• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve signed by Legendary Pictures to direct DUNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Not true at all. Watch. It. Absolutely amazing film. But it's not the usual action sci-fi stuff we're used to. It's more of a story about mankind, kindness, hope, etc.

This.

It's brilliant because a synopsis of it makes it sound trite and goofy, but the actual film is fantastic and perfectly pitched.

And reminds people Amy Adams is a stunning actress.

Blader

So with BR2049 out, is it time to get some insight in how this is proceeding?

Apparently he said in a recent interview that he's waiting on a 1st draft of the script, which should be coming in the next few weeks, and if it's good enough to move on he'll do that next.

edit: sorry, typo, meant weeks not years!

Mirand

Apparently he said in a recent interview that he's waiting on a 1st draft of the script, which should be coming in the next few years, and if it's good enough to move on he'll do that next.
Ah, so this is still a few years off then.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently he said in a recent interview that he's waiting on a 1st draft of the script, which should be coming in the next few years, and if it's good enough to move on he'll do that next.

Weeks not years. After watching Blade Runner 2049 and his other recent movies I'll watch anything he does.

So whats next then Cleopatra or Dune? Either was I am in Denis, he is an incredible director. Loved BR2049.

There was an interview I think where it was said he'd work on Cleopatra (pre-production) while doing Dune.

Lunaray

I'm still not convinced a good Dune movie adaptation can be made. I did say that about Lord of the Rings at one point though, so I look forward to being pleasantly surprised.

The Lynch version sucked. It had some cool visuals to it, but was just a terrible adaptation of an amazing book.

Meanwhile, the Sci-Fi channel miniseries was a great adaptation hampered by being a cable mini series in 2000. The script in it was fine, it was the direction and acting that was okay.

TheXbox

I'm still not convinced a good Dune movie adaptation can be made. I did say that about Lord of the Rings at one point though, so I look forward to being pleasantly surprised.
With modern CGI and a big budget, I don't think there's anything prohibitive in the source material. It's Lawrence of Arabia meets Star Wars. Paul follows the hero's journey to a T, and the book is full of action and iconic imagery. The plot is extremely accessible. In fact, at this point, after so many stories have aped Dune, it might even be familiar.

The real challenge is grappling with Herbert's big ideas about hero worship, imperialism, ecology, etc.. Seeing as Villeneuve has proven he's more than capable of dealing with meaningful sci-fi, I'm not too worried on that account.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
The Lynch version sucked. It had some cool visuals to it, but was just a terrible adaptation of an amazing book.

Meanwhile, the Sci-Fi channel miniseries was a great adaptation hampered by being a cable mini series in 2000. The script in it was fine, it was the direction and acting that was okay.

I'll never get over my hate boner for Milo Ventimiligilliagaiomba but godamn did that mini series try really fuckin hard.

Villeneuve has the eye to make this so special. I really hope they get behind this HARD with the money cause this could be really.... reeeaaally good.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Its still incredibly relevant to this day and in a way that will no doubt ruffle a ton of feathers all over the place if people pick up on it.

This. The metaphor for oil, the gulf states and literally Jihad was prescient and powerful and deliberate. Hell Paul has many obvious similarities to Osama Bin Laden.

Lunaray

With modern CGI and a big budget, I don't think there's anything prohibitive in the source material. It's Lawrence of Arabia meets Star Wars. Paul follows the hero's journey to a T, and the book is full of action and iconic imagery. The plot is extremely accessible. In fact, at this point, after so many stories have aped Dune, it might even be familiar.

The real challenge is grappling with Herbert's big ideas about hero worship, imperialism, ecology, etc.. Seeing as Villeneuve has proven he's more than capable of dealing with meaningful sci-fi, I'm not too worried on that account.

Hmm, I remember the Dune series being fairly cerebral and rife with internal monologues as opposed to action, but that could have been just God Emperor of Dune. Otherwise I agree with you - I think the biggest challenge is in its treatment of the bigger themes, in particular the imperialist and colonial overtones.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hmm, I remember the Dune series being fairly cerebral and rife with internal monologues as opposed to action, but that could have been just God Emperor of Dune. Otherwise I agree with you - I think the biggest challenge is in its treatment of the bigger themes, in particular the imperialist and colonial overtones.

The books get far more heady and cerebral as they go along but the first has many action packed moments whether its the
the coup at the beginning of the book, the Sand worm assault and of course the show down between Paul and Feyd-Rautha
. Hell, the wierding way in the books isn't some weird sound weapon but a form of martial arts that borders on super human depending of the user. Its probably the easiest to adapt for that reason alone as while there is a lot of inner dialogue and certain elements are definitely very surreal and out there its probably the most straight forward story of the series.

Woorloog

Banned
The books get far more heady and cerebral as they go along but the first has many action packed moments whether its the
the coup at the beginning of the book, the Sand worm assault and of course the show down between Paul and Feyd-Rautha
Its probably the easiest to adapt for that reason alone as while there is a lot of inner dialogue and certain elements are definitely very surreal and out there its probably the most straight forward story of the series.

I've just re-read Dune and Dune Messiah and re-reading Children of Dune, all for nth time (can't even recall how many times i've read the books) and i still don't get some things. But i suspect Herbert intended somethings to be... i don't know, beyond understanding?

Dune is absolutely the easiest one, being a revenge story at its core.

HStallion

I've just re-read Dune and Dune Messiah and re-reading Children of Dune, all for nth time (can't even recall how many times i've read the books) and i still don't get some things. But i suspect Herbert intended somethings to be... i don't know, beyond understanding?

Dune is absolutely the easiest one, being a revenge story at its core.

The latter books get into some really heady stuff on the future of humanity existing and thriving on a galactic scale from the idea behind Duke Leto's ascension and the Golden Path he wants humanity to tread to how societies and the species evolve in reaction to all different kinds of stimuli. They can be really dry and the pacing a slog but a lot of the concepts and how they're explored are great. I think one of my favorite being that humanity shouldn't rely on "supermen" individuals to solve all our problems and lord over us.

Woorloog

Banned
The latter books get into some really heady stuff on the future of humanity existing and thriving on a galactic scale from the idea behind Duke Leto's ascension and the Golden Path he wants humanity to tread to how societies and the species evolve in reaction to all different kinds of stimuli.

Oh, i know. I have read those many times too.

Dune needs to be a TV series with a Game of Thrones-style budget; however, since Blade Runner is so good I have faith this might be good

I read Dune for the first time about a month ago. I enjoyed it, but I hope the movie nails the third act a lot better than the book does.

Everything is so rushed at the end.

Geist-

Denis hasn't had a bad movie yet as far as I'm concerned. After BR2049 I don't think there's anyone more capable of adapting Dune.

These books will be hard to adapt. And if I remember right, it's heavily inter-generational. How much compromise will have to be made in order for this to work? I know that being faithful in adapting a published work is a thing, but in this case it might hurt them.

HStallion

These books will be hard to adapt. And if I remember right, it's heavily inter-generational. How much compromise will have to be made in order for this to work? I know that being faithful in adapting a published work is a thing, but in this case it might hurt them.

The first book is almost entirely focused on Paul. That stuff happens in the later novels which may never be adapted beyond the first movie.

Stiler

This is great news, hope it turns out well.

Part of me still wishes that Alejandro Jodorowsky's version would get made though.

The first book is almost entirely focused on Paul. That stuff happens in the later novels which may never be adapted beyond the first movie.

I know this is trite, but Hollywood seems to gravitate to the so-called Hero's Journey when it comes to the fantasy/action genre. So three acts. Or four, depending on the creative situation. So would they simply keep it mainly in the first book, or would there be serious retooling of the later novels to make it work?

So with BR2049 out, is it time to get some insight in how this is proceeding?

Denis recently said in an interview that he's waiting for the script to get done, then he'll propose his vision of it to the producers, and if they like it, he's on. If not, he's off. He's not interested in doing the movie in any way other than his own.

HStallion

I know this is trite, but Hollywood seems to gravitate to the so-called Hero's Journey when it comes to the fantasy/action genre. So three acts. Or four, depending on the creative situation. So would they simply keep it mainly in the first book, or would there be serious retooling of the later novels to make it work?

The first book is already fairly neatly broken up into three parts,
Paul and his family moving to Arrakis and then the eventual coup, Paul in the desert with his mother and joining and becoming a Fremen and then their leader, and then Paul leading the Fremen insurrection against the Harkonnens and the Emperor.
, so I think adapting it to a movie in that sense wouldn't be that hard. The later books would be really hard since they're not nearly as plot focused and dive head first into the more phisophical aspects of the series.

Though seeing Miles Teg brought to life
and moving so fast everyone else appear to be at a stand still as he wipes out an entire Honored Martyr base by himself
would be amazing to see in live action.

Dune needs to be a TV series with a Game of Thrones-style budget; however, since Blade Runner is so good I have faith this might be good

This would be the ideal scenario. Any movie would be forced to cut on some stuff, including some themes. The book is just too heavy.

Denis needs to go all David Lynch TP season 3: write and direct every episode of the TV series.

should i read dune

Greatest science-fiction book ever written, and my personal favorite book. I read it three times in the same summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom