• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve signed by Legendary Pictures to direct DUNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

I've never read Dune, but I have seen the other adaptations, and even with DV attached it's hard to be excited for this. Feels like it's old news, and the story isn't interesting anymore.

I know book lovers will tell me how wrong I am, so...go ahead. I'd love to be wrong and have reason to be excited.

Number_6

We've had a good director on a Dune movie before...

This thing needs to either be 4+ hours long or multiple films. Like LOTR multiple films. Two sounds good, film them simultaneously. Three would be better, but more risky.

Weird changes aside, Lynch's Dune moved so slowly--until suddenly it went jarringly fast once Paul was in the desert.

Pluto

I'd be happy with 3 90 minute features for each of the three books which make up what is generally known as Dune:

Dune
Muad'Dib
The Prophet

That length would be easy for audiences to digest, would enable each of the stories to breath & allow fora faithful adaptation IMO.
If they do that the first movie ends with the bad guys winning and the surviving good guys on the run and the second with a dead baby iirc. I'm not sure that's where they want to leave the audience hanging for two years because a lot of them might not be back.

Dune pretty much screams "Make me an HBO series!", I'm worried a movie won't have time for a lot of character motivations, intrigue and talking scenes.

duckroll

Who the fuck cares about a "faithful adaptation" at this point? Villeneuve loves the books, which means he has something he wants to say. Let him say it and it'll be better than any adaptation. I don't want artists adapting works for the sake of being faithful. I watch art for interpretation.

Dougald

Who the fuck cares about a "faithful adaptation" at this point? Villeneuve loves the books, which means he has something he wants to say. Let him say it and it'll be better than any adaptation. I don't want artists adapting works for the sake of being faithful. I watch art for interpretation.

The example I always give of this is the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Every single adaptation of that story is different, and they were almost all written by the author. None of them really suffer for it (except maybe the film, but that was still decent enough). Films aren't books, television or radio, people wishing for a story to be exactly the same and still good are asking the impossible.

On the other end of this spectrum you have Watchmen, which apart from the ending was pretty much the comic book. And it sucked.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah that's what I don't get either, if I read the source material and see an adaptation of it I don't want to see that everything is exactly like in the books but I'd rather see something new and different or vice versa.

eot

Banned
I've never read Dune, but I have seen the other adaptations, and even with DV attached it's hard to be excited for this. Feels like it's old news, and the story isn't interesting anymore.

I know book lovers will tell me how wrong I am, so...go ahead. I'd love to be wrong and have reason to be excited.

I mean, you're already aware of how misguided you come across. No one is excited about this because of the other adaptations, they're excited because Dune is probably the best sci-fi novel ever written. How about you go read it and then come back?

Thank God.

Correct Director: Check

What's left

Good art direction
Good casting
Be as faithful as possible to the essence and lore
Don't try to make a super franchise

If we get all these we might get a good Dune adaptation and a great one
in the extended 3.5 hour version

The original book/story and movie and tv series are all pretty iconic.

I'm not even sure what he can bring to the table, it's like remaking Star Wars

Not really, Lynch's may be iconic as fuck but it's not faithful at all.

The miniseries were a good effort but they were severely limited by their budget, this new Dune deserves some real millions thrown in to make it look beautiful.

The original book/story and movie and tv series are all pretty iconic.

I'm not even sure what he can bring to the table, it's like remaking Star Wars

Iconic? I adore the Lynch movie and really like the tv mini-series but nobody saw those. It's nothing like Star Wars.
All this means is that one of the best directors working today is going to get a gigantic budget at his disposal to adapt one of the best and strangest sci-fi stories ever told. Of course he'll bring something to the table, Villeneuve is the polar opposite of David Lynch.

drumpfharkonnen.jpg

Make Dune great again?

Gaf, is Arrival really that good? I saw that one trailer and felt like I had seen the whole movie but I'm hoping that's not true.

Roussow

I'm not familiar with Dune, but my only disappointment with this news is we aren't going to get a Villeneuve project as crazy as Enemy for a while.

Ricky_R

I'm not familiar with Dune, but my only disappointment with this news is we aren't going to get a Villeneuve project as crazy as Enemy for a while.

I've enjoyed all his movies a lot except Enemy. I couldn't even finish it for some reason and I hardly do that regardless of how slow it may be. Maybe I need to try again, see if it clicks.

Daingurse

Excellent. Currently listening to Children of Dune for the first time, and am really looking forward to this new adapation.

The spice must flow.

shira

Not really, Lynch's may be iconic as fuck but it's not faithful at all.

The miniseries were a good effort but they were severely limited by their budget, this new Dune deserves some real millions thrown in to make it look beautiful.

Iconic? I adore the Lynch movie and really like the tv mini-series but nobody saw those. It's nothing like Star Wars.
All this means is that one of the best directors working today is going to get a gigantic budget at his disposal to adapt one of the best and strangest sci-fi stories ever told. Of course he'll bring something to the table, Villeneuve is the polar opposite of David Lynch.

Is this going to be a $200M+ budget special effects laden blockbuster?

Make Dune great again?

From the end of the book:

The race of humans had felt its own dormancy, sensed itself grown stale and knew now only the need to experience turmoil in which the genes would mingle and the strong new mixtures survive. All humans were alive as an unconscious single organism in this moment, experiencing a kind of sexual heat that could override any barrier.
And Paul saw how futile were any efforts of his to change any smallest bit of this. He had thought to oppose the jihad within himself, but the jihad would be. His legions would rage out from Arrakis even without him. They needed only the legend he already had become. He had shown them the way, given them mastery even over the Guild which must have the spice to exist.

Honestly it's almost prophetic...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom