• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Fincher offers an update on the DRAGON TATTOO sequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus.

I honestly enjoyed the movie despite it's slower pace. I really hope they all can come together to make the sequel.

LOL @ Her being a 'slow' movie. Not being an action blockbuster doesn't make your film a slow one. Neither does screen-time being centered on one character. Her was my favourite film of last year, but it's definitely not slow.

I fear for you the day you discover Italian neorealism.

I really enjoyed Fincher's version despite being a fan of the original, which seems like a rare occurrence for me and remakes. Hope they get made.

LOL @ Her being a 'slow' movie. Not being an action blockbuster doesn't make your film a slow one. Neither does screen-time being centered on one character. Her was my favourite film of last year, but it's definitely not slow.

Yeah, evolution and development via dialogue or subtle nuances still counts.

Tugatrix

That first movie... Jesus Christ. I had to stop about 30 minutes in. One of the most boring things I've ever seen. Does it get better later on? I couldn't believe how limp and inert it was.

Build up do you know what it means? I fell sorry for you, you miss all the craziness that ensure.

The Swedish films really just turn into medicore plot summaries of the books.

Noomi >>>>> Rooney though.

Noomi-Rapace.jpg

Mmmmh.

Dany

Banned
The second and third swedish films are bad. The second and third books are not as good as the first.

So....good luck.

Akahige

I'd love for this to happen, enjoyed the first one and drastically different from the book sounds great, the 2nd book has pretty cartoony moment s throughout.

Pedrito

I really like the first book and the movie, mostly because of the creepy atmosphere of the island and the relatively interesting murder mystery.

Having just finished the second book, I'm not sure I want a sequel though. Nothing much happens at all and there's no mystery. Maybe it picks up in the third. But if the script is really different from the books, maybe they can do something interesting with the characters.

Tugatrix

Buildup can still be interesting, though. Back to the Future. Inception. Even Fincher's own Se7en.

Girl's buildup was sleep-inducing.

How so? I didn't find it sleep-inducing at all, the character was very well laid by Mara and the script, her life is very shitty and she live her life like a sleepwalking until some things set her off, to know what you should see the movie.

Um, you do know that things are relative, right? He was referring to movies with car chases and explosions. In comparison to those sorts of movies, Her is indeed slow. Obviously, if you're comparing it to Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or 2001, it's not a slow movie.

Because that doesn't give me confidence that they'll portray the characters or events justly.

It doesn't give you confidence that the books you admit are garbage are being largely ignored? You're worried because they're not going to be faithful to the garbage that made you skeptical about sequel adaptations in the first place?

Dany pls.

Nakho

The script being "extremely different" is a good thing, I'm sorry to say book 2 and 3 are relatively bad. First order of business differentiating is under no circumstances should she be turned into an action star.

This. Lisbeth as a ninja punk hacker super-heroine, and Mikael as lazy ass moron that still somehow gets every single tail is completely stupid. Blonde pain-insensitive Terminator shold be scrapped too.

Didn't know there were any plans for the sequels. I hope he means it when he says the script is extremely different. I loved the first book but my god, the second and third were the most boring things I've ever read. I couldn't even finish the third one because I kept falling asleep reading it.

I wasn't a big fan of the first movie (haven't read the books, haven't seen the Swedish adaptations), but I genuinely liked the rapport between Craig and Mara. Wouldn't mind seeing that developed more in sequels.

Edit: Oh, and it had a fantastic trailer, but I guess that's common with Fincher films.

Dany

Banned
It doesn't give you confidence that the books you admit are garbage are being largely ignored? You're worried because they're not going to be faithful to the garbage that made you skeptical about sequel adaptations in the first place?

Dany pls.

Heh. I'm just not yearning for two more movies, even if they're different that the books. There are massive events and story beats that I hope aren't being removed from the script.

jtb

Banned

Dany pls.

you know in your heart that you would rather Fincher be working on that Sorkin Jobs biopic than trying to salvage two godawful books in a sequel to a movie that wasn't even that good in the first place

you know in your heart that you would rather Fincher be working on that Sorkin Jobs biopic than trying to salvage two godawful books in a sequel to a movie that wasn't even that good in the first place

It's in Danny Boyle's hands now, so I'm not worried about that film so long as Boyle pulls his finger out of his ass after that shit Trance. Hopefully he was just distracted by the thought of having Rosario Dawson jump his old bones and that's now out of his system.

megamerican

Normally a big fan of Fincher, but his version was an absolute bore. I think mainly due to Craig turning in one of the most lethargic performances I've seen.

I think the ship has sailed on this series anyway, even the 2011 movie might have been too late.

Akahige

It's in Danny Boyle's hands now, so I'm not worried about that film so long as Boyle pulls his finger out of his ass after that shit Trance. Hopefully he was just distracted by the thought of having Rosario Dawson jump his old bones and that's now out of his system.
Shit Boyle's doing that movie, must have blocked out the memory due to sadness, I was hoping he wasn't just fucking around with the T2 talk he was spouting.

It is worrying seeing as how nauseating his style got in the rock climber movie

I hope he dials everything back

iuxion

I agree with Roger Ebert when he said he was just being James Bond again. The Swedish dude was convincing as a hack reporter. Craig was just squinting and being Mr. Martini.

Craig's performance was quite different from his take on Bond, even if he looks largely the same and didn't change his accent. Can't comment on Nyqvist since I haven't seen the Swedish version, but it doesn't surprise me to hear that he was also effective in the same role.

sestrugen

Book 2 and 3 can be condensed into one movie, even if its 150-180 minutes long. They need to remove some of the minor plot lines.

The first movie was really good, even compared to the Swedish version.

Dead

well not really...yet
Book 2 and 3 can be condensed into one movie, even if its 150-180 minutes long. They need to remove some of the minor plot lines.

The first movie was really good, even compared to the Swedish version.
I'd say it was better.

The mood, atmosphere, cinematography, Rooney Mara all elevated the shit out of that store.

plus dat intro

also a better ending

jtb

Banned
It is worrying seeing as how nauseating his style got in the rock climber movie

I hope he dials everything back

isn't Sorkin's script supposed to take place in 3 keynote speeches or something? love boyle but that just makes me even more worried for it. he's been shaky since Slumdog.

DOWN

Banned
isn't Sorkin's script supposed to take place in 3 keynote speeches or something? love boyle but that just makes me even more worried for it. he's been shaky since Slumdog.

Ugh. Sorkin writes in that style where everyone's lines are the comebacks that real people think of ten minutes after real conversations and they are recited so fast on screen that it becomes distractingly obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom