• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon II |OT| Ruin has come to our forum

Bartski

Gold Member
Have you tried the latest changes to gamepad controls? Curious.
Not yet. I'll likely stick to PC for kingdoms and further, but like I said if the deck is a good indication of how it feels on the pad it's already fine. Except for some buggy inventory navigation but that seems like an easy fix.
I recall DD1 was night and day with K&M due to ways highlighting and showing exact values of some key parameters was a pain in the ass on the controller, here the general UI is much more controller friendly.
That being said, K&M is still king on this one, but I'm happy my team blue friends can finally enjoy this amazing game. And a very difficult one if you're going for the plat. I know it very well by now so if you need any tips just hit me up. Good luck!

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
dd2-modding-ontheway-1080.jpg

Hello everyone!

We’re happy to announce that PC modding support for Darkest Dungeon II is nearing its first deployment. Modding has been an instrumental part of the Darkest Dungeon community for many years, and it's something that we have been passionate about supporting with Darkest Dungeon II for some time.

The reality is that with DD2’s adoption of a new engine, modding and mod support has required quite a bit more complicated work to enable, as compared to the first game.

Our plan is therefore to release mod support in incremental stages, with each update building upon the last. We believe getting access to some modding capabilities sooner is better than waiting for a fully finished modding experience that would take significantly longer to deliver. This staged work will allow our team to receive feedback that will help determine direction of future mod support initiatives, while also allowing us to balance the effort to our other key releases coming later this year, specifically consoles and Kingdoms!

With that in mind, we are hoping to release our first PC modding update sometime before the end of June. (We will let you know if this timeline changes.) This first update will tackle the initial mod loading/overwriting logic and Steam workshop integration. These core capabilities will enable modders to edit any of the exposed .csv files (which contain the vast majority of numerical gameplay values) and then structure those changes as Steam workshop packages. Content-wise, it will be possible to create custom items from scratch (trinkets, combat items, inn items, stagecoach equipment) and also new hero palettes.

Red Hook is interested in extending mod capabilities all the way to enabling the creation of custom characters, and we plan to work closely with our modding community to develop the necessary tools. It will simply take some time to get there.

2024 is shaping up to be a really exciting year for Darkest Dungeon II, and we can’t wait to experience it with you! Stay tuned, we’ll be dropping more details on this modding update closer to release.

Zheph

I quite enjoy DDII and the new changes it comes with. It might work better on consoles as well because the first one is a chore on it imo.

I got the early access that was exclusive to Epic Store, I wonder if mods will be as easy to get on it.

Bartski

Gold Member
dd2-modding-ontheway-1080.jpg

Hello everyone!

We’re happy to announce that PC modding support for Darkest Dungeon II is nearing its first deployment. Modding has been an instrumental part of the Darkest Dungeon community for many years, and it's something that we have been passionate about supporting with Darkest Dungeon II for some time.

The reality is that with DD2’s adoption of a new engine, modding and mod support has required quite a bit more complicated work to enable, as compared to the first game.

Our plan is therefore to release mod support in incremental stages, with each update building upon the last. We believe getting access to some modding capabilities sooner is better than waiting for a fully finished modding experience that would take significantly longer to deliver. This staged work will allow our team to receive feedback that will help determine direction of future mod support initiatives, while also allowing us to balance the effort to our other key releases coming later this year, specifically consoles and Kingdoms!

With that in mind, we are hoping to release our first PC modding update sometime before the end of June. (We will let you know if this timeline changes.) This first update will tackle the initial mod loading/overwriting logic and Steam workshop integration. These core capabilities will enable modders to edit any of the exposed .csv files (which contain the vast majority of numerical gameplay values) and then structure those changes as Steam workshop packages. Content-wise, it will be possible to create custom items from scratch (trinkets, combat items, inn items, stagecoach equipment) and also new hero palettes.

Red Hook is interested in extending mod capabilities all the way to enabling the creation of custom characters, and we plan to work closely with our modding community to develop the necessary tools. It will simply take some time to get there.

2024 is shaping up to be a really exciting year for Darkest Dungeon II, and we can’t wait to experience it with you! Stay tuned, we’ll be dropping more details on this modding update closer to release.

Very interesting. I imagine modding in a character must be orders of magnitude more complex than throwing a bunch of sprites together in DD1... One of the very few games I'm actually playing on PC so I'll be all over this

Bartski

Gold Member
I quite enjoy DDII and the new changes it comes with. It might work better on consoles as well because the first one is a chore on it imo.

I got the early access that was exclusive to Epic Store, I wonder if mods will be as easy to get on it.
I did play tons of early access as well, game has gone a long way and the next update is looking sick... I loved DD1 but I never finished it, one of the very few games I find legit too punishing. Perhaps one day...

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I wonder if mods will be as easy to get on it.
Very interesting. I imagine modding in a character must be orders of magnitude more complex than throwing a bunch of sprites together in DD1... One of the very few games I'm actually playing on PC so I'll be all over this

It could also help them with future iterations or development for other games as to take inspiration from what the community will modify. Always cool to see something like this being integrated from the developers side.

I mostly wonder if we will get access to modifications on consoles. Not to develop any but to play them as it is overall very uncommon. Teardown featured mods on release for consoles and added more after with patches. GSC is also looking to do the same with a patch for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R Legend of the Zone Edition later this year where PC developed mods will be available on consoles. There is hope, i don't expect any, fingers crossed.

Bartski

Gold Member
I have Darkest Dungeon 1 in my Steam Library but never really played it. Is DD2 a worthy successor or should i just play DD1?
it's a completely different game so it all depends what you're looking for. Both are great but DD2 is a roguelite and way less taxing than DD1 where you can be on a 30h + long run and fail it by chance.

amigastar

it's a completely different game so it all depends what you're looking for. Both are great but DD2 is a roguelite and way less taxing than DD1 where you can be on a 30h + long run and fail it by chance.
Really? Did not think that. I thought it was a continuation of the first game. Well it's probably good they differ so much, different flavours.

Top Bottom