• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells trailer - Castlevania meets permadeath, a vibrant pixel art "roguevania"

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Oh, Early Access? Saw the May10th release date, and I was in. Now, I'm out.

Wake me up when the actual game is out.

This preview sounds promising
http://saveorquit.com/2017/04/29/preview-dead-cells/
Hollow Knight bothered me with its lack of a real-time map? Dead Cells has an amazing mini-map in the corner of the screen. Alwa’s Awakening lacked teleporters? Dead Cells has several teleporters in a single dungeon, and their map displays the name of items the player has not picked up yet. The Binding of Isaac obfuscated too much information? Dead Cells shows what every single item does without evening needing to pick it up. Most Roguelites and Metroidvanias have a draggy beginning before you can pick up movement upgrades? Dead Cells lets you start with the roll, the double jump and the dive. Rogue Legacy had a neat permanent progression but its combat was terrible and was closer to a bullet hell? Dead Cells has typical Castlevania combat, with extra features

Peroroncino

The game looks effin' amazing. After I platinumed Salt and Sanctuary I was looking for anything similar and this most definitely fits the bill.

dead-cells-beta-sign-up.gif

Is there any OT or any other thread for this? Game was supposedly released as early access today and I can't find anything.

Pejo

Like the art and the look, combat looks fun. I just have no taste for Roguelike games or perma-death. I tried Rogue Legacy for an entry level version of a Roguelike, and just couldn't get into it.

Definitely looks cool though.

Nivert

I'm absolutely in love with this game after playing a few hours so far. The art, animations, sound design, and music are so polished and the combat is very fun and fast. I was going to stop for lunch an hour and a half ago but time just flew by.

I've died quite a few times but I'm having a blast exploring for new stuff and learning the areas and enemies.

GKFinns

Played this at PAX East, and it went from "Game I've Never Heard Of" to "My Game of the Show" with a quickness.

bounchfx

I'm absolutely in love with this game after playing a few hours so far. The art, animations, sound design, and music are so polished and the combat is very fun and fast. I was going to stop for lunch an hour and a half ago but time just flew by.

I've died quite a few times but I'm having a blast exploring for new stuff and learning the areas and enemies.

stop you're tempting me

How close is the game to Rogue Legacy? Because I loved that game where as Spelunky I didnt care for as much as I like progression.

jet1911

Wow this game is good. The combat is fun and fast while also being quite hard. It's fun just running around the levels, the roll and the powerslam (dow + a) makes the combat really interesting from the start. The items are pretty from what I've seen so far and there are permanent unlock that are used to open up new paths in the beginning levels. Note that I'm generally not a fan of those types of games but I can see myself playing this a lot.

bounchfx

Wow this game is good. The combat is fun and fast while also being quite hard. It's fun just running around the levels, the roll and the powerslam (dow + a) makes the combat really interesting from the start. The items are pretty from what I've seen so far and there are permanent unlock that are used to open up new paths in the beginning levels. Note that I'm generally not a fan of those types of games but I can see myself playing this a lot.

ok I think I'm sold now, if the actual movement and combat itself is fun enough to just play a lot that's all it takes for me. keep the impressions comin!

Nivert

How close is the game to Rogue Legacy? Because I loved that game where as Spelunky I didnt care for as much as I like progression.

There's a progression system where you spend 'cells' to unlock items/weapons and upgrades which are all permanent, so more like Rogue Legacy in that regard.

1upsuper

So how complete is this game? I usually don't bother with EA stuff unless basically the whole game is there. Unlike everyone else I love permadeath and roguelikes/roguelites.

Nivert

So how complete is this game? I usually don't bother with EA stuff unless basically the whole game is there. Unlike everyone else I love permadeath and roguelikes/roguelites.

Yeah usually with EA I get bored because there's not enough content and then end up not playing until it launches anyways.

This was from their blog post:
What's in the game?
11 levels - Each with a variation of enemies, design and ambience.
20 monsters - More in fact, but there will be plenty of ways for you to die.
50 items - Tons of weapon, active skills, traps, amulets and so on to experiment with!
1 fluid fun combat system - Wait to you get to explore. It feels pretty nice.
Hours and hours of gameplay - anywhere from 10 to 30 hours or more depending on your skill level.

which they've said is about 40-50% of the content they have planned for launch.

Lanrutcon

Game is hard as balls, and not for the right reasons.

There are no invulnerability frames after getting hit, so enemies will juggle you to death. Enemy damage ramps up from level to level but you rely on random power ups to raise your health. You get to the point where the basic enemies 2 shot you if you haven't found enough health ups. Power ups are random.

Enemies see you from screens away, and ranged enemies will shoot at you from beyond your vision. There is no zoom function. There is no way to see if a drop ends in death or a floor. Elite enemies are scattered around the map that teleport to you, spawn infinite enemies, stun you,etc. They're literally run enders and reward absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Knockback, stuns and kamakazi explosions are frequent and present on even the most basic enemies.

Permanent upgrades are all offensive, so you always start out as frail as you did last time. Currency for progression is lost upon death and the ability to spend it is only present at the end of each level. You get the same amount of currency for the very first enemy you fight as you do for the majority of the enemies you fight. The things you actually buy are only presented to you randomly: that item you spend all your currency on might not actually be present in your game until you die again.

I got as far as the fog swamp place, and quite frankly: I miss Hollow Knight. That game is a finely crafted experience. This is a roguelike balanced like a game without permadeath.

Calm Mind

There are no invulnerability frames after getting hit, so enemies will juggle you to death. Enemy damage ramps up from level to level but you rely on random power ups to raise your health. You get to the point where the basic enemies 2 shot you if you haven't found enough health ups. Power ups are random.

Enemies see you from screens away, and ranged enemies will shoot at you from beyond your vision. There is no zoom function. There is no way to see if a drop ends in death or a floor. Elite enemies are scattered around the map that teleport to you, spawn infinite enemies, stun you,etc. They're literally run enders and reward absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Knockback, stuns and kamakazi explosions are frequent and present on even the most basic enemies.

Permanent upgrades are all offensive, so you always start out as frail as you did last time. Currency for progression is lost upon death and the ability to spend it is only present at the end of each level. You get the same amount of currency for the very first enemy you fight as you do for the majority of the enemies you fight. The things you actually buy are only presented to you randomly: that item you spend all your currency on might not actually be present in your game until you die again.

I got as far as the fog swamp place, and quite frankly: I miss Hollow Knight. That game is a finely crafted experience. This is a roguelike balanced like a game without permadeath.

Ugh. I'm getting Rainworld vibes just from reading this.

It needs to be tweaked for sure. The difficulty is too high for something that might be close to an hour or more per run when it's finished. I played the demo and got frustrated then, and that was when it only had two levels. The presentation is great, but it's just so frustrating to play that it doesn't feel rewarding to come back to. I'm sure it'll get fixed with feedback, but right now it's hard to play for extended periods of time.

The elite enemies are frustrating to fight because they often spawn in the middle of a fight, and unless you get lucky with items, the only way to fight them is to hit them twice, roll, and repeat. While that's not too bad one on one, you rarely fight these enemies alone. The fact that they drop rare blueprints encourages fighting them, but at the same time, engaging them will usually end the run.

Lanrutcon

It needs to be tweaked for sure. The difficulty is too high for something that might be close to an hour or more per run when it's finished. I played the demo and got frustrated then, and that was when it only had two levels. The presentation is great, but it's just so frustrating to play that it doesn't feel rewarding to come back to. I'm sure it'll get fixed with feedback, but right now it's hard to play for extended periods of time.

The elite enemies are frustrating to fight because they often spawn in the middle of a fight, and unless you get lucky with items, the only way to fight them is to hit them twice, roll, and repeat. While that's not too bad one on one, you rarely fight these enemies alone. The fact that they drop rare blueprints encourages fighting them, but at the same time, engaging them will usually end the run.

So for elites I've run into 4 non-mandatory ones, and 3 of them straight up murdered me the moment they got a hit in. Elite Shield Guy with no windup on his charge move, stunning hits and dramatically reduced hit stun. Rolled and got in 1 hit before he stunned me. Never got control of my character back. Elite Scorpion, 1 shot me from range. Elite Skeleton guy at the foggy dogs, knockback and stun on every hit. Moment I got hit once I never touched the ground again.

Muuuuurder.

So for elites I've run into 4 non-mandatory ones, and 3 of them straight up murdered me the moment they got a hit in. Elite Shield Guy with no windup on his charge move, stunning hits and dramatically reduced hit stun. Rolled and got in 1 hit before he stunned me. Never got control of my character back. Elite Scorpion, 1 shot me from range. Elite Skeleton guy at the foggy dogs, knockback and stun on every hit. Moment I got hit once I never touched the ground again.

Muuuuurder.

Yeah, it's brutally hard, but not in the fun way. The progression system keeps you coming back, but certain enemy combinations will end a run instantly, sometimes before you can even turn your cells in. I feel like this will get worse as the game gets longer unless they make some changes. I won't be interested in dedicating myself to an hour long run if something like what you just said will happen the majority of the time.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, it's brutally hard, but not in the fun way. The progression system keeps you coming back, but certain enemy combinations will end a run instantly, sometimes before you can even turn your cells in. I feel like this will get worse as the game gets longer unless they make some changes. I won't be interested in dedicating myself to an hour long run if something like what you just said will happen the majority of the time.

My most frustrating death will make weep.

Tanky character gets knocked into a pit with 5 tiny enemies. First enemy hits me, second enemy hits me, now I'm slightly off the ground, third enemy hits me, now I'm lifted against a wall and my character is on top of one of the enemies. Death by a thousand cuts while being forcefully crowd surfed.

Looks quite good, shame hearing the relatively mixed opinions.

Speaking of which, it feels like I've been waiting forever for Chasm, another Roguevania. And just checking, its Kickstarter (which had a playable demo) was in 2013... four years ago. Still, it seems it entered alpha recently, so hopefully not much longer...

If Fire Emblem has taught me anything, it's that permadeath should always be optional.

Then it taught you nothing.

soqquatto

+ graphics are awesome
+ castlevania!

- procedural? roguelike? no thanks
- permadeath

"procedural" and "roguelike" are just a way to say "poorly crafted single player content" now. avoid like the plague.
permadeath sounds a bit too elitist to me.

Corpekata

Banned
If you quit it saves exactly where you are, which is nice but also an issue. If you get stuck somewhere your character is basically hosed. There must be a way to artificially suicide, I reckon.

Awesome, been playing too many recently that make you either plat until you die or quite and lose progress if you end up in some long run. That typically kills my interest in similar games sometimes, so glad you can pause a run.

Hexer06

Totally forgot about this game until I got the email from Steam today saying it's in Early Access, lol. Kinda confused after the mixed thoughts. I was about to buy it instantly til I saw those posts about it being unfairly hard. Hmm... I'm probably still gonna buy it cuz $15 isn't that bad. I'm always down for more "-vanias" lol.

jb1234

I'm also mixed on it. It looks really good, it controls well and the combat is generally satisfying. But man, permadeath is such a buzzkill. It kills any sense of progression in the game. And while the levels do look good, the procedural elements are extremely obvious and pretty disappointing.

I'm going to wait to see how the game develops. I know that achievements are coming soon, at the very least.

jb1234

To clarify...

Is it like starting a new game all over again every time you die?
Will some things be kept\unlocked that you can use in the next run?

For the most part, yeah. There are some progression abilities you retain but otherwise, you start back with no weapons, no armor, and all your skills and health back to the baseline.

Top Bottom