• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve signed by Legendary Pictures to direct DUNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraXzy

It'd been rumored for a while that Legendary Pictures had been courting Sicario and Arrival director Denis Villeneuve for their upcoming Dune reboot. Now in under 140 characters, Brian Herbert (son of Dune author Frank Herbert) has confirmed that the contracts have all been signed, and Villeneuve will be directing.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/01/official-dune-reboot-legendary-pictures-director/

M7okNyh.png

https://twitter.com/DuneAuthor/status/826641857400565760

Feed me to a sandworm if old.

awesome news.

gonna read the book again and rewatch the david lynch movie soon. dude's getting pretty damn ambitious making a sequel to blade runner and tackling dune right after.

plushyp

Denis is an amazing director. Hope an excellent writer is assigned to the project.

Both him and Iñárritu have become directors you just can't ignore.

Shy

They should take the what ever budget they have for this film. And make it a GOT style series instead.

Dune doesn't work as a film (or even a mini series) they've already tried, it's too big.

I don't have any faith this will be a good adaptation. I'm sorry to say.

kyser73

I hope this time they actually stick to the books instead of 'basing' on it.

Lynch, Jodorovsky (potentially) & the TV miniseries all took different approaches but none were cohesive & true to the books.

I'd be happy with 3 90 minute features for each of the three books which make up what is generally known as Dune:

Dune
Muad'Dib
The Prophet

That length would be easy for audiences to digest, would enable each of the stories to breath & allow fora faithful adaptation IMO.

Chuckie

I'm happy this is happening and scared at the same time. So conflicted....

Yeah same here.

I want to see a good Dune but sometimes even wonder if the story is fit for the medium.
I think it is way too much story for a movie anyway. A TV series with multiple seasons seems more appropriate.

duckroll

Yessssssss.

I wonder if he'll pull a True Detective Season 1, or just direct 2 hours like House of Cards.

Oh wait, this is a movie project and not a TV series?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Yessssssss.

I wonder if he'll pull a True Detective Season 1, or just direct 2 hours like House of Cards.

Seems they plan a series of movies

Depends of the success of the first of course

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy shit dude, that's awesome.

- Prisoners
- Enemy
- Sicario
- Arrival
- Blade runner 2049
- Dune

What a list.

Carn82

He needs to do at least four. I want to see a movie made out of God Emperor of Dune.

I think that that book is thematically one of the most interesting, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a way how to make a good movie out of it. They need to beef up Leto pretty much in 'earlier films' to make that work I think.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Yessssssss.

Has Legendary ever done anything besides movies? I think it's just implied that it's a movie series based off that.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Denis must be feeling

uxSbt11.gif

doing his dream project.

I still have to see Arrival, but I am looking forward to this and Blade Runner 2049.

Replicant

Never seen this guy's output before. Prob should start with Sicario since I have the Steelbook.

Edit: wait, I got Prisoners too maybe should start with that since it has Jackman.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
He is a big fan of the books.
I don't think this is a a waste of his talent at all.

A well made Dune movie could be amazing

If they go with one movie, it will most likely be another convoluted mess. Better for a TV series, rather than them deciding to choose if they want to make it more GOT like or SW like.

If they go with multiple movies, it will lock him down for the better part of a decade. Hence a waste of his talent. I would like to see him continuing taking on new projects.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If they go with one movie, it will most likely be another convoluted mess. Better for a TV series, rather than them deciding to choose if they want to make it more GOT like or SW like.

If they go with multiple movies, it will lock him down for the better part of a decade. Hence a waste of his talent. I would like to see him continuing taking on new projects.

But he's such a big fan of the series that I don't think he minds being tied down to Dune for so long.

A longstanding dream of mine is to adapt “Dune,” but it’s a long process to get the rights, and I don’t think I will succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom