• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Discussion (12/2016 trailer)

So the toy baby that got to Mads

Near Toros feet it got grabbed by one of the tentacles, thats why it suddenly started being pulled towards Mads.

Also around Mads in the water are a ton of tentacles. Possibly converging on him?

Also red glow from Mads helmet/goggles/cables disappearing might be related to glow on baby. The soldiers are chained to him like guard dogs.

Cool. Didn't realize Cerny was involved before.

This trailer was awesome. Something about it just really resonated with me. I just loved how everything looked. The music and everythkng about it just gave me creepy vibes in a good way.

Those skull faced soldiers were definitely cool looking.

Is this some kind of alien invasion?

Ok, I know I'm up for a paddling by saying this as Kojima is some sort of gaming folk hero for many these days, but I just don't get it. I could never really get into MGS as it generally just grated on me with it's uber weirdness and rambly nature, and honestly Death Stranding just looks like a series of random events which so far doesn't, and probably never will, make much sense.

Kojima has some crazy ideas, I'm with you there, but while many take it as some sort of genius, I honestly just see it as unfocused weirdness.

I understand that I'm in the minority here and this probably won't go down that well, and I truly hope that Death Stranding turns out to be an amazing gaming experience as I'm always down for that, but I won't be holding my breath.

Is anyone else on the same page or am I just an idiot?

Menthuss

Interesting how the soldiers, tanks and planes make it seem WW2 themed and then Mikkelsen's character comes in with modern gear.

cyp7drduuaaaxiw7qsv4.jpg

cyp7drcuuaaxo4z2msp8.jpg

The guy between Kojima and Herman in the last shot is Kyle Cooper. His company has handled the title sequences in Kojima's games since MGS2.

Ratrat

Ok, I know I'm up for a paddling by saying this as Kojima is some sort of gaming folk hero for many these days, but I just don't get it. I could never really get into MGS as it generally just grated on me with it's uber weirdness and rambly nature, and honestly Death Stranding just looks like a series of random events which so far doesn't, and probably never will, make much sense.

Kojima has some crazy ideas, I'm with you there, but while many take it as some sort of genius, I honestly just see it as unfocused weirdness.

I understand that I'm in the minority here and this probably won't go down that well, and I truly hope that Death Stranding turns out to be an amazing gaming experience as I'm always down for that, but I won't be holding my breath.

Is anyone else on the same page or am I just an idiot?
He isnt a sacred calf. The MGSV threads were going hard on him. There was a ton of backlash with MGS2&4 as well. No, you're not particularly unique.

He isnt a sacred calf. The MGSV threads were going hard on him. There was a ton of backlash with MGS2&4 as well. No, you're not particularly unique.

OK, I mean I'm not trying to make myself feel special, if anything I feel kind of ripped off as I'm missing out on a ton of hype.

hughesta

Banned
The cords going from Mads into the soldiers reminded me of the power cables in Evangelion. Wonder if he supplies power to them somehow, and if they can operate at full capacity only for a limited time when severed from him.

Wonder if the player character can do the same thing.

J-Skee

Gonna roll with Shinobi & say it's Guerilla's engine. Herman Hulst chilling with Kojima & him also liking a bunch of stuff on Twitter makes it seem so. Or maybe it really is Sucker Punches engine, who knows.

Kazuhira

A nod to big boss when Mads takes off his night vision googles :)
Anyway,i'm really obsessed with Mikkelsen after watching Hannibal so this is pure win for me.

Damn. What a great end the to true self indulgence era of games. About a 100 million down the drain. Seriously who is this for?

I love how EVERYTHING feels deliberate and important. Dude is a treasure.

Cool. Didn't realize Cerny was involved before.

This trailer was awesome. Something about it just really resonated with me. I just loved how everything looked. The music and everythkng about it just gave me creepy vibes in a good way.

Those skull faced soldiers were definitely cool looking.

Is this some kind of alien invasion?

I assumed it's his take on purgatory or something.

That music when Mads and his soldiers come down the sewer, so good (a nice feel of Tron Legacy/Daft Punk).

That company in that photo. Herman Hulst's made it, heh :)
Can't wait for Horizon

A nod to big boss when Mads takes off his night vision googles :)
Anyway,i'm really obsessed with Mikkelsen after watching Hannibal so this is pure win for me.

Yeah.

Coreda

Liking it.

Damn. What a great end the to true self indulgence era of games. About a 100 million down the drain. Seriously who is this for?

What are you actually judging this trailer by, the fact there's no gameplay featured like most games at this stage of production, or that you didn't find the trailer interesting?

For a....lot of people? The Metal Gear series has been weird as hell forever and has sold millions and millions of copies. There is nothing preventing that from happening here

.JayZii

Banned
Eugenics, child soldiers and dreamlike imagery mixed with military fetishism.

How far we've come.
More boring-er, please.

...you think a 4 minute trailer cost $100 million dollars?

No? Really? Enjoy your ignorance. As much as you want this one to be a winner it isn't gonna happen. Remember the strong Kojima game that just failed? This is that - just new and bigger and more expensuve. Not enough people care.

You were selfish and precious. & lost.

cyp7drduuaaaxiw7qsv4.jpg

cyp7drcuuaaxo4z2msp8.jpg

The guy between Kojima and Herman in the last shot is Kyle Cooper. His company has handled the title sequences in Kojima's games since MGS2.

So this means this is really Guerilla's engine after all?

Edit: I couldn't find the tweet for the second pic. Is it new?

I don't even know what genre this game is, how it plays, or what ever... but day 1.

This stuff looks so fucking rad.
Expect some pretty extreme horror elements. Kojima never shied away from using pretty scary supernatural stuff/opponents and creepy undead enemies in his games (e.g. The Sorrow fight in MGS3 or the de facto zombies in MGS4), but now that he is unshackled from the whole Espionage/mostly grounded in reality setting he can go full out.

What I think having seen the trailer:
I think this has to either be a Evil Within style nightmare setting where everything happens in the characters minds, take place in alternative/mixed universes or timelines or involve some sort of time travel. BOW gone wrong or alien parasitic life form sounds good, but alone doesn't explain the following:

The planes (dunno, are those Mustangs/Wild Cats?), tanks (either a Wolverine or Hellcat Tank Destroyer) and the soldiers (US Paratroopers with full D-Day parachute equipment/uniform) are straight from the D-Day and the following days after the Allied landing, so the ruined city and the seaside location has to be somewhere on the coast of Normandy (fitting with the destruction and sirens).

Meanwhile Mads and Del Torro are clearly running around in modern clothing, likely from a near future setting (Mads M4 Assault Rifle with rather futuristic attachements and Toro's "Bridges - Free Cities of America" badge), not unlike MGS4.

Extremely hyped, I always loved horror and especially the kind that involves mutation and corruption of humans and machines into undead, parasitic versions that only want to wipe everyone out or infect them, Sidonia no Kishi/Knights of Sidonia or Flood style. This fills the bill nicely. Seeing how the skeleton paratroopers interacted with each other in such a humanlike way as if they were still alive (with one putting his arm on the undead trooper kneeling in front of him to stabilize each other while covering the tunnels) is extremely eerie and creepy.

Ratrat

OK, I mean I'm not trying to make myself feel special, if anything I feel kind of ripped off as I'm missing out on a ton of hype.
Personally, I dont think Kojima's games would be liked as much if they didn't come with solid to outstanding gameplay. I'm not particularly excited for Death Strandings story as much as everything else in the game. Its not going to be mere clone of other TPS's.

Top Bottom