• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone details, No Multiplayer, Dynamic day/night cycle, plus more

Reading No Multiplayer and Single Player Story makes me MUCH more excitrd for this game.

Sony loves single player games more and I'm really happy to see their focus on that when most of the games these days are focusing multiplayer aspect a lot (which dies when servers gone, but I can have this single player experience forever when i want without losing nothing from the game).

NHale

I just imagined playing that demo scene while it's nighttime. :eek:

Preorder cancelled.

* Game has been in development for 3+ years, but still its in early development as they just only finished core mechanics/ideas of the game and not ready yet

So most likely they are aiming for Fall 2017, add the traditional delay to launch February-May 2018.

Moonkid

Hm, I'm not usually bothered to the extent I'm put off a game itself but the generic protagonist kinda ruined it for me. The game looks promising and I have no qualms with the setting either, it's just this aspect that took me out of it for some reason.

Sony loves single player games more and I'm really happy to see their focus on that when most of the games these days are focusing multiplayer aspect a lot (which dies when servers gone, but I can have this single player experience forever when i want without losing nothing from the game).
Love your opinion. This is a reflection of mine also. Single player mode lives forever.

SomTervo

I think it could work as a game. I'm cautiously optimistic.

The way the horde worked seemed certainly unique and the biggest potential of the game.

Definitely a lot of potential - I think it'll come down to how well designed the world is.

If there are safe spots everywhere or if the game funnels you into safe spots (which they claim it won't but they might be too ambitious here) then the thrill of being hunted will be lost. Edit: watching the alternate gameplay video, it looks like this definitely isn't going to happen. So many options and a proper 'escape sandbox'

That moment of hundreds of creatures running out to get you, and just... 'What do you do?' That is something I've wanted from games for ages. Dying Light captures it fairly well and TLoU hit it a couple of times even though TLoU is linear. Funnily enough that messed up Alone in the Dark reboot captured it, when you had no resources/ammo and had to peg it.

This game looks like it's really building on that

JakR

I love that extended gameplay, should have shown this path in the press conference. More varied path, showing more mechanics.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Crazy how great this game looks being open world and only made by a team of 100 people, that goes to show you how capable Sony WWS are. And I'm glad Sony focus on story over bland multiplayer.

-d0hv

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
That alternate playthrough is even more baffling than the E3 presentation. It's got a dead serious zombie survival tone with an infinite ammo insta-reload assault rifle being the main mechanic in the game. Seems more like a tech demo than a representation of what they actually want the game to be at this point.
You do notice how there's hundreds of zombies on screen right ? That wouldn't even work if he had small amount of ammo. Then people would complain how it's not fun. But coming from you of course...

-d0hv

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I was just thinking of the similarities between the part in TLoU where (light spoilers)
Ellie's hunting, ends up in those factory ruins and has to escape from the compound together with those two guys she just met
and the saw mill shown in the gameplay segment of Days Gone.

Very well done part of TLoU, tense, exciting, but also totally scripted. Days Gone, at least for this specific location, sorta goes for the same siege/chase/escape sequence, but less scripted and on speed. I dig.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
The game looked wonderful.

I've been a fan of Bend for a bit, and loved Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It'd be interesting if they implemented that motion aiming (optional, of course), for Days Gone. It just felt really satisfying to pop off headshots like it was nothing by tilting the Vita to fine tune the aim.

I'm really stoked for this. My wife was watching the Press Conference with me, and she was yelling at the screen when the horde was chasing the drifter. I think she got up and started to leave the room because shit got too intense. This is going to be fun to play with her in the room. She plays the fuck out of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3, but Days Gone noped her the fuck out. I don't get it. lol.

Ethelwulf

I really, really liked this game. The mix between open world with well crafted scripted scenes is wonderful and something I was waiting to appear in a game. Looking forward to it!

Alienous

If I were Sony I would have Montreal Screwjob'd Neil Druckmann and announced this as The Last of Us: Days Gone. Then I'd have the camera show Druckmann's face during the reveal.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm not betting my account, but I think this too.

Why? This plays nothing like TLoU, its an open world, vehicles, etc. Is it because of bearded gruff white guy and the post apocalypse? Because there are a ton of games that could fit that description.

Mossybrew

The only thing I wonder at this point is if we can somehow customize the main character to look a little less like a complete dipshit.

Danlord

Why? This plays nothing like TLoU, its an open world, vehicles, etc. Is it because of bearded gruff white guy and the post apocalypse? Because there are a ton of games that could fit that description.

Nothing in regards to the protagonist, but it just feels like it could be an open world last of us. Set just 2+ years after the injection started whereas the last of us is 20+ years. Having it set in the "early days" would be an interesting setting given the larger population count versus 20+ years of infection and death. It also can go more in depth of the fall of society a little more than how the last of us showed.

As for not playing like TLoU I think that's not a bad sign because not only is it not naughty dog doing it and would explain the differences, but the game is open world so it would make sense that the gameplay system and capabilities are vastly different.

I also think the name freakers is similar like clickers and runners but that's very weak argument I admit.

It might not be and even if it's not, I'm more than happy to get this game regardless. It looks incredible.

Crazy how great this game looks being open world and only made by a team of 100 people, that goes to show you how capable Sony WWS are. And I'm glad Sony focus on story over bland multiplayer.

-d0hv

I won't say Sony focuses purely on Single Player, I think Sony understands the need to build the proper foundation of a game first which can be achieved through a solid single player competent and if the game does well the sequel may or may not have a MP aspect. Look at Uncharted series as an example.

Loudninja

Man this game has some unique ideas with the weather system changing how the zombies act.

So there’s an open world, things to find and people to worry about but the Freakers are also a living part of this space. They’re not zombies in the traditional sense but appear to be diseased humans; feral and cannibalistic. Because they’re not undead they’re more like animals explains senior animator Emmanuel Roth. “They are a living type, they have some needs and behave differently depending on the weather, the location." There are different types as well, like the Newt, an adolescent form of Freaker that attacks and behaves differently, “Every creature is different” emphasises Roth.
http://www.gamesradar.com/days-gone...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Kinda Funny's reaction to the behind-closed-doors demo. Makes the game make a lot more sense.

As to the "they're not zombies, they're freakers" thing, it's actually a fairly significant distinction in that they're in fact "alive" (seemingly more so than TLOU pseudo-zombies) in that they need to eat and sleep. A specific thing they mentioned was that they hibernate during the day, which makes it possible for you to scout out the location/lay traps before actually tackling that zombie horde. This explains how you would know where to go and what to do in terms of triggering all of those traps and using all of those shortcuts.

The fact that they're alive also effectively justifies them seemingly dropping from a single shot of a submachine rifle, as I think any one of would as well, seeing as how they're actually alive.

Criticizing the game is cool and all, and more productive for them than lavishly pouring on half-truth praise, but I really wish some people here would at least cut these guys some slack.

Loudninja

Kinda Funny's reaction to the behind-closed-doors demo. Makes the game make a lot more sense.

As to the "they're not zombies, they're freakers" thing, it's actually a fairly significant distinction in that they're in fact "alive" (seemingly more so than TLOU pseudo-zombies) in that they need to eat and sleep. A specific thing they mentioned was that they hibernate during the day, which makes it possible for you to scout out the location/lay traps before actually tackling that zombie horde. This explains how you would know where to go and what to do in terms of triggering all of those traps and using all of those shortcuts.

The fact that they're alive also effectively justifies them seemingly dropping from a single shot of a submachine rifle, as I think any one of would as well, seeing as how they're actually alive.

Criticizing the game is cool and all, and more productive for them than lavishly pouring on half-truth praise, but I really wish some people here would at least cut these guys some slack.
Wow now that really cool.

Their rs a upgrade system too. also a number tracking how big the horde is.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is this game like The Last of Us but instead of single/small groups of enemies, you encounter massive swarms? And is the objective to run away from the zombie swarm whenever you encounter one, or is it actually possible to defeat them all?

" One thing I picked up is you ride a special bike, called a Drifter, that can drive off road, they said lots of off roading since the roads are all broken up, "Broken Roads." The bike is needed to survive, it is like its own character. It has saddle bags that holds your inventory. The bike is grounded, you will need to "know where it is and manage it" Several devs are bikers, lots of research into the bike. Actually got it up on rollers to make sure they got the sound of the bike right."

This is so the game for me.

Stampy

This game has great potential but also has some minor decision that just rub me the wrong way.

The character's animation is just too chill when he is being chased by a horde. It's like he is casually strolling while being chased by one of the teletubbies. The guy should stumble, his body should not be so tight, his whole spine should be positioned forward like he is running a sprint, not a f****g jog on the beach in the morning…

Picking up stuff is also too slow (almost Resident Evil 1 alike), while at the same time the dude is being chased by a zombie squad (also, what are they doing while he is picking up stuff, taking a smoke break?) Picking up stuff should work just the same as he cut that rope for the wood logs to fall down.

Also, stop, turn 180 on your spot and shoot is nonsensical and immersion breaking, they should have implemented a mechanic “shoot behind yourself while running forward”, that would look much more realistic and would highlight the overall sense of danger.

Sadly, I don’t see any of that being improved. :/

hesido

This game has great potential but also has some minor decision that just rub me the wrong way.

The character's animation is just too chill when he is being chased by a horde. It's like he is casually strolling while being chased by one of the teletubbies. The guy should stumble, his body should not be so tight, his whole spine should be positioned forward like he is running a sprint, not a f****g jog on the beach in the morning…

Picking up stuff is also too slow (almost Resident Evil 1 alike), while at the same time the dude is being chased by a zombie squad (also, what are they doing while he is picking up stuff, taking a smoke break?) Picking up stuff should work just the same as he cut that rope for the wood logs to fall down.

Also, stop, turn 180 on your spot and shoot is nonsensical and immersion breaking, they should have implemented a mechanic “shoot behind yourself while running forward”, that would look much more realistic and would highlight the overall sense of danger.

While I'm excited for the game, I did feel along the similar lines while watching his motions, especially when he was picking stuff up.. Although I imagined these as something that were going to be rectified (wishful thinking).

For example, while being chased by the horde, all animations need to be modified from what he would do while casually strolling. He should hastily pick up stuff, in hurry, for example. If they won't be able to spend time modifying almost each of his animations in horde escape mode, they should at least play some of these faster, like item pickup.

Hmm. I really want this game to be good, but I'm neutral so far. I don't like the gunplay, but I'm hoping that'll be fixed along with some animations. Also kind of burned out on zombies.

But the bike concept, plus scarcity of gas and ammo, plus dynamic weather, and Bend behind the title all have me interested. Let's hope they deliver.

Stampy

While I'm excited for the game, I did feel along the similar lines while watching his motions, especially when he was picking stuff up.. Although I imagined these as something that were going to be rectified (wishful thinking).

For example, while being chased by the horde, all animations need to be modified from what he would do while casually strolling. He should hastily pick up stuff, in hurry, for example. If they won't be able to spend time modifying almost each of his animations in horde escape mode, they should at least play some of these faster, like item pickup.

Yeah, special running animation for horde situations would be great, and that would probably be easier to fix than the stupid mechanic of just standing in the place and shooting at the horde, like it’s practice bottle shooting. If they wanted to do this mode justice, they can’t just copy-paste the same mechanics and behavior like if it was a standard enemy encounter. Come on, Bend, please fix this. Yeah, old man yelling at the cloud, I know. :( But it’s the thing when you see something is potentially good, but it’s missing that something more to elevate it to be so much better.

Raylan

Banned

Come on, dude. This game is far far away from completion. Animations, sounds, effects, textures, etc. are still in the making/will be changed/ edited, etc. etc.
Cut them some slack. It was an early demo. And for that, it looks great. The studio is still hiring as we speak.

Kinda Funny reaction vid is up, Colin digs it a whole lot.
Like the extended demo a lot, the horde tech is amazing.

Hopefully Bend can just brush up some animations and gun sounds but that's a nitpick for a game so early.

Hmm. I really want this game to be good, but I'm neutral so far. I don't like the gunplay, but I'm hoping that'll be fixed along with some animations. Also kind of burned out on zombies.

But the bike concept, plus scarcity of gas and ammo, plus dynamic weather, and Bend behind the title all have me interested. Let's hope they deliver.

Hmm well technically they are not zombies but living breathing creatures with social structures, movement patterns, sleep cycles, food requirements etc.

This all can feed into gameplay and how you approach situations to make things way more interesting than a general zombie game.

Top Bottom