• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone details, No Multiplayer, Dynamic day/night cycle, plus more

aravuus

Wasn't interested before, but them focusing 100% on the single-player does sound pretty cool. Love the massive amount of zombies and how the horde flows in the world.

JawzPause

Honestly this would look much better if they changed the main character. He looks so generic i feel like I've seen this before

Loudninja

OléGunner;207306743 said:
Kinda Funny reaction vid is up, Colin digs it a whole lot.
Like the extended demo a lot, the horde tech is amazing.

Hopefully Bend can just brush up some animations and gun sounds but that's a nitpick for a game so early.

Hmm well technically they are not zombies but living breathing creatures with social structures, movement patterns, sleep cycles, food requirements etc.

This all can feed into gameplay and how you approach situations to make things way more interesting than a general zombie game.
I really love this idea they have going on.

jett

D-Member
Kinda Funny's reaction to the behind-closed-doors demo. Makes the game make a lot more sense.

As to the "they're not zombies, they're freakers" thing, it's actually a fairly significant distinction in that they're in fact "alive" (seemingly more so than TLOU pseudo-zombies) in that they need to eat and sleep. A specific thing they mentioned was that they hibernate during the day, which makes it possible for you to scout out the location/lay traps before actually tackling that zombie horde. This explains how you would know where to go and what to do in terms of triggering all of those traps and using all of those shortcuts.

The fact that they're alive also effectively justifies them seemingly dropping from a single shot of a submachine rifle, as I think any one of would as well, seeing as how they're actually alive.

Criticizing the game is cool and all, and more productive for them than lavishly pouring on half-truth praise, but I really wish some people here would at least cut these guys some slack.

I think presenting the demo without commentary probably did some damage. It just didn't look like it was doing anything different, aside from their zombie horde tech. Based on more recent information I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Handy Fake

I could feel the breath of those undead bastards on my neck as he was running like. I'm wavering between MUST PLAY and NOPE NOPE.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The more I hear about this game the more I'm into it. I know a lot of people are down on it but I could see this being rather larger if they give us a more in depth showing down the road.

tusken77

Great to see the game receiving plenty of nominations/awards.

ShgCRbH.png

BTA

Are the enemies really called "freakers"? They better have a good in-universe reason for that, because it sounds really unnatural and pretty comedic as well, to be honest.

Stealth50

The demo they showed at E3 didn't really do anything for me, but since it was a new IP, AAA and a singe-player game I decided read up more about it anyway. Still not convinced but I'm at least a little more interested now. One key bit of information that they mentioned in the Gamespot interview that I think they should have mentioned at the show was that apparently killing the entire horde was part of a mission. Without that context to the demo it frankly looked a bit comical and absurd the way he constantly turned around a mowed down zombies for seemingly no good reason.

The demo they showed at E3 didn't really do anything for me, but since it was a new IP, AAA and a singe-player game I decided read up more about it anyway. Still not convinced but I'm at least a little more interested now. One key bit of information that they mentioned in the Gamespot interview that I think they should have mentioned at the show was that apparently killing the entire horde was part of a mission. Without that context to the demo it frankly looked a bit comical and absurd the way he constantly turned around a mowed down zombies for seemingly no good reason.

well I guess that's one way to justify why he prepare 700+ bullet to the mission. on the other hand, how the hell whoever give the mission expect 1 guy to kill an entire horde. that is death sentence if this is not videogame.

Trouble

Banned
Kinda Funny's reaction to the behind-closed-doors demo. Makes the game make a lot more sense.

As to the "they're not zombies, they're freakers" thing, it's actually a fairly significant distinction in that they're in fact "alive" (seemingly more so than TLOU pseudo-zombies) in that they need to eat and sleep. A specific thing they mentioned was that they hibernate during the day, which makes it possible for you to scout out the location/lay traps before actually tackling that zombie horde. This explains how you would know where to go and what to do in terms of triggering all of those traps and using all of those shortcuts.

The fact that they're alive also effectively justifies them seemingly dropping from a single shot of a submachine rifle, as I think any one of would as well, seeing as how they're actually alive.

Criticizing the game is cool and all, and more productive for them than lavishly pouring on half-truth praise, but I really wish some people here would at least cut these guys some slack.

So 28 Days Later instead of World War Z.

So 28 Days Later instead of World War Z.

Or slower I am legend with will smith. They slept in buildings during the day and come out to play at night. I dig this a lot too I think it will be fun. Throw in a lot of environments and cool play grounds to play around in. I will say I hope maybe somehow we can start rebuilding the world kinda. For example I hope somehow we can get the turbines running again and restore power by finding supplies and the right people

Bandit1

Good stuff, I was wondering about the freakers, and I like that they're alive instead of reanimated.

I hope ammo is more scarce than in the demo. Carrying 700 rounds is kind of ridiculous. Doesn't have to be like TLOU, where you're picking up one bullet at a time, but I hope it is toned down somewhat.

NHale

Please come out soon.

Yesterday they were talking at Gamespot stage and Danny O'Dwyer just said something like "It looks great. I'm sure we will talk again at this stage next E3" and the person from Sony Bend didn't even say a word and seemed to agree with it.

So it seems they are targetting Fall 2017 but even if they get it ready for that timeframe, there is still some doubts that Sony will release this next Fall alongside so many 10M+ seller games that are supposed to come out Fall 2017, some of them that are pushed by Sony marketing.

bunkitz

Sounds fantastic. Really glad there's no multiplayer. There seems to be a lot more depth to the game than what we saw in the conference demo. Looking forward to learning more about the game, especially its world and story, as well as the different types of freakers.

I also really like how they're different from zombies. I'm curious, though, are the freakers curable? They're alive, right? And to me, that's the biggest difference and ought to allow for a cure.

Luke_Wal

I learned so much from this video that I can't help but think Sony may have made a blunder by NOT having someone speak as they played this demo on-stage. They could have delivered so much of this information that makes the game sound unique (the mission is to take out the whole horde, he's a bounty hunter, they sleep during the day), but the fact that they didn't makes people assume it's just another generic zombie game. Might have been the one big mistake of the conference.

Outside of GAF, the reaction is super positive

It's a zombie game, and that has tons of appeal. There are people who buy dead rising, play cod zombies, like dead island, left 4 dead, and dying light, etc

They see a game like this and see something no other game has done, and they are excited. They see a story and character and that's something that people like to see too.

The horde was impressive. All the little traps were interesting. Running from such a huge mob is exciting. Im pretty optimistic about this game

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm becoming more and more convinced that this demo wasn't the best way to debut the game. The other info coming out of interviews has been far more intriguing.

bunkitz

I learned so much from this video that I can't help but think Sony may have made a blunder by NOT having someone speak as they played this demo on-stage. They could have delivered so much of this information that makes the game sound unique (the mission is to take out the whole horde, he's a bounty hunter, they sleep during the day), but the fact that they didn't makes people assume it's just another generic zombie game. Might have been the one big mistake of the conference.

Yeah, that's a great point. I feel like plenty of people may have not have thought much of the game after seeing the demo, because they might have just focused on the fact that all Deacon did was shoot at the freakers and stuff.

I really hope this game is successful, because that horde is insane and Bend clearly put plenty of love and work into this game.

Mentok

Banned

Seriously. When I first saw the trailer I thought it was TLOU2. Then I thought "Oh great, just another zombie game", which the demo kind of confirmed. The info released afterwards has made it a little more interesting for me.

Venom Fox

Banned
The fact the zombies are "alive" will make the game more enjoyable to play I think. You'll always have a trade of when gunning them down as you know that they are real living people it's just that something else is controlling them.

Good explanation as to why they can run so fast as well.

Servbot24

Banned

Hmm, the mechanic of scouting areas, laying out traps, and then executing your plan at night as a sort of puzzle element definitely makes the game sound more appealing to me.

I'll admit, I was like "oh look another zombie game", but this thread managed to shift my perspective. I guess it doesn't matter if it's zombies, demons, warlords, etc.. what matters is gameplay and this game sounds like it has fantastic gameplay so count me in!

I think now that more info has come out we can say that it was a bad demo and it didn't help sell the game. There was no mention that you were on a quest to kill the horde which would explain the seemingly useless shooting. In fact the demo makes it look like you are on a quest to kill a guy and get surprised by the horde. They don't show you the counter which would also give the viewer a sense of the true nature of the quest and its progress. Actually given these two points I still find it hard to believe that your quest was to kill the horde.

On top of that the entire demo seems fake in the sense that it looked to be a series of scripted events instead of a true rule based open world. The amount of zombies and their closeness to you looked more dependent on the story they were trying to tell than in a response to the actions of the player. Pick up an axe. One zombie comes at you at a time. Enter another room and zombies pore through every opening. Need to pick up some items and turn your back on the horde, they suddenly take forever to reach you. End of the demo and crossing a bridge, the seemingly endless horde chasing you trickles to an end only to reveal an even larger horde you have no hope to defeat.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was originally a bit down on the demo - although the fluid zombie dynamics look great.

But thinking about it, I think the demo was deliberately set up to showcase those waves of zombies - the guy deliberately shooting at them until you see them overwhelm the area and then he moves on. So I'm now considering the E3 presentation just a tech showcase and I'm interested to see how they build a game around that.

Curiosity piqued

JakR

I was originally a bit down on the demo - although the fluid zombie dynamics look great.

But thinking about it, I think the demo was deliberately set up to showcase those waves of zombies - the guy deliberately shooting at them until you see them overwhelm the area and then he moves on. So I'm now considering the E3 presentation just a tech showcase and I'm interested to see how they build a game around that.

Curiosity piqued

For me it was a good showcase, but also a little mute and that is because the game seems to just find its way. We should not forget Bend Studios trying to find a project after Golden Abyss was diffcult and needed some time to conclude starting Days Gone. Bends first AAA console game and Sony shows that they are confident to present the game, but also to give Bend the self assurance and see that they are on track.

So I am excited, but still the game is in my mind far away and probably a 2018 title. But that is alright I can wait and want the best possible game from Bend. :)

Top Bottom