• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-Network Play twitter campaign for PS4/XBOXONE/PC (also a wall of text about it)

kennyamr

Would be cool but I doubt Sony cares to make it happen with MS tbh
this.
Sony has no reason to do it so I don't see this happening.
I'm not against it, I'm just trying to predict the outcome.
I'll be surprised if Sony gives in and allows it but it could happen anyway.

Sony has the biggest console player base, and they use that to attract most customers towards the PS4. That is one of the current strengths of the PS4.
For example:
If your friend has a PS4, you are more inclined to buy a PS4 to play online with him, if there were no barriers, that upper-hand Sony has would banish and it wouldn't matter if you get an Xbox or PS4.

Of course this would help Microsoft a lot while hurt Sony's sales in some way.
I don't see any benefits that will help Sony in any way so I don't think it will happen.

And if you think it's only 1 game, think twice. This would open the floodgates to many more companies asking for the same treatment, and helped of course by a public campaign led by Microsoft for obvious reasons.
also this.

But good luck! I'd love to have some kind of unified multiplayer among all platforms for all future games.
#letsdooeet

They don't lose though. If anything it may help keep people on board. There would be scenarios (anectodatally I have one) where a PS4 user might have more friends on Xbox with Rocket League. Cross would keep that person from going Xbox for that one game all their friends play.

Point is though, they don't LOSE anything from this.
Chances are, according to the current market share of both companies, that most people will have more friends with a PS4 than with an Xbox One. Your example is great but the opposite is more common and therefore the current situation benefits the PS4.

What a salient argument. I suppose I'd buy the cheaper Xbox One, in that situation! After all, if there's crossplay, I might as well!

Wait, you're telling me I can't add them as friends?
Or party up with them?
Or voice chat with them, or send them text messages?
Or stream to their consoles?
Or interact with them outside of any game at all?

I can only matchmake randomly with them?

Well, that certainly changes things! I suppose, now that I'm informed, that I'll get the PS4 instead, to play with my friends, and I'll simply enjoy the benefits of cross-play bolstering the playerbase and longevity of any applicable multiplatform game.

...so where are those downsides for Sony you mentioned, again?
Well said, and you are completely right.
However, even if it's not much, even if things remain almost the same, Sony still loses something that will definitely benefit the competition in some way for no reason.

They may do it but they have legitimate reasons not to at least for the time being, and even if they are small.

Again, I hope they do that at some point in the future.

Or on the flip side, more people will be attracted to PSN knowing that it has a large userbase of players that are on other platforms too. It works both ways and I honestly don't see how this can be more of a negative than a positive.

Yeah, a more open network is an inherently more attractive product.

I still believe it's likely Sony is just taking their time on this, for whatever reasons, but with no communication from them ("we're still looking into this") it is starting to get a little unreasonable.

The God

Or on the flip side, more people will be attracted to PSN knowing that it has a large userbase of players that are on other platforms too. It works both ways and I honestly don't see how this can be more of a negative than a positive.
How would it make someone more attracted to PSN if the platforms have the same population?

I still believe it's likely Sony is just taking their time on this, for whatever reasons, but with no communication from them ("we're still looking into this") it is starting to get a little unreasonable.

I think they are taking their time waiting for overt interest in the idea to subside i.e.. they have no intention of doing this.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
No Sony gains nothing from this. Their PS4 userbase is at least twice as big as XB1's

They don't lose though. If anything it may help keep people on board. There would be scenarios (anectodatally I have one) where a PS4 user might have more friends on Xbox with Rocket League. Cross would keep that person from going Xbox for that one game all their friends play.

Point is though, they don't LOSE anything from this.

Alucrid

Banned

well apparently we're getting 2 factor this week. so maybe!

mrg6290

This is a good idea. I hope something comes out of it. I'm not super confident in the near term, but applying public pressure can only help. I'm in.

killemall

Neo Member
What a salient argument. I suppose I'd buy the cheaper Xbox One, in that situation! After all, if there's crossplay, I might as well!

Or party up with them?

Well, that certainly changes things! I suppose, now that I'm informed, that I'll get the PS4 instead, to play with my friends, and I'll simply enjoy the benefits of cross-play bolstering the playerbase and longevity of any applicable multiplatform game.

It may get people to pick up an xbox one over a ps4, yes. And for people who have both consoles, it may get people to buy the xbox one version of a game over a ps4 version of the game as well.

Both ways, sony loses out on the money they would've made from console and game sales.

Why would you pick up a Xbox game over ps4?

Sony support cross platform with PC just like MS do. So where is the reason that you will pick a Xbox one copy of a game? You do realise MS can't do this without Sony.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Or party up with them?

Well put.

angelic

Banned
I dont think I want exposing to even more RL players, I played ten games tonight and 80% of my opponents quit if I went a goal or 2 up, even with 4 minutes left. The community is awful, I'm fine with chat off and pc players is enough thanks.

Zeta Oni

Or party up with them?

tumblr_msonn97Xvn1sccdhco1_250.gif

Jumeira

Banned
While I want cross play, Sony definitely loses something. Right now, Sony has the advantage in terms of online population/activity. People look for that when deciding on going for an ecosystem or console to get into. Doing this hurts their potential sales and is getting rid of an advantage they currently have. Plain and simple.
Pointless thing to say, XBL has reached critical mass of players on Xbox One, even with additional players Xbox One users will not experience any real difference unless they like the idea of playing against PS4 users. Player count is meaningless with popular games right now, so your point of more gamers means better online experience is redundant for this scenario. Sony blocking cross play is anti consumer given all parties are happy to go ahead.

R3TRODYCE

I'm ok with this but given how toxic the console mp community is I hope it's just consoles and not PC because I'd rather not get repeatedly team killed on PC by console players.

Cartman86

Banned

Or party up with them?

Yep. Without at the very least voice chat and grouping up in general matchmaking via in-game parties (as opposed to only allowing privates matches for friend groups) this is essentially useless.

It's been a little while, but I don't recall being able to group up (in-game party) between PC and PS4 players in Rocket League.

This will never happen. MS says they are into it because they know it will never happen and it's free positive PR. This would require two competing companies to work together for a cause with no finical incentive, which will never happen.

Good luck though.

EmiPrime

I'm ok with this but given how toxic the console mp community is I hope it's just consoles and not PC because I'd rather not get repeatedly team killed on PC by console players.

The worst console trolls are harmless children compared to the CS:GO and LOL player bases.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care what giant bomb says. I have friends I want to play with in Tekken 7 cross platform.
It wasn't anyone from Giant Bomb. They had Adam Boyes (former Sony) and Dave Lang (Iron Galaxy, working on Killer Instinct) on the Bombcast. I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't inspire this whole thing, especially since this is the way Boyes mentioned on how to do it.

But to be fair...they didn't convince me. It works for SFV and it would work for many other games.

Starviper

I retweeted your post; it would be awesome to have cross play functionality where there isn't a disadvantage towards one of the groups!

Yudoken

Yep. Without at the very least voice chat and grouping up in general matchmaking via in-game parties (as opposed to only allowing privates matches for friend groups) this is essentially useless.

It's been a little while, but I don't recall being able to group up (in-game party) between PC and PS4 players in Rocket League.

You can create a (private) lobby and play with them.
You just can't play together against other people in casual/ranked matchmaking.

Kayant

In full support of the campaign. Perfectly happy with bigger player pool don't really care too much about party systems atm because I mainly play alone or with a friend who also has a PC.

Some additional things -

In terms of Sony as far as we know it's been worked on and Psyonix believe it's more a matter of time than time than them saying no so there is some hope there -
VP Jeremy Dunham(Psyonix) said:

Some games other games not getting cross-play atm because of one party are other include -
A guess of what may be blocking these two games would likely include the fact Xbox player must always have option disable crossplay -

Gwent - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1250325&highlight=gwent

Also -

The argument that Sony loses because people can just buy a different platform is weak atm because Devs have to create their own party system to implement cross-play parties much is unless to happen for must games then there is also the fact that it's likely this will not be a common feature to be that much of a difference in that regard and cross play as a feature is likely not be advertised as much so it wouldn't be as known to the majority.

This campaign should likely be more directed at Sony atm because whilst they will work with pubs/devs they haven't directly said anything about networks outside PC. Hopefully we can a clear picture by the end of the year of their stance as that should have been enough time to evaluate what they want imo.

I'm right with you OP. And how are people still defending Sonys behavior? MS was wrong during the PS360 gen and Sony is wrong now and if they end up refusing, then they've been lying to their customer base for years. No reason for anybody not to get aboard and help.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'd be very surprised if this ever happend. And i doubt Sony is really deliberating over it either since they have the biggest userbase and benefit from that with their own closed ecosystem.

I would not be surprised if Tekken came out PS4 and PC crossplay oriented, but no MS involved.

With that being said, good luck OP. I'm not generally opposed to more players, just don't think it'll happen and am not invested in the idea either way.

leeh

Reading the people defending Sony on why they don't allow this angers me. There's no interactivity between the different platforms, it only means you get a bigger pool of people to matchmake with and play with which longs the life of the game for everyone!

Sony don't lose anything, considering they don't even have any engineering cost to support this and it's completely left up to the devs involved. Think for yourself as a consumer rather than the mind of a business, a business which isn't even effected in the slightest. The hypocrisy is real.

I am fully supportive of this movement. Please make it happen.

Some people went from "Sony was always on board with this" to "What's in it for Sony?" as soon as Developers came out saying Sony was holding this back for RL and Gwent.

Floody

Or party up with them?

Most won't actually read up on the restrictions could be seen as a negative from Sony I guess, they just see that the XB1 is cheaper and now their favorite games support cross-play, so think they can play with all their friends and buy that.

I don't think it'd be bad for Sony though, if anything being seen as the ones who stopped it from happening would make them look worse.

wapplew

Reading the people defending Sony on why they don't allow this angers me. There's no interactivity between the different platforms, it only means you get a bigger pool of people to matchmake with and play with which longs the life of the game for everyone!

Sony don't lose anything, considering they don't even have any engineering cost to support this and it's completely left up to the devs involved. Think for yourself as a consumer rather than the mind of a business, a business which isn't even effected in the slightest. The hypocrisy is real.

You get anger when people laid out the fact?
I support this movement, but also realize the fact that Sony probably won't do it for business reason.

leeh

I'm right with you OP. And how are people still defending Sonys behavior? MS was wrong during the PS360 gen and Sony is wrong now and if they end up refusing, then they've been lying to their customer base for years. No reason for anybody not to get aboard and help.
This is one thing that is so apparently different between the two companies. Even though MS were stubborn, closed minded and stupid for not allowing this last gen atleast they had the decency to say, "No we don't allow this" rather than Sony's wishy washy "We encourage cross-play" crap while not specifically talking about console implementation.
You get anger when people laid out the fact?
I support this movement, but also realize the fact that Sony probably won't do it for business reason.
What business reason? There is zero business reason to not support this.

wapplew

Really? You can't think of any?
Player pool of many titles are not viable for Xbox one in many regions. People force to choose PS4 if they want to play those games. You really think not giving your direct competitor a lifeline in those regions is not a good business reason?
A larger match making pool is a great selling point for PS4, that's a business reason for Sony not to do it.

leeh

Really? You can't think of any?
Player pool of many titles are not viable for Xbox one in many regions. People force to choose PS4 if they want to play those games. You really think not giving your direct competitor a lifeline in those regions is not a good business reason?
Examples would be nice with evidence. People were saying this about RL when it launched and it always had like 20k players online at non-peak times which doubled at peak.

Don't make claims like this without evidence.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Some people went from "Sony was always on board with this" to "What's in it for Sony?" as soon as Developers came out saying Sony was holding this back for RL and Gwent.

You sure..they were the same people saying those things?

wapplew

Examples would be nice with evidence. People were saying this about RL when it launched and it always had like 20k players online at non-peak times which doubled at peak.

Don't make claims like this without evidence.

You just have to look outside NA and UK.
Overwatch in Asia for example. PES is another one. When people ask which version to buy, 90% will recommend PS4 because of bigger player pool.
I do support cross console play, because many games not even have viable player pool on PS4 in those regions too. Combining both will maybe help those games a little.
But who know, maybe Sony is fine with games dead on both platform rather than help Xbox one gain some lifeline.

It's sucks but company can be an asshole when its come to business.

leeh

You just have to look outside NA and UK.
Overwatch in Asia for example. PES is another one. When people ask which version to buy, 90% will recommend PS4 because of bigger player pool.
I do support cross console play, because many games not even have viable player pool on PS4 in those regions too. Combining both will maybe help those games a little.
But who know, maybe Sony is fine with games dead on both platform rather than help Xbox one gain some lifeline.

It's sucks but company can be an asshole when its come to business.
This example is made up. You've got no evidence of this, considering overwatch doesn't even show player counts. These aren't even the games in question, and the western market is catastrophically larger than the one you're talking about. Even with cross-play on these titles, all it does is raise the pool for themselves as well considering the split between PC & consoles will be absurdly high in eastern markets.

I see no argument. I'll casually wait until the next try and trying to make some weird excuse for why it's ok for Sony to block this, even though all it does is benefit you and everyone on here.

gtj1092

This is one thing that is so apparently different between the two companies. Even though MS were stubborn, closed minded and stupid for not allowing this last gen atleast they had the decency to say, "No we don't allow this" rather than Sony's wishy washy "We encourage cross-play" crap while not specifically talking about console implementation.

Quick show me all your post begging for this last gen and ragging on MS for it. Call me crazy but I seem to remember you coming up with reasons it was ok for MS not to allow cross platform play with FF14.

leeh

Quick show me all your post begging for this last gen and ragging on MS for it. Call me crazy but I seem to remember you coming up with reasons it was ok for MS not to allow cross platform play with FF14.
You're right, and my argument with that is the tight integration between social platforms like shown on crossplay titles for X1 and PC.

That isn't the case, there's zero interaction between communities on the platforms outside of their own. If there was, I'd be on the other side of the fence agreeing with why Sony isn't doing it.

In my first post in this thread, I say that exact thing. My views on the implementation of this cross-play solution is a different topic in it's own. I'm really disappointed by it, I really hoped for more interaction.

I'd be very surprised if this ever happend. And i doubt Sony is really deliberating over it either since they have the biggest userbase and benefit from that with their own closed ecosystem.

I would not be surprised if Tekken came out PS4 and PC crossplay oriented, but no MS involved.

With that being said, good luck OP. I'm not generally opposed to more players, just don't think it'll happen and am not invested in the idea either way.

If sony doesn't wanna do it with ms not sure why they do it with pc.

If sony doesn't wanna do it with ms not sure why they do it with pc.

PC, despite Windows being the OS of choice is still very much considered a neutral zone due to the open nature (currently) of it. Sony gives devs a bit more leeway while still saying they cannot directly support their competitor (The Xbox), and for games published by them (such as Helldivers), they can still make some money off the top as a result. PC is also seen as more complicated to get set-up and running, so the convenience factor of a console means Sony isn't all that scared of PC stealing their potential market-share, they're more scared of a direct competitor in the form of Xbox.

AmyS

I'm all for it if we can have cross-network play with World of Tanks.

Edit: oh is this thread only for Rocket League ?

Toki767

Listening to Adam Boyes on the Bombcast telling the story of how he asked the Microsoft guys how crossplay between consoles would work and they couldn't answer him was pretty amusing.

Microsoft didn't plan this out ahead of time as much as Sony probably doesn't want to do it.

Top Bottom