• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#DarkSoulsDowngrade and #YOULIED \\ a.k.a You got some splainin' to do, Namco

jaosobno

If you ask me, this is what's going to happen next:

1. Namco issues bullshit statement about downgrade (statement should happen next week).

2. PC version looks very similar to PS3/X360 versions overall. Differences are higher framerate, ability to choose resolution and perhaps a bit nicer textures, but there is no trace of pretty lighting.

3. Few months down the line, Namco releases Dark Souls 2 - Ultimate/Definitive/Whatever Edition for PS4 and XO which features, lo and behold, old lighting system.

4. Fans double dip.

5. Namco CEO smiles while he counts money.

Blinck

i3i2R2WWxhYry.gif

Holy shit.

I wan't really offended before, but after this GIF....WHAT THE FLYING GODDAMN FUCK ?!?

1. Namco issues bullshit statement about downgrade (statement should happen next week).

2. PC version looks very similar to PS3/X360 versions overall. Differences are higher framerate, ability to choose resolution and perhaps a bit nicer textures, but there is no trace of pretty lighting.

3. Few months down the line, Namco releases Dark Souls 2 - Ultimate/Definitive/Whatever Edition for PS4 and XO which features, lo and behold, old lighting system.

4. Fans double dip.

This is what's gonna happen.

I can feel it.

Gbraga

I'm reading Vaati's twitter every now and then, and I really appreciate him replying to people concerned about those things (even though he has no definitive answer to give), but I have to say I feel a bit sorry for the guy. He's not a reviewer, and yet people keep spamming him like it was his job to tell us this kind of thing. He just makes content for the series he loves. He may have worked with Namco for this game, but his love for the series come way before that.

Now, I completely agree that it sucks to have "loving fans of the series" coming here to say they don't care about the downgrade, but it's the other way around, he's not bothering anyone, he's just enjoying his stuff.

I don't know why I went on about this, just thought I should share.

That video needs to be debunked. It never dips below 60 FPS. That's a fucking PC

I share this opinion too. No way in hell this is the PS3 version.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi

4. Fans double dip.

Yup. Sounds about right to me.

Only thanks to GAF-Journalism I didn't get swindled and taken advantage of and wont have to double dip.

Can't wait for the PlayStation 4 version of this game, promptly titled "Dark Souls 2: As Advertised Edition"

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I think this is just bs. This can't be PS3 footage, it runs a lot better than retail code.
I can assure you that those older shots and media were taken from ps3 not PC.

Nope. They've demoed the game on ps3. I've played it on a regular ps3 (not a devkit) looking just like the first video. I played it myself and the console was just sitting on a table (system menu fully accessible). No smoke and mirrors bullshit.

I don't think they've ever shown the PC version, to be honest. Seemed to be entirely ps3.

it was running on PS3 at some point before the downgrade.

4. Fans double dip.

Seeing a graphically better version on next gen consoles wouldn't bother me only if it's based on the PC version which was vastly superior to the console one or the PC version would get a free update bringing it up to par. I can buy that the game couldn't look this good on current gen consoles or the it could but run really poorly and think their mistake was showing the game looking very different from the retail build. The PC version is what will tell the story here.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore

4. Fans double dip.

Was thinking exactly that... looks like I m holding until I see some pc reviews/footage comments from neogaf users!

Not trying to start anything here, but is it possible the better looking version couldn't fit on an XBox360 DVD so they downgraded both versions? Can anyone tell us the size of the 360 version?
Probably bullshit but the thought crossed my mind for a second since dark10x said it was definitely running like that on PS3...

Gbraga

Nah, look at the door, is like the TGS demo (PS3 build).

The door isn't a downgrade though, just a change, I've seen one of those reveal doors in the Giant Bomb Quick Look if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know, I may very well be wrong, but I honestly don't think this can be the PS3 version.

As well as tweeting bamco/From, people should really send this to the same advertising standards guys who got developers over the use of CGI footage used in adverts back in 2006

Loxley

I'm not one to really care about graphics, and initially figured this whole thing was just a bit of ol' GAF hyperbole. But holy crap, that is one hell of a noticeable downgrade o_O The fact that they were clearly perpetuating PC footage as console game play is particularly devious.

bidguy

Banned

4. Fans double dip.

im fucking disappointed by the stunt they pulled but i would definitely buy a next gen version without hesitation

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Hyperbithero made a comparison with reveal and the retail game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbT03r_9Zo

yes the downgrade is insane. more people need to see this.

What's worse is that they ran that demo as "PS3" about 6 weeks before the game launched =\

This. From knew they are downgrading the game months and months before yet kept fooling all fans and journalists continue to hype their new game as if it was going to be like the first version, it's just unacceptable.

Yeah that video looks beautiful.

This runs ALOT smoother than the final PS3 version. What gives?

Thats gross I want a response to tthis.

I think this is just bs. This can't be PS3 footage, it runs a lot better than retail code.

goddamn this makes me furious.

fuckthisshit

Two things that impress me the most in that video are the reflective greatsword and the shadows that look like they're dancing as you fight. Beautiful.

Keep in mind this was posted onto the Playstation Access youtube Channel.

Hypron

That looks exactly like Dark Souls 1 to me. The downgrade here, to me, is from DS1 to DS2, not even considering the old revealed footage. That's depressing. makes me think after getting through new game plus on DS2 for the gameplay experience, that unless the gameplay is truly improved, I'll always go to DS1 for my fix.

It doesn't look like Dark Souls 1. The final version of DS2 looks better than DS1. It got downgraded from the initial footage shown, but this footage looked way above and beyond DS1.

Gbraga

I understand that, but downsampled shots from PS3 games are posted by Sony channels all the time.

Sony can lie too. Or be lied to as well if they were misled to believe that was PS3.

Again, I may very well be wrong. But I honestly can't see the game looking like that and running like that on PS3. No way.

I'd love to be wrong though (or hate to depending on your perspective).

I understand that, but downsampled shots from PS3 games are posted by Sony channels all the time.

Sony can lie too. Or be lied to as well if they were misled to believe that was PS3.

Again, I may very well be wrong. But I honestly can't see the game looking like that and running like that on PS3. No way.

I'd love to be wrong though (or hate to depending on your perspective).

Oh I think that's the PC version. Personally. seeing as the game already runs poorly on the console without the lighting I'm not sure how they would get it looking and running that well on PS3 then suddenly decide to remove it for no reason.

Vizzeh

Banned
I wonder if this is PS4 footage shown? Is it not somewhat normal for PC-Footage to be shown as the lead graphical showcase for a game on cross-platform.

What is missing is a disclaimer. They should be held accountable.

I am NEARLY tempted to get this for the PS3, but really want to wait for a PS4 version, game looks utterly unbelievable (yes in the good version graphically) But also gameplay/depth/animations...

I hope if anything this forces them to come clean about future versions of the game :) - I would sooner buy this on PS3 if I knew I would have to wait a year for PS4 version then double dip for it again, more likely to wait without a date lol.

soontroll

Banned
I wonder if this is PS4 footage shown? Is it not somewhat normal for PC-Footage to be shown as the lead graphical showcase for a game on cross-platform.

I am NEARLY tempted to get this for the PS3, but really want to wait for a PS4 version, game looks utterly unbelievable (yes in the good version graphically) But also gameplay/depth/animations...

I hope if anything this forces them to come clean about future versions of the game :) - I would sooner buy this on PS3 if I knew I would have to wait a year for PS4 version then double dip for it again, more likely to wait without a date lol.

You will be waiting for a long time I reckon. 6 million install base + not mainstream game = no incentive to port just yet.

It doesn't look like Dark Souls 1. The final version of DS2 looks better than DS1. It got downgraded from the initial footage shown, but this footage looked way above and beyond DS1.

You're right, I tried to find some comparison shots, and DS1 is nowhere near that. The great lighting in DS1 was always in smaller more enclosed areas with much less geometry.

But it should be noted that DS1 looks a ton better than the version of DS2 out on retail right now

This isn't the PS4 version if one is coming I doubt it's even being worked on as the PC version isn't out yet. If it ever does come out it will probably be based on the PC version since it would be pretty easy to port over.

Why is all the negativity in this thread directed at Namco and not From Software? Hilarious. Clearly nobody wants to disparage the favoured developer

Horp

Sorry there is no way that was running on PS3. No way in hell.

The environment is small
There are very few characters on the screen
The HUD is very simple
There are no real complex shaders (like tesselation or displacement)
The particle effects are well done but nothing especially complex
There aren't any complex physics
The video is so low quality that it is hard to tell if the textures are high res or not. Could be quite low res overall.

The only thing demanding is the lighting, and even there there's no GI going on or anything, and there are very few dynamic light sources at one time.

If Last of Us can run on PS3, this most definitely can.

Gbraga

at 720 30fps obviously.
lol
I have the high quality 1080p 60fps download. Nothing on there looks something the PS3/360 can't handle at 720p 30fps.

Even the Durante-quality AO implementation?

Why is all the negativity in this thread directed at Namco and not From Software? Hilarious. Clearly nobody wants to disparage the favoured developer

Isn't the publisher the one who promotes the game though?

Amir0x

Banned
What's worse is that they ran that demo as "PS3" about 6 weeks before the game launched =\

Fucking yeah I know, it's why I'm furious. I actually took to twitter now, as feeble as that is, to take swings at anyone I can over this. This fucking shit is bonkers. I cannot believe how deceptive they were in marketing this game.

Top Bottom