• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Bgamer90

Banned
So you're assuming that this free Fifa bundle will last forever?

???

Never said that -- and no I don't think that.

Don't see what that has anything to do with what I said. All I simply said was that perceptions can (and usually do) change over time with consoles as more content comes.

Did you feel that the PS3 would be a flop forever simply based on how it did during its first 2 years?

Zen

Banned
???

Never said that -- and no I don't think that.

Don't see what that has anything to do with what I said.

Which ties in nicely to how your post wasn't actually addressing anything I said.

This isn't about some zeitgeist or hoping that Kinect suddenly breaks through and starts allowing for additive or exclusive experiences that shift the sand over a year from now, it's about the here and now and projecting the practical effect that this bundle will have on sales in the near term. That's why Microsoft announced it in the first place, so it would inform perception.

People are being chastised in this thread for having an opinion about the near term effect that a short term bundle will have by posters who are then going on to make even wilder extrapolations about how Kinect or what have you could tip the balance in favor of their favorite console years from now. Without any a shred of well reasoned logic backing it in comparison.

ari

Banned
and not everyone thinks that it adds value to the package either.

some take this as "here's fifa as compensation for us making you pay more than the competition and forcing you to have this camera you don't want."
No...no it does not.

what consumer outside of gaming forums you know will know that shit?

Freki

But the assumptions are coming from a device that's completely outdated & more restrictive than its successor. It's like making a full judgement on the iPhone 5 via the iPhone 3G.

Everyone who has used the new Kinect has said that it's a big improvement over the first. Whether that will translate into better experiences is "wait and see"; just don't see how anyone could make conclusions on that yet.

But then again, if people didn't make conclusions on multiple features of both consoles before launch, there would be hardly anything to talk about here so I guess I somewhat understand it.

iPhone 1 was a huge success out of the gate...

Bgamer90

Banned
Which ties in nicely to how your post wasn't actually addressing anything I said.

Uhh... yes it did.

"We have indicated that to most consumers the value of the things you're championing (Kinect) aren't all that great nor additive."

All I did was simply say that that (what you said above) could change in the future.

This isn't about some zeitgeist or hoping that Kinect suddenly breaks through and starts allowing for additive or exclusive experiences that shift the sand, it's about the here and now and projecting the practical effect that this bundle will have on sales. That's why Microsoft announced it in the first place, so it would inform perception.

But it's silly to base how these consoles and their features will do as a whole on pre-launch. Next gen definitely isn't going to be for only 1.5 years.

As more content comes, things can (and probably will) change in many areas. That's all I was saying/getting at.

iPhone 1 was a huge success out of the gate...

Kinect was too right?

SPDIF

This picture is over a year old. nice try. Shame on not any one of you not noticing that this was the champions league trophy and Bayern Munich are the current champions.

I hate football and I knew this

Oh I noticed, I was just busy dealing with more important matters.

I don't know who the guy on the right is but it doesn't matter, CONFIRMED!!

I've always wanted to do that :)

Graeme Le Saux

Just in case you were interested.

Zen

Banned
Uhh... yes it did.

"We have indicated that to most consumers the value of the things you're championing (Kinect) aren't all that great nor additive."

All I did was simply say that that (what you said above) could change in the future.

Which is a meaningless addition to the conversation.

Why is such slanted or hopeful extrapolation the response to why making a statement on why this bundle won't change all that much?

But it's silly to base how these consoles and their features will do as a whole on pre-launch. Next gen definitely isn't going to be for only 1.5 years.

You're reading tea leafs that aren't from my plant. But the impact of this Fifa bundle might as well be.

But they don't, because they aren't full of shit.

Yes, I'm mad. It's blatantly wrong and yet they keep trying to get away with this shit.

The modern day Spartacus.

wow 40 pages over this? ms sure has rustled some feelings over here.

Fh3ro.gif

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
We've known that there would be Ultimate Team content exclusive to Xbox One since it was announced.
Yes. But they are promoting this ahead of tomorrow's announcement. Anyway, I expect the bundles will not include a disc but a code, and with this code you will get even more Ultimate team content like gold packs and whatnot. It is an indirect way to realize the DRM dream by having a digital copy of a game you can't sell.

We've known that there would be Ultimate Team content exclusive to Xbox One since it was announced.
Yeah and considering they are promoting it for the conference tomorrow could mean the XB1 version will just get some more exclusive content or maybe some free content, but no free pack in for the whole game. Otherwise the tweet is pretty weird, considering we know about Ultimate Team already.

jond76

Banned
So what's wrong with juding Kinect2 by the merits Kinect1 brought to gaming?
It's the same principle only more refined... 24 million Kinects are out in the wild and not one killer core application exists...

Kinect Sports? Dance Central?

Touch screens on phones with no keypad? It'll never work. I can't fathom how a lot of people here are resistant to new technology.

Bgamer90

Banned
Which is a meaningless addition to the conversation.

Why is such slanted or hopeful extrapolation the response to why making a statement on why this bundle won't change all that much? Thing could change any which way.

That's the thing, you are saying it won't change much now. All I said/implied was that the perception of the bundle can change after launch.

But I guess you strictly want to talk about "the now" so I'll stop. I just like to see things further ahead after seeing so many examples of things changing over time (especially when it comes to the category of tech).

Bgamer90

Banned
So what's wrong with juding Kinect2 by the merits Kinect1 brought to gaming?

The former is a completely improved device that (based on specs and multiple impressions) makes the latter seem as if it came out during the same time that the Xbox 360 was launched (almost 10 years ago).

I think the smartest move is one year free Gold rather than a pack in game. Both consoles will require a paywall for online. Thus, give a free year of Gold get everyone in the system and hope they don't want to have to switch to another console in a year. Then you get the recurring revenue stream. This lets Microsoft show everyone their strongest suit which is the online component.

Bsigg12

Yes. But they are promoting this ahead of tomorrow's announcement. Anyway, I expect the bundles will not include a disc but a code, and with this code you will get even more Ultimate team content like gold packs and whatnot. It is an indirect way to realize the DRM dream by having a digital copy of a game you can't sell.

Yeah and considering they are promoting it for the conference tomorrow could mean the XB1 version will just get some more exclusive content or maybe some free content, but no free pack in for the whole game. Otherwise the tweet is pretty weird, considering we know about Ultimate Team already.

They never actually said what the content would be in the reveal, only that it would be coming. I fully expect EA to announce what the UT content is and Microsoft to announce the pack in separately. Like the one Gaffer said, there are Xbox One banners all over the FIFA 14 area and a covered up one, so there must be something much more important than just UT content.

WTF? The unique exclusive that Phil was talking about on Major Nelson's podcast was referring to a bundle? That's a bunch of shit.

We'll know in a matter of hours but he references a unique exclusive and news about Europe's biggest franchise so there will be two separate things here.

DenogginizerOS

They never actually said what the content would be in the reveal, only that it would be coming. I fully expect EA to announce what the UT content is and Microsoft to announce the pack in separately. Like the one Gaffer said, there are Xbox One banners all over the FIFA 14 area and a covered up one, so there must be something much more important than just UT content.
Right. There will be a download code for the digital version of FIFA 14 along with even more exclusive content than the already announced UT content access.

Freki

The latter is a completely improved device that (based on specs and multiple impressions) makes the former seem as if it came out during the same time that the Xbox 360 was launched (almost 10 years ago).

Thanks for ignoring the second part of my post.
Kinect1 and Kinect2 operate on the same basic principle and share the same major disadvantage - lack of tactile feedback.
There doesn't exist one killer core application for kinect1 although it has a user base of 24 million. The xbox one will probably take 2-3 years to reach the same userbase - what makes you think that the devs who didn't develop for 24m will develop something for an even smaller userbase?

DenogginizerOS

Does EA not think they could make the same amount of money if not more on Ultimate Team goodies if they release all of it at once on all consoles? What exactly does this arrangement give them?

Valentus

So EA is MS's bitch this next gen, like S-E was in current gen?

First Titanfall and now this?

Why MS dont spend that money in decent first party studios?

DenogginizerOS

This kind of agreement sounds more like something worked out over scotch with old buddies than one worked out with PR and accountants.

Bgamer90

Banned
Thanks for ignoring the second part of my post.
Kinect1 and Kinect2 operate on the same basic principle and share the same major disadvantage - lack of tactile feedback.

That doesn't mean though that things will remain the same. Touch screen phones had the disadvantage of no buttons. Yet over time they were able to take off due to new features that made innovative use of what was there.

There doesn't exist one killer core application for kinect1 although it has a user base of 24 million.

Define "killer core app". There are a few core gaming oriented kinect games that got good reception; Gunstringer comes to mind but since it isn't a mature looking game (though it does have adult content/jokes), I don't know if you would consider that a "core app".

The xbox one will probably take 2-3 years to reach the same userbase - what makes you think that the devs who didn't develop for 24m will develop something for an even smaller userbase?

Better chance at their kinect oriented games selling well since kinect comes in every box. Very small portion of a group who own a product vs. EVERYONE who owns the product.

The latter is definitely more appealing.

And if we want to talk about console userbases at launch in this way, then why are so many devs making big budget AAA games for the early part of next gen? Couldn't we expand it into that as well?

KoopaTheCasual

I think this is a great move by MS, because at least they know they're pretty screwed without some serious measures being taken. It really seems that since Mattrick has left, the Xbox team is scrambling to make up all the lost ground. Sure it's still not an ideal system, and the FIFA pack-in doesn't even make the Xbox One as inexpensive as the PS4, but it's small step in the right direction.

Top Bottom