• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG Rumor: Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drek

I don't know much about soccer, but I can't think of any exclusivity they could offer for Madden DLC that would make someone want to switch consoles. What exists in soccer that could do that? More flop animations?

Micro-transactions that let you bribe CPU officials to rig online matches Xbox 720 exclusive.

So this'll be MS paying out to screw over PS4 gamers then? Such a shitty company nowadays. Why can't they spend their money on actual games? Such a negative tactic. Its bad for all consumers as even XBox games just end up paying for this through XBL fees.

Both Sony and MS pay money to withhold content from you as a PC only gamer.

To be fair, it looks like Sony are paying Activision to screw Xbox gamers out of Destiny DLC. It rubs both ways. Neither MS or Sony have the gamers' interests at heart so let's not pretend that either one of them is acting in our interests.

He is a PC only gamer so he gets locked out of content from both companies.

It's more building up association with the brand, Fifa is likely the biggest game across Europe and if they can place the Xbox as the home of Fifa in the minds of the buyer, then they'd gain market share. Exclusive DLC along with heavy marketing would do that.

The only DLC they have that people would pay for is UEFA, and honestly it's pointless to even buy it IMO. But that's the only thing that would sell people, and even then it doesn't really change much. There is no sports game DLC hatting that can be done to ensure a good ROI.

Hindle

Banned
I'm fairly certain MS will get exclusive DLC next gen, but I'm more interested if they get actual timed exclusives.

Greenberg said Sonys conference was only a 6, an announcement like this would surely be a bombshell.

Gah I'm just going to go with "its bullshit" typical games journalists after more hits.

Linkified

Oh I thought that was mentioned before. But yes. Right on about the "always on" mention. Just like Acti mentioned it to...or was that THQ or ah...someone just recently.

Or more like a game like Watch_Dogs where the multiplayer integrates within the single player experience. Or Destiny that requires an internet connection.

You're missing the point. I said earlier god only knows what the exclusive could be. It could be a meaningless one. You're focusing on the wrong part of the argument here.
Your argument is that publishers are promising something big, not something meaningless. Which, considering FIFA and BF4 were confirmed, leaves Madden, which exclusivity is also doubtful.

What does Microsoft gain from blocking used games in some capacity? They don't "lose" royalty revenue to used games.

Publishers have more to gain from used game monetization than from completely blocking them. Publishers have little to gain from platform exclusivity, at great risk.

Publishers can just sell activation codes; Microsoft can take a cut. Sony may do the same thing for all we know, or neither may.

With the way the PS4 is technologically, MS can moneyhat all they fucking want, it will finally have a ton of games to compete with stupid time exclusive deals.

What does Microsoft gain from blocking used games in some capacity? They don't "lose" royalty revenue to used games.

Yes, they do.

Console manufacturers get a percentage of the price of every first hand game sold on the system, is not a fixed value. But if a game sold less retail units because of the second hand sales, they also lose the royalties of those units that aren't sold.

Also, they get a percentage of the benefits of the DLC and digital games. And that include online-passes or theorical "second-hand" passes.

Dysun

So the content EA cuts from their finish product to nickel and dime you out of 15 more bucks is only available on Microsoft's Nextbox? OH NOES

This thread reminded me of Microsoft's E3 2011 presentation. It had Peter Moore and Dr. Ray from Bioware, both who had been working with Microsoft before EA. Probably wishful thinking, but I'd love to see Peter Moore and Bioware's new IP(or Dragon age/Mass Effect) at an Xbox event. It'd be just like old times haha.

Yes, they do.

Console manufacturers get a percentage of the price of every first hand game sold on the system, is not a fixed value. But if a game sold less retail units because of the second hand sales, they also lose the royalties of those units that aren't sold.

Also, they get a percentage of the benefits of the DLC and digital games. And that include online-passes or theorical "second-hand" passes.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I was answering my own question.

I.e. that is what Microsoft gains from blocking used - less lost royalties.

Ergo, Microsoft could just push ahead with this "used game blocking system" out of their own interest if they believe that they can still sell the system.

Eager to see how this all plays out :D
image.php

Ooh 8~10 times this gen in performance. Ps4 is 8 times this gen. So does that means durango is 10 times this gen. 2xGPU dream goes on.

/jumping to conclusions.

I can see it now, Battlefield 4 with Kinect and battlelog.

Next Xbox:
"Sorry your Kinect must be online for Battlefield 4 to work, please reconnect your Kinect"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Still cracks me up that CVG tried to use the idea of Peter Moore being in charge = Xbox partners. What a load of crap.

Hex

Banned
Edit: Eager to see how many people rush to post without looking to see when the original posts were made.
Edit 2 :Actually the story in the op contradicts itself all over the place.

Kunan

"I think, typically, at the start of a cycle, you’ve seen the pricing raise, say, to $69 for a core piece of software,” he said. “And then over the life of those, that’s drifted down to introduction price, typically now around $59. We haven’t yet set pricing on our gen 4s, but you probably see a similar trend to that during the start of the next cycle."
Once. Game costs in previous generations were in a state of flux, and even went down during the ps2 generation.

Portable games have since risen once. Perhaps that is supposed to be the definition of the trend.

Moze

Banned
so basically MS is just taking content away from non xbox gamers instead of creating their own new content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom