• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG Rumor: Microsoft to reveal EA partnership at Next Xbox event

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

any numbers to prove that it worked or maybe X360 COD userbase had already been bigger in the US to sell more ? I didn't jump on time exclusive bandwagon, never will no matter who makes a deal with whom. I see it as a 2 minute fame for E3 audience that's all.
Besides EA doesn't have a single game to out match COD in sales right now.

As a pure mind-share thing, MS pretty much wrapped up CoD, even if the user-base of the PS3 increased massively over the last few years. They must have had a good reason to keep throwing money at CoD DLC. Personally exclusive DLC does not get me to buy the game. Sure it is nice if it happens to be for the console I currently own but its not a do-or-die thing.

Are we talking in the shooter realm of things? BF might not be as big but it has certainly gained ground. Next-gen I don't think saying 60fps CoD is going to sell it as much as 60fps Battlefield will. My own opinion of course. :D

Violater

Well, they deserve each other

preach.gif

Good job.

Raide

X360 got a exclusive FIFA in the launch.

I think I remember being at GC06 when they announced that.

MS just need to grab launch exclusive on Madden, Fifa and Battlefield and that will go a long way to convincing people which one they will go for. Of course they have to make it a sufficient time that people have to buy the 720 first to just play the latest versions.

DEADEVIL

And from that leaked document they turned the Destiny reveal into some nefarious plan by Microsoft to steal Sony's thunder. And then Bungie shows up at Sony's reveal and essentially thumbs their nose at Microsoft. Pretty epic turnabout there.

Not sure how some people saw it. The leaked documents always pegged it at multi-plat with options that the 360 might get the game earlier.

There were a few people that thought te announcement had something to do with MS.

But in hindsight I think it was smart for them to do the reveal to get the game out there before they showed up on the stage in NYC.

Why would it be seen as Bungie throwing their noses up at MS? I think it was a wise move by activision because they know Destiny big fan base was already going to come from MS systems.

Either way Sony got DLC content.

What's not know is what MS got from Bungie or Blizzard?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
FIFA exclusive? LOL I hardly doubt that.
I think exclusive DLC on BF4 & the Respawn game will be much more likely.

A French website has apparently leaked that Destiny will come out in early October.

Some tech sites are speculating that the NeXtbox/720/Durango/final name here, will launch with it.

So October for Microsoft??

I don't buy the Destiny rumor at all. Voice-to-text sounds great. If it works as well as my iPad/Mac, it'll get a ton of use by me.

Well, they deserve each other

Two successful companies working together is a good thing. I agree with you.

Why not? They might go 720 exclusive and still bring out a 360, PS3 and Wii-U version. I don't see them giving up a massive user-base of the previous-gen consoles but they could still release the best version on a next-gen machine first.

I doubt EA would ever screw with Sony FIFA fans in Europe like that. It wouldn't make any sense at all.

Raide

FIFA exclusive? LOL I hardly doubt that.
I think exclusive DLC on BF4 & the Respawn game will be much more likely.

Why not? They might go 720 exclusive and still bring out a 360, PS3 and Wii-U version. I don't see them giving up a massive user-base of the previous-gen consoles but they could still release the best version on a next-gen machine first.

I dont want BF4 to be screwed around, nothing major outside of what EA already does with Sony, I hope.

FIFA exclusive would be a blow to Sony EU, and a pretty smart early-move by MS

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think I remember being at GC06 when they announced that.

MS just need to grab launch exclusive on Madden, Fifa and Battlefield and that will go a long way to convincing people which one they will go for. Of course they have to make it a sufficient time that people have to buy the 720 first to just play the latest versions.

NFL license likely doesn't allow for exclusives.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hmm, I see your point. I guess we'll wait and see how this plays out.

Knoxcore

A month or two is all they need. Worked well for CoD.

Not entirely. Yes, more units were sold on the XBox, but MW3 and Black Ops sold 10 million+ on both consoles and BO2 looks to do the same. In the U.S. that's a different story. XBox dominates.

Coen

Not at all. Just consider it a very short term, 1 game, 1st party dev for the console that gets it. Exclusivity abounds in all forms on the consoles. There isn't anything wrong with it at all.

Did they? I didn't even remember that.

But they're not first party, so yes, gamers lose.

Knoxcore

If it's exclusive DLC...I'm fine with it.
If it's an exclusive new game...I'm fine with it.
If it's timed exclusivity of existing IPs...it poses a problem for Sony, but it's workable.
If it's exclusivity of existing and future IPs...this is dangerous for the industry.

Karak

But they're not first party, so yes, gamers lose.

Not at all. That doesn't even make sense.
Or are we saying I lose because Naughty Dog doesn't make MS system games and I currently just have a MS system? Though I could easily get the system I wanted. Exclusivity abounds in whatever form you can imagine on systems. No one loses anything. First party, third party, or these 2nd party, it's regardless. Unless somehow we consider it a badge of honor that a company holds the reins of the dev be they Jonathan B, or Rare, or ND. If that is so we need arbitrary rules for what a 1st party is as we have tons of variations of that alone not even including 3rd party devs and the various ways their games could come out.

Zemm

I can't remember it either, but that's because Fifa was crap back then and was 2nd to PES by a large margin.

Whatever this deal is, you can bet it won't involve anything significant.

Raide

I can't remember it either, but that's because Fifa was crap back then and was 2nd to PES by a large margin.

Whatever this deal is, you can bet it won't involve anything significant.

If I can remember rightly from GC06, it was Pro Evolution Soccer 6 and FIFA 07 for 360. I am sure they did some time base deal and I remember it being pretty big. Not really for the US markets.

Karak

If I can remember rightly from GC06, it was Pro Evolution Soccer 6 and FIFA 07 for 360. I am sure they did some time base deal and I remember it being pretty big. Not really for the US markets.

Odd deal. That might be why I can't remember it. Or the fact that I almost never care about that stuff. But seems like you said. More of a Europe thing then.

Radec

Imagine GTA:V with Microsoft products in it.

Your character's phone is a WP8.

Someone listening to a music with a Zune.

Your boss uses a Surface.

A net cafe has windows 8 in it.

Your buddy is playing a 720 with Halo in it.

MS Logos everywhere.

Balmer and Don on the radio.

Raide

Odd deal. That might be why I can't remember it. Or the fact that I almost never care about that stuff. But seems like you said. More of a Europe thing then.

Yeah, I am sure people did say "Waaaaa? How did they manage that?" Not sure if it ultimately worked in their favor or not. :D

I am sure Fifa or BF4 now would have more of an impact.

Not at all. Just consider it a very short term, 1 game, 1st party dev for the console that gets it. Exclusivity abounds in all forms on the consoles. There isn't anything wrong with it at all.

Think it was exclusive to 360, as the PS3 wasnt actually released then, pretty sure it was on at least PS2.

Your buddy is playing a 720 with Halo in it.

MS Logos everywhere.

How is that different than the blatant product placement in MGS4?

Biggzy

Yeah but FIFA came out in October, PS3 came out in November. Potentially that could happen again but an exclusive makes some sense in that situation.

I still see no reason why EA couldn't have released the game at launch, they did it with FIFA 13 and the WiiU. In any case it won't happen again.

Mr E.

Hope Gran Turismo can get hold of Porsche this time around. Pretty certain Forza will get it this time but don't screw with GT please.

Karak

Hope Gran Turismo can get hold of Porsche this time around. Pretty certain Forza will get it this time but don't screw with GT please.

It is very jarring to see a game without a major manufacturer.

Yeah, I am sure people did say "Waaaaa? How did they manage that?" Not sure if it ultimately worked in their favor or not. :D

I am sure Fifa or BF4 now would have more of an impact.
BF4 would be a huge thing. I am not as disbelieving of something like this happening as others but I am still questioning how it would occur and what impact it would make.

It would be a smart move if they can secure exclusive Fifa DLC, the franchise is massive in Europe.

I don't know much about soccer, but I can't think of any exclusivity they could offer for Madden DLC that would make someone want to switch consoles. What exists in soccer that could do that? More flop animations?

Hindle

Banned
I don't know much about soccer, but I can't think of any exclusivity they could offer for Madden DLC that would make someone want to switch consoles. What exists in soccer that could do that? More flop animations?

It's more building up association with the brand, Fifa is likely the biggest game across Europe and if they can place the Xbox as the home of Fifa in the minds of the buyer, then they'd gain market share. Exclusive DLC along with heavy marketing would do that.

Everyone is making a big deal about the possible $69.99 EA price hike, but there was something else in the investors conference summary that caught my eye.

Many more opportunities in "always on" connected gaming

Doesn't that strongly hint that the rumors that Durango will require an always online internet connection are true? That makes me also think that this rumor about an EA partnership is also true, especially if the no used game things turns out to be true too. I just hope it's insignificant like exclusive content or timed exclusives and not an attempt by EA to Dreamcast the PS4 like they did with the Dreamcast.

-Amon-

MS Logos everywhere.

Nobody would pay for that.

Karak

Doesn't that strongly hint that the rumors that Durango will require an always online internet connection are true? That makes me also think that this rumor about an EA partnership is also true, especially if the no used game things turns out to be true too. I just hope it's insignificant like exclusive content or timed exclusives and not an attempt by EA to Dreamcast the PS4 like they did with the Dreamcast.

Oh I thought that was mentioned before. But yes. Right on about the "always on" mention. Just like Acti mentioned it to...or was that THQ or ah...someone just recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom