• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve signed by Legendary Pictures to direct DUNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nachum00

I dont get it. Why is Nolan demoted? Nolan is still the king IMO.
After I watched Arrival my exact thoughts were "Nolan should take notes". Because Arrival is a great example in how to properly make an emotional, character driven sci-fi film. Not to say Interstellar was terrible, it had some great ideas. But overral it just didn't work for me and felt like it was about an hour too long.

marrec

Banned
Never been as huge a fan of Dune as others in my circle of friends, but it'll still be interesting to see what Denis can bring to it. I just hope he doesn't get stuck making this dusty old franchise for the next decade.

duckroll

After I watched Arrival my exact thoughts were "Nolan should take notes". Because Arrival is a great example in how to properly make an emotional, character driven sci-fi film. Not to say Interstellar was terrible, it had some great ideas. But overral it just didn't work for me and felt like it was about an hour too long.

Is it really comparable? Arrival is a 47 million dollar scifi thriller that made 185 million worldwide. Interstellar is a 165 million dollar scifi blockbuster that made 675 million worldwide. They're not the same types of films for the same demographic.

I'm a new initiate into the Villeneuve cult and I love his work, but Nolan is clearly aiming for very different things these days so I don't think there's anything he can really take notes from here. When Nolan was making stuff like The Prestige (40 million dollar scifi thriller, 109 million worldwide gross), they were emotional character driven films too.

robotrock

Banned
Is it really comparable? Arrival is a 47 million dollar scifi thriller that made 185 million worldwide. Interstellar is a 165 million dollar scifi blockbuster that made 675 million worldwide. They're not the same types of films for the same demographic.

I'm a new initiate into the Villeneuve cult and I love his work, but Nolan is clearly aiming for very different things these days so I don't think there's anything he can really take notes from here. When Nolan was making stuff like The Prestige (40 million dollar scifi thriller, 109 million worldwide gross), they were emotional character driven films too.

While you're right in that Nolan is totally aiming for way different things now, I think he should totally go back to making smaller movies like The Prestige for a bit. His movies doing well financially is all good but nothing has quite hit me since Inception.

Take a look at someone like Gore Verbanski making The Cure for Wellness. I don't actually know how big the budget for that movie is but it must be significantly smaller than the budgets for his three Pirates of the Caribbean movie and The Lone Ranger. Looks like the coolest thing he's done in a while.

duckroll

While you're right in that Nolan is totally aiming for way different things now, I think he should totally go back to making smaller movies like The Prestige for a bit. His movies doing well financially is all good but nothing has quite hit me since Inception.

Take a look at someone like Gore Verbanski making The Cure for Wellness. I don't actually know how big the budget for that movie is but it must be significantly smaller than the budgets for his three Pirates of the Caribbean movie and The Lone Ranger. Looks like the coolest thing he's done in a while.

Sure, I agree, but that's different from saying that Interstellar should take notes from Arrival. Honestly, I feel that if Arrival got any "bigger" in scope, it would end up much like Interstellar and have many of the same problems. The expansion from the original short story it's based on into the Hollywood thriller it is already compromised many of the original themes and made it into something very different, and not necessarily better. It's actually one of Villeneuve's weaker films structure wise.

In general I think Villeneuve is a better filmmaker than Nolan, but I'm also keenly aware that there are realities when it comes to making big films, and audience expectations change, resulting in different filmmaking decisions along the way. I don't think we've really seen Villeneuve deliver a true blockbuster yet. Honestly, I kinda hope we never do. Lol.

Is this going to be a $200M+ budget special effects laden blockbuster?

Pure speculation on my part but a Dune movie in Hollywood in 2017 is going to have at the very least a $125 million budget. Will they be able to recoup that? No idea, but I'm excited by the possibilities.

Number_6

I'm feeling 2 parts instead of 3 now. I don't think Muad'Dib would make a compelling and profitable film all on its own.

Ironic that you should single out that line in particular, since that was an invention of the David Lynch movie. They're very unlikely to refer to any "sleeper" in a new interpretation of the books.

A sleeper is mentioned, when he and his mother escape I think. He doesn't shout about it, and his father has nothing to do with it.

Was hoping Villeneuve would go in a different direction after Arrival and I'm not too optimistic on Dune being successfully adapted to the big screen. Hope it works out though, obviously.

I can't wait for the Fox News bit that inevitably comes about when we get around to 'Dune Messiah'.

Protagonist leading a galaxy wide jihad? I'm sure Bill O'Reilly can run with that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well I hope Villeneuve goes all in on the themes and ideas behind the book. Everything from the white savior angle to the fact its about a gigantic greedy and corrupt empire exploiting the natural resources and people of a desert planet where the main resource is only found. Tie that in with the inhabitants being a weird mixture of Zen and Islam, waging Jihads and all that good stuff and I can't wait to see certain people lose their shit.

Hur dur I ain't watching a movie about no terrorists!

Never seen this guy's films, but I am interested in a new Dune. Please don't run with too many Hollywood tropes...the book's have some profile already, especially compared to most books films are based on. Don't focus group it too much...I enjoyed the David Lynch movie by the way, suitably weird.

duckroll

I'm bot familiar enough with Dune to be particularly excited.

https://variety.com/2016/film/news/...quel-his-way-within-studio-system-1201855955/

Denis Villeneuve said:
I'm always looking for sci-fi material, and it's difficult to find original and strong material that's not just about weaponry. A longstanding dream of mine is to adapt ”Dune," but it's a long process to get the rights, and I don't think I will succeed.

That's all you need to know. This is his dream project.

Also, Modbot says hi.

Another crack at Dune?

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Equal parts excited and nervous for this. Dune is my favorite novel and I love it dearly. I'll quote myself from the old thread when this news was rumored:

Potentially huge news for me. Dune is my favorite novel and I love Villeneuve's work. Deakins would be icing on the cake if they teamed up again but, with Dune, the devil is going to be in the details of the adaptation. I'll continue to eye this project nervously until a writer is chosen, and then go back to full-clench until we see competent casting decisions being made. I'm not sure which of those - screenplay or cast - I'm more skeptical of being handled properly.

In any event, this would be a reassuring start.

Sesha

Blade Runner, and now Dune. He's diving fully into genre movies with sequels and remakes then. Won't be long before he works on a comic book property even though some folks insist he's too good for that.

OldRoutes

Blade Runner, and now Dune. He's diving fully into genre movies with sequels and remakes then. Won't be long before he works on a comic book property even though some folks insist he's too good for that.

1 out of his 7 movies is a sequel, another is a remake. All others are original movies. I don't see your logic, unfortunately.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Hey if Denis wants to make a Saga movie then he should feel free to!

Is it a remake when the source material is another medium? Like would you call Dredd 2012 a remake of Stallone's Dredd, or Jackson's LOTR trilogy remakes of the 1978 movie?

Icolin

Banned
If they go with one movie, it will most likely be another convoluted mess. Better for a TV series, rather than them deciding to choose if they want to make it more GOT like or SW like.

If they go with multiple movies, it will lock him down for the better part of a decade. Hence a waste of his talent. I would like to see him continuing taking on new projects.

Well, it could be like a Nolan Batman situation, where in between the Batman movies he made The Prestige and Inception, instead of the Batman movies consecutively.

...and if you asked me the definitive soundtrack is the one Stéphane Picq made for the Dune video game. The movie and TV ones are much to conventional setting such as Dune.

Holy shit, another human being remembers the first Dune video game. Congratulations on being awesome. A true gem of a game, I need to make a thread about it someday.
But I always play it with the music on mute, fuck that soundtrack.

duckroll

1 out of his 7 movies is a sequel, another is a remake. All others are original movies. I don't see your logic, unfortunately.

Not exactly. In fact, about half of his films aren't "original" in nature. That doesn't take anything away from them, but Villeneuve strikes me as a very smart director who knows what sort of stories he wants to tell, and brings existing material that resonated with him into a film. True life events, a stage play, a novel, a short story. He takes what interests him and translates them to screen. He can do the same with existing franchises as well, as long as the themes interest him.

Pachimari

Does this mean he will direct multiple Dune films, or just the first one and overseeing the rest?

I'm not familiar with Dune at all.

JaseMath

Good first step.

Does this mean he will direct multiple Dune films, or just the first one and overseeing the rest?

I'm not familiar with Dune at all.

At the very least, read Dune. I know there's countless books in the series and I can't speak to their quality since I've never read them, but Dune is easily one of the best books I've ever read.

Pachimari

Good first step.

You should, at the very least, read Dune. I know there's countless books in the series and I can't speak to their quality since I've never read them, but Dune is easily one of the best books I've ever read.

Isn't there a movie I can watch instead? I'm not too hot on reading at the moment, and haven't finished a single novel in the past 15 years.

Snagret

Nah man, Lynch's movie is awesome but also terrible. Never boring tho
Lynch's Dune is a complete mess of a film, a failure on so many levels. It's painfully slow, the acting is stiff, the sets and costume designs are ugly, the writing is corny (especially if you're unfamiliar with the source material). The music ok, but otherwise it fuckin' sucks. It's also a classic example of just lifting scenes and dialogue straight from the source with no consideration for whether or not those scenes work on screen.

David Lynch knew what he was doing when he disowned the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom