• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG: Microsoft to reveal 'major 3rd party game' comes free with X1 [MCV: FIFA 14]

B.O.O.M

Fifa? That's a very interesting move. Could be a very good one for MS/XBone too in EU. Damn I can just imagine the amount of money they must have spent on this deal tho...EA won't just leave that money on the table.

gruenel

Guys, read the OP? Since when is FIFA a "unique Xbox exclusive"?

Edit: OP updated after I clicked "post reply". I'm retarded, sorry.

iMax

FIFA 14: Day One Edition, packed with exclusive content, I bet.

This is also only for the countries that got the delay, right ?

So the Tier 1 countries wouldn't get it.

The same MCV that said that the UK sold out its entire WiiU allocation day 1 and you couldn't get one anywhere ?

Nope, in addition to.

Guys, read the OP? Since when is FIFA a "unique Xbox exclusive"?

Read the updated OP.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Man that would be a huge advantage for Microsoft over Sony if they bundled Fifa in for free. That game sells like hot cake there and they must have money hated EA a fuck ton of money if true.

It's one way to keep preorders from straying, but a PS4 + Fifa (or whatever premium retail game you prefer) is still cheaper...

Raide

Might be something in this actually, as the MCV article alludes that it'll be available as an optional bundle for the same price, i.e. not included in every Xbox One, which could suggest an adult rated game.

CoD + Xbox One would be crazy. Wit it coming out Multformat, maybe Activision is crazy enough to got with MS as a bundle exclusive? Its Nov for Ghosts right?

Bsigg12

This is also only for the countries that got the delay, right ?

So the Tier 1 countries wouldn't get it.

No, that's a different already announced deal for the 8 that got cut from launch. This is for the other countries in Europe that are still in the 13. Though I hope it spills over to everywhere else as well.

Omikaru

I doubt MS wants to have a situation where customers are looking at Xbox One and PS4 and thinking:

- £430 for Xbox One plus this game for free.
- Or £350 for PS4 plus, if I want that game, an extra £50-£60, for £400-£410.

PS4 is still the better value proposition in that case, especially if it's a game that doesn't use the Kinect or require the PS4 camera or whatever.

Direct comparisons have not gone favourably for MS, so if they bundle a game it will be an exclusive. That way there's no direct comparison between it and PS4, and if you want that specific game then suddenly it being bundled for free with the only console it's available on makes it look like a £50 saving on a game, which is a lot more attractive.

Skeff

Why pack in a free game when they just released dutch PR saying that they sold all their launch consoles? i smell lies somewhere.

Considering How big a Success FIFA is for EA, on playstation consoles. I can't even fathom the amount of money Microsoft would pump into EA, for making it platform exclusive, maybe Next gen exclusive. But Not take away PS3 or 360 sales. That would hurt EA in the long run and i am sure they thought about the same things aswell.

The FIFA license prohibits exclusivity.

This would certainty help even the price difference a bit. Pack in titles are a pretty nice incentive when our console has no BC.

I know sony has some free to play games at release, but I'm not sure if they woudl toss a pack in title into the ps4 this close to release.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The developers of FIFA have been talking in interviews about both the PS4 and Xbox One versions. They can't possibly be nixing all the PS4 Fifa 14 preorders.

Given that they'd be nuts to make this a 16+ or higher rated game, I'm gonna guess this is Fantasia.

edit: never mind, that's a 2014 game.

Sorc3r3r

I hope it is FIFA the consequences would be very interesting to see.
All in for microsoft on the console space.

iMax

CoD + Xbox One would be crazy. Wit it coming out Multformat, maybe Activision is crazy enough to got with MS as a bundle exclusive? Its Nov for Ghosts right?

It is indeed. Not sure about COD, though. Activision and Microsoft are close, but not that close.

Riky

$MSFT
"Exclusive" could just mean it's the only console you get FIFA "Free" with.

So X1 with Kinect + Game is £429

How much would a PS4 be with a game and the camera?

Stealth50

I think it will be BF4. It would be mutually beneficial for both EA and MS. If they integrate some Kinect stuff like voice commands and hand aiming, ala KZ3 move, it could in theory be a "unique Xbox One exclusive".

Dabanton

Grand Theft Auto V?

Dear god can you imagine the hilarity of that.

Though there would no way that R* or MS could keep that under there hat could there? But then you wonder why MS would let Sony get the jump on them with the GTAV PS3s. Maybe they had something else cooking with R*...

How many copies does ea sell of FIFA? That is basically a huuuge check. Ea must be happy.
FIFA 13 shipped 14.5M units. Although that's across all platforms.

I assume the majority of that is PS3 and 360 though.

But this deal would essentially be Microsoft buying wholesale a million or so units of the game I guess.

FIFA is not going to be exclusive, I don't know why anyone is even contemplating that.

Yea I take back my fifa guess, it makes no sense to get exclusive content for the game if you're just gonna bundle it for free. So it's most likely that ubisoft kinect game and if not that it'll be something else for kinect imo.

Probably Fifa 14.

Fits perfectly with what a GAFfer who (yesterday I think) visited the Gamescom building said. He posted that the Xbox stand had a huge Fifa 14 banner still under wraps.

It would be a nice (and desperate) gesture but ultimately pointless. The customer can just buy a PS4 and the game separately and it still would be cheaper than the Xbox One with the free game.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
hate to say I called almost all of this (so far) waaaaay back in June... ;)

I have no doubt that most of these have been or are being talked about by Microsoft, just from a due diligence standpoint. It's not too late to save the Titanic before it sinks itself. It looks like avoiding the launch shortages will be impossible due to the yield issues, but that can be made up in the long term so let's ignore that for now.

1. Drop or *fix* DRM
Either match Sony's policy step for step or do what that Thurrot dude suggested and if the disc is present and in the drive, don't require any online checks at all. The military and everyone else will thank you for it. People say it's too late to back track on this but I don't think it's too late at all. Five months from launch and almost universal criticism means both Microsoft and its partners all have plenty to lose if they don't change course.

2. Publish League of Legends and Dayz as Exclusives
Look what getting Minecraft did. Hugely popular PC games brought to the console audience is a great idea. Don't hesitate. Do it.

3. Create a Better Microsoft published Indy XBLA program
One that would make XB1 the destination for Indies as exclusives or, at the very least, as easy port options. Drop this idea that you won't support ports. And stop making it so difficult for Indies to update and get their games up there. Ridiculous. The next minecraft could be found through this program.

4. Get the Console exclusive on Oculus Rift
It seems like it is there for the taking. You think those guys wouldn't want a huge partner who will support their new device? ORift is getting universal acclaim and it can be the next "Kinect" mid gen launch for the XB1 to give it another shot in the arm. By that time the price might be $199 and most XB1 games can be patched to support it. This is another no brainer.

5. Either Drop the Price to $399 or add more value
There's no reason this thing shouldn't be $399 or packed in with a game and a couple months of Live or more. Take that initial loss and the reward in market and mind share will be well worth it, especially considering all the royalties from games, dlc, online movies/music, etc. that await. If you want that box in every home, you have to price it right from the get go. $499 is one thing if there's no competition, but Microsoft has to stop living in a bubble.

Take these steps now, Microsoft, and you will reach 125mil + for XB1. Don't and watch the PS4 become the PS2 in market share.

KAL2006

Banned
PS4+FIFA = £395
Xbox One+FIFA = £430

So it's an extra £35 for a Xbox One if you are going to be interested in FIFA. Thats actually a good deal, as the person will get a similar system but with Kinect for a extra £35. Of course people can argue that PSN+ is cheaper than Gold and has the added value of Instant Game Collection.

jaypah

With PS version of Driveclub for free and possible 2 other free 2 play games (warframe, blacklight), I would disagree

So you disagree that it's better for MS to release at the current price with a game packed in, as opposed to launching with the same price and no game packed in? Because of Driveclub? Neither one of those sentences make much sense to me. Unless they're behind fanboy goggles (no offense).

My point was that MS isn't going to reach price parity with PS4. So what would be the better deal? $500 and a free game or $500 without a free game? I wasn't making that statement from a "list wars bullet point price battle". Just stating the obvious, a packed in game will help MS more than no game packed in.

Why pack in a free game when they just released dutch PR saying that they sold all their launch consoles? i smell lies somewhere.

I didn't realize people already had their xbox ones over there LOL.

Man this smells of desperation from microsoft. Pre-order numbers must be really bad.

A bit of desperation, whatever it is, can be good for gamers. If it means a free major third party title like Fifa, then the Xbox One launch is officially a megaton for me. I absolutely love Fifa.

Raide

Could it be a kind of Kinect Nintendoland ? That would be a good start to sell to non-gamers audience

Some combo of Nintendoland + Kinect Sports + Kinect Adventures etc to show off the Kinect would be perfect to Bundle.

Kinda the way Nintendo should have pre-installed Nintendoland to get people to try it.

JABEE

It would be interesting if it was FIFA.

I think it's probably going to be a Kinect pack-in to give something for Kinect gamers to play this Fall.

A Europe-Only FIFA bundle makes sense though if sales were looking like shit and the box costs over $600.

Top Bottom