• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#DarkSoulsDowngrade and #YOULIED \\ a.k.a You got some splainin' to do, Namco

Grief.exe

I think it just comes from a vastly different perspective. I feel like most super super hardcore people who live/breath this stuff just know it deep in their bones to literally never trust anything anybody says about a game until its installed your own actual harddrive. And even then a patch could come along and change your favorite feature. Its an irreconcilable difference in perception that definitely breeds contempt.

huehuehue

Xyljhmn.png

UnrealEck

I've been playing the game on PS3 and I can say that the torch stonces are still around various areas. Actually quite a lot of them in the game. The thing is, on PS3 you don't need to light them as it's easy enough to see around. With that said, I'm sure that if people wanted the dark mechanic back in the game, it's going to be modifiable to change how dark the dull areas are. That is of course if it's not already still in the PC version.

As for the general look of the game, it's clear this game will look a lot better with just a resolution bump. The geometry, textures, shadows all look like they will benefit from just an increase in resolution.

Alright. I know the PS4 version is inevitable, and the PC will be modded to match if needed. I feel really, really scammed paying $64 for this yesterday. I'm trading it in ant best buy as they are offering $38 in-store credit and I don't do ebay.

I really hope they get some sort of message out of this, but I'm really just trying to reconcile right now. I love the gameplay but I have wayyyyyyyyyyy too many games to play to play a shit version of this game right now.

:(

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
A PS4 version with all the bells and whistles of the original footage and in 1080p @60 FPS? I'd buy that for a dollar. Hell, I'd buy it for 60 dollars.

I'm just glad I saw the original downgrade thread before I paid my pre-order off in full (now I have 5 dollars store credit I can use on Infamous). Fuck a bullet, I dodged a missile on that one. Thank you based GAF. This website does what "journalists" in this industry have no integrity to do. <3

VertPin

So uh, is the enemy despawn a bug? I hope it is. I really loved the challenge of the first game, and it is still present here...but enemies not coming back after killing them an x amount of times is really lame. Oh, and having the warp function from the start is kind of lame too, it kills a lot of the sense of traveling.
_____
I really love the game though. I will know if I like it better than DaS1 once I beat it. :D

Havel

So uh, is the enemy despawn a bug? I hope it is. I really loved the challenge of the first game, and it is still present here...but enemies not coming back after killing them an x amount of times is really lame. Oh, and having the warp function from the start is kind of lame too, it kills a lot of the sense of traveling.
_____
I really love the game though. I will know if I like it better than DaS1 once I beat it. :D

It isn't a bug. But, there is
an item which makes them respawn and puts them on NG+ difficulty values.

nded

I thought the despawn was there to keep people from farming/make you feel bad for being inadequate.

I mean, if you watch gameplay videos where dynamic lighting is present, you see a frame rate drop.

Not to hard to extrapolate why they toned down the torch necessity last minute. Requiring people to take a frame rate hit in order to progress is just bad design.

This is a good point, but I think it would be pretty weird and jarring for the pc version to play any differently because of changed lighting. Honestly I hope the textures and effects are improved but I'm not even sorta expecting/holding out hope for those incredibly dark areas to return.

EatChildren, one thing I have noticed after following all this quite extensively is there are three distinct versions of Dark Souls 2 that have been shown to the public.

The vertical slice is just that, a vertical slice of gameplay that was created to show off the game. It has completely different geometry and textures from the other two versions, but has the same lighting effects and darkness mechanic that we see in the PC version.
Its obvious that From did use assets and general level design from this vertical slice for the final PC and console versions though.

The PC version is identical to the console retail version in geometry and textures, but with a few exceptions. Higher resolution/frame rate, high-resolution textures, more particle effects, better lighting, and the darkness mechanic.

My hypothesis, From wasn't lying when they said that the PC was lead platform and the engine was developed for PC/next-gen.
All of these graphical effects and features were stripped from the PC version for performance reasons on consoles. From needs the extra 6 weeks to finalize all the extra effects for the PC version.
Its also a win/win for Bandai as they will secure the key 'double-dipper' demographic for the PC version as it is considerably better in performance and graphical effects.

If you are interested, I posted a more in-depth analysis here.

Screenshots taken from the PC trailer:
http://i2.minus.com/idQf74JSP5NiF.jpg

Alternatively, the PC version shown in the TGS trailer is also a vertical slice. The level layout, enemy placement and environment texturing are the same as the PS3 TGS build.

ivzoHRmuRuHvB.gif

Are people still defending this shit? This is so fucking wrong...

That was exactly my reaction when I first saw the downgrades in a livestream.

Lucent

I've been playing the game on PS3 and I can say that the torch stonces are still around various areas. Actually quite a lot of them in the game. The thing is, on PS3 you don't need to light them as it's easy enough to see around. With that said, I'm sure that if people wanted the dark mechanic back in the game, it's going to be modifiable to change how dark the dull areas are. That is of course if it's not already still in the PC version.

As for the general look of the game, it's clear this game will look a lot better with just a resolution bump. The geometry, textures, shadows all look like they will benefit from just an increase in resolution.

Have you been to
The Gutter
yet? With the screen brightness adjusted properly (campfire visible and dragon invisible), even with all the sconces lit along the way, I still had a hard time seeing very far ahead of me without a torch out. There are places that are still pretty freak'n dark unless you max out your brightness.

I can see what people mean about some enemies that would normally be hidden if the place was as dark as intended, but yeah. The game still looks pretty awesome when you do light up a torch. The shadows before the middle build looked a little too erratic to me.

The other lighting effects, like we saw in the area with the big dragon skeleton and the hallway that was supposed to have a lot of pictures, and the bridge that was supposed to be surrounded by dragons, yeah the lack of those is disappointing. But I don't feel like I would've dodged a bullet if I missed out on the game. I'm liking it (despite some annoying areas).

If they do somehow reintroduce the features on PS4, I'll double dip for that.

Alright. I know the PS4 version is inevitable, and the PC will be modded to match if needed. I feel really, really scammed paying $64 for this yesterday. I'm trading it in ant best buy as they are offering $38 in-store credit and I don't do ebay.

I really hope they get some sort of message out of this, but I'm really just trying to reconcile right now. I love the gameplay but I have wayyyyyyyyyyy too many games to play to play a shit version of this game right now.

I thimk you are letting the negativety get to you. I don't think I've seen many people call it a shit version. There is still plenty of fun too be had without without fancy lighting.

Lucent

I thimk you are letting the negativety get to you. I don't think I've seen many people call it a shit version. There is still plenty of fun too be had without without fancy lighting.

Yeah this. I seriously don't think this looks any worse than the first Dark Souls. I don't remember the original having any crazy lighting. So if you can't play it because you think it looks bad because it doesn't have all the lighting features, how did you play the other Dark Souls?

Don't get me wrong, NamcoBandai/From Software should've made it more clear that the game changed in terms of lighting from the previous builds, but I just think depriving yourself of a Souls game is going a bit far.

justjim89

I'm pretty glad they downgraded stuff. If it looked as good as the demo, no way my laptop would be able to run it. Then again there's no real promises of pc optimization for low end machines anyway, but I could run Dark Souls alright and this doesn't look much better.

sirap

I'm pretty glad they downgraded stuff. If it looked as good as the demo, no way my laptop would be able to run it. Then again there's no real promises of pc optimization for low end machines anyway.

I played DS on my old ass Intel HD 3000, got a solid 20fps at 720p. Your laptop will probably run it fine.

If I were in a game drought I'd put up with it. But I'm not, and that GIF is what got to me. I see Dark souls 1 in example 1 (not exactly, but way closer than the final build), I see shit in the other. Can't unsee. Other people's opinions do not matter to me at all. It's the comparison that did it. Booting the game and finding a crappy framerate all over the place didn't help either :/

Kingduqc

Banned

I don't get why you guys think the ps4 version is "Inevitable" Don't hold on to that. The PS4 base is low(barely 6 million) and the game is quite niche. They already stated many times they had no plans to release on next gen too on just about any interview.

Best thing for you is to sell your copy for 38$ and buy it on pc for 40$ ready to play april 25th.

Lucent

If I were in a game drought I'd put up with it. But I'm not, and that GIF is what got to me. I see Dark souls 1 in example 1 (not exactly, but way closer than the final build), I see shit in the other. Can't unsee. Other people's opinions do not matter to me at all. It's the comparison that did it. Booting the game and finding a crappy framerate all over the place didn't help either :/

Dark Souls 1 had that kind of amazing lighting? Didn't notice that my whole playthrough.

And I don't know if you get a messed up copy or something or if your eyes are used to something, but the framerate looks fine for me. I don't really notice any kind of slowdown or anything. And I actually stop and go "okay, that looks pretty nice" when I light bonfires in some areas or light torches and walk through areas.

I just don't see the PS4 version (if it happens) coming any time soon and I've been waiting for this for a long time. There aren't really any games like it so drought or no I needed to play it. lol

I was on media blackout pretty much (hence my ignorance about all this) so I didn't know they were strongly denying a next gen version. PC version looks like all I can hope for.

Could we get some DS1/DS2 comparisons? I really do feel like I remember that we had much better lighting in the first game, something that could at least rival what they had shown in their earlier builds.

I haven't made it past character creation, I literally took 30 minutes
getting from where you first take control, to the character creation spot
. But just walking around in the first area you get extreme framerate drops.
Try walking away from the house exactly from the point of your 'landing spot'

Also, not sure if it's been mentioned, but Forbes (as well as other publications) put out an article on it, and is linking to this thread for the comparison.

soontroll

Banned
I love lighting up areas as I progress. it just changes the atmosphere a little bit and is optional, which IMO is far preferable to pitch black areas that people in this thread are for some reason disappointed not to have.

No, people want the dark areas that you can then light up. That's the whole point.

Lucent

I was on media blackout pretty much (hence my ignorance about all this) so I didn't know they were strongly denying a next gen version. PC version looks like all I can hope for.

Could we get some DS1/DS2 comparisons? I really do feel like I remember that we had much better lighting in the first game, something that could at least rival what they had shown in their earlier builds.

I haven't made it past character creation, I literally took 30 minutes
getting from where you first take control, to the character creation spot
. But just walking around in the first area you get extreme framerate drops.
Try walking away from the house right from the point of your 'landing spot'

Yeah I just didn't notice any framerate drops that really affected me. I've been in areas where I'd get ganged up on and hadn't had any drops that affected my ability to fight them clearly. Maybe they're there but I just don't see them. Or they're split second that it just doesn't do anything to me.

There seem to be big framerate, sound issues and loading time differences between disc and digital versions of the game from what I've reead.

I wouldn't be surprised. There was a big difference in loading between digital and physical for The Last of Us. Felt like it took 5 minutes to do the initial load for me with the disc. People with digital said it loaded in seconds.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Wasn't the gamey thing letting them respawn in the first place? Was that explained in the lore?

I think it's assumed that the wave of healing magic that explodes from a bonfire also regenerates the enemies within range of the bonfire. It's how the visual effect is stylized. Save a few special mobs that die forever.

Having enemies eventually extinct is more gamey in this sense, but I got the idea it's for balance reasons. You only have to deal with enemies for a reasonable amount of time, by then you should have mastered them.

Though it would have been cool if, after they extinct, you find their lifeless bodies wherever they were supposed to be standing. As if the bonfire finally stopped healing them.

Wolfe

I love lighting up areas as I progress. it just changes the atmosphere a little bit and is optional, which IMO is far preferable to pitch black areas that people in this thread are for some reason disappointed not to have.

That's the whole point, the fact that it's now optional takes away from the mechanic. I'm not denying that it doesn't look cool but the fact that you can see better in some cases before you light the torches is kind of telling. I don't know if I would have wanted things to be quite as dark as they were initially but the small light given off by the player is more than adequate in my opinion. The fact that you can now see enemies at the complete opposite end of a dark unlit hallway takes away from the games atmosphere for me personally (the gif that keeps getting posted of the character by the stationary torch opening the door and going down the stairs, that's the exact example I'm talking about.)

Hell I even adjusted the brightness slider a bit lower than necessary when I started the game the first time since I knew of this change and I still found it to be too well lit in darker areas.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
I was going to hold out on this game for the pc version as in my opinion ps3/xb360 are on their way out of my living room. Now I'm starting to be very afraid for the final version of the pc version...

Amir0x

Banned
Thanks Bamelin for doing what you can.

I just never would have imagined I would be here with a Dark Souls game. They totally ruined a game release that I could not have anticipated harder if I tried. Fuck, they're going to have to work hard to regain my trust after this if the PC version is not what they promised :(

RK9039

Thanks Bamelin for doing what you can.

I just never would have imagined I would be here with a Dark Souls game. They totally ruined a game release that I could not have anticipated harder if I tried. Fuck, they're going to have to work hard to regain my trust after this if the PC version is not what they promised :(

Feeling exactly the same right now.

My personal takeaway from this is that gamers should stop buying games at launch. It encourages publishers to pull shit like this, or to release unfinisked games (bf4), etc.

Lucent

My personal takeaway from this is that gamers should stop buying games at launch. It encourages publishers to pull shit like this, or to release unfinisked games (bf4), etc.

I saw the streams and stuff and I still bought it at launch. The whole torch mechanic just isn't that big of a deal to me. Still have to deal with it in some places, like The Gutter. That place needs the torch.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm guessing Bamelin is an important guy?

He's part of the PlayStation MVP team. I mean I don't think Bamelin can actually get SCEA to do anything, but if he can at least point them in the direction of the thread, you never know what might happen. But in any event, I think it's important everyone is on the same page regarding what is going on here. This is fucked up by any measure, so I'm glad he's going to show them.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Will this station be ignored from pretty much all video game sites and by all journalists if it was a game from "hate-able" publishers like UBi, EA, Activision? I don't want to bring GB guys tweets again and again but to me it's pretty clear that Journalists ignoring this because it's treating From/Souls series as a sacred idol is apparently a thing right now when the fact is this huge downgrade, this deceptive is in same level as Aliens: Colonial Marines and way worse than Watch Dogs yet with it got zero media attention.

Top Bottom