• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part II Remastered Announced + Trailer. Release Slated for January 2024

Elysium44

Banned
There are no loading times in the last of us part 2 on ps4.

edit: well i guess that's not literally true. but it it's pretty good about it, except when you're loading a save or something.

So the long loading times even on SSD were a figment of my imagination? Or do you mean if I hadn't skipped the millions of cutscenes and instead watched them that the game would have loaded during them, and thus 'no loading times'?

Moses85

Nintendo is on another level. They can fuck up as much as they want and do greedy corpo shit all the time. People will always smile it off and say "Yeah, that's my Nintendo".

Probably the result of 200IQ branding skills that go way over my head.
Aha, Ninty sells emulated games for full price with zero additional content (Mario Pack)

DrFigs

So the long loading times even on SSD were a figment of my imagination? Or do you mean if I hadn't skipped the millions of cutscenes and instead watched them that the game would have loaded during them, and thus 'no loading times'?
yeah i mean i don't know how you played the game. for sure if you skipped the cutscenes, you would get loading screens.

Last edited:

Shrap

Alright, so now we have 3 year old games getting remasters. Hopefully with naughty dog's next game they can get it down to a year between original release and remaster.

Elysium44

Banned
yeah i mean i don't know how you played the game. for sure if you skipped the cutscenes, you would get loading screens.

Watched some on the first playthrough, skipped others. Subsequent playthroughs I skip everything. If you google, complaints about loading times are common so it isn't just me. Also apparently (I can't verify) the original TLOU2 when played on PS5 doesn't load any quicker than on PS4, something which this 'remaster' hopefully somehow improves.

Resident Evil 1 was called a remaster when they started releasing the HD version
Because it is a remaster of a 4:3 480p videogame to a widescreen 16:9 1080p, with higher resolution textures, shadows and pre-rendered backgrounds, a lot of which had to be reworked by hand. You know, because they were originally created in 480p?

It has what, 24GB install size, compared to the original released on 1 single-layer DVD?
Yeah, Capcom dared to call a spade a spade. Anything else?
Seems like the issue is you just like to complain.
Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I dont think TLOU2R is the problem. 10 bucks for an improved version is great.
The problem is ND not releasing anything besides another TLOU game.

They better hurry up releasing a new title.
TLOU 2 came out 3 year ago. They are working on a new game. How tf do people not understand that? lmao

GOW 2018 -> Ragnarok took 4+ years. nothing in between.

ND's new game will probably be out in 2025, and they will have given us 2 remasters and a potential MP game in between to hold us over.

TLOU 2 came out 3 year ago. They are working on a new game. How tf do people not understand that? lmao

ND's new game will probably be out in 2025, and they will have given us 2 remasters and a potential MP game in between to hold us over.
Yeah people are behaving like Naughty Dog's last game came out in 2015 and the studio barely exists or something.

Forbidden West came out in 2017...its sequel? 2022. That's 5 years in development for a sequel.

Naughty Dog planned to announce Factions this year. That's 3 years after their last game, with a remake also done by them along the way and now a remaster as well. If Factions wasn't announced it's not even because of Naughty Dog...it's because Bungie didn't agree with the way the game was being monetized. And if the game eventually gets canceled, that's also not on Naughty Dog's talent.

We may get another game by 2025, but if Factions is canceled, we won't for sure.

Whitecrow

Banned

Well, Insomniac launched Spiderman in 2018, Miles morales in 2020, R&C in 2021 and Spiderman2 in 2023. All new games.

In that period, the only new thing ND released was TLOU2 in 2020.
Until now, we have
Uncharted 4&5 Remasters
TLOU1 Remaster Remaster
TLOU2 Remaster

Excuse us if we complain about ND releasing ONE SINGLE NEW GAME in 5 years.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Well, Insomniac launched Spiderman in 2018, Miles morales in 2020, R&C in 2021 and Spiderman2 in 2023. All new games.

Until now, we have
Uncharted 4&5 Remasters
TLOU1 Remaster Remaster
TLOU2 Remaster

How many of those games are on the same scale, scope, length, QUALITY of TLOU2? Not a single one of them. Not even close.

ND makes Generation defining games that get talked about for a decade after release.

Insomniac makes..Ratchet and Clank.

I will wait for the generation defining game. Insomniac can squeeze out as many games as they like.

The fact of the matter is, releasing remasters of old games, working on an MP game ALL WHILE working on a new original game that is guaranteed to be a damn masterpiece is excellent output.

ulantan

Until now, we have
Uncharted 4&5 Remasters
TLOU1 Remaster Remaster
TLOU2 Remaster

If you held the entire industry to insomniacs production rate the entire industry is failing.

They're doing such a terrible job with those comparison shots. How about instead of perfect looking cutscene close-ups pick a place where the ps4 game has clear LOD issues, like next to the supermarket in ch1 or on the island. That I'd love to see.
There is a ton of this and when you play ND games as much as I do you will always start to notice the cracks.

This is one reason why they put some much film grain in these game snow, Spiderman 2 as well, it hides LOD loading at further distances.

In the section where you play as Abby heading into Chinatown, there are clear LOD glitches on background buildings. The lower res textures are noticeable too. It'll be interesting to see if they catch that.

Until now, we have
Uncharted 4&5 Remasters
TLOU1 Remaster Remaster
TLOU2 Remaster

Why would you complain about this though? This is well known at this point and it's why ND games are so critically acclaimed.

Do you really think they can make a game with real looking water in under that time? I can't be the only one that notices how detailed their games are with interactable puddles, waterfalls and foliage. It's actually insane.

6 years probably isn't even enough for them.

ripjoel

there already was boar hunting

maxresdefault.jpg

Bartski

Gold Member
There is a ton of this and when you play ND games as much as I do you will always start to notice the cracks.

This is one reason why they put some much film grain in these game snow, Spiderman 2 as well, it hides LOD loading at further distances.

In the section where you play as Abby heading into Chinatown, there are clear LOD glitches on background buildings. The lower res textures are noticeable too. It'll be interesting to see if they catch that.
There is also a ton if geometry spawning and despawning in view, call it culling bugs but it’s all over part 1 as well. I really hope they take it seriously this time

Markio128

I honestly don’t see the negatives with this upgrade. It includes bells and whistles, plus a new mode and 3 lost levels. I’d pay £10 for a few top PS4 games to be upgraded tbh, even if it was just the bells and whistles, RDR2 being one example.

I just get the feeling that those complaining have a hate boner for all things ND related.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Because it is a remaster of a 4:3 480p videogame to a widescreen 16:9 1080p, with higher resolution textures, shadows and pre-rendered backgrounds, a lot of which had to be reworked by hand. You know, because they were originally created in 480p?

It has what, 24GB install size, compared to the original released on 1 single-layer DVD?
Yeah, Capcom dared to call a spade a spade. Anything else?

No, the original was rendered at 16:9
The original cut-scenes were rendered at 16:9 at the time of production, in a bordered format as they were output by the Wii and GameCube. Fortunately, this format works out perfectly for the remaster, and each cut-scene now simply fills a widescreen space on PS4 - with nothing cropped, or lost in the transition. In truth, these video sequences aren't as crisp as the in-game backdrops, but they still link in seamlessly with the in-game action. It's also a telling sign of how diligently Capcom's archived this source material, after the project had drawn to a close.

The pre-rendered backgrounds were upscaled and simply reworked minor things in the background such as background text.

You're simply just coming up with any excuse not to be wrong. First, you tried to tell me they weren't really remasters and now you're trying to say, "Yeah, they're a remaster" while being wrong in the process.

RE1,4,5, and 6 were called remasters after you tried to say that they weren't.

cormack12

Gold Member
I honestly don’t see the negatives with this upgrade. It includes bells and whistles, plus a new mode and 3 lost levels. I’d pay £10 for a few top PS4 games to be upgraded tbh, even if it was just the bells and whistles, RDR2 being one example.

I just get the feeling that those complaining have a hate boner for all things ND related.

Yeah given the content, £10 is fair but I still think they should provide the 4k/60 as a free patch too.

This thread is making me want to play 2 again, but probably worth waiting now. Whens it out? January?

tommib

Yeah given the content, £10 is fair but I still think they should provide the 4k/60 as a free patch too.

This thread is making me want to play 2 again, but probably worth waiting now. Whens it out? January?
It’s already 1440p/60. I doubt the native 4K will run at 60fps. Part 1 with 4K unlocked VRR runs around 40fps.

Last edited:

"The original cut-scenes were rendered at 16:9"
You even reading what you're posting?
The pre-rendered backgrounds were upscaled and simply reworked minor things in the background such as background text.
Literally a video up there proving you wrong, and it's the first one that came up on google. There was a whole video with dev commentary in Japanese talking in more detail about what they changed, but I don't remember where it's from.
You're just throwing shit at the wall at this point. Piss off.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You even reading what you're posting?
You're not even reading, you didn't even bother quoting the other part where I talk specifically about the backgrounds that were upscaled.

I said the backgrounds were upscaled and the only 16:9 ratio was original.

Literally a video up there proving you wrong, and it's the first one that came up on google. There was a whole video with dev commentary in Japanese talking in more detail about what they changed, but I don't remember where it's from.
You're just throwing shit at the wall at this point. Piss off.

There isn't. I'm posting evidence.

We've taken an initial look at the PS4 version and the new edition is looking good. The Zero remaster is largely based on the 4:3 aspect ratio backgrounds used in the 2002 GameCube release. To hit the spec of a 16:9 presentation here, Capcom resorts to panning the camera up and down, dependent on character movement. It's a smart approach and one that's adjusted on a scene-by-scene basis, giving the benefits of a full widescreen experience while still showing the entirety of the original background art. Ultimately this is the best way around the problem, and the scrolling effect doesn't distract. For purists though, a 4:3 aspect ratio mode is still included.

You tried to say it was re-rendered when they just simply used a panning effect. They were just upscaled

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FYI, for RE Zero specifically, they did more than just simply up-scaling backgrounds. That was done with REmake because Capcom did not have the original assets, hence its 'remastering' is considerably worse than Zero's.

Lots of assets, not just text elements, got significant boosts. The games were also ported to MT Framework engine, which allowed them to enhance the lighting, shadows and fire effects etc where needed.

MlEoaIN.png

JIA85oo.png

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
FYI, for RE Zero specifically, they did more than just simply up-scaling backgrounds. That was done with REmake because Capcom did not have the original assets, hence its 'remastering' is considerably worse than Zero's.

Lots of assets, not just text elements, got significant boosts. The games were also ported to MT Framework engine, which allowed them to enhance the lighting, shadows and fire effects etc where needed.

The game doesn't have a lot of assets to adjust outside of the pre-rendered backdrop. Rendering the assets above the backdrop is a given since they're just rendered at a higher resolution.

This video shows the 3D environment once the backdrop is removed. A ray-traced global illumination shader on this improves the visuals of Resident Evil HD Remake.

Adjusting the lighting and shadows would be rather simple, which comes with porting the game onto a console with better GPU/CPU power.

This is not to say that this was a lazy remaster, it's just how generally remasters work.

There isn't. I'm posting evidence.
And evidently watching and reading none of it yourself. Cuz fuck evidence, you've got a narrative to push.
I said the backgrounds were upscaled and the only 16:9 ratio was original.
Nah, bad faith loser, you said this:
Literally your evidence:
The Zero remaster is largely based on the 4:3 aspect ratio backgrounds used in the 2002 GameCube release.
If you knew anything about it, you would know that RE4, RE1R and RE0 came out back in CRT TV era.
That means 4:3 ratio as far as eye can see, dumbass.
You tried to say it was re-rendered
Never said they were re-rendered in entirety, but all transparency layers had to be re-rendered by neccesity. While you trivialize it with "herp derp upscale and pan".
And now you're pivoting from the move to a new engine and fully re-made assets.
Get outta here, for real.

Until now, we have
Uncharted 4&5 Remasters
TLOU1 Remaster Remaster
TLOU2 Remaster

Imsomniac used same assets for all 3 games. Spider-man 2018, Mile Morales, Spider-man 2. Only update texture overall. I'll give them that mediocre R&C.

If Naughty Dog ever want to reused same assets to makes a new game they could put out games as fast as Imsomniac.

Last edited:
I own and beat the first game on PS4, but never bothered with the second one due to the drama surrounding it at the time. I think I'll pick up Part 1 & 2 on PS5 together when it comes out.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
My comment was deleted due to conspiracy theories even though people have been doing exactly the same thing on this thread.

Not surprised that my comments are getting deleted (pic as reference). I guess it's funny knowing the reason behind it. Reading this comment before deleting it is good enough for me. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

fv44uOb.png

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I own and beat the first game on PS4, but never bothered with the second one due to the drama surrounding it at the time. I think I'll pick up Part 1 & 2 on PS5 together when it comes out.

Do it 😉

I played TLOU2 for the first time back in February '23 when I got my PS5 and God damn, drama aside (didn't give 2 fooks personally) it's one of the most competent and technically proficient games I've ever played, the animations and attention to detail are really something else...I'm not the biggest ND fan out there but this game, damn, it's light years ahead of the 1st one when it comes to the general combat flow, options, A.I and immersion.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Don’t understand the complaints. loU2 came out 3 years ago. The original LoU got a remaster the very next year on the ps4 after the ps3 version.

PlayStation 4 was not backwards compatible with PlayStation 3. Releasing a 'remaster' was the only way to get that game working on the new generation of hardware. So it was an easier pill to swallow.

vivftp

PlayStation 4 was not backwards compatible with PlayStation 3. Releasing a 'remaster' was the only way to get that game working on the new generation of hardware. So it was an easier pill to swallow.

TLOU2 is not on PC and we all know that a PC variant is coming with this remastered version of the game. There, does that make it easier to swallow?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
TLOU2 is not on PC and we all know that a PC variant is coming with this remastered version of the game. There, does that make it easier to swallow?

I don't really care. Cool if it comes to PC. No big deal if it won't. He asked, I replied with a decent reason.

Top Bottom