• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Days Gone details, No Multiplayer, Dynamic day/night cycle, plus more

bitbydeath

So good

BiAZvWoiXPSX6.gif

Gurish

That alternate playthrough is even more baffling than the E3 presentation. It's got a dead serious zombie survival tone with an infinite ammo insta-reload assault rifle being the main mechanic in the game. Seems more like a tech demo than a representation of what they actually want the game to be at this point.

What's the problem with thinking he got a huge stash of ammo he found but he is missing other components?

The shooting is free at will and not survival type but he can still be looking for food and other valuable things he doesn't have, and he still need to survive against huge swarms of zombies that are savage and able to get anywhere so it does feel like a fight for his life and surviving, it's not like he is being OP with tons of bullets killing everyone easily, seems like a real struggle there even with tons of bullets, the game is designed differently than TLOU that gives you limited resources and more intimate encounters, this one gives you lots of ammo and tools in order to survive huge encounters.

Don't see any problem with it or a need to suspend anything too seriously, let the devs design the gameplay the way they want, this demo seems unique in this genre with or without 1000 bullets.

bitbydeath

That alternate playthrough is even more baffling than the E3 presentation. It's got a dead serious zombie survival tone with an infinite ammo insta-reload assault rifle being the main mechanic in the game. Seems more like a tech demo than a representation of what they actually want the game to be at this point.

Yet more realistic than games that feature Regenerative Health.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Who seriously cares if he's got realistic amounts of ammo? This looks fun as hell to play!
Besides, he changed what? Maybe 10-15 magazines. That's not some abnormally large amount.

Man I really want to get my hands on this game. Also it looks like ND has been sharing their Punch Laser tech lol.

Did you forget that this is a video game?

Man I really want to get my hands on this game. Also it looks like ND has been sharing their Punch Laser tech lol.

Did you forget that this is a video game?

If it's a video game why stop at infinite ammo assault rifle? Just seems really boring in the context of a video game ass video game, and out of place in an atmospheric survival game. I still say this is not what the final game will look like, and the assault rifle is just them wanting to show a bunch of zombies on screen.

Gurish

Who seriously cares if he's got realistic amounts of ammo? This looks fun as hell to play!
Besides, he changed what? Maybe 10-15 magazines. That's not some abnormally large amount.

Honestly it's more unrealistic in a post apocalyptic world that a man traveling alone with the means of defending himself will have only 3 bullets and 1 stick like in TLOU, why would the guy won't be heavily armed? guns are not going to disappear, maybe food will be harder to get, but bullets hold well, it can happen that people will have more weapons than available food in such scenario.

This is nit picky as much as complaining about Joel can't finding more ammo when he kills enemies, it's a game just relax and enjoy the gameplay.

Karak

If it's a video game why stop at infinite ammo assault rifle? Just seems really boring in the context of a video game ass video game, and out of place in an atmospheric survival game. I still say this is not what the final game will look like, and the assault rifle is just them wanting to show a bunch of zombies on screen.

Honestly its so far out and currently rough as fuck. I am not sure we can even assume what its going to be like survival wise. Thematically its a mess but many trailers/early show stuff is/are as things get tightened up and gameplay decisions are made.

Gurish

The survival element can be from the fact that you need to deal with a huge swarm that is very brutal and wild, don't see any problem with having lots of ammo if the devs want this kind of gameplay.

The latest demonstration is very intense and cool as hell.

Gurish

Well, I disagree completely on that part too; so I'm just hoping there's more to this game. Though it seems like State of Decay 2 might be more what I'm looking for anyway.

It looked like an action scene from TWD (do you complain about them having lots of ammo there as well in some parts in the show?), everything was so dynamic, from the AI to the environment reacting to everything, it looked awesome I think but alright, won't try to convince you.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Remember when Ready at Dawn proved themselves with Ghosts of Sparta...

I suspect this will be significantly better but past success isn't a guarantee of anything...

There was more gameplay in the demo than there was in most of the Order 1886 and this comes from someone who enjoyed that game despite its serious faults.

Have you never ever seen a stage demo of a videogame at a major conference? They all pull this and so did several at this years E3. The main hook of the game isn't an assault rifle with huge amounts of ammo, come on now, quit being foolish.

The survival element can be from the fact that you need to deal with a huge swarm that is very brutal and wild, don't see any problem with having lots of ammo if the devs want this kind of gameplay.

The latest demonstration is very intense and cool as hell.

The way they talked on Roster Teeth it doesn't sound like you are going to have tons of ammo and stuff..They mentioned resources are scarce...

Are people really thinking this is completely representative of the final game? Most demos for shows are played on easy mode, or god mode, etc..They probably have a lot of ammo on this demo to show off their shooting mechanic and how effective it is against hordes....which doesn't appear to be very effective since they just keep coming...

Wish someone would develop an open world game more from the group-up around not having a minimap.

While an option to hide it is always nice, feel that if a conscious attempt was made not even to include it, a lot of things in the gameplay (directions, looting, enemies, keeping track of your location) could be done either more intuitively with a 'real world HUD' (e.g. a short brief arrow the flashes), natural HUD esque markers (e.g. maybe the game uses flares or you can use marking tape a la forestry workers), or just balance the game less around collecting/marking and more about exploration and keeping track of where you are.

Not sure if this is the game for that since between the heavy focus on looting, scavenging, questing, etc it's basically a side questing frenzy of sorts. Just a thought though watching this video and seeing a lot of typical open world elements (though no objective marked on the minimap was nice).

But even watching this, as I saw the zombie zerg charge him, even as a viewer and not player I found myself keeping track of the 'threat' via minimap, and I wonder if the game would be even more tense without the safe instant 'awareness' of threats that a minimap gives.

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member
Oh man that extended demo is exactly what I was hoping for. Various ways to maneuver around enemies, traps, intense music. The team just needs to make sure the frame rate is solid and that the weapons feel and sound powerful.

Can't wait to see new enemy types that make the players use the environments a bit more( like faster, more agile monsters where they'll easily catch up to you when not utilizing traps or giving them the slip ).

No hit markers, no hit reactions, no good gore or blood spraying, they just fall down?

Im mad because I want this game and I will buy it but jeesus man, they need to fix this.

I'm pretty sure it is only like this because of the early development stage. It is obvious that turned things on like unlimited/high ammo and one shot kill for zombies

people are impressed by the amount of zombies on screen at once and yeah, i am too but.. how about the amount of trees? at least from what i saw there was quite a nice density in the forests! i hope they dont downgrade that.. i NEED dense forests in my open world zombie survival game. i dont care how low-poly you have to make individual trees and bushes, just make the areas dense.

just imagining venturing into a huge forest at night with zombie hordes roaming around gives me the chills.. oh and Bend please make the night actually dark so i cant see shit and panic at every noise, thanks. most devs dont have the guts, so we'll see.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the deal with these zombies, it looks like you can kill 3 of them for each bullet fired. Makes the combat look silly and not impactful. Literally there opposite of the combat in TLoU.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So what's the deal with these zombies, it looks like you can kill 3 of them for each bullet fired. Makes the combat look silly and not impactful. Literally there opposite of the combat in TLoU.

At most you're facing a half dozen enemies or so in The Last of Us and the arena's weren't anywhere near this size. Its the exact opposite of the Last of Us in a ton of ways.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
At most you're facing a half dozen enemies or so in The Last of Us and the arena's weren't anywhere near this size. Its the exact opposite of the Last of Us in a ton of ways.

That's my point though, the combat loses its impact when you're mowing down thousands of enemies in each encounter with infinite bullets.

bitbydeath

That's standard zombie shtick featured in just about every movie and show about zombies to date. TLOU didn't have 'zombies' which is probably why they didn't go down as easy.

Basically the bodies break down after they die so everyday folk can crush them with their bare hands, bullets passing straight through them is no different either.

Kssio_Aug

Just watched the demo. At the first 3 minutes I actually thought it could even be a The Last of Us continuation (besides I didn't notice ND's logo), and I was excited. But after 5~7 minutes shooting at that zombie horde I think it was some very tiring 10 minutes of gameplay... I realized then it couldn't be a ND game.

That's my point though, the combat loses its impact when you're mowing down thousands of enemies in each encounter with infinite bullets.

Yet it's more threatening when you have hordes of ferocious enemies after your ass.

Like the way the zombies were pilling up was crazy. Just imagine them coming after you at night.

Just watched the demo. At the first 3 minutes I actually thought it could even be a The Last of Us continuation (besides I didn't notice ND's logo), and I was excited. But after 5~7 minutes shooting at that zombie horde I think it was some very tiring 10 minutes of gameplay... I realized then it couldn't be a ND game.

It doesn't need to be a ND game because judging by the new info it's a completely different game that isn't linear like Last of Us.

I dunno, I'm pretty skeptical. Getting a 'Order 1886 2.0' feel from this whole thing. Unproven developer with a somewhat technically impressive PS4 game which looks otherwise a bit mediocre and has been in development for 3 years with only the basics and this demo to show for it? We'll see how it turns out.

I dunno, I'm pretty skeptical. Getting a 'Order 1886 2.0' feel from this whole thing. Unproven developer with a somewhat technically impressive PS4 game which looks otherwise a bit mediocre and has been in development for 3 years with only the basics and this demo to show for it? We'll see how it turns out.

One had gameplay the other didn't.

Bend is an unproven studio?

Okay...

Auctopus

Have some people in this thread never encountered a stage demo being played on God Mode? Infinite Health, Infinite ammo, super easy.

Also, do you understand how obvious it is saying how much "shit they need to get fixed" when the game clearly isn't finished and Bend have said it's at a pretty early stage?

No hit markers, no hit reactions, no good gore or blood spraying, they just fall down?

Im mad because I want this game and I will buy it but jeesus man, they need to fix this.

Yeah, I want to see a lot more feedback for the combat, but I'm sure this will all happen later in development.

There was more gameplay in the demo than there was in most of the Order 1886 and this comes from someone who enjoyed that game despite its serious faults.

Yeah, exactly. These comparisons to The Order 1886 are extremely disingenuous.

Protip: there's not going to be infinite ammo in the full game.

What other games did they do?

I'm genuinely curious, maybe something I enjoyed? :D

They've done the whole Syphon Filter series, Resistance Retribution on the PSP and Uncharted: Golden Abyss on the Vita*. Actually a really solid track record, although this is their largest project by far.

*They've also done Bubsy 3D, but that was literally 20 years ago, so let's not hold it against them!

wapplew

They said those are not "zombie". They are still alive with some intelegent and will die with one bullet on the chest like human

Top Bottom