• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Fincher offers an update on the DRAGON TATTOO sequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneils

I wasn't confused. It was just really really dull. Daniel Craig looking glum while sitting in his apartment. Daniel Craig looking glum and being told he's lost a court case. Daniel Craig looking glum while traveling out to Chris Plummer's place. Chris Plummer tells some flashback story. Looking glum. Lots of glum expressions.

Not saying the whole movie's like that (Because how could I know?). But that introduction is fantastically disinterested in providing any sort of entertainment.

Never seen it, I'm afraid.

But yeah, I was incredibly disappointed. I think David Fincher has delivered cinematic brilliance on quite a few occasions. Seven and Zodiac being the most noteworthy. So I was really jazzed to see him return to the whole serial killer milieu with Girl. Didn't expect to be checking my watch 20 minutes in.

Wasn't Zodiac just two hours of Gylenhaal looking glum. I mean, that's pretty much what it was. :p

DOWN

Banned
2.5 hours actually

glum gyllenhaal is perfect formula for a great movie, worked for Prisoners too

YES. Another great movie. Leave Fincher and Gyllenhaal alone people!

Millennium, the Swedish TV series was better and the Swedish movies trilogy was made from parts of that TV series.

So it's better to watch the 6 part version than the 3 movie version because the movies are re-edits of the series?

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
the second and third Swedish movies were horrendously bad. Presumably the books they were based on were equally as bad so I don't see why everyone's clamoring for American remakes.

DOWN

Banned
the second and third Swedish movies were horrendously bad. Presumably the books they were based on were equally as bad so I don't see why everyone's clamoring for American remakes.

Because we know American cinema has more money so at least the production value will be visually impeccable like the first one and we also know that they want Rooney Mara to be big in it so they are making that script very different from the source.

The Swedish films really just turn into medicore plot summaries of the books.

Noomi >>>>> Rooney though.

Noomi-Rapace.jpg

Mmmmh.

No. Never. Not even close.

question - what was the point of the rape scene and the following related scene? seemed wholly unrelated to the plot. its not like it was required in order to show that rooney would be convinced to hunt down a killer of women. she would have been more than willing to hunt down a killer of women anyway.

Turin

Banned
I'd like to see Rooney Mara and Noomi Rapace co-star in a movie. Both are excellent.

Layer Cake is overrated tripe and Defiance is even worse.

Watch Munich instead. Munich Craig is baller Craig.

I don't recall anyone really raving about Layer Cake(I've never seen any reviews though) so I wouldn't say it's overrated. Just an okay movie.

Daniel Craig's performance in the first movie is underrated.

I know. He showed some ego control as well and helped elevate Mara's excellent performance into the spotlight. They complimented each other very well.

Another good Craig performance was in Road to Perdition where he plays this unsettling sociopathic man-child.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wait did you read the books before watching the movie? If you didn't read the books that entire setup phase was kind of confusing.

Uh... no it isn't? And I say that as someone that hasn't read the books but seen both the US and original Sweedish movie(s).

Prototype said:
Feels like it's been too long at this point.

I agree. What has taken so long outside of Craig's Bond obligations? They have two books to mine, FFS.

Noomi > Rooney

I did feel that the US version got the visual look right though. I'd be happy to see the sequel, maybe after the fourth (ghost written) book gets published next year.

Dishwalla

Banned
question - what was the point of the rape scene and the following related scene? seemed wholly unrelated to the plot. its not like it was required in order to show that rooney would be convinced to hunt down a killer of women. she would have been more than willing to hunt down a killer of women anyway.

It gave her her freedom back, more or less, after Bjurman systematically took it away from her when he became her guardian.

DOWN

Banned
Noomi > Rooney

I did feel that the US version got the visual look right though. I'd be happy to see the sequel, maybe after the fourth (ghost written) book gets published next year.
What do you mean ghost written? I thought the original author had finished another? Or is there nothing final and his partner was going to finish it up with her knowledge of the work?

DOWN

Banned
probably due to the fact the movie didn't perform as good as they hoped at the BO

Somebody had the brave idea to try out a hard R remake using a Christmas marketing and release. Nobody takes their family to hard R movies as willingly during the holidays, especially with the rape buzz it got (my family is all about twisted dark stuff so of course we went). Sony said they already know they would handle the release differently.

Ratrat

?

I've watched Zodiac many times. It's my second favorite Fincher movie, slightly behind Se7en.
I thought it was really slow and wasn't interesting till an hour in. Dragon Tattoo is incredibly stylish and violent with memorable characters. Compared to the book, it felt pared down.

Decado

Somebody had the brave idea to try out a hard R remake using a Christmas marketing and release. Nobody takes their family to hard R movies as willingly during the holidays, especially with the rape buzz it got (my family is all about twisted dark stuff so of course we went). Sony said they already know they would handle the release differently.
Django did just fine.

Anyway, I do hope there is a sequel and I have no problem with them making adjustments. The sequels to the foreign film kinda sucked.

DOWN

Banned
Django did just fine.

Anyway, I do hope there is a sequel and I have no problem with them making adjustments. The sequels to the foreign film kinda sucked.

Django benefitted from Tarantino's name reaching a new peak thanks to his previous film being the summer hit Inglourious Basterds and having Oscar buzz all over it. I don't think Fincher's name carries the same in the mainstream and it was largely talked about as being a remake of Swedish movies and being extreme with rape. Django had bigger American stars and was culturally praised for what many thought was a necessarily stinging depiction of slavery mixed with an action film.

I just don't think Tarantino compares well to others I guess. But maybe there's better comparisons.

Blader

It's in Danny Boyle's hands now, so I'm not worried about that film so long as Boyle pulls his finger out of his ass after that shit Trance. Hopefully he was just distracted by the thought of having Rosario Dawson jump his old bones and that's now out of his system.

Trance was one of the worst things I've seen in years.

I agree with Roger Ebert when he said he was just being James Bond again. The Swedish dude was convincing as a hack reporter. Craig was just squinting and being Mr. Martini.

I think that does Craig's performance a disservice, he portrayed someone far more vulnerable and less confident than Bond. Just because he's still kind of smarmy doesn't mean it's Bond redux.

Axial

I've watched the swedish version once and it left me unimpressed. As for Fincher's rendition of the novel, I've heard alot of negatives about it but only recently had the chance to actually watch it and was surprised how good it was. Fincher seems like a very smart filmmaker and his work is always very detailed, very methodical and well made even if based on stupid scripts. Simple story aside this film is a well directed character driven piece. Rooney's and Craig's performances were both believable and intriguing to watch supported by excellent cinematography and sound design. Especially the visual presentation of the very bleak, drab swedish winter setting perfectly set the mood and build up the tension for the whole thing. Also this is one of these movies where alot of cg effects were used and you hardly ever notice it. Can't wait for the sequel.

Akahige

Speaking of Fincher, holy fuck the Utopia remake is going to be hard to top the original, just finished the 2nd series.

DOWN

Banned
I've watched the swedish version once and it left me unimpressed. As for Fincher's rendition of the novel, I've heard alot of negatives about it but only recently had the chance to actually watch it and was surprised how good it was. Fincher seems like a very smart filmmaker and his work is always very detailed, very methodical and well made even if based on stupid scripts. Simple story aside this film is a well directed character driven piece. Rooney's and Craig's performances were both believable and intriguing to watch supported by excellent cinematography and sound design. Especially the visual presentation of the very bleak, drab swedish winter setting perfectly set the mood and build up the tension for the whole thing. Also this is one of these movies where alot of cg effects were used and you hardly ever notice it. Can't wait for the sequel.

Yeah they did a great job with subtle CG. I didn't catch a large number of the effects being CG instead of practical.

Kisaya

Gimmmmiiieeeee

Kinda glad it'll be different from the books. As long as it isn't horrible, I'll be willing to have something new.

DOWN

Banned
I don't even care to check out the books or original movies but Fincher's vision has me hungering for a sequel.

I normally read books before movies, but I have a rule with Fincher project's that his always come first. So sorry to the Swedish films and books, but I may never see them as long as I have hope for a Fincher sequel.

I'm doing it for Gone Girl too.

Sai-kun

Banned
omfg, i'd cry if a sequel came out. this is one of my favorite movies ever. Love the books to death, but wouldn't mind if the new movies deviated away from them.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Drastic changes make me happy. Second book is somewhat alright, but there is no way to do the third without changing almost everything. The third book is just atrocious, truly one of the worst declines in quality I have ever witnessed. Turning it into even a sorta decent movie is impossible, but making enough huge changes so that it doesn't suck swollen donkey dicks means changing the second one as well. Which hopefully is what Fincher means.

Turin

Banned
I thought Rooney's version was a little scarier which I liked.

Hopefully Fincher plays around with the source material similar to what Bryan Fuller is doing with Hannibal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom