• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek to close all studios except Frankfurt HQ and Warface studio in Kiev

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They were spoiled by Military and Architectural contracts that they had, i think.

IIRC Crytek said those didn't actually make that much money.

I suspect they were actually just getting fronted a bunch of money by publishers and their investment banks.

Eolz

Not really surprising sadly. Hope employees will be able to find something back.
German employees will probably leave to CIG and iD.

Won't be the last time we hear of them (in terms of financial issues)...

gabbo

This is terrible for those employees, but me thinks Crytek needs to have a managerial shakeup because this isn't the first. hell it's not even the 2nd time theyve had to do this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Can anyone knowledgeable explain why cryengine failed to catch on?

To my understanding, the biggest issues were that the support wasn't great (not enough local offices), the engine updates for external partners were very delayed relative to when Crytek was getting them (I think teh Ryse updates were 9 months after that game launched), and the toolchain was not seen as being as good as modern Unity or Unreal, especially if you wanted to do something that was different from what Crytek was doing.

Somnia

Microsoft should step in and make another offer for Ryse, I bet Crytek would part ways with it now... if MS even want to consider that again.

I panicked for a second and thought Free Radical had been shut then remember that the'd been sold to... Deep Silver was it?

Not that they've made a game I've loved for years, but they're still the studio behind Timesplitters and it would've been a shame to see them go.

gabbo

Microsoft should step in and make another offer for Ryse, I bet Crytek would part ways with it now... if MS even want to consider that again.

Microsoft could probably just buy the whole studio and close it down for pretty cheap instead of waiting out the dumpster fire that is Crytek finances to finally fail. The name is kind of tarnished by all these studio closures though

Eolz

To my understanding, the biggest issues were that the support wasn't great (not enough local offices), the engine updates for external partners were very delayed relative to when Crytek was getting them (I think teh Ryse updates were 9 months after that game launched), and the toolchain was not seen as being as good as modern Unity or Unreal, especially if you wanted to do something that was different from what Crytek was doing.

On top of that, while the community was good and helpful, the official documentation is and has been pretty bad for a long time. A good documentation is the main reason that UE4 is used by so many studios now.

edit:
Crytek own the ip, but EA own the publishing rights on those.

pretty sure that EA owns the Crysis IP now actually.

Crytek definitely expanded way, WAY fast. All those studios... holy shit.

My wife works for a company that does this. The reason for it is that it is easier how to host a location sanctioned by the company remotely rather than fly in the talent with relocation packages that include purchase of house.

But yes, when you can't even pay your cire team their base salaries, you shouldn't be expanding with the hopes that the new Talent will bring in Revenue.

Hoping that they will be compensated fully.

trugc

Best of luck to all those affected. Always sucks to lose a job around the holidays and I hope others in the industry can pick them up.

I heard they started negotiation with local buyers months ago. A lot of Crytek employees have already found a new job.

Commiserations to those who lost their jobs, totally sucks especially if you had been without a pay check for x weeks (and not looking for a new job in case things turned around)

No idea how vibrant those locations that close are, as far as people getting new jobs.

Sad state of affairs for the company that made Crysis which to this day looks amazing

timberger

The writing has been on the wall for years with Crytek, so it was only a matter of time before they imploded. Sounds like it was a horrendously managed outfit, and it's seriously shit for the workers out on their ear because of it, especially at this time of year.

m360

Over the last months some of Cryek guys - mostly from Frankfurt - already left the company for Epic Games, Foundry 42 and Bethesda/id software.

BibiMaghoo

Not the news people need before Christmas. I hope they land well, Crytek have been trying their hardest to put this off forever. They should just have cut this stuff down long ago instead of seeking more investment for more debt.

That depends very much on local legislation. The sale of Warface might enable them to pay all salaries though.

I don't see anywhere that they're selling Warface?!

They don't even have any premium IP

I'd argue Crysis still is.

Isn't the Crysis IP owned by EA?

No; Crytek themselves own it. Can't link right now, but check the small print at the bottom of any store page where it's being sold.

With the number of studios and employees they had, I doubt the few million $ they would have gotten would help much, maybe keep them working a day or two longer.

They should have sold the Ryse IP to MS and had first refusal on a couple of sequels as part of that contract - that way they get a chunk of money from the sale, and ongoing revenue for the development of at least one game and maybe more.

What they should do is go begging to MS to buy the IP and fund Ryse 2 (no matter how flawed the first game was, there's lots of room for improvement), and go to a major publisher like Take Two or Sony who don't currently have a big FPS IP and convince them to buy and/or fund a Crysis reboot. Then release TimeSplitters Collection on Steam, XBL and PSN to bring in some good short-term revenue, and if that's a success consider investing in TimeSplitters 4 (or a reboot).

I still think the Sword of Damocles is hanging over them, as the way things stand they really don't see to have any products that anyone wants, unless Hunt is a surprise hit.

What an awful company. With all the reports of people not getting paid it just sounds like Crytek was run by a bunch of idiots who expanded far too rapidly. They had a crappy engine that wasn't that widely used and a VERY mediocre series in the form of Crysis and they some how thought they could be this development studio with a global presence. I will be surprised if Crytek as a whole survives 2017.

No; Crytek themselves own it. Can't link right now, but check the small print at the bottom of any store page where it's being sold.

Checking the Crysis 3 Origin store page, it says that Crytek owns the trademark, which, if my understanding of the clusterfuck that people call copyright laws is correct, is separate from intellectual property.

Actually, that whole situation sounds familiar, some product is in development hell because different companies own different parts of the copyright, and because they refuse to do work together, is doomed to oblivion.

airborn

Anybody have any figures on how big each of those studios were? We're all saying, "so many studios" but do we know how many people are about to be laid off?
171 people if the employee numbers of each studio on their website are up to date.

Crytek definitely expanded way, WAY fast. All those studios... holy shit.
Crytek expanded fast, but they were working on multiple projects (Crysis, Ryse, Warface, Homefront, CryEngine) at the same time.

Yet it still pales in comparison to Wargaming. That's a company that has grown massively over the last five years (now 4000+ employees). I doubt a lot of people on here are even aware how high their headcount now is (World of Tanks' success aside).

Cartho

Hope that their employees land on their feet. Never nice to lose jobs but around this time of year? Awful.

Seriously though. "Warface"? Whoever thought that was a good name needs a slap.

nubbe

It would be interesting to read the story about the company.
Hope someone writes the story about the rise and fall.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yo dayumn, that's pretty crazy. Hoping the talented people who were let go land on their feet soon.

Turkoop

Banned
I want to say something.
Back in spring 2016, I had the chance to visit Crytek in Frankfurt, one friend of mine showed me their work, the people and we talked much about development etc.
I always disagree with their opinion to do more F2P games, but when I saw Robinson and The Climb, I was very excited how Crytek was able to create great games in VR. These guys are very talented & passionate about their work. I hope just one thing:
MS or Sony should buy the studio. There are a lot of potential projects they could have develop. Like Crysis 4 or a Remake, more AAA VR Games on PSVR or Rift, new IP's and more. I hope they will return with some bombs and I wish all the best for them.

OnPoint

I know it's insensitive to call them QQtek here, so I won't do that.

I do genuinely hope anyone who loses a job lands on their feet.

shingi70

Banned
Did pride kill the studio? I remember hearing that Ryse 2 fell through because ceytek wanted to keep the IP and this was near when they faced collapse two year ago.

Sad to hear about all those job losses, and right before the holidays. I hope they got paid.

This sounds like the beginning of the end for Crytek.

Kssio_Aug

I'm also surprised they had this many studios, since they haven't released anything in the past years. At least not that I'm aware of.

Still sad for people who lost their jobs and sad for a company that did Crysis 1, that was not only a very impressive game but also a very good one.

Top Bottom