• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeNa/Nintendo Account system announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cynic in me thinks: "Remember when Nintendo let GameSpy run their online features on the Wii and DS?"

The realist says: "Nintendo bought 10% of DeNA, so they can fucking roast them alive if this becomes another GameSpy."

The fan in me says: "E3 will be decent this year."

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nintendo, together with DeNA, will jointly develop a new membership service which encompasses the existing Nintendo 3DS and Wii U systems, the new hardware system with a brand-new concept, NX, and smart devices and PCs, and Nintendo will be the primary party to operate this new membership service. Unlike the Club Nintendo membership service that Nintendo has been operating, the new membership service will include multiple devices and create a connection between Nintendo and each individual consumer regardless of the device the consumer uses. This membership will form one of the core elements of the new Nintendo platform that I just mentioned.

From the slides.

So, yeah...this sounds like the successor to Club Nintendo

If this means they're outsourcing to DeNa that hypothetical account system everyone has been waiting for, I do wonder how this will translate to western markets.

From the slides.

So, yeah...this sounds like the successor to Club Nintendo

Iwata mentioned the new system offering royalties like Club Nintendo used to. Whether that is % savings, something like the DDP, exclusive products, and/or more games is yet to be stated.

Are we possibly jumping the gun here?

Could this just be a replacement for Club Nintendo (which, if you think about it, was technically accessible on PC, smart devices and Nintendo hardware) and not a true unified account system for purchases?

Not sure if I've missed anything obvious that has been said to the contrary in the presser, but I'm very much "see it until I believe it" with Nintendo these days.

Are we possibly jumping the gun here?

Could this just be a replacement for Club Nintendo (which, if you think about it, was technically accessible on PC, smart devices and Nintendo hardware) and not a true unified account system for purchases?

Not sure if I've missed anything obvious that has been said to the contrary in the presser, but I'm very much "see it until I believe it" with Nintendo these days.

I doubt Nintendo would enter into a major partnership for something quite that limited. But yeah, we don't know how all encompassing this will be.

Vashetti

Banned
fucking account system, why can't they reuse steam, itunes or google play accounts?

Squidward_headdesk.gif

E-phonk

Banned
My thread was closed, so I'll put the content here:

There is a lot of talk (and confussion) about what was said exactly - but one thing that we know for sure, and that has been talked about for a long time is that Nintendo is working on a mobile "nintendo" app.

When it was first announced, most people here (and elsewhere) saw this as a small thing Nintendo did to silence their shareholders and be available on smart devices. With today announcement and the information that was given in the Q&A and press conference, I think this application is actually much more - it might be the key to nintendo's future (and succes).

If you read the slides they (both Nintendo and DeNa) talked about the challenges of developing for mobile. Please read these first: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2015/150317/index.html

How I see this, but feel free to speculate in this thread - is that Nintendo en DeNa will try to become their own platform owners within the mobile space.

This is what I envision the Nintendo App to be:
- You can use the app on mobile/pc/wiiU/3DS/NX.
- It includes miiverse, and promo about new content
- Connect using your NNID
- Includes promo about upcoming nintendo games.

No surprises here. BUT:
- You get nintendo coins every time you check into the app. It will be named differently, but that will be the idea.
- It's their hub for in-game coins/hearts/jewels etc for all the compatible Nintendo/DeNa games in their F2P environment
- there are bonus incentives for certain tasks / real world purchases.

For example:
- Buy & register Pokemon for NX, receive 500 coins nintendo coins that you can use in nintendo compatible apps.
- Scan in an Amiibo for the first time: 50 nintendo coins that you can use in nintendo compatible apps.

But also the other way around: Win 50 fights in F2P pokemon spinoff game X and get a special pokemon waiting for you in Pokemon for NX. Blizzard does this already for example, if you play Heartstones you can get extra items for WoW.

The real world purchases of software and hardware lead to bonus points/coins/items in the F2P apps for mobile. This also eliminates the big problem that children don't have credit cards. They won't need them - they just need to ask their parents for amiibo's for christmas so they can get advantages in their free F2P games on mobile.

If they can create a "hit" F2P title, they will not only receive the in-game purchases, but also as a benefit encourage people to buy more into the Nintendo eco system. They can even involve third parties (buy Yukai Watch - receive stuff) - and become the platform owner for this eco system on mobile devices.

That's why Iwata said this platform will be the key for their next "system" (codename NX) and what makes this such an important strategic alliance.

Some Iwata / DeNa quotes from today to support this:

I announced Nintendo’s management policy of “more actively utilizing Nintendo IP” and “taking advantage of smart devices” in our Corporate Management Policy Briefing back in January 2014. The endeavors that I am explaining now are in line with these management policies.

On the other hand, if we are to maximize the value of Nintendo IP while the competition to attract consumers’ attention is fierce, we must deliver the value of Nintendo IP in a stress-free fashion to our consumers around the world who are living in varying environments.

This is why Nintendo has decided to utilize smart devices aggressively.

We choose the most appropriate method to try to maximize the number of people who encounter Nintendo IP and, as a result, we will further expand the gaming population. This is our basic strategy.
Among the variety of different communication media, smart devices show outstanding strength when it comes to global use rate, contact frequency and total contact time even though each contact period is short.

I really had to thoroughly consider how we would be able to grow the business by maintaining and nurturing the value of Nintendo IP and what conditions would make that happen, because the value of content can easily be deflated in the digital world and, especially on smart devices, it is not easy to maintain content value since the lifespan tends to be very short as much content is released and then replaced so quickly. We are making these announcements today because we now have Nintendo’s answer to these questions.

Just looking at the fact that several applications that earn great profits are highly visible in the smart device game business, people in general appear to see it as an easy money market. The fact is, however, it is a highly competitive market and only a handful of content providers have been able to show enduring results. If Nintendo cannot make it to that handful of winners, it does not make sense for us to be engaged in the software business on smart devices.

TLDR;
Nintendo and DeNa will try to become a "platform owner" on mobile devices by creating a synergy between Nintendo IP, Nintendo hardware/software and F2P mobile games. Key to this is the announced Nintendo App for mobile.

Dryk

Thank goodness, now some Nintendo fans can stop lying to themselves and others about Nintendo having an account system.
"Nintendo has no account system" is shorthand for "Nintendo has an account system that's complete shit, has no save transfer ability, requires half an hour of phone calls to do anything with and is not guaranteed to allow you to redownload your games on a new system"

Kanann

It will take region locking onto another level

DeNA/Nintendo
- block IP outside service region (Example: Japan)
- security sms confirmation

unholy f__kness
importer may cry

BY2K

Membero Americo

DeNA/Nintendo

unholy f__kness
importer may cry

I didn't know "new account system" meant that.

The fact they've not said something like NNID will become this or lines like that makes it sound like this is something you can link your NNID to so a Club Nintendo replacement in the most literal sense of the word.

It also means that the problems of NNID remain intact (yay :( )

Btw, NNID is essentially the same as the Wii and the 3DS without NNID only now you have something you can log into.

gogogow

DeNA/Nintendo

unholy f__kness
importer may cry

Yeah, they are gonna region lock the service and games when Iwata said they will offer the mobile games globally....... :/

Nanashrew

Banned
Thank goodness, now some Nintendo fans can stop lying to themselves and others about Nintendo having an account system.

Enough of that stupid crap. All of us agreed the account system was poor and you and many others just would not even bother to even listen to what any of us had to say. Many of you called us Nintendo apologists or Nintendo defenders when we all agreed and tried to criticize while ya'll just came in and constantly derailed the threads.

All we did? Try to actually clear up some misinformation for a proper debate and criticism.

Nicktendo86

Only good things from last night. A real push I to mobile to supplement their traditional business, confirmation (as if it was needed) of new hardware and a unified account system. The devil will be in the detail of course bit they seem to have pointed out where they have been going wrong and are taking long thought out plans to rectify.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
online membership is at least better than fucking friend codes

hopefully it's one name, one password. Don't screw it up Nintendo!

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
All I want to know is are we still going to have to repurchase all of our digital Nintendo games again? Because that's crap if we do.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
My personal transcription of the part in the Q&A segment specifically about the membership service

Q: This was mentioned earlier, but I have a question about the membership service. Specifically, what type of services is going to become? Would it be something that can be used on multiple devices, and specifically what it is going to look like. And, also, what is your monetisation system. I'd like to get more specifics about your membership service.

A: Regarding membership service, what I can share with you today is that it will be supported by multiple devices and it'll bridge across the multiple devices. So, the consumers who played on smart devices will be led to dedicated video game devices or if a game play on a certain device can be utilised on a different gaming device or...and, also, information on that: it will start on Fall, and it will feature a royalty (loyalty, maybe?) program that we had on Club Nintendo. Other than that, we need to concrete the framework of the overall service and then we can make a more clear explanation

Yeah this is a good move. They needed a partner for this kind of thing and it makes sense.

I look forward to having a universal account for the nx and whatever else happens in the coming years.

SerTapTap

Ah good, they get a proper account system right as I'm planning to drastically cut back on purchasing anything they ever produce again. Well, hopefully they won't fuck this up.

Choomp

Banned
Yeah this could be good. Since it's coming from outside it's kind of intriguing. Excited to see how this all ends up.

Is this replacing NNID or is this in addition to it?

Or separate?

There is a lot of clarity needed on all this which we likely wont get till 2016

Nanashrew

Banned
The thing is we already knew unified account system was coming and Iwata outlined it a long while ago. And in that he also outlined new ways to sell games and discounting option for those who recommend games or start communities etc., because the current landscape of always selling a game at $50-$60 is very rough these days.

There were hints that Club Nintendo was ending and something else was going to replace it. No one really pays attention or forgets the day after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom