• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denis Villeneuve signed by Legendary Pictures to direct DUNE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lynch's Dune is a complete mess of a film, a failure on so many levels. It's painfully slow, the acting is stiff, the sets and costume designs are ugly, the writing is corny (especially if you're unfamiliar with the source material.

David Lynch knew what he was doing when he disowned the film.

The film may have been an ugly look to it, but I always thought that the actual visual design in the 1984 Dune film was actually quite solid, save for the sandworms of course. Some poor blue screening going on with those creatures.

Sure, I agree, but that's different from saying that Interstellar should take notes from Arrival. Honestly, I feel that if Arrival got any "bigger" in scope, it would end up much like Interstellar and have many of the same problems. The expansion from the original short story it's based on into the Hollywood thriller it is already compromised many of the original themes and made it into something very different, and not necessarily better. It's actually one of Villeneuve's weaker films structure wise.

In general I think Villeneuve is a better filmmaker than Nolan, but I'm also keenly aware that there are realities when it comes to making big films, and audience expectations change, resulting in different filmmaking decisions along the way. I don't think we've really seen Villeneuve deliver a true blockbuster yet. Honestly, I kinda hope we never do. Lol.
I think Nolan is a better filmmaker. His nuances sometime get lost in big budget epics but you can still notice them. Case in point, I have not seen any director match Nolan's knack for exploring the intangible: the Time dimension. Whether its understanding memories in a Time dimension (Memento), your physiology and psychology as it pertains to Time (Insomnia) or your dreams construct inside an hourglass (Inception). Even Batman movies do quick cuts to a memory or an object and it's relationship to present status (Harvey split second in TDKR, Bruce finding his dad's stethoscope, etc).

Shoeless

Lynch's Dune is a complete mess of a film, a failure on so many levels. It's painfully slow, the acting is stiff, the sets and costume designs are ugly, the writing is corny (especially if you're unfamiliar with the source material). The music ok, but otherwise it fuckin' sucks. It's also a classic example of just lifting scenes and dialogue straight from the source with no consideration for whether or not those scenes work on screen.

I agree that it is a mess, but visually, it's a spectacular mess. I love Dune, and I know Lynch butchered the book, but damn if he didn't have some unforgettable moments scattered throughout the movie. To me, the debut of the guild navigator in the Emperor's court was iconic. Only he could have created that moment.

I still haven't seen Arrival, or any of Villneuve's other work, but I'm always hopeful for another Dune adaptation. If nothing else, someone else's interpretation, with a budget, is always interesting. I loved the documentary on Jodorowsky's Dune, and I will forever wonder what the Ridley Scott version would have been like had he not been hit with a death in the family.

wazoo

Blade Runner, and now Dune. He's diving fully into genre movies with sequels and remakes then. Won't be long before he works on a comic book property even though some folks insist he's too good for that.

He's too good for that.

wazoo

Lynch's Dune is a complete mess of a film, a failure on so many levels. It's painfully slow, the acting is stiff, the sets and costume designs are ugly, the writing is corny (especially if you're unfamiliar with the source material). The music ok, but otherwise it fuckin' sucks. It's also a classic example of just lifting scenes and dialogue straight from the source with no consideration for whether or not those scenes work on screen.

Dune main problem was the producer. Raffaella_De_Laurentiis main achievement was to be the daughter of her father. funny people talk about Brian Herbert on the same page - it seems Dune's malediction is about giving heritage and power to the wrong people, which is also a part of its storyline.

Pooya

His movie making style has been quite restrained and personal; Very few locations that often returned to, focus on 2-3 characters and developing those while following like one character PoV. He'd do well with Bladerunner but Dune looks like a completely different and new challenge for him.

Hopefully he works with deakins or that cinematographer Nolan been working with lately, hoyte van hoytema. The desert scenes should look amazing. I'm hoping for David Lean-esque shit here

And yeah he is too good for comic movies with the state they are in now. If they were more self contained i bet we'd be seeing some real ambitious filmmakers behind them. These dudes have no interest in an mcu or dcu

TheXbox

Hopefully he works with deakins or that cinematographer Nolan been working with lately, hoyte van hoytema. The desert scenes should look amazing. I'm hoping for David Lean-esque shit here
Correct.

The film also needs some amazing artists and production designers. I hate the look of Lynch's film, no more of that nauseating baroque shit. This is more like it:

Dune_Concept_Art_Illustration_01_Gary_Jamroz.jpg

duckroll

And yeah he is too good for comic movies with the state they are in now. If they were more self contained i bet we'd be seeing some real ambitious filmmakers behind them. These dudes have no interest in an mcu or dcu

He should hook up with Christopher Doyle.

Gaf, is Arrival really that good? I saw that one trailer and felt like I had seen the whole movie but I'm hoping that's not true.

Not true at all. Watch. It. Absolutely amazing film. But it's not the usual action sci-fi stuff we're used to. It's more of a story about mankind, kindness, hope, etc.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

He didn't disown the film. I know this because he signed my copy and lamented that there was too much interference to put together the vision he had for it. But the bolded (Paul maybe the exception) is so nonsensical that I think maybe you mean another word. If you'd said crazy overwrought or bombastic or even vaudevillian, then maybe. But also everything else you said was wrong and if I had a keyboard is go at you like a nutjob

Best part about Lynch's Dune was the soundtrack.

I didn't like the changes to the story. The lower budget Miniseries was more authentic.

Woorloog

Banned
I demand this be adapted into a teaser trailer for the film.
Yes, this should be done.
They should commission Eno to do another track. Prophecy theme is godly.

https://youtu.be/m4SwFhfNh1w

Yes. One of the best tracks in any film ever, if you ask me.

Best part about Lynch's Dune was the soundtrack.

I didn't like the changes to the story. The lower budget Miniseries was more authentic.

Several changes in the miniseries piss me off more than Lynch's stuff. I mean, the closer you get, the bigger even smallest differences feel.
Admittedly there was some good stuff there too, such as additional Irulan scenes. At least in theory, not too keen on the execution.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The thing with Dune is that it inherently has an alien feel to the very humans themselves since they are so far detached from the culture and humanity of today. Of course a lot of things are still quite prevalent but I like a lot of the ideas Herbert infused into the story about humanity actively trying to advance the species even if the entire species doesn't accept such advancements. Even the idea behind the OC Bible was pretty cool with many of the major religions coming together to try and make a sort of "universal" holy book that could be generally accepted by all of mankind. Of course religious zealotry, pride, arrogance and the like mean that isn't quite the case by the time the Dune story starts up its still quite interesting, that and the fact that religion is basically used as a tool to subjugate and control the masses quite literally. It touches on a lot of out there ideas all at once that are realistic in the changes and advances made to the far future and to humanity as a galactic civilization but are also rather off putting

kyser73

I've always felt that Lynch got the mysticism/religion correct, and the miniseries nailed the politics.

Neither have a good portrayal of the BG though. In the miniseries Mohaim is just wrong - she's an old crone with dreadlocks and an aba robe, not a peacock in a neck brace! Lynch got closer, but at literally no point would his mother ever be the fearful, mewling quim she is in the desert (the real BG training does come out at the meeting in the Cave of Birds prior to the Jamis fight tho).

I want to see them as the ultimate ninja-nun anarchists they are goddamit!

Anyway, I have no idea about casting for this. I'd love to see Patrick Stewart as Thufir tho, or Duke Leto. Matthew Mchonahay as Piter de Vries or Yueh? Tom Hardy as Stilgar.

No idea about Paul, Jessica, Baron H or Chani tho.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've always felt that Lynch got the mysticism/religion correct, and the miniseries nailed the politics.

Neither have a good portrayal of the BG though. In the miniseries Mohaim is just wrong - she's an old crone with dreadlocks and an aba robe, not a peacock in a neck brace! Lynch got closer, but at literally no point would his mother ever be the fearful, mewling quim she is in the desert (the real BG training does come out at the meeting in the Cave of Birds prior to the Jamis fight tho).

I want to see them as the ultimate ninja-nun anarchists they are goddamit!

Anyway, I have no idea about casting for this. I'd love to see Patrick Stewart as Thufir tho, or Duke Leto. Matthew Mchonahay as Piter de Vries or Yueh? Tom Hardy as Stilgar.

No idea about Paul, Jessica, Baron H or Chani tho.

Vincent D'Onofrio would make a decent Duke Harkonnen

Villeneuve on Dune
“I was able to do ‘Blade Runner’ thinking I would do nothing after, because there was a rhythm in the past few years that was very exciting and I learned a lot as a filmmaker. But I got slowly a bit more and more tired physically. And as I was doing ‘Blade Runner,’ which was a very long shoot, I remember thinking, ‘That might be my last movie. I’m going to bed for like three years.’ Now that I’m editing, I’m finding back my energy.

And since I was 12 years old there was a book I read, which is ‘Dune,’ which is my favorite book, with ‘1984.’ After ‘Prisoners,’ the producer of Alcon asked me what I would like to do next. I said, ‘Dune,’ spontaneously, that if anyone could get me the rights for ‘Dune’ — and I knew it was very difficult to get those rights.

For me it was just a dream, and I guess I’m lucky that Mary Parent from Legendary got the rights and offered it to me. I can’t say no to that. I have images that I am haunted by for 35 years. I will not say no to that. That’s going to be the project of my life.”
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/blade-runner-2049-denis-villeneuve-dune-details-1201984308/

Daingurse

Yeah, this is right dude for the job. Bless the Maker and His water.

I'd rather take a TV series then a movie, but I'm game for whatever. I guess a movie would get a bigger budget for flashier effects.

Yeah, something like an HBO series would be ideal, but I'm willing to see what this guy can do. He has some real passion for this property, and has shown himself to be a very competent filmmaker. I've seen Sicario, and thought it was pretty excellent. Arrival too, seems to have much hype and critical acclaim. I'm pretty excited for this lol.

RPGCrazied

I'd rather take a TV series then a movie, but I'm game for whatever. I guess a movie would get a bigger budget for flashier effects.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I doubt Dune can be a big hit, but it would be costly to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom