• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

Yeah but Fifa won't be exclusive, Xbone will launch after PS4 (even 6 months or more in many countries), Xbone is still more expensive WITH Fifa.

...How does this contradict anything I just said? For people on the fence, a smaller price difference (by providing a game that half the launch gamers are realistically going to buy) tips the scales somewhat. Not everyone who is going to buy these consoles has already preordered, not everyone has their minds made up. For people holding out for a cheaper Xbox because they have to play Halo/Forza/whatever, this may be the last bit of incentive they need to pre-order.

As far as Kinect is concerned, it's a simple numbers game. The pool of people for whom Kinect is worth a €20-40 premium is > than the pool of people for whom Kinect is worth a €80-100 premium.

ciridesu

I know it's a bummer to my fellow EU gaffers affected by this buy, with all respect, the most important EU countries sales-wise: United Kingdom, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Ireland, and Austria. the rest: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, won't make much of a difference.

Well now, Austria and Ireland for instance are relevant, while Sweden and Netherlands aren't? The distinction between some of the countries is negligible. In the end, the 'Tier 2' countries are worth approximately 20 million consoles through a generation. Of course, first year and all that, but gaining a foothold on that userbase is important.

Mandoric

Banned
uhm you should know that Spain is one of the most important markets worlwide

The problem is that there's two individual markets (US and Japan) that are far and away above the rest of the top 10. So being a top 10 market doesn't really mean squat, especially when you can't reasonably ship retail titles there in English (UK, also top 10) or Japanese (HK, Taiwan).

Facism

i think those expecting FIFA 14 to sell @ £40/£25 in supermarkets are going to be disappointed. Prices are going to be £45 minimum, probably that same £50 nonsense we had to pay for 360 games when that came out.

The beginning of a gen is the best time for them to scalp the fuck out of launch owners.

Uhm you should know its dirtpoor now.

Netherlands + Belgium where only behind 5% in European marketshare in 2008 before Spain was relegated to a third world economy.

the fuck you're talking about? wether you like it or not it's the 4th most important country saleswise here in Europe, behind UK, France and Germany.

http://www.adese.es/adese/noticias/...na-divulgativa-de-adese-sobre-el-sistema-pegi

Last year 12.743.000 videogames units, 1.492.000 consoles and 5.031.000 peripherals were sold in Spain.

European ranking

Spain consolidates as one of the most important european markets, only behind of UK, Germany and France.

Pug

i think those expecting FIFA 14 to sell @ £40/£25 in supermarkets are going to be disappointed. Prices are going to be £45 minimum, probably that same £50 nonsense we had to pay for 360 games when that came out.

The beginning of a gen is the best time for them to scalp the fuck out of launch owners.

FIFA will be a full priced game however I do think supermarkets will be able to sell it for £40, but yes I agree there will be no £25 nonsense.

monome

hummm, FIFA?

I'm french, and I don't give a fuck about soccer...

Give me Ryse, and I'll pre-order you day-1 edition MS. otherwise I still want X1>PS4, but I'm ready to spend my gaming time with Nintendo until Titanfall releases.

Kosma

Banned
the fuck you're talking about? wether you like it or not it's the 4th most important country saleswise here in Europe, behind UK, France and Germany.

http://www.adese.es/adese/noticias/...na-divulgativa-de-adese-sobre-el-sistema-pegi

Yes and Netherlands + Belgium outsells it in 2013.

Also Austria + Ireland would be outsold by Scandinavia.

Your whole point about MS focussing on important markets is thus bogus, they are only doing the markets the localisation is done for.

nib95

Banned

What do you realistically expect? I'm here up because I'm a turnip. But honestly we're here just sit around twiddling our thumbs hoping to read tweets or blog posts from people at the conference, not knowing when trailers or info will even be released.

spwolf

Yes and Netherlands + Belgium outsells it in 2013.

Also Austria + Ireland would be outsold by Scandinavia.

Your whole point about MS focussing on important markets is thus bogus, they are only doing the markets the localisation is done for.

Man, that localisation thing... must be something new and unexpected.

SegaShack

the desperation is disgusting... but i guess this might work

If a free game is disgusting than Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo can be as disgusting as they want and I will be a very happy consumer :).

In all seriousness it's a very smart move on their part if the Fifa rumors are true. I don't care about sports games but lots of people do and this will help Microsoft move systems for sure. Even if you aren't a fan of Microsoft, as a gamer I always hope to see all systems succeed so they can hopefully all get great games.

If I were in charge of the Xbox division though I would have had a new Kinect Sports game in every single box at launch. That small pack in game did wonders for the Wii. I've even talked to a few people that have that as their only game on the system.

Kosma

Banned
Man, that localisation thing... must be something new and unexpected.

You don't have to have worked in the localisation industry to know that localising for languages in Scandinavia and Benelux is tough (hard to get the people).

While doing Spanish etc. is easy cause there is tons of people willing to do it and they are cheap to hire. Austria and Ireland are basicly being included because localisation for Germany and the UK was done. No other reason.

Furthermore localisation for the Xbone is being outsourced (the testing at least), this company that they are using just setup a new office in Seattle for this. This office is still less then 1 year old now. Shit takes time.

Mandoric

Banned
You don't have to have worked in the localisation industry to know that localising for languages in Scandinavia and Benelux is tough (hard to get the people).

While doing Spanish etc. is easy cause there is tons of people willing to do it and they are cheap to hire. Austria and Ireland are basicly being included because localisation for Germany and the UK was done. No other reason.

Furthermore localisation for the Xbone is being outsourced (the testing at least), this company that they are using just setup a new office in Seattle for this. This office is still less then 1 year old now. Shit takes time.

So, what's up with Switzerland out when France, Germany, and Italy are all in? Gotta cover that 0.9% Romansh minority?

Was chatting to our guy on the ground there.

He is of the opinion that the game will not be free to consumers, but more like a traditional bundle with a slight discount.

That conflicts with information I heard last night, but he says a deal doesn't make sense otherwise and can't see EA sabotaging their relationship with Sony and PlayStation gamers for "trifling" sums of money.

Kosma

Banned
So, what's up with Switzerland out when France, Germany, and Italy are all in? Gotta cover that 0.9% Romansh minority?

Well that is a good question, I am not up to date on Swiss language laws and don't know the specifics, it is an odd case.

I would say it could have something to do with SKU's of software itself, maybe some laws, logistics basically.

Well that is a good question, I am not up to date on Swiss language laws and don't know the specifics, it is an odd case.

I would say it could have something to do with SKU's of software itself, maybe some laws, logistics basically.

No, you are jumping through too many mental hoops. MS fucked up with manufacturing and had to cut out certain regions and countries in which they are very weak to ensure they had enough stock to compete in countries where they are able to do so.

That's it.

Zen

Banned
according to Amazon.es:

PS4 + FIFA 14 = 393€ + 64,95€ = 457,85€
XB1 = 478€

almost 20€ more expensive, so not that much (plus you're getting Kinect)

The article actually states that the game has a lower MSRP. But either way, pretty much no one who was going to get a PS4 is going to get a XB1 because of this.

Kosma

Banned
No, you are jumping through too many mental hoops. MS fucked up with manufacturing and had to cut out certain regions and countries in which they are very weak to ensure they had enough stock to compete in countries where they are able to do so.

That's it.

Scandinavia and the Benelux have enjoy very good 360 sales compared to Spain for example.

These countries are actually the most receptive to Xbox outside of the UK.

KingJ2002

misread... i assume FIFA 14 would be an exclusive to Xbox One... if the game is free for Xbox One but still available for other consoles... then you guys are right. This is a good thing for gaming and I hope Sony follows suit.

I do miss the days of free games at launch.

Pug

That's it.

If the rumours of yield issues with the GPU are true, I'll think you'll find this is an AMD issue!

Biker19

Banned
He's completely spinning the 360s numbers, and has done so a number of times. The 360 has been about a Billion+ in profits* for the majority of this gen. It has been so successful in fact that the division still turns quite a bit of profit after Microsoft hangs billions of dollars of losses from Zune, Kin, and Windows Phone payments to Nokia in the Xbox Division.

*Typically its in 100s of millions but you can take an educated guess if you take away the losses that Microsoft obviously hangs in the division.

The 360 has been very successful for Microsoft.

Spinning numbers how, exactly? I have never spinned anything.

Link.

Microsoft makes more than 75% of its profits from Windows and Office. Less than 25% comes from its vaunted servers and tools. And Microsoft makes nothing from its xBox/Kinect entertainment division, while losing vast sums in its online division (negative $350M-$750M/quarter). No matter how much anyone likes the non-Windows Microsoft products, without the historical Windows/Office sales and profits, its hard to see how long Microsoft can remain sustainable.

Also:

PS3 & Xbox 360 have lost billions of dollars.

The difference here is that actual figures are quoted, with the revelation that between them the PS3 and Xbox 360 have lost their respective companies a combined total of $8 billion. The PS3 has reportedly cost Sony around $5 billion, while the Xbox 360 has cost Microsoft around $3 billion.

And:

Xbox 360 and PS3 losses total $8 billion, ex-Sony employee paints grim future.

According to Cousins’ report on Kotaku, Microsoft has spent some $2.996bn on Xbox 360 since it launched in 2005, while Sony has fared worse, spending $4.951 billion on PS3.

Try again.

Top Bottom