• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dallas Police Chief: "We’re Asking Cops To Do Too Much In This Country’"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Stop reaching for your gun first. Stop acting like criminal activity is automatically the only response to shootings, when most of the issues is just killing people even for things not particularly criminal

The laws have made the criminal justice system and police by definition the jailers perpetuating this type of society as well. They do have things to solve.

It's almost as if some people are trying their hardest to cherry pick and come off as righteous.

It's almost like some people are willfully ignoring what the problem with the police is in the first place.

How is joining the police going to dismantle the blue wall that allows shit to happen in the first place? So now there are no more protesters because they've been swallowed into a corrupt institution that coerces silence and ousts whistleblowers.

MogCakes

Yes I'm so entrenched as to take his words as verbatim.

How do you interpret that as anything but stop protesting and become a boy in blue. He literally says it.
You interpret it that way because you have taken it out of context of the rest of what he's talking about.

How do you interpret that as anything but stop protesting and become a boy in blue. He literally says it.

Without knowing anything else about him, I'd agree. Given his efforts of firing officers (standing up to the union to do so), supporting whistleblowers and working with protestors? I think we can try to take it in the best possible light.

When he says "Get off that protest line and put an application in" we don't have to take it as an order. It could be interpreted as specifically wanting people on the protest line to become cops. Like if you specifically wanted math whizzes to become cops you might say "put down your calculator and put an application in" but it wouldn't mean "calculators are bad."

Again, trying to put it the best possible way, because it seems he's earned that.

MogCakes

How is joining the police going to dismantle the blue wall that allows shit to happen in the first place? So now there are no more protesters because they've been swallowed into a corrupt institution that coerces silence and ousts whistleblowers.
If you read up on this guy and what he has done, you wouldn't be saying that. He is of course just one PD chief, but he is talking about his department. He's more than an empty mouthpiece.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So let me get this straight. He holds a press conference where he says that the system has society has failed and that cops are being pushed to fill roles that they aren't equipped for, but that Congress needs to act on gun control, and that open carry has made it difficult to tell the good guys with guns from the bad guys with guns. But because of one question where he's asked what can people do and he answers to explain his own background and reason for being a cop and suggesting that people follow in his footsteps, he's just telling protestors to stop protesting?

It's almost as if some people are trying their hardest to cherry pick and come off as righteous.

He says these problems are being put on the police's shoulders, and then says get off the protest line and join the police to solve the problems.

MogCakes

He says these problems are being put on the police's shoulders, and then says get off the protest line and join the police to solve the problems.
Those are separate comments during the presser. The line about joining the police is during his talk about how he became a cop and why he did it, and his intent seems to be that he wants more people who want change and progression in the police force to make it happen.

Zoe

Joining the force was a separate tangent. And just because the police are being expected to address situations they have no business with doesn't mean that they couldn't use more people when they truly are needed. Their resources are being pulled away frivolously, and his efforts to clean up the force have resulted in a lack of applicants.

If you read up on this guy and what he has done, you wouldn't be saying that. He is of course just one PD chief, but he is talking about his department. He's more than an empty mouthpiece.

That's the problem though. It's one PD, and he's speaking on a national platform - that's why we're even talking about it here. Sweeping reform is not going to happen by picking protesters off the lines and making them cops. The problems run too deep.

The police are still a big part of it. It needs to be much easier to fire bad cops (and prevent them from relocating). It needs to be much safer to blow the whistle on other cops. There needs to be training not to escalate situations, to de-escalate situations, and to know when not to intervene at all. There need to be evaluations to detect racist and other dangerous attitudes. And so on. This is all easier if people who support the protests make up a greater percentage of the police. And he would know, because he has already clashed with the union. He knows what would help his cause.

That's the problem though. It's one PD, and he's speaking on a national platform - that's why we're even talking about it here. Sweeping reform is not going to happen by picking protesters off the lines and making them cops. The problems run too deep.

Correct, which is why I think he was calling out legislators and those who vote for them. A lot of police feel like they are being thrown under the bus by legislators:

"The other aspects of government need to step up and help us."

Like I said earlier, I don't think this is aimed at BLM. But for people who claim to support police and not BLM. Guess what, you don't really care about police then. Because things like failing schools, gun control, infrastructure, poverty, mass incarceration really need to be handled by legislators, not police, and if you leave it all to police that's not supporting them. That's using them as a tool to maintain disparity.

MogCakes

My interpretation of that is he worked his way up in the existing hierarchy to make change and is trying to encourage others to follow in his footsteps.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
To be clear, he's not just passing the buck to avoid having to improve his police department. He's been making progress reforming since he took up the post.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertsamaha/dallas-police-numbers?utm_term=.wnV5zYEazB#.vxGREPNeEW

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ing-those-things-could-now-be-more-difficult/

Dallas PD still has work to do, but they trying. Progress is being made. It's never as quick as is wanted or needed, but it's still worth acknowledging. And if you look at the protest in Dallas vs the protest in Baton Rouge, it's night and day. Dallas had zero riot gear, no tear gas, etc -- they didn't bring in heavy equipment. They didn't surround protesters or drag anybody away. They didn't point guns at anybody or shout orders on a loud speaker. They blocked off streets for the protestors.

He's essentially saying "Be the change you want to see."

Firing is the LEAST they could do.

They know the cop maced and kicked a handcuffed individual. That is aggravated assault.

These cops need to be charged, not just disciplined or fired.

Noirulus

One side wants to end police brutality, what does the other side want?

One side wants to end Police brutality, yes, but their means of achieving hasn't exactly gone well. You can't possibly tell me killing five innocent officers who were trying to stand up for the movement was justified.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
It actually says 67% are in single parent households not that the father isn't in their lives

I'm on mobile but here's another take on the study
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/08/opinion/charles-blow-black-dads-are-doing-the-best-of-all.html

That's not another take on the study that's deflecting an issue by saying "Out of these percentages the black fathers that stay/leave are the best" Which is awesome, but that's an alarmingly high number at 67%. Regardless if it's a single father or mother.

And there's absolutely no problem with addressing that. If things need to be done, and cops feel they're not able to (Which I never even thought they were responsible for doing, sounds ridiculous) then solutions should be discussed.

Inuhanyou

One side wants to end Police brutality, yes, but their means of achieving hasn't exactly gone well. You can't possibly tell me killing five innocent officers who were trying to stand up for the movement was justified.

Why are you equating BLM with criminals who take matters into their own hands? He was not a protester, nor was he affiliated with BLM. So don't act like their aims are the same or that even a minority is what a majority represent. BLM have been on TV ever since the incident denouncing and railing against the acts of violence while still protesting their legitimate issues.

Cagey

Banned
It seems his core point is:

When society puts off solving their problems, this eventually results in crime, and then cops are called in to clean it up. And this isn't good. Society should fix the underlying issues before it results in crime and the police have to get involved.

To me, it sounds like that's what he's getting at with the black single mothers comment.

And that sounds like a legitimate point to me.
Correct. It doesn't take much in the way of reading comprehension to understand this. Too many see the phrase "police chief" and start automated response scripts of one liner dismissals, gleefully tossed out, without care for anything else.

Reminds me of a Patton Oswalt stand-up that observed how a segment of liberal minded people are too preoccupied with the superficiality of proper language as a marker for right/wrong and relatively unconcerned with the intent behind the damn message. It's intellectually lazy to approach with that sort of surface level checklist.

Better people becoming police officers would mean there are more better people as police officers. That's a good thing for society. That's not a cure-all, it's not even close to such, but it's not controversial to say that it's an undeniable improvement.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
My interpretation of that is he worked his way up in the existing hierarchy to make change and is trying to encourage others to follow in his footsteps.
I agree. And the more people you have within the system that have been critical of the system, the easier it is to enact change.

I agree. Add in having to deal with second amendment too

I'd also say teachers face this to a lesser degree

I find myself in the same, strange boat of agreeing with him as well.

At least, my interpretation, is that instead of expecting cops to deal with domestic violence calls, truancy, murder, rape, you name it they do it, pretty much keeping some of the more violent communities from blowing up, AND then blaming them for (some of) the problems is a Catch 22.

Maybe im not reading it right but hes tl;dr saying the communities have to take a long look at themselves and start working together with the police to fix things.

If you wanna actually argue BLM wants to simply kill innocent officers than I'm going to counter that the police are an organization of oppression and destruction to the black community that kill us everyday for fun because it's cool to shed bled and never face consequences. And they have been doing it for decades because they feel their cause is just and righteous.

rokkerkory

Cnn just had a powerful interview with the Dr that tried to save some of the cops but couldn't... He was understandably in distraught and talked about some of his own experiences with cops growing up. He said some amazing and very real things... Even how he wants his daughter to view cops in her experiences with them. Trying to find a link but it was damn powerful.

Inuhanyou

"The communities are just bad and need to take responsibility instead of blaming the cops"

Maybe, if we take a look back and see what exactly caused these communities to fall into poverty and no hope situations that cause people to turn to violence and use violence as a first reaction, maybe it'll be easier to understand why it is people are protesting the system, including the justice system that propagates many of the same circular destructive attitudes.

Pterion

huh? How is this BLM's fault?

Infinite

That's not another take on the study that's deflecting an issue by saying "Out of these percentages the black fathers that stay/leave are the best" Which is awesome, but that's an alarmingly high number at 67%. Regardless if it's a single father or mother.

And there's absolutely no problem with addressing that. If things need to be done, and cops feel they're not able to (Which I never even thought they were responsible for doing, sounds ridiculous) then solutions should be discussed.

thats not whats its saying but ok.

quickwhips

I feel like he made some valid points. Parenting has got to be a greater concern for how people turn out. The fact they want a police officer in every school isn't want police were made for originally. But this doesn't fix the gun issue or trigger happy cops.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
What does this have to do with the protesters or their goals?

Noirulus

Why are you equating BLM with criminals who take matters into their own hands? He was not a protester, nor was he affiliated with BLM. So don't act like their aims are the same or that even a minority is what a majority represent. BLM have been on TV ever since the incident denouncing and railing against the acts of violence while still protesting their legitimate issues.

I get your point, but just earlier we had BLM protestors throwing rocks and glass bottles. A molotov cocktail was also thrown. So can the BLM movement still be considered strictly peaceful ? I get that it was initially envisioned as a peaceful message to get the government to do something about unjust racial discrimination, but it's now devolved into something more complicated, and it's not so easy to fully support the BLM camp anymore. As Gandhi said

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind

quickwhips

You see shit that scars you for life, put yourself in traumatic life-threatening situations, are frequently disrespected, and get paid like shit.

Why do people think cops get paid like shit? Where I live a cop made half a million dollars in paid overtime. his base salary was 70k. This is patrol not a captain they make 100k plus. Most start at 55k and after a few years of testing can be close to 70k on patrol.

Kin5290

Why do people think cops get paid like shit? Where I live a cop made half a million dollars in paid overtime. his base salary was 70k. This is patrol not a captain they make 100k plus. Most start at 55k and after a few years of testing can be close to 70k on patrol.
Dallas cops make fuckall. Rookies start at like 44k.

Infinite

The fathers that stay are the best fathers. The fathers that leave are the best fathers. Going by this. Correct? I have no problem admitting that I'm sure they absolutely are.

It's saying that 67% of black dads dont live with their kids but that doesn't mean they are completely absent for the lives of their children and not involved as a father. black fathers also happen to be the most involved in the lives of their children, whether they live with them or not, more than any other racial group.

I get your point, but just earlier we had BLM protestors throwing rocks and glass bottles. A molotov cocktail was also thrown. So can the BLM movement still be considered strictly peaceful ? I get that it was initially envisioned as a peaceful message to get the government to do something about unjust racial discrimination, but it's now devolved into something more complicated, and it's not so easy to fully support the BLM camp anymore. As Gandhi said

A protest where some shit gets thrown doesn't then by nature invalidate the hundreds of other protests under the exact same name where everything is entirely peaceful. This is a garbage point. Are the police nothing more than oppressors because they enforce a system of systemic racism? Is government purely greedy because some members barely serve any time? Is someone stupid because they fail a test? If BLM isn't considered a movement of peace and non violence by hundreds demonstrable examples and repeated promotion of non-violence then literally nothing can claim a position.

Come on man.

Ray Wonder

It's saying that 67% of black dads dont live with their kids but that doesn't mean they are completely absent for the lives of their children and not involved as a father. black fathers also happen to be the most involved in the lives of their children, whether they live with them or not, more than any other racial group.

I really don't want to keep trying to emphasize this because it's subject I'd rather not even talk about if necessary.

But that's a small percent of people taking care of their kid, that aren't living with their kid, in all three categories. And yeah, they're the best ones that aren't living there, but they're still 14% more than the second category (Native American, which I am) and 50% more than the lowest category. That's an issue that should be addressed if need be.

Crosseyes

Banned
I can get where the Chief is coming from. Like people have observed he's tried to take steps to actually make the changes necessary for our police forces. The stuff he's implemented if taken nationwide would make calls to violence much more avoidable.

Scaling back petty offences that prey on vulnerable communities, ousting and non-tolerance of officers that use brutality while praising those who whistle-blow it...

Wish that the retaliation taken against police institutions would've been launched against a department that would've been more deserving of retribution.

BokehKing

Banned
Sounds like he is understaffed and wouldn't mind having people on the force that have the community in mind and with baby steps, help rebuild the trust long lost between the cops and the people of Dallas. It wouldn't fix a nation wide issue but could be a shining example. It has to start..... somewhere

And he is right, the cops don't need to be there for every little thing, there should be unarmed officers or public servants that can handle the no violent issues.

Noirulus

A protest where some shit gets thrown doesn't then by nature invalidate the hundreds of other protests under the exact same name where everything is entirely peaceful.

I don't know about you, but a protest where the protesters use violence while standing behind a movement, does have an effect on the movement. That doesn't mean it invalidates the movement, but it will have an effect on the public's view.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post is trying to get at tbh

My take away is that we shouldn't have military/law enforcement solutions to social problems.

And that is true.

There's only one way America knows how to deal with shit and it always involves weapons, cops/military, and jails. Time for a more holistic approach.

Infinite

I really don't want to keep trying to emphasize this because it's subject I'd rather not even talk about if necessary.

But that's a small percent of people taking care of their kid, that aren't living with their kid, in all three categories. And yeah, they're the best ones that aren't living there, but they're still 14% more than the second category (Native American, which I am) and 50% more than the lowest category. That's an issue that should be addressed if need be.

the problem here is this rhetoric becomes racist talking points to dismiss systemic issues particularly black folk point out where this isn't even an issue that is unique to the black community or even as dire comparatively. Also as mike William pointed out this particularly issue intersects with the fact that black men are incarcerated at disproportionate rates here in America.

Ray Wonder

the problem here is this rhetoric becomes racist talking points to dismiss systemic issues particularly black folk point out where this isn't even an issue that is unique to the black community or even as dire comparatively. Also as mike William pointed out this particularly issue intersects with the fact that black men are incarcerated at disproportionate rates here in America.

The problem is there's a LOT of issues, including a fuck ton of racist ones that should also be discussed, but when you discuss one like this it's hard not to sound racist, and that's why I hate them and would rather avoid them.

If you didn't see my point with my last post, then that's too bad for both of us, I'd rather not continue talking about this because it makes me uncomfortable.

I don't know about you, but a protest where the protesters use violence while standing behind a movement, does have an effect on the movement. That doesn't mean it invalidates the movement, but it will have an effect on the public's view.

I'm not sure what the rest of your post is trying to get at tbh

The point I am making is if you think it' valid to label a movement that exercises non violence in 99% of it's actions by the 1% that quite frankly is provoked, you're being dishonest. BLM is a movement of none violence. Some dumbass who throws a rock does not invalidate the whole thing. They don't define it in any way. If that's all it takes to affect a movement than literally there is no movement or organization on planet earth that can preach non-violence by that criteria.

He's making sense to me. First things to change should be the decriminalization of most drugs and severe restrictions on handgun sales (as well as more cash or gun trade-in).

Infinite

The problem is there's a LOT of issues, including a fuck ton of racist ones that should also be discussed, but when you discuss one like this it's hard not to sound racist, and that's why I hate them and would rather avoid them.

If you didn't see my point with my last post, then that's too bad for both of us, I'd rather not continue talking about this because it makes me uncomfortable.
That's fine and I understood your point was just making sure you got mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom