• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeNa/Nintendo Account system announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are DenA expected to handle these accounts on a global level, or just Japan? Should we expect a similar announcement for users in the US/Europe/Rest of Asia....etc?

samn

Why do people think this means they will have the ease of logging in on multiple Nintendo devices?

Nintendo are already capable of doing this. They already have an account system. The problem is they only allow it to be registered to one console at a time because they are worried about people sharing their games. This isn't a technical limitation.

I think Nintendo have another Wii U in misinformation. They call it a membership service, not an account. That should really set you expectations as to what this will and won't do.

Is this replacing NNID or is this in addition to it?

Or separate?

There is a lot of clarity needed on all this which we likely wont get till 2016
Currently it sounds like an addition to me as in link to NNID like you did Club Nintendo.

E-phonk

Banned
Are DenA expected to handle these accounts on a global level, or just Japan? Should we expect a similar announcement for users in the US/Europe/Rest of Asia....etc?

Global. Press conference was live translated in EN.

Currently it sounds like an addition to me as in link to NNID like you did Club Nintendo.

You use your NNID to identify yourself amongst different nintendo services. Be it the eshop or miiverse.
DeNa will help nintendo build this infrastructure where you can access everything with the same NNID. Compare what DeNa will build with Battle.NET. Different games/consoles/apps/websites will use your NNID - and all will contain the same global profile about that user.

I also assume they will help Nintendo build the "Nintendo App" for mobile, while Nintendo will build the 3DS/WiiU/NX equivalent.

That is not my point. My point is that there is no mention of the QOL platform for the membership service specifically, while every single other platform is mentioned.

It is interesting to note that.

True that it isn't mentioned, although it's reasonable to assume they will use the same architecture behind the scenes. It would be strange to build a specific account system for QoL after such a huge operation to unify everything. I assume they don't mention it yet to keep the message simple(r), which seems already very complicated for people to grasp.

Madouu

They're not going to talk about QOL in a conference related to services for their gaming platforms.

That is not my point. My point is that there is no mention of the QOL platform for the membership service specifically, while every single other platform is mentioned.

It is interesting to note that. It is especially surprising since Iwata has already mentioned previously regarding QOL that he wants it to be another way for people to discover Nintendo software, so excluding it from this membership service is weird to me.

gemoran4

Does that mean if i break my 3DS i can re-download my digital games for free?

Well as someone who had this exact situation happen 2 months ago, for me I was already able to do this (albeit with a lot of hassle). My 3ds broke so i ended up buying a 3ds XL (I wanted an excuse to buy one anyways) and called up Nintendo to do a system transfer.

After 30-40 minutes of pain and torture with them, i finally get to the part of transferring content. They were able to transfer my NNID, but said that they couldn't transfer the games/saves. The reason was because i couldn't recall all the games that i purchased digitally for the device (which i felt was a bs way to verify since i have like 40 games digitally on it, hadn't played in over a year and my memory sucks so i couldn't recall every game i had bought on the spot).

So I went to the eshop to buy shovel knight again, and lo and behold it said i already purchased it on this account and i could redownload for free. Granted I lost my saves, and it was still a huge pain in the ass but it seems like you can at least redownload your games if you transfer the NNID to your replacement 3ds. Also I learned that I think even Nintendo customer service has no clue how any of this crap works.

Stulaw

Well as someone who had this exact situation happen 2 months ago, for me I was already able to do this (albeit with a lot of hassle). My 3ds broke so i ended up buying a 3ds XL (I wanted an excuse to buy one anyways) and called up Nintendo to do a system transfer.

After 30-40 minutes of pain and torture with them, i finally get to the part of transferring content. They were able to transfer my NNID, but said that they couldn't transfer the games/saves. The reason was because i couldn't recall all the games that i purchased digitally for the device (which i felt was a bs way to verify since i have like 40 games digitally on it, hadn't played in over a year and my memory sucks so i couldn't recall every game i had bought on the spot).

So I went to the eshop to buy shovel knight again, and lo and behold it said i already purchased it on this account and i could redownload for free. Granted I lost my saves, and it was still a huge pain in the ass but it seems like you can at least redownload your games if you transfer the NNID to your replacement 3ds. Also I learned that I think even Nintendo customer service has no clue how any of this crap works.

They only ask for the last 3 games you purchased, at least in the UK that is, The phone call was over in 20 minutes for me when I did mine.

samn

Are we sure it isn't? This is, after all, the company whose idea of crossbuy is giving you a download code usable on any system, rather than automating it through the shared NNID.

I have purchased cross-buy games that register on both systems automatically.

The code is so you can give it to someone else if you don't have the other console - in fact Iwata suggested people do this.

LoveCake

It has taken Nintendo long enough not sure why they have outsourced it though, maybe so they can blame them if people get hacked/scammed like what happened with PSN.

I still won't be storing my credit card details with them, i wouldn't if it were Nintendo either.

I knew it. This DeNA deal more than anything is for their expertise in mobile connectivity. They have the biggest social platform in Japan on mobiles with Mobage, Nintendo wants those servers and knowledge on how to handle them.

Hooray for an universal account system!

entremet

Oh fucking god yes

Not gonna repeat talking about my quest to get my digital games back from Nintendo UK and their shitty, terrible customer service, but please...anyone else is better.

Did they say it's gonna effect previous purchases?

This seems more like a CN replacement?

georly

yes.

they tried

Oh fucking god yes

Not gonna repeat talking about my quest to get my digital games back from Nintendo UK and their shitty, terrible customer service, but please...anyone else is better.

Didn't nintendo let another company handle TVii? How did that turn out? :p

Just because another company is doing it, doesn't mean nintendo won't mess it up somehow. Still apprehensive about it, but I hope for the best.

The last time Nintendo contracted out for online services they chose Gamespy

That too. We can hope for the best, but it doesn't mean we'll get it. That said, a struggling nintendo is a strong nintendo. A nintendo willing to do what it takes to get stuff done. Let's see what this becomes. I'd love my virtual console purchases to transfer to a new system, and if this facilitates that, then so be it.

TheJoRu

Whether their new endeavours will work out or not this to me is Nintendo fully decided on what they want to do; with a clear strategy and very much forward-thinking. I'm on-board, and unified services for all their entertainment products is exactly what they should be doing (or to be blunt: should've already done).

Ridley327

One mistake doesn't make a trend. Let's just hope, they learned from this (at least Nintendo bought some stocks of the company).

It's a bit of a misnomer to put the blame entirely on Gamespy, since all they provided was the general service. The back end stuff, like friend codes, was all handled by Nintendo.

Fucking yes.

I may even switch to digital only (like I do with Xbox One) if this is on-par with PSN / Xbox Live / Steam, and doesn't have any game-breaking weird shit mixed in. And virtual console games. I'll be buying a shit ton of virtual console games.

gemoran4

They only ask for the last 3 games you purchased, at least in the UK that is, The phone call was over in 20 minutes for me when I did mine.

Yeah mine was in the US, and i wish that was all i had to do. The guy said to list them all off so i got about 15-20 games in and started to blank. It turned out not to be a big deal though since ultimately i was able to redownload them, albeit without save data (which i had kind of anticipated from the start so it wasn't a big deal for me)

Banned
Nintendo doing it right. They know they lack the resources to properly manage an online account system. Well done. Shame I have to wait for fall 2015. Oh well. It'll be ready day one with the next console.

VegiHam

This is interesting but it's too early to really say anything interesting yet. I'll wait and see how this pans out

...actually that's kinda how I feel about all this morning's news.

This is interesting but it's too early to really say anything interesting yet. I'll wait and see how this pans out

...actually that's kinda how I feel about all this morning's news.

Well, it was basically news of news. We still don't know almost anything yet -_-

Mr-Joker

Banned
We're still waiting for details, right? Like if this will absorb the Nintendo Network or supersede it or what

I just hope that it just absorb the NNID as I don't want to waste time having set up a new account.

Thank goodness, now some Nintendo fans can stop lying to themselves and others about Nintendo having an account system.

They aren't lying, Nintendo does have an account system. It's just archaic in how you recover your digital titles since the account is locked to the system.

I wonder if Nintendo will charge for online too?

Hope not and honestly I don't think that they will.

Does that mean if i break my 3DS i can re-download my digital games for free?

You can already do that, though again it's archaic it requires you phoning Nintendo. But the new account system should hopefully remove the middle man.

EhoaVash

This will most likely be part of their new membership program.. I bet it will be part of a new subscription model like PS+ ..it will be optional on Wii u and 3ds but for NX it will probably mandatory to play online :d

jmizzal

Great news, even tho I had no issues with my WiiU yet, if something like what happened with my Xbox one which crapped out after 3 days were to happen I would have had to jump thru too many hoops to get all my games back to my new system, all I had to do was log in and download my games back on my new xbox one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom