• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone details, No Multiplayer, Dynamic day/night cycle, plus more

Stiler

I thought it looked like fun, but like State of Decay it boggles my mind why they'd go with zero mulitplayer. Especially since they showed off the playing with another npc, it would just seem like a perfect fit for at least two player co op a la Dead Island/Dead Rising, etc.

Fury451

Banned
Shame about the no multiplayer part, gsmeplay seemed to fit the formula.

Hopefully it's strong narratively.

Potentially. Maybe this is a dry run kind of situation, sort of like State of Decay.

Field test it, get the gameplay functionality features in there, and then follow up with multiplayer in a sequel.

Co-op would ideally be very cool, even if it's just 2 player.

Zukkoyaki

Seems like Sony has a lot of confidence in this game and are giving Bend all the time they need. Hopefully they deliver, they're a talented studio with a great track record and I'd hate to see them fumble their big coming out party.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm surprised a Sony first party is using UE4 of all things, they usually have their own propriety engines, I wonder why?

There are two notable benefits:

1.) This game seems to have a lot of gameplay functionality that a middleware engine trying to support every different type of game will already have built in. Like, the God of War engine probably doesn't support vehicle physics out of the box. You might need underwater rendering. You might need building construction. Bend doesn't have an existing engine they've been building for a long time to iteratively put this functionality in, so this is a major shortcut for them.

2.) They're working directly with Epic on a lot of enhancements to the engine to fit their needs, which ultimately flow back into the engine, and make it better for every other game that uses Unreal Engine 4, which is obviously something Sony would want given the amount of PS4 games using the engine. Just look at Unity 5 on PS4 for an example of the type of thing that they don't want.

Similarly, Sony has a new studio in the UK using Unreal Engine 4 for VR, which has the same two benefits, but more VR minded.

I just showed the gameplay demo to my bro and he instantly said Sons of Anarchy meets World War Z.

Can't wait to see more of this from Bend.

Tigress

OMG, that sounds awesome! And I'm all for single player focus. Haven't found it's all that fun playing with people anyways (I don't know many people who game so for me it's playing with randoms which in my limited experience is just people calling each other names a lot and trolling each other. But maybe that's just the GTA crowd ;) ).

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, this is going to step out from the shadows of The Last of Us comparisons. It is just doing too much that is different.

Unknown?

This is bends first real AAA console game I believe or at least in a real long time(can't remember which) so it makes sense

Not since Syphon Filter 3. Man the horde of zombies really impressed me. People say it's like TLOU but not really at all. That's like saying Tales of Xillia 2 is like The Witcher.

HvySky

The game's initial reveal really turned me off of it, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm always up for having my expectations subverted!

Blueingreen

UE4 is a good engine with amazing support from what's been said and using it probably means less work/investment?

makes sense especially in regards to investment, however it's almost surreal that a Sony first party is using UE, could you imagine this last gen ? to my knowledge UE3 ran like dog shit on the PS3, it's no wonder they probably avoided it like the plague.

There are two notable benefits:

1.) This game seems to have a lot of gameplay functionality that a middleware engine trying to support every different type of game will already have built in. Like, the God of War engine probably doesn't support vehicle physics out of the box. You might need underwater rendering. You might need building construction. Bend doesn't have an existing engine they've been building for a long time to iteratively put this functionality in, so this is a major shortcut for them.

2.) They're working directly with Epic on a lot of enhancements to the engine to fit their needs, which ultimately flow back into the engine, and make it better for every other game that uses Unreal Engine 4, which is obviously something Sony would want given the amount of PS4 games using the engine. Just look at Unity 5 on PS4 for an example of the type of thing that they don't want.

Similarly, Sony has a new studio in the UK using Unreal Engine 4 for VR, which has the same two benefits, but more VR minded.

Very informative response, I applaud you.

jjonez18

Hmm like what I hear. Still just another zombie game in my eyes. They've got some real work to do in order to stand out on my list of must haves.

FelipeMGM

Just watched basically the same interview on PlayStation Live Coverage, they said they do have an idea of launch window, but arent talking about it right now.

Sid Shuman who was hosting the interview said ''he was sure we will hear more about Days Gone in the coming days of E3''

The second time I watched the trailer w/o stream pixelation and really paid attention I saw how big the horde really was and how environment destruction might work into things.

I'm also guessing the sheer numbers mean it's a game of spatial navigation and deciding when to hold your ground, rather than finite ammo hoarding and resource management. Probably reloading is your main concern. So it'll be more like a light gun game in that regard. I like that potential for arcadeyness to set it apart.

I'm also really hoping there's some serious Road Rash + Mega Herd stuff going on... oh man.

I agree that the sound and visual feedback for guns could use work.

Like the sound of all of this apart from the no multiplayer, doing the whole explore area then do a fetch mission in that area always gets boring after the story ends, doing it with 1 or 2 people extends game life significantly for me, it feels like you're surviving and scavenging as the last few people on earth, instead of just solo get this item for random AI faction who doesn't do anything. Will probably pick this up and have fun with it until the story ends, but I can see myself playing State of Decay 2 long term, shame because I loved the WWZ horde.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
That sounds great but it makes the demo seem worse, I don't think it accurately conveyed the "craft your way out of a situation using tools" that seems to be a big focus. It was basically run and shoot red barrels
He shoots all of two barrels in the demo. Meanwhile he forages for resources more than once, finds an oil filter to use as a silencer, uses the environment to create obstacles a couple of times, not including the damn barrels. It's not exactly a long demo so I don't know what more you expect them to do with limited time. There's plenty there to see the potential the game has for doing more than just running around shooting red barrels.

That stuff in the OP sounds really interesting; looking forward to hearing more now. I'm particularly interested in seeing more of the motorcycle riding as that seems like a neat way to get around this hostile open world.

One of the devs in the RT interview mentioned loving Sons of Anarchy and imagining Jacks in a post apocalyptic setting.

Yup this keeps sounding better.

Wagram

"No Multiplayer at all, focusing on their strengths, single player story."

Good. I'm so glad many developers are going back to single player only. We don't need shoe horned multiplayer.

Shin-chan

Two things I could see needed work from the demo:

Gunplay needs improving. It looked like it was okay but it needs to be tighter and the reticule needs to be more precise - as it is it's too big and looks more like something that would fit in an older fps. They should look to Uncharted 4 which uses different reticules for different weapons. This will hopefully be the most obvious improvement for them to make.

The second is enemy hit boxes and the player hurt box. Maybe it was just because it was set to invincible mode during the demo but the zombies didn't actually really go for the character in the way you'd expect given their speed. Then when they did there was no impact to the player. This needs to be fixed because currently there's no real threat to the player.

I guess a final little niggle is animation transitions which look a bit janky at the moment. It's still impressive for such a small team though. The game looks like it could be really great and I'm even interested in their story which outside of the zombie apocalypse is quite unique.

E92 M3

I thought it looked like fun, but like State of Decay it boggles my mind why they'd go with zero mulitplayer. Especially since they showed off the playing with another npc, it would just seem like a perfect fit for at least two player co op a la Dead Island/Dead Rising, etc.

I think multiplayer ruins a lot of games. Nice to have a good single player adventure.

LifEndz

Probably would be too close to the TLOU for some, but I can't help but imagine TLOU multiplayer in this game but with wild animals playing a factor. Looks good either. Glad they didn't just try to shoehorn something in and are focusing on establishing a good campaign. I'm fed intrigued.

Buzzman

Banned
I do not understand the hype for this game. It looks like State of Decay 2 without basebuilding/coop, or Dead Rising 4 without the wackiness.
This just looks bland.

That sounds great but it makes the demo seem worse, I don't think it accurately conveyed the "craft your way out of a situation using tools" that seems to be a big focus. It was basically run and shoot red barrels

But I'm definitely excited to see more now, I have faith in Bend. They seem very passionate about this
I think you're selling the demo a bit short. I like how aggressive the zombies are that part of the strategy is to use your environment and funnel them to narrow corridor/pathway so they didn't catch up and overwhelm you. Things like creating more obstacles to slow down zombie. Leading them to weak floor so they fall because of their weight etc.

I like the demo because when I see the demo and imagining myself playing it, I can kinda imagine how tense it would be especially when it's your first time playinh and you're not familiar with the area beforehand. Where the location of all the strategic spots like red barrel etc. You're gonna have to think your strategy on the fly.

Loudninja

I do not understand the hype for this game. It looks like State of Decay 2 without basebuilding/coop, or Dead Rising 4 without the wackiness.
This just looks bland.
You mean it looks like a different zombie game then those 2?

How is that not a good thing.

Top Bottom