• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III - E3 Demo Impressions

feel

Miyazaki taking over the level design is all I needed to know
Yep, liking most of what I'm reading, we're in for another great one.

Hopefully this is the one where he allows no fast travel at all, the first half of DKS1 was the most glorious segment of all these games for me because of it. I want to be stuck in shitholes like Blight Town and having to really fight and struggle to get out, I don't want an easy way in and out, that just kills the mood for me. I just want to have that sense of travel place and adventure.

Hunter S.

As someone who started with Dark Souls 2 and loved it. I am looking forward to playing Demon Souls and Dark Souls to see why they are so much better. Some how I doubt I will find them better.

I think Dark Souls 2 is excellent, but I'm glad they're getting rid of agility and bringing back DkS1 parries in Dark Souls III.

I'm a bit more "eh" on DkS1 backstabs. I think in Souls 3, the DkS1 backstabs should only work if you're able to sneak up on the enemy unnoticed or somehow stun it. Don't allow it to work by simply circling around the enemy, unless you're able to somehow distract or stun it first.

Yonafunu

So damn excited.

What is that about the world being shared with DkS1 and 2? What does that mean exactly? That it's not completely new but part of the same mythos, or that it's literally the same areas?

SoldnerKei

everything I read is good on my book, I don't mind 30fps on console & PC peeps gonna go over that one anyway

really looking forward to this

As long as this is more Demon's/Dark/Bloodborne than Dark Souls 2, I'm in.

edit:

but I am a little souls fatigued and skeptical, after Dark Souls 2 just not doing it for me, and Bloodborne was awesome, but didn't make me obsessed like Demon's and Dark did.

Naked Lunch

Stopped reading at 30fps. Devs should know better - especially after your previous entry showed everyone why 60 is so great.

eot

Banned
As long as this is more Demon's/Dark/Bloodborne than Dark Souls 2, I'm in.

edit:

but I am a little souls fatigued and skeptical, after Dark Souls 2 just not doing it for me, and Bloodborne was awesome, but didn't make me obsessed like Demon's and Dark did.

Yeah, I actually ended up dropping BB even faster than DkSII despite liking it more. Still need to finish my lvl4 run.

I still think the backstab system in DK1 was so stupid. You shouldn't be able to get a backstab on a enemy who has already seen you just by rolling behind them. Wish they forced you to sneak up on people to get it.

Zaventem

My guess is that the game will use a mix of 1 and 2's weight/roll mechanics. Continuous, non cut-off dependence on roll type, but distance and i-frames are linked as in 1. I suspect that weight load will still be a separate state from the stat that boosts stamina

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/17/dar...ark-souls-2-says-miyazaki-about-games-design/

Found it

“For instance, we adopted the concept of rapid fire for the short bow, and the animation between rolling and walking has been smoothed out. I don’t think we’re going to employ the idea of agility, otherwise the action would be stressful until you raise your stats.”

Neoweee

Seanspeed

Banned
People without a gaming PC had no reason to assume the series would become a 60fps series. The only console 60fps Souls is a remaster.
It's not a reasonable assumption no, but I'll still stick up for a console gamer who wants a 60fps Souls experience. They saw the light and are justified in wanting more.

Not everybody has a gaming PC.

Not a possibility according to PC gamers.

I didn't mind BB at 30 though. I mean DS2 at 60 was pretty smooth, but eerily smooth. Bloodborne other than in Central Yarnham ran buttery smooth for me, so I'm not sure where people are saying 30 fps for that was bad.

robin2

DS1 backstabs are the best for me. Seems like i'm the only one. The animation was way better than that swish swosh in DS2, a good old stab! way more satisfying.
I think the same.

Anyway what I wanted to read the most is the bit about the level-world design.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Certain weapons can be dual wielded. The ones we saw in the demo were called “Legion Scimitars“. The player could wield one and a shield or swap to one in each hand. These swords appear to only be 1 item and therefore should only take up 1 slot in your inventory, even though you can use two.
Hmm, interesting. Not sure how I feel about this. I guess instead of powerstancing, it's only specific weapons that have something like the trick weapon mode in Bloodborne?

It seems more limiting than Dark Souls 2's dual-wielding, so that's a bit disappointing. At least I know dual scimitars are in. I hope dual kats are in too or else GTFO!

Kicking coming back is great news, I hated that slap from Dark Souls 2.
I don't get that. The guard-break move was infinitely more useful than the useless kick.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
There's screenshots and concept art in the wild.http://www.gamersyde.com/game_images_3267_en.html

Dark Souls II and Bloodborne were both announced with CGI trailers so another CGI trailer for this one shouldn't be unexpected.

Ooh. Thank you. Yea, I hear you about the announcement trailers thing, but its odd to have a functional demo that you only show the press. Maybe they're trying to avoid a potential visual downgradegate. Who knows. Either way it's a little disappointing, especially considering its E3.

Neoweee

I think the same.

Anyway what I wanted to read the most is the bit about the level-world design.

After the backlash to Dark Souls 2, there was a 100% chance of going back to an interconnected world, regardless of who was directing the game.

robin2

After the backlash to Dark Souls 2, there was a 100% chance of going back to an interconnected world, regardless of who was directing the game.
Sure.
I wasn't exactly referencing to the director thing, but just about the "back to heavily interconnected, no hub, world" part.

Robot Pants

NO MORE AGILITY STAT?'
NO MORE SOUL MEMORY?
DEDICATED SERVERS? (Kinda)
FASTER COMBAT?
PRAISING OF THE SUN?!
INTERCONNECTED WORLD THAT MIYAZAKI OVERLOOKED HIMSELF?

I have the biggest smile on my face.
I'm so happy.

Gbraga

I love kick for PVE, but the guard break with a specific critical move was very nice for PVP.

Oh well, whatever. It's still early. Bloodborne also had the kick in the early builds, who knows what we'll get.

The Greatsword had a new move called a “Lunge” where you hold the blade in two hands and quickly lung forward about half a foot with your shoulder and then can attack quickly with a slicing uppercut that can knock enemies into the air. The Lunge allowed the player to gain iframes through the incoming attack and then punish the attacker with a devastating blow. It was difficult to tell if he actually iframed or not as no health bars were shown on the screen and the player was not staggered during the enemy’s swing.

And sold.

One important thing to note here is that enemies can use Skills and Stances just like the player.

Oh wow, this sounds awesome. Sounds like they are trying to step up combat in a big way because of Bloodborne.

Wait no agility?!? Yessssss.

No one really asked if "Well what is it" is back?!

Ive seen it mentioned somewhere that 420praiseIt has returned.

I love kick for PVE, but the guard break with a specific critical move was very nice for PVP.

Oh well, whatever. It's still early. Bloodborne also had the kick in the early builds, who knows what we'll get.

Theres a guard break like weapon art attack but its not riposte-able anymore, just give you time for a free extra hit.

Top Bottom