles

The best way for this to work would be to allow account linking. So everyone has to have a Psn, Xbox and steam account then link them like you can with Facebook and such. That way you can search for players within your host network.

Top Bottom