• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeNa/Nintendo Account system announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It doesn't say Unified Account system, it says Online Membership Service. The thread title and OP are saying two different things.

How the fuck is DeNa going to develop a unified account system that everyone wants when they have to tie purchases to devices like iPhones whose apps and Micro transactions go through their proprietary app store.

At most you are going to get some gimped as fuck shit like Apple's Gamecenter, that tracks garbage achievements.

Khaz

Will it allow me to change country in my NNID though? I moved countries (within Europe) and I can't use my local eShop because my NNID is tied to my old country with its weird currency and strange choice of games.

Neff

If they go the way of Sony and MS in allowing several multi-region accounts/compatibility for the same piece of hardware, then this could be very special.

Region free retail is something I've never really cared about, but region free DD absolutely is, mostly because of the EU 50hz VC issue.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Watch it cost money. But if that's what it takes to make Nintendo online a viable thing then, by all means.

Lunar15

It's funny to me how this is probably the most interesting announcement to me, yet it's the thread with the least posts.

I'm curious about how it's all going to work, but goddamn I've been wanting some kind of unified Nintendo account for ages.

CTLance

There's a whole lot of optimistic guys on here. I'm not one to trust DeNA with basically anything net related. Last time I tried (admittedly, some years ago, and not seriously) they were big into GeoIP locking and delivering decidedly second tier content/support outside of Japan. Was a pretty assy experience, game quality aside.

Oh well. I guess it's better to hope for the best and expect the worst than to spend the days until launch as a ball of concentrated angst. Don't let me down, NintenDeNA.

Shito

It doesn't say Unified Account system, it says Online Membership Service. The thread title and OP are saying two different things.

How the fuck is DeNa going to develop a unified account system that everyone wants when they have to tie purchases to devices like iPhones whose apps and Micro transactions go through their proprietary app store.

At most you are going to get some gimped as fuck shit like Apple's Gamecenter, that tracks garbage achievements.
Yep, a lot of people in this thread are in for a huge disappointment.
I don't see anything in this news pointing in the direction of a unified account system at all. This will be a service on top of NNID I bet.

Am I the only one who reads that as basically Nintendo is going to develop a new website with DeNA that has a custom app on WiiU/3DS that will probably let you look at themes or backgrounds or something but have no actual integration with Nintendo Network IDs or login mechanisms for 3DS/Wii U?

Especially if its launching in the fall, that seems way too optimistic for people to think they are somehow going to rewrite all their core login, eshop, and account systems to migrate from their current systems to a new unified system.

One mistake doesn't make a trend. Let's just hope, they learned from this (at least Nintendo bought some stocks of the company).
Why was Gamespy a mistake? They seemed like the best people for the job in 2005.

Will it allow me to change country in my NNID though? I moved countries (within Europe) and I can't use my local eShop because my NNID is tied to my old country with its weird currency and strange choice of games.
I doubt it as that is a terrible feature of NNID (it was part of the terms you agreed to upon making it) and this membership scheme sounds like it is going to exist alongside it and is basically an NNID analogue for non-Nintendo devices (signing into a Nintendo Network ID on an iPhone wouldn't make sense as you're not using the Nintendo Network).

If you're Wii U just make another user.
If you're on 3DS. The shitty implementation of NNID claims another victim. Hope you enjoyed youtube and steel diver sub wars.

casiopao

.............. I actually kinda see this is more than what it meets in eyes. It can even be the solution for the problem that many mention here on people playing free game will never eva play 40 bucks game here so this is a bad move.

What if this account program does not function only as simple account system but it had many other feature?
Like if the mobile player had played the game for more like 100 hours(ads money or from microtransaction) Ninty is going to give some free title(digitally) on their handhelds or even consoles.This way, Ninty is actually trying to entice those smartphone gamers to come to their gaming ecosystem. I mean the word FREE is powerful on smartphone. It can also be powerful to make people go into their ecosystem. This will kinda decrease the problem high cost barrier which Iwata mention before where even with all the quality, sometimes Free is just more powerful.

That way, they are going to get both brand awareness but also some new gamer coming looking for new experience for cheaper price or even some who wanted to try more Ninty classic great gaming experience.

What do other Gaffers think here? Is this a nice plan or is it a bad plan?

L Thammy

My concern is this. Nintendo currently has the technical capacity to allow for account transfers, since they've done it for people who call. But they just haven't allowed customers to use that feature themselves. Surely they must be aware of the customer service man-hours that are used on simple things that the user can do. We also know that their system supports cross-buy, but we don't have that either. I don't think their account issues are a matter of technical incompetence, but of strategies that assume that all of their customers are untrustworthy.

So unless Nintendo's given DeNA the keys to the castle, so to speak, I don't see why this partnership suddenly means that they've changed their paranoid ways.

DizzyCrow

.............. I actually kinda see this is more than what it meets in eyes. It can even be the solution for the problem that many mention here on people playing free game will never eva play 40 bucks game here so this is a bad move.

What if this account program does not function only as simple account system but it had many other feature?
Like if the mobile player had played the game for more like 100 hours(ads money or from microtransaction) Ninty is going to give some free title(digitally) on their handhelds or even consoles.This way, Ninty is actually trying to entice those smartphone gamers to come to their gaming ecosystem. I mean the word FREE is powerful on smartphone. It can also be powerful to make people go into their ecosystem. This will kinda decrease the problem high cost barrier which Iwata mention before where even with all the quality, sometimes Free is just more powerful.

That way, they are going to get both brand awareness but also some new gamer coming looking for new experience for cheaper price or even some who wanted to try more Ninty classic great gaming experience.

What do other Gaffers think here? Is this a nice plan or is it a bad plan?
Yeah, giving free games just for letting the app running is a wonderful idea.

Now people can stop pretending the shit they do now is an actual account system.

Progress!
I wouldn't get too excited just yet. This is Nintendo, after all. Wait till the implementation. They'll find a way to mess this up or make it different to the industry standard.

Branduil

Better a decade late than never, I suppose.

It's really shameful to have games that are still tied to physical systems.

Jomjom

Banned
This doesn't inspire confidence in me. Why can't they make an account system themselves?

Because they last time they tried we got the garbage we have now. I would trust 3 college grads in a garage more than nintendo to make an account system. They could do much worse than dena.

catmario

With DeNA and Nintendo.... Hmm...

This could be a bad news for import gamers like me. DeNA used to block foreign users via Mobile Phone Verification.

If Nintendo's account system use this, Import gamers gonna rage this. :(

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Of course it's a good thing. Nintendo have realised they can't implement (for whatever reason) what customers want and need.

but who is DeNA and will they be good at it? if it's going to be a wildly japan centric online system i'll stay really skeptical.

Kolma

altered_beast.jpg

Hard to celebrate when Nintendo is involved. They'll find some way to handicap it by making it child friendly.
There's always a catch when it comes to Nintendo's concessions to the internet.

Sorry guys! I am just really waiting for news regarding the new Nintendo account system..

seems to me like this account system might be just for the new cellphone games, not for their main systems.

Of course I'm just speculating, but I wouldn't get excited until we get actual info.

Shiggy

seems to me like this account system might be just for the new cellphone games, not for their main systems.

Of course I'm just speculating, but I wouldn't get excited until we get actual info.

NNIDs will remain for the time being. They can even be used to log into the new membership service.

Tenki

IIRC the account system is going to be across all Nintendo systems and mobile.

Shiggy

IIRC the account system is going to be across all Nintendo systems and mobile.

That is correct. Your purchases will also be linked to the new service if you link your NNID to this new programme. You can already take a look at Club Nintendo EU where they are testing this already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom