• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells trailer - Castlevania meets permadeath, a vibrant pixel art "roguevania"

Maddrical

Permadeath seems to be misleading some people, I was confused until someone explained it works just like Rogue Legacy.

Anyway, picked it up tonight and played for an hour. Gorgeous game, smooth gameplay & controls. Love the animations. Really enjoying all the weapons & skills so far, but it's only early days. The freeze weapon seems super useful, I progressed up to the
Ramparts
on my second run before getting wrecked by a group of enemies using it. On my third without it I certainly struggled a bit more. I like the way you need to time your blocks with the shield though TBH I can't see myself using a shield much/at all, I'd rather stick with melee + ranged/specialty weapon.

The EA description says 11 levels, 2 bosses, ~50 weapons/skills & 2 character upgrades at launch which ain't too shabby. Looking forward to putting a bit of time into this over the weekend. The last 2 2D 'Metroidvania' games I've played recently (Hollow Knight & Salt & Sanctuary) I got burnt out on pretty quick, hopefully I can get through this. I actually somehow managed to finish Rogue Legacy on my Vita.

I have been waiting for this since PAX East, and picked it up yesterday very shortly after it became available.

To my knowledge I've never purchased an Early Access title before (though I have been given access to some via Kickstarters). I regret nothing. Game is good, I love it, I want it portable, want a physical release, a vinyl soundtrack, you name it.

Games like this, RG, Chasm...they really do it for me.

rybrad

I have been waiting for this since PAX East, and picked it up yesterday very shortly after it became available.

To my knowledge I've never purchased an Early Access title before (though I have been given access to some via Kickstarters). I regret nothing. Game is good, I love it, I want it portable, want a physical release, a vinyl soundtrack, you name it.

Games like this, RG, Chasm...they really do it for me.
What is RG?

jet1911

Maaaan this looks really cool, but permadeath is just not appealing to me anymore :(

There is an element of progression though. At the end of each run you start "naked" but when you finish a level you can spend currency to upgrade permanent upgrades.

jrcbandit

So is the game worth getting this early in EA? I usually hate to spoil myself before the final release, but same games take years to come out of EA lol.

mebizzle

There is an element of progression though. At the end of each run you start "naked" but when you finish a level you can spend currency to upgrade permanent upgrades.

Yeah, I get that it is like Rogue Legacy, that still turns me off. If it were like Souls, I'd be more keen on it.

Drain You

Ok, this is something I can get behind. Disappointed with the lack a graphical options though, even for a game like this. Played for a bit on a friends Surface Pro 3, which is pretty much the exact same as mine, and it ran like ass.

And why not?

Bring it on Switch devs!

Port beg away. It's clearly something the devs are working toward.

C_enckAXkAA3IXE.jpg

jb1234

It's been proving to be a fun game to play in little segments. That's not usually how I game but it's working here.

drotahorror

Strange that one of the best games in the rogue-lite genre is basically not talked about on gaf. A few days after it had released I noticed it had about 3-5k sells on steam.

As of today, it's the #2 seller on steam and has around 40-50k sells. Getting very good word of mouth.

The combat and animation is spectacular. I think the combat might be the best I've ever played in a 2D action/platformer like this.

Strange that one of the best games in the rogue-lite genre is basically not talked about on gaf. A few days after it had released I noticed it had about 3-5k sells on steam.

As of today, it's the #2 seller on steam and has around 40-50k sells. Getting very good word of mouth.

The combat and animation is spectacular. I think the combat might be the best I've ever played in a 2D action/platformer like this.
People got scared away by 1) "buzzwords" and 2) the notion of procedural levels in a metroidvania-esque areas. Maybe

And yeah the combat is fantastic. It's so satisfying getting a good loadout with good synergy. I particularly enjoy the twin daggers + throwing knife combo

drotahorror

People got scared away by 1) "buzzwords" and 2) the notion of procedural levels in a metroidvania-esque areas. Maybe

And yeah the combat is fantastic. It's so satisfying getting a good loadout with good synergy. I particularly enjoy the twin daggers + throwing knife combo

The low cooldowns on your spells and your ranged weapon really add a lot. Spamming a dagger, rolling and slashing someone feels great. Same as throwing 2 bombs at someone at the same time, or using a damage buffer to basically smash an elite in 2 seconds. Or using a knife storm with an 'enemies explode on death' affix and watching every enemy explode on screen (provided they're lesser enemies and not the harder ones).

The game just feels really good. They definitely should work on making a few of the weapons better/ more viable. One of my main gripes.

The low cooldowns on your spells and your ranged weapon really add a lot. Spamming a dagger, rolling and slashing someone feels great. Same as throwing 2 bombs at someone at the same time, or using a damage buffer to basically smash an elite in 2 seconds. Or using a knife storm with an 'enemies explode on death' affix and watching every enemy explode on screen (provided they're lesser enemies and not the harder ones).

The game just feels really good. They definitely should work on making a few of the weapons better/ more viable. One of my main gripes.
My main gripe is those starting minutes; I wish the weapons available at the start were randomized, instead of always being the bow and shield

Ice blast and turret is also a really effective combo

Lulubop

Looks great, but early access

Looks great, but early access
It is a roguelike/lite though; that is basically the best genre to get into on Early Access

Mainly because it's a genre based on distinct runs rather than cumulative progress, so updates come across as expansions on an already solid foundation rather than constructing something from a skeleton

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't get what makes this Castlevania-like at all since progression is linear. The map is similar, I guess? Apart from that it looks super fun

Lulubop

It is a roguelike/lite though; that is basically the best genre to get into on Early Access

Mainly because it's a genre based on distinct runs rather than cumulative progress, so updates come across as expansions on an already solid foundation rather than constructing something from a skeleton

The fun with a roguelike for me is the variety of tools you can get, and it seems like they haven't implemented half of what they planned on yet.

I agree tho.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm absolutely loving it. Will buy again for both PS4 and Switch.

The sense of control is amazing, something that I didn't feel as comfortable with as in Salt & Sanctuary. I also love the progression. It feels perfect, and I can't wait until more is added to it.

Ashtar

Saw some gameplay on ign looked fantastic, looking forward to it
Switch port would be clutch (not begging as devs posted pic)

Saw some gameplay on ign looked fantastic, looking forward to it
Switch port would be clutch (not begging as devs posted pic)

Y'know I find it interesting that these guys have a devkit but several legendary-tier indie developers with complete titles they'd like to put on Switch are struggling to negotiate for one.

Unless, of course, they were being asses and photoshopped a screenshot onto a Switch...

drotahorror

My main gripe is those starting minutes; I wish the weapons available at the start were randomized, instead of always being the bow and shield

Ice blast and turret is also a really effective combo

They are random if you buy the perk. Lightning whip is considered a bow so you can get that even. You can get ice blast too as a bow.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Nah. The only persistent stuff is the upgrade level of weapons. So you don't have to grind stats...but you'll get 1 shotted often.

I don't mind getting one shotted in that situation, it's not like the game expects you to grind up enough to avoid getting one shotted as a solution. I have never been turned off a game as fast as I was with Rogue Legacy.

Top Bottom