• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deep Silver publishing Persona 5, SMT4A, 7th Dragon (& more Sega/Atlus games?) in EU

Menitta

That makes 3 (at least that I know of) upcoming games Atlus is publishing in NA that Deep Silver is publishing in EU. I hope they keep this up.

wrowa

Ironically enough, Koch Media (= Deep Silver) is the German (or European? I don't know) distributor of Sega.

Anyway, I'm more than fine with this. I actually have more faith in Deep Silver/Koch than I have in Sega, so this strikes me as an unexpectedly good outcome. Sounds like they are trying to establish a longer-lasting relationship with Atlus as well. Maybe Deep Silver will actually manage to get the games out somewhat quicker than NISA.

Tizoc

True and they do a great job with the PC market. I'm talking here from a console/Yakuza fan point of view :p

I'm starting to believe they may very well have the most strict NDA if nothing about their projects are being leaked or the like.

KLoWn

YEEESS!!! SMT IV Final! There is justice in this world!
dancingfatkid3on-1.gif

Obviously I'm stoked for Persona 5 too, but I never doubted that it would get here eventually.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So did Sega Europe shut down their non-PC publishing arm at some point? The Sega statement implies they don't really have the staff or relationships to work with European retailers anymore.

Setsu00

I'm not going to go and count it as a relief until we know a release date

Same here. I also hope that they're still bringing over the PS3 version of P5.

But it's good to know that things are starting to look a bit brighter again after the NISA debacle.

Bl@de

Nice. PC release confirmed then
I kid, I kid

Gives me hope for a close release to the NA version.

Zafir

Ironically enough, Koch Media (= Deep Silver) is the German (or European? I don't know) distributor of Sega.

Anyway, I'm more than fine with this. I actually have more faith in Deep Silver/Koch than I have in Sega, so this strikes me as an unexpectedly good outcome. Sounds like they are trying to establish a longer-lasting relationship with Atlus as well. Maybe Deep Silver will actually manage to get the games out somewhat quicker than NISA.

They're the distributor for a lot of companies in Europe. I imagine it's significantly cheaper than trying to do it all yourself.

Kuni

Yeah I called this.

Recently it seems quite a few JPN companies are jumping into bed with Koch so Sega could just be aligning with this, for example Valkyria Chronicles Remastered.

Assuming this is all just Koch ofc since they own Deep Silver.

I don't understand why Sega won't just publish it themselves. Makes no sense.

Regional biz divisions that are run relatively independently have their own decision making say, and SEGA Europe has effectively decided it's not worth it. That's all there is to it.

This is basically Demons Souls or Mister Mosquito all over again.

aravuus

Oh thank god, at least it's coming then

Still gonna import if it's super late compared to the US release though

Oh thank god, at least it's coming then

Still gonna import if it's super late compared to the US release though

I'd be surprised if it is late tbh. They'd want to start this partnership with a bang, and a WW release would be that.

believe

Pouh

Didnt deep silver also publish catherine ? And that game took like a year to get to the EU.
Nice! They also published Catherine in Europe. The bad thing about this is that it took 'em 7 months to do so. Well, 7 months is a lot better than the time it would take Atlus (or SEGA) to publish it in Europe.
But Catherine was translated into FIGS, so the delay was "justified".

So, is there a possibilty that Persona 5 is coming to Europe on valentines day
?

No really, can there be a possible simultaneous release with NA ? Because fuck, there won't be any localization beyond english.

I think I'll buy KOF now just to support these guys.

I can't thank them enough
So, is there a possibilty that Persona 5 is coming to Europe on valentines day
?

No really, can there be a possible simultaneous release with NA ? Because fuck, there won't be any localization beyond english.

My prediction is either within weeks of NA english only or a few months later with EFIGS.

Omikaru

So did Sega Europe shut down their non-PC publishing arm at some point? The Sega statement implies they don't really have the staff or relationships to work with European retailers anymore.

Seems like it, but it must've been very recent; Sega Europe have had retail releases as recently as May (Valkyria Chronicles on PS4), though that was distributed by Koch Media (aka Deep Silver's parent company). At any rate, it seems like Sega America is just side-stepping Sega Europe and dealing directly with Koch/Deep Silver. Or maybe this is just a new strategy for Sega as a whole, with their European arm now 100% focussed on PC digital games, with Sega of America in charge of handling their European and North American console/localised releases (and as such, handing their EU releases over to Koch for obvious reasons).

Regardless, this strikes me as a better deal for EU players, really, as Sega Europe tended to cherry pick which Sega America localisations they would publish. Deep Silver seem more willing to pick up the games that Sega Europe wouldn't (i.e. 7th Dragon), so hopefully this bodes well for the future.

This deal might also explain NISA's rather acrimonious split with Atlus in Europe too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
One of the biggest JRPGs outside of FF... We'll just let someone else publish it in the EU.

Sega and Atlas logic.
Tbf that's not saying much once you get past Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Souls, and Yokai Watch, even if we're including Japan.

We're at what, a few hundred thousand in Europe by then? And they'd have to maintain physical distribution in a bunch of countries to handle these rare products?

Saoshyant

Think I'll still pick up the US version.

Why? The only thing that would do is prove right whatever suits said "retail console games are dead in Europe, let someone else do it so they eat the losses". I think Deep Silver should be supported for bringing us the games. Yes, even in spite of some very dumb marketing moves they have done in the past.

Could they be handling Yakuza 0 as well? I feel like they would be.

At this point it seems very likely that it will happen.

It would be really dumb of DS to miss on the Persona 5 launch hype. They need to get this out within a week of to US release. And I believe in you guys.

Not that it matters for me. I'll buy it from the PSN, but a physical disc would be nice.

Ascheroth

I can't believe that SEGA Europe can't be arsed to publish themselves. Or, you know, port shit to PC to, you know, reach their audience. Valkyria did OK, imagine what a new game could do.

They did say some ports were coming after VC.
After which they ported Sonic Lost World a year after.

If the trend continues we should get one Sega non-sonic port this November.
Then another Sonic game a year after that. And so on.

We'll get there slowly :p

Tbf that's not saying much once you get past Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Souls, and Yokai Watch, even if we're including Japan.

We're at what, a few hundred thousand in Europe by then? And they'd have to maintain physical distribution in a bunch of countries to handle these rare products?

Their PC games still get physical releases in Europe anyway, so they need distribution partners in any case

Regional biz divisions that are run relatively independently have their own decision making say, and SEGA Europe has effectively decided it's not worth it. That's all there is to it.

This is basically Demons Souls or Mister Mosquito all over again.

I understand these different regional divisions operate separately from one another, but this is Persona 5 we're talking about here. The game will be a guaranteed critical smash and, potentially, the installment to propel the franchise from its niche bracket and into a broader market. This isn't some risk on the level of a Demon's Souls, where Sony somewhat understandably assumed that the game would sink without a trace outside of Japan. Persona is an established franchise, and the buzz surrounding 5 is on a far bigger scale compared to what's come before.

I just find it baffling. It really makes Sega look like some small time publisher now.

Top Bottom