• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve signed by Legendary Pictures to direct DUNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
Though seeing Miles Teg brought to life
and moving so fast everyone else appear to be at a stand still
would be amazing to see in live action.

You do know people would just claim he is ripping off some superheros or something?

Though people from Dune would be superheros in real world easily...

Greatest science-fiction book ever written, and my personal favorite book. I read it three times in the same summer.
Huh. I read the book (and the series as a whole) more or less every year, but i don't think i've ever read it more than twice during one year.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Dude is also in talks for Cleopatra and has even been approached by the Bond team... It's not necessarily a guarantee that this is what he's doing next.

i hope he doesnt waste his time on a Bond film

he’d kill on Dune... fucking love that book.

Carn82

These books will be hard to adapt. And if I remember right, it's heavily inter-generational. How much compromise will have to be made in order for this to work? I know that being faithful in adapting a published work is a thing, but in this case it might hurt them.

Dune/messiah/children are pretty much Paul's story, but I would guess that they will just focus on Dune and see how that goes. Messiah+Children would make a good sequel and it takes place a few years after as well iirc so production wise it makes sense.

Woorloog

Banned
Dune/messiah/children are pretty much Paul's story, but I would guess that they will just focus on Dune and see how that goes. Messiah+Children would make a good sequel and it takes place a few years after as well iirc so production wise it makes sense.

Messiah takes place 12-14 years after Dune's end, officially 12 but since Herbert made a mistake or two when it comes to character ages, it might actually take place 14 years after Dune's end.

Children takes place 8 years after Messiah. They need to be separate sequels really, can't be mashed up into one.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You do know people would just claim he is ripping off some superheros or something?

Though people from Dune would be superheros in real world easily...

Huh. I read the book (and the series as a whole) more or less every year, but i don't think i've ever read it more than twice during one year.

A big theme of the Dune books and one that Herbert has talked about extensively is humanities love affair of the idea of Super hero's and relying on them to save and rule us and how that is a terrible view.

Author Frank Herbert said in 1979, "The bottom line of the Dune trilogy is: beware of heroes. Much better [to] rely on your own judgment, and your own mistakes."[30] He wrote in 1985, "Dune was aimed at this whole idea of the infallible leader because my view of history says that mistakes made by a leader (or made in a leader's name) are amplified by the numbers who follow without question."[31]

Woorloog

Banned
A big theme of the Dune books and one that Herbert has talked about extensively is humanities love affair of the idea of Super humans and relying on them to save and rule us and how that is a terrible view.

I know. As i understand it, this is one reason John W. Campbell didn't really like Dune Messiah while he loved Dune. Dune sets up Paul as a superman (in a Nietzsche way and literally), and Dune Messiah goes into what's wrong with that.

tenor.gif

Carn82

Messiah takes place 12-14 years after Dune's end, officially 12 but since Herbert made a mistake or two when it comes to character ages, it might actually take place 14 years after Dune's end.

Children takes place 8 years after Messiah. They need to be separate sequels really, can't be mashed up into one.

Ah, thanks. Been 20 years since I read the books, so a bit foggy on the timings, hehe. But I guess messiah/children could be one movie with some proper makeup and less a focus on Paul and make him less physically present.

Number_6

Ah, thanks. Been 20 years since I read the books, so a bit foggy on the timings, hehe But I guess messiah/children could be one movie with some proper makeup and less a focus on Paul and make him less physically present.

Eh. I don't even think Dune should be one movie. Too much going on--it'll feel rushed. Make it two parts.

Or four hours, I guess.

epmode

Is it worth reading the Dune books after the first one? I’ve always heard that they get progressively worse so I never did.

Pachimari

Just downloaded the sample on Kindle for Dune. Never ever seen anything Dune-related other than the cover for a PSone game.

Number_6

Is it worth reading the Dune books after the first one? I've always heard that they get profressively worse so I never did.

Yes. My personal second favorite is the fourth, but many found it jarring because it's totally different from what came before. Others will recommend read the first three and stop. I suggest giving four a try, for sure. Then you may as well finish the last two. It's epic when you put it all together.

Oh, and never, under any circumstances, read the complete and utter trash that was written by Brian Herbert. Pointless, cliche, awful cash-ins, that pay virtually no attention to what came before while claiming to be inspired by Frank's notes.

EDIT: I mean, give four a try after reading the first three, of course.

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, thanks. Been 20 years since I read the books, so a bit foggy on the timings, hehe. But I guess messiah/children could be one movie with some proper makeup and less a focus on Paul and make him less physically present.

Messiah and Children are very different stories (ignoring that together with Dune they form a longer story arc), with different main characters and themes. Can't be really mixed together in any way.

Oh, and never, under any circumstances, read the complete and utter trash that was written by Brian Herbert. Pointless, cliche, awful cash-ins, that pay virtually no attention to what came before while claiming to be inspired by Frank's notes.
I always see people blaming Brian Herbert but i suspect Kevin J. Anderson is more at fault. I have read some of his solo books (and they ain't good) and Dune sequels and prequels by the duo feel a lot like Anderson's other work.

Number_6

Messiah and Children are very different stories (ignoring that together with Dune they form a longer story arc), with different main characters and themes. Can't be really mixed together in any way.

I always see people blaming Brian Herbert but i suspect Kevin J. Anderson is more at fault. I have read some of his solo books (and they ain't good) and Dune sequels and prequels by the duo feel a lot like Anderson's other work.

Yeah, but then Brian Herbert let it happen. Over and over and over and over and over again.

EDIT:

Anyway, off to Blade Runner. I'll be back, Dune is my all-time favorite.

HStallion

Yeah, but then Brian Herbert let it happen. Over and over and over and over and over again.

Yeah they were getting totally silly after a while. I was waiting for Shopping Mall of Dune with how many random shitty side stories or prequels they were pumping out.

Woorloog

Banned
By the way, have they stopped writing those non-Dune stories? Or just taking a break?
I recall there was... Mentats of Dune? Second sequel to the Butlerian Jihad trilogy but afterwards, all i remember seeing is this new book series Brian and Kevin have written.

EDIT Checking Dune wiki, it seems they finished this "Schools of Dune" series last year. Huh.
And they never finished the "Heroes of Dune" series. Weird. Guess they got too much shit poured on their necks.

HStallion

By the way, have they stopped writing those non-Dune stories? Or just taking a break?
I recall there was... Mentats of Dune? Second sequel to the Butlerian Jihad trilogy but afterwards, all i remember seeing is this new book series Brian and Kevin have written.

EDIT Checking Dune wiki, it seems they finished this "Schools of Dune" series last year. Huh.
And they never finished the "Heroes of Dune" series. Weird. Guess they got too much shit poured on their necks.

All the books were pretty bad to some being out right terrible. I stopped paying attention years ago.

Woorloog

Banned
All the books were pretty bad to some being out right terrible. I stopped paying attention years ago.

I've read nearly all of the "expanded Dune" books. Had to see for myself how bad they were. Stopped at Sisterhood of Dune because it managed to be really bad, though i can't say if it is worse than Sandworms of Dune... (For those who don't know: That book has 4 deus ex machinas. That has to be some kind of record.)
Unfortunately they tend to fall into "so bad they're bad" category, rather than "bad enough to be amusing".

I was just wondering how come Brian and Kevin stopped. Guess they realized people hated their books.

HStallion

I've read nearly all of the "expanded Dune" books. Had to see for myself how bad they were. Stopped at Sisterhood of Dune because it managed to be really bad, though i can't say if it is worse than Sandworms of Dune... (For those who don't know: That book has 4 deus ex machinas. That has to be some kind of record.)
Unfortunately they tend to fall into "so bad they're bad" category, rather than "bad enough to be amusing".

I was just wondering how come Brian and Kevin stopped. Guess they realized people hated their books.

Its like the opposite of the Tolkein estate lol

Woorloog

Banned
One wish i have is that they'd release Frank's notes. I assume those really do exist to an extent even if Kevin and Brian ignored them. The single good book, The Road to Dune, done by Brian and Kevin contains a lot of material by Frank. The cut Dune chapters are fascinating, and Spice Planet is an interesting vision of what Dune was going to be originally.

TheXbox

Dune has a significant time gap within itself as well.

Children might work as a feature but Messiah is short and strange and very depressing. As a novel, it was divisive. As a film, it would probably be dysfunctional. The filmmakers would either have to gin up some action in order to hold the audience's attention (bad) or rework Messiah and Children as a single, three-act story (less bad).

Television is the other alternative.

Woorloog

Banned
Dune has a significant time gap within itself as well.

Children might work as a feature but Messiah is short and strange and very depressing. As a novel, it was divisive. As a film, it would probably be dysfunctional. The filmmakers would either have to gin up some action in order to hold the audience's attention (bad) or rework Messiah and Children as a single, three-act story (less bad).

Television is the other alternative.

Dune has time gap yes, but only two years or so between parts 2 and 3.

But Messiah has enough content it is extremely difficult to combine with much longer Children of Dune. This actually makes it difficult to adapt Children as well... it is so long. A lot can be cut or shortened for film to be sure, but i figure it would feel rushed in one film easily, unless it is a very long film.

While i like Messiah quite a bit, i do feel it could've done with some extra. Adding some expository scenes and action (namely scenes from Paul's Jihad) might not be a bad idea, if done faithfully to Dune's style.

Scifi Channel's Children of Dune series adapted Messiah pretty well in one episode, with the two latter episodes devoted to Children of Dune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom