• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Watch_Dogs: please take note. (New Infamous Second Son Screenshots Inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it have a claim to being the best-looking game on the market, playable for under £1,000?

Not sure if they're pulling any visual tricks that will fall over constantly, but it looks incredible in these shots and videos

thelastword

Banned
Damn, can't wait to play this, a game which has everything I look for visually, high resolution, amazing IQ (my goodness the AA solution used here, so jaggie free), tons of effects, nice textures and lighting. This game is mighty impressive even in compressed screens, cant wait till holy fridge takes some captures to gives us a true glimpse oh how it really looks on a good screen.

RytGear

Hey, I think I just got spoiled on something by N4G so anyone who knows the powers can you say if this was a fake or not. Link in Spoilers. (spoilers in URL so don't click if you don't want powers spoiled.

n4g(dot)com/news/1475719/infamous-second-son-paper-and-concrete-superpower-revealed/pen

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Verses

Neo Member
This is how you do open world gaming on next-gen.

originalcbjuv.jpg

Particles; particles everywhere.

I've been playing Sleeping Dogs lately, and I can't help but feel if a game from 2012 can manage to look that good (with the free HD Texture DLC) then I've got hope that Watch Dogs might get some sort of treatment down the line.

koolio76

Neo Member
Hey, I think I just got spoiled on something by N4G so anyone who knows the powers can you say if this was a fake or not. Link in Spoilers. (spoilers in URL so don't click if you don't want powers spoiled.

n4g(dot)com/news/1475719/infamous-second-son-paper-and-concrete-superpower-revealed/pen

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

i dont think thats the power, so youre safe

Seanspeed

Banned
Let's see how dynamic Watch Dogs is, then.

Because if they think seeing an NPC trip is the kind of dynamic aspect that matters, I think they'll be mistaken.
Believe it or not, different people have different priorities on what they like in an open-world game.

This fanboyish rivalry created from this thread is really cringe-worthy. I'm embarrassed that somebody pointed this out to a Watch Dog dev and that he felt he should reply to it at all.

Believe it or not, different people have different priorities on what they like in an open-world game.

This fanboyish rivalry created from this thread is really cringe-worthy. I'm embarrassed that somebody pointed this out to a Watch Dog dev and that he felt he should reply to it at all.

and you are not free of that behaviour

Famassu

Good reply from Watch Dogs' creative director. Haven't played SS yet but the first 2 games were two of the most dead open world games I've ever played so it's a fair point.
Well that's just BS. There's plenty of pedestrians & cars driving around in both PS3 infamous games & Festival of Blood who react to what you are doing (well, mostly just running away when shit starts to get down, but also cheering you on or throwing rocks at you & even picking a fight with you) and especially inFamous 2 had plenty of destructable shit in the environments, so the city itself wasn't completely static itself either, but you could destroy some shit. Then there's some random stuff like enemies robbing people, police shootouts, enemy groups wandering around, enemy guard posts etc.

omonimo

Banned
Good reply from Watch Dogs' creative director. Haven't played SS yet but the first 2 games were two of the most dead open world games I've ever played so it's a fair point.
Ah because AC indeed... I want to see Watch Dog what will change knowing them.

Alienous

No, I'm saying let's wait and see how dynamic people perceive Watch Dogs' open world to be.

I've seen nothing that evidences that thus far, other than idiosyncratic behavior on the part of the AI. So, as it stands, is the more dynamic world the one that changes in your eyes and way of navigating as you gain powers, or the one where an NPC drops their phone?

Seanspeed

Banned
No, I'm saying let's wait and see how dynamic people perceive Watch Dogs' open world to be.

I've seen nothing that evidences that thus far, other than idiosyncratic behavior on the part of the AI. So, as it stands, is the more dynamic world the one that changes in your eyes and way of navigating as you gain power, or the one where an NPC drops their phone?
It sounds like you're being super fair here with those examples. I'm sure it wont be a massive waste of my time discussing this with you...

EDIT: I'm not taking sides. I'd like to see more of Watch Dogs before I'm sold on its open-world aspects as well. Personally, I like open worlds where its fun to go and explore. So really, neither of these games seem to be 'my' sort of thing at the moment.

McLovin

I don't think its fair to compare them. Sucker Punch only had to worry about the ps4, UBI had to get it running on PS3/360/XO/PS4 and even worked on a Wii U version. I don't think its fair to expect them to match them graphically. I'm more upset about the downgrades, but at the same time, everyone does it.

SJRB

Gold Member
This thread is something else. I don't even understand why a comparison must be made in the first place, the two games are fundamentally different on pretty much every aspect.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

to me it is clear cut. You may have reasons why a game doesn't look as good, but SS is clearly a cut above watch dogs visually, regardless of the reason.

d9b

Banned
It sounds like you're being super fair here with those examples. I'm sure it wont be a massive waste of my time discussing this with you...

ibtvhCrfd56P9z.gif

How about you tone it down a little. You don't like this thread and you are embarrassed by it? Fine. Stop participating. There's other threads and topics here too.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This thread is something else. I don't even understand why a comparison must be made in the first place, the two games are fundamentally different on pretty much every aspect.
Everything gets compared all the time and both are open world games set in a city.

It's not really fundamentally different like for example Titanfall and Paper Mario RPG.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Holy shit, Infamous actually looks this good? Wow. This is probably the best looking 'next-gen' game yet.

And this is open world. Think of the difference between uncharted and infamous on the ps3. Pretty excited to see what devs can come up with on the hardware.

Famassu

Personally, I like open worlds where its fun to go and explore. So really, neither of these games seem to be 'my' sort of thing at the moment.
Umm... inFamous is a lot about the joy of traversal, climbing to those high buildings and finding cool vistas. I found those enjoyable in previous games (though, I understand there are also people who didn't like jumping up buildings) and they've just improved travelsal so much that it will probably be even more fun in Second Son.

Alienous

As far as I'm aware those are the aspects they have that are unique in the open world genre. They both, for instance, have pedestrians that act differently towards you based on your actions. Discussing that results in a moot point.

I am being fair. If there are features in Watch Dogs that example it's dynamic nature more than the one I mentioned, I don't know about it. But if a Watch Dogs representative wants to entertain a fairly ridiculous comparison, I am just giving my view. Heck, maybe a tree grows from an acorn that you planted in real-time as you play Watch Dogs, but I can only compare known elements.

Seanspeed

Banned
I mean you have been banned before, so it's not like this is some left field retort.

For the record: I also think this thread is based around a stupid premise.
I've been banned for several different things. But never for hyping a game at the expense of another(or of being a fanboy in general).

Au{R}oN

Banned

comparing 2 old PS3 games with a supposed next-gen game.

what a retarded guy.

Cyberia

I think it's about how cohesive the visuals are. The simulations elements, reflections in puddles, illumination from his pretty particles, it all looks like it's at the same quality if that make sense.

A lot of games have oddly stand out elements, the obvious one is water, people will always say "the water is incredible" or "the water looked like shit", fire is another thing. InFamous' technical and artistic aesthetic is so caringly presented, it's really very impressive.

It's also very surprising to me. I really love InFamous 2, I think it was second only to TLoU in Sony's retail games last generation, and it was a technically impressive game for being open world, but it's not even close to the artistic achievement SS is. I wonder if they've got new art people.

Horia Dociu joined the team as the new art director back in December 2011. Formerly he worked at FuturePoly (as an Concept Art Instructor), Arenanet (Guild Wars 2) and Valve (Half-Life 2's enviroment artist).

You talking about Gies? I saw a tweet saying he's not reviewing it for Polygon.
He did mention that he's been playing it, but "half thinking of titans."
Gotta love the Titanfall drop. lol

He can't tear himself away from Titanfall, but Titanfall might tear itself away from him.

RulkezX

comparing 2 old PS3 games with a supposed next-gen game.

what a retarded guy.

I'm not holding my breath that Ubi's production line development will manage to create a living world, especially when they've failed to do so with numerous open world games during last gen.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The great thing about Infamous:SS and Watch_Dogs is that you can perfectly well enjoy the one game in March/April and the other game in May/June.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Why are you guys always fretting over Gies?

Just laugh at his inconsistency and hilarious missteps when it comes to for example defending EA and online servers but this angst over reviews and such is so silly.

I will buy both because Sucker Punch and Ubisoft Montreal have made games that I have enjoyed in the past. I can not guarantee that I will enjoy these games, but the possibility is there. ;-)

Kade

Why are you guys always fretting over Gies?

His opinions are detrimental to the enjoyment of video games for some. Why? I'm not sure but it seems like there's a group of people constantly thinking "what does Arthur Gies think about this video game I like?".

Doesn't seem like a healthy way to live life.

Yeah he's rude, but the hell it's the point in his favour to define the past Infamous a dead world to justify the difference between Watch Dog & the incoming Infamous? It's stupid. AC too had the exactly dead world of Infamous 1/2.

The Watch Dogs guy never said Infamous games are dead; the poster who quoted it did.

KoopaTheCasual

The great thing about Infamous:SS and Watch_Dogs is that you can perfectly well enjoy the one game in March/April and the other game in May/June.
Impossible, we must do battle right now for no raisin.

im pretty sure this thread was just a stealth attempt to show people how upgraded Second Son looks in retail. And apparently it worked

RetroStu

Banned
1780161_10152291956294630_1247326034_o.jpg

I think if you take into account the fact that this game is open world, i honestly think this is one of if not the best looking game i have ever seen yet. It looks as good as Crysis 3 on PC and that is linear as you can get.

The only thing i don't like about the graphics is the hud which looks cheap and like graffiti or something (maybe thats the point). I like the hud in the older games like the electric energy thing that you upgraded over time, it looks cheap in this game. I also don't like the 3D map although i can't remember if it was like that in the older games.

Also are there blast shards in this?, i liked collecting them in the older games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom