• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III TRC Patch Notes (inc. PS4 Pro patch)

Freeman76

This is FROM, no way will it be a smooth patch that makes it run like butter. As much as they make delightful games they cant make them run well for shit lol

Rien

Jelly Belly
1080p 60fps is definitely possible on PRO with DS3, with boosts to graphics as well...I hope they also include a 4k 30fps mode.....

I think as well. Look at HZD and the way it perfom. I know ds3 is multi plat but there is def more possible then just a small bump in framerate.... i think

Manu

• Improved motion of normal attack for Ultra Greatswords, Great Hammers and Curved Great Swords.
• Decreased stamina depletion when attacking using Ultra Greatswords, Great Hammers, and Greataxes.
• Improved the Bleed build-up of Blood infusions.

YAAAAAAY

EDIT: Of course there are 100 posts about the Pro patch and like 3 about the patch notes.

Lots of people getting excited when

1) uncapped/variable framerate is actually very annoying
2) DkS3 is a PVP-focused game and having it uncapped now is leaning towards giving Pro users an advantage, unless it's capped as soon as you get invaded or something

Gojeran

My PC can't even keep ds3 at a stable 60 fps due to engine streaming issues I assume. There is no way this is a stable 60 on pro. Also rip bleed builds and I'd just made a new Anri SS character a few days ago for the dlc. Oh well I have several other characters I can use and my favorite is my Greatsword character who seems to be getting buffed.

WGMBY

Fuuuck, completely forgot this was coming. I still need to finish the first DLC, but I'm currently ass deep in both Horizon and Nier right now. I may need to put those on hold so I can finish up Dark Souls while there's a lot of people to co-op/pvp with.

Based on your intimate knowledge of the code? What a baseless assumption.
based on this:
In any case, what does all of this mean? Well, for one, that if you have any recent i5 or i7 Intel desktop CPU, you need not worry about maintaining a 30 FPS minimum on the CPU side in Dark Souls 3. It also means that getting a truly consistent 60 FPS is much harder: throughout most of the game, it requires 4 cores at high-end desktop CPU speeds, and in a few areas it might prove impossible on any standard system. Overclocking a brand new i7-6700K may help bump up your minimum framerate in the game's most CPU-bound areas, but likely won't guarantee a locked 60 FPS.
http://www.pcgamer.com/durantes-dark-souls-3-port-analysis/
but go off!

convo

1080p 60fps is definitely possible on PRO with DS3, with boosts to graphics as well...I hope they also include a 4k 30fps mode.....
You are asuming that can happen with the current engine on PS4? I have dreams of From porting their games to the Decima engine too, but those are still just dreams and this game is stuck with what it has.
They can improve with their next game releases, but DS3 is mostly staying the way it is on consoles with some slight improvements on Pro.

Ferr986

I think as well. Look at HZD and the way it perfom. I know ds3 is multi plat but there is def more possible then just a small bump in framerate.... i think

Different teams, different engines....

YAAAAAAY

EDIT: Of course there are 100 posts about the Pro patch and like 3 about the patch notes.

There's not much for me in this patch, but I'm a dirty DEX or Pyro player so it's not like I had much problems lol

There's a version with a 4k 60FPS mode ;)

You mean the version i can't play from my couch with a controller?
Yeah... No thanks...
;)

I'll have to try a heavy build now that they buffed heavy weapons. The nerfed poise med it unattractive to go full heavy with no shield.

convo

You guys are about to get rekt if it's an unlocked framerate. Really hoping that isn't the case.

If it's possible to botch their way to 60 fps despite the evidence against it with Durante's article above then it would be a paranormal activity.

Ferr986

Some new stuff that was missing in the notes

Added a function to check how many available hosts there are in each area for matching in the warp menu.

Increased the Attack Power of the Dagger weapon class, and decreased the critical power so that the overal damage of criticals doesn't change.

Improved the Bleed build-up of Blood infusions. Reduced Bleed build-up of weapons not infused with Blood.

Improved the Poison build-up of Poison infusions.

Along with improving the correction values for Heavy and Sharp, decreased the correction values for Refined (nothing about Hollow here).

Note: For those who don't know, correction values are multipliers added to the weapon's uninfused stats to get the infused values.

Extended time during which you can move when using the miracles Gnaw, Dorhys' Gnawing and Wrath of the Gods.

Increased the damage of Poison and Toxic dealt by players, and shortened its duration.

Durante

To be fair:
Update: Durante’s tests were performed on version 1.01 of Dark Souls 3. A recent, pre-release patch (1.03) eliminates the bizarre framerate drops seemingly isolated to a specific late game area. Using my game complete save file, I revisited the most taxing areas of the game that previously caused framerate fluctuations, and found them to stay at 60 fps without issue throughout. Durante's original write-up of the CPU performance is below. — James Davenport
It's not such a big deal to get 60 FPS on PC now. Of course, the CPUs we are talking about for that are still more than twice as fast as the PS4 (Pro), especially sequentially.

LordOfChaos

From a GPU perspective. From a CPU perspective that's only the case if the regular PS4s CPU was sitting twiddling its thumbs a lot of the time, as it's only ~20% faster.

cakely

Oh, nice. I wonder how much affect it will have?

Probably just a locked 30fps and shorter loading times I'd guess.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I would treat HZD as an anomaly. Guerrilla made some pact with the devil or something lol

I think thats correct Hahah.

Another noob question..

If i understand correctly than the framerate of this engine is CPU based which isnt that strong in this gen of consoles right?
While the framerate in for example HZD is GPU based (correct me if wrong) and is buttersmooth.. like nearly all them exclusives.
Then why doesnt FROM choose for a more GPU friendly engine so all consoles and PC can benefit a stable framerate?
Does this require a total new build?

Please if i am totally wrong can somebody explain it to me? Thanx

thelastword

Banned
I think this engine can handle 60fps on the PRO at 1080p, perhaps even checkerboarding 1620p or plain 1440p can yield close to 60fps as well, for the most part.....

the cpu is highly unlikely to be able to handle 60fps in ds3.
The CPU handled SOTFS just fine on base PS4, the clock boosts in pro boost mode ironed out the small dips (when technical analysts purposefully run away from huge crowds of npc's/enemies to stress the CPU). Are you telling me that if From opens up the code and focuses on a patch for DS3 with the full capacity of PRO hardware that it won't hit 60fps at FHD?

I really believe some are underestimating the console CPU's, but I've made that point more than enough times here. If there ever was a game that had heavy use of drawcalls is NMS, it is doing quite fine at 1080p 60fps.....

You are asuming that can happen with the current engine on PS4? I have dreams of From porting their games to the Decima engine too, but those are still just dreams and this game is stuck with what it has.
They can improve with their next game releases, but DS3 is mostly staying the way it is on consoles with some slight improvements on Pro.
Well they said better framerate. I guess at the end of the day it's how much time they put into optimization. From games are technically not always the best in every technical aspect. They don't always push the hardware and optimize as best as they can, but I can guarantee you their games can run better than what they put out most of the time. Their first Dark Souls port to PC was not the best either... It's also just like BB, I can tell you that that game can run just fine on base PS4 hardware at 30fps without frametime issues, but From do struggle with some technical issues. Personally I just hope they do a commendable job here...

From a GPU perspective. From a CPU perspective that's only the case if the regular PS4s CPU was sitting twiddling its thumbs a lot of the time, as it's only ~20% faster.
How much more CPU heavy is DS3 from SOTFS? I've seen many games go from 40fps to 60fps with lots of A.I with just the faster clock sans any optimization work....Assetto Corsa with lots of cars, a big uplift in Project Cars in boost mode, a 60fps 1080p in probably the biggest and most dynamic openworld game in NMS....Even a game like the Division maintains a locked 30fps as an intensive CPU game on consoles...

Lets not focus only on the CPU, the GPU will boost DS3 quite a bit on the PRO, but the CPU is more than enough to handle DS3's A.I, drawcalls and enemy count whilst stabilizing framerate at 1080p 60fps....

I'm glad UGS and some of the infusions will get some buffs, but I doubt anything will ever change the fact that in PVE, straight swords are just better than anything. Super light, fast, and good damage. The recovery after attacking also makes it much easier to avoid damage in boss fights. Everything is viable...but, yeah.

yume_2501

30 fps locked at best, if it's 60 the better for us but i don't think will be 60 fps honestly. Anyway i m playing on pro in boost mode on 1080p tv and it runs better already

AmyS

My experience playing Bloodborne and Dark Souls III on PS4 Pro using Boost Mode last week:

Noticeably smoother framerates with both games.

It was neither a huge difference, nor a tiny difference, but significant enough to make me think they both play somewhat more smoothly.

I am strictly talking frame rate, not frame pacing.

Anybody with a similar impression?

Murkas

Improved attack power for Curved Greatswords.
Improved motion of normal attack for Ultra Greatswords, Great Hammers and Curved Great Swords.

latest

Can't wait.

Careful everyone, don't get too hyped and keep your expectations at ease.

The patch note just says 'increased frame rate for gameplay on PlayStation®4 Pro.' it doesn't explicitly state 60 fps gameplay.

It would be great if it could run at a locked 60 fps though.

Top Bottom