• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Fincher offers an update on the DRAGON TATTOO sequels

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://thefilmstage.com/news/david-...-tattoo-sequels-talks-structure-of-gone-girl/

As quoted by Afton Bladet, however, Fincher seems hopeful that there will be at least one more film in the series. Here are his words, re-translated into English by Google’s bots.

"I think because it [Sony] already has spent millions of dollars on the rights and the script so it will result in something. The script that we now have a huge potential, I can reveal as much as it is extremely different from the book."

I don’t think Fincher would be shy about calling the project stone cold dead if that’s what he believed. Indeed, I can’t quite believe he’d be shy about anything. Perhaps he’s just wrong.

Should the film happen, one problem that Fincher cited would be scheduling around Daniel Craig and the Bond series. I dare say Rooney Mara has a much more busy calendar these days too.

That first movie... Jesus Christ. I had to stop about 30 minutes in. One of the most boring things I've ever seen. Does it get better later on? I couldn't believe how limp and inert it was.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
That first movie... Jesus Christ. I had to stop about 30 minutes in. One of the most boring things I've ever seen. Does it get better later on? I couldn't believe how limp and inert it was.

The movie doesn't really pick up until about half way through, most of the intro is exposition.

shira

I think you just missed the
multiple graphic rape and rape-revenge scenes

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Great news, I loved the first, extremely well crafted and with amazing atmosphere. I was hooked the whole time, glad they're making more

I wouldn't mind if they just condensed Hornet's Nest & Fire into one film, to be honest. Most of the conspiracy stuff in the last book is a bit of a slog to read - and I don't see it translating into a standalone film.

At this point I wonder if we'll get the mythical 4th and 5th Millenium books before we get Fincher's TGWPWF.

Blame it on the wack novels. The further this series deviates from them the better I imagine

Because dragon tattoo has got great direction and music from fincher/reznor and the leads were good. But it still felt underwhelming to me because I just wasn't feeling the script

What is wrong with you? THAT was one of the most boring things you've ever seen? I envy you. I thought it did a great job of slowly building these characters before all the shit went down. Really loved the pace and time spent developing them.

1390846234957.jpg

What? Were you asleep during it? Haha.

Some stories require exposition so that the middle and ending pay-off. The movie would have been garbage if it just tossed all character development out the window. You missed out on a great movie.

Never read the books. Saw the Swedish version after Fincher's version. There was nothing confusing.

I doubt anyone will give a shit about the franchise in 2017 or whenever this finally comes out. Fincher should just make some more jean ads.

shira

What is wrong with you? THAT was one of the most boring things you've ever seen? I envy you. I thought it did a great job of slowly building these characters before all the shit went down. Really loved the pace and time spent developing them.

Wait did you read the books before watching the movie? If you didn't read the books that entire setup phase was kind of confusing.

I'd rather he ditch this series and make other stuff. I don't want him tied to any trilogy tbh (unless it's just one part of them)

I wasn't confused. It was just really really dull. Daniel Craig looking glum while sitting in his apartment. Daniel Craig looking glum and being told he's lost a court case. Daniel Craig looking glum while traveling out to Chris Plummer's place. Chris Plummer tells some flashback story. Looking glum. Lots of glum expressions.

Not saying the whole movie's like that (Because how could I know?). But that introduction is fantastically disinterested in providing any sort of entertainment.

KaiserBecks

Love the first film (haven't seen the swedish trilogy, but I might if the fincher sequel really deviates a lot). For some reason, I find it to be the perfect movie for a cold sunday morning.
Actually wanted to watch it again the other day but decided to wait at least another month or two. I think Rooney Mara recently said that she still hopes there'll be a sequel. I hope Daniel Craig is positive as well.

Hows the buzz regarding Fincher's new film (Gone Girl?)? It's supposed to be in theaters soon, isn't it?

TTG

The script being "extremely different" is a good thing, I'm sorry to say book 2 and 3 are relatively bad. First order of business differentiating is under no circumstances should she be turned into an action star.

I wasn't confused. It was just really really dull. Daniel Craig looking glum while sitting in his apartment. Daniel Craig looking glum and being told he's lost a court case. Daniel Craig looking glum while traveling out to Chris Plummer's place. Chris Plummer tells some flashback story. Looking glum. Lots of glum expressions.

Not saying the whole movie's like that (Because how could I know?). But that introduction is fantastically disinterested in providing any sort of entertainment.

Damn, you must hate Taxi Driver.

Siegcram

I liked the Fincher one much more than the finished trilogy, but I don't see this happening.

For one because of the mentioned schedule conflicts for the leads, but also the hype for the Millenium books has pretty much died down completely. And we've just seen with Sin City 2 how much it can impact a movie if it's delayed unnecessarily.

Didn't care about the movie much, but the soundtrack was divine, and so was the trailer.

Incredible trailer. Best since Miami vice/superman returns

I realized the more memorable trailers either have good monologues or great use of music

Just showing clips of the film isn't that great

rude

Banned
Rooney should've won the Oscar; not that those awards really mean anything. Easily the best in her category that year. And this adaptation was much better than the Swedish one.

Ceebs

These movies seem like a waste of his time. The books were not great to begin with, and the movie was pretty disposable.

These movies seem like a waste of his time. The books were not great to begin with, and the movie was pretty disposable.

If I'm being completely honest, I'd rather he do another Dragon Tattoo film than finally do the 20, 000 Leagues film, which I have a big feeling would end up being another Benjamin Button-type good-but-not-great disappointment.

Farmboy

The first one, while certainly competent, was just a huge waste of Finchers talent and time... and this was supposedly based on the 'good book' of the trilogy. Just let it die and have Fincher move on to more promising stuff.

Damn, you must hate Taxi Driver.

Never seen it, I'm afraid.

But yeah, I was incredibly disappointed. I think David Fincher has delivered cinematic brilliance on quite a few occasions. Seven and Zodiac being the most noteworthy. So I was really jazzed to see him return to the whole serial killer milieu with Girl. Didn't expect to be checking my watch 20 minutes in.

I thought about this the other day. Good to hear that it's not completely dead, like most people thought it was. Even better if Fincher, Craig, and Mara are involved.

The Swedish movie is like the cliffnotes, watered-down version of the story Fincher tells, only told with less creativity and style.

When I watched the movie in theater I thought it was just okay. Then I watched it on blu-ray and started to really appreciate what Fincher did.

Wouldn't mind a sequel. Liked the first one up till the last 20 or so mins. Once the main plot ends it goes on forever setting up a sequel. I thought it hurt it as a stand alone movie but as set up it isn't so bad.

linsivvi

Not sure if "extremely different from the book" is something I want.

That's the most boring thing you have seen? You must only watch movies with car chases and explosions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom