• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves Reveal Thread

Deku Tree

I wonder how they're going to handle Destiny 2 transitions. Do we get to bring everything including our maxed GHorns with us? Do we get to keep doing the old strikes and story missions mixed in with the new ones? Or does all the old content becomes separate and obsolete?

As a semantic side note, I wish Bungie had gone with the "Episode" nomenclature that was on that leaked slide for these first two DLC's. There's an expectation in these kind of games that "expansion" means something greater than what these actually are. Comet will be a real expansion, but now the messaging is a bit muddied. I wonder what Bungie will describe it as. A really big expansion?

EXXXPANSION!

to go back to the whole "build" discussion -

the whole game is designed around pve and pvp being similar to the point where transitioning between the modes is seamless as far as how your character is spec'd. if something like armor for insance were to make you a tank in pve, it'd also make that character a tank in pvp. despite the differences in loadouts and classes, destiny's pvp isn't very "rock-paper-scissors" as other class-based games tend to be.

bungie only recently started separating pve and pvp weapon balance from one another, but i have a feeling that something like class traits ties more into the way the enemies and level scaling is designed.

i appreciate the fact that choosing one class doesn't force you to play a specific way, but i'd agree that they can take some steps to make each choice feel more unique and specialized nonetheless.

to go back to the whole "build" discussion -

the whole game is designed around pve and pvp being similar to the point where transitioning between the modes is seamless as far as how your character is spec'd. if something like armor for insance were to make you a tank in pve, it'd also make that character a tank in pvp. despite the differences in loadouts and classes, destiny's pvp isn't very "rock-paper-scissors" as other class-based games tend to be.

bungie only recently started separating pve and pvp weapon balance from one another, but i have a feeling that something like class traits ties more into the way the enemies and level scaling is designed.

i appreciate the fact that choosing one class doesn't force you to play a specific way, but i'd agree that they can take some steps to make each choice feel more unique and specialized nonetheless.

What I'd like to see is class upgrading. Let's say you hit level 40 for example. You now have a choice to upgrade your Sun Singer Warlock to an ascended version of that subclass, say, the Sun Screamer. It's a more advanced version, with a new set of similar and balanced but more powerful abilities that you can work through to upgrade, while the maxed out "old" Sun Singer subclass gets copied into a new slot for you. The abilities would still be Solar-based, or maybe one of three new element types. This would be on top of the Arc Spinner subclass that will be added to the Warlocks that is focused around a destructo-disc style frisbee arc grenade and a super that infuses all your weapons with Arc bonus damage for a time.

This is long term stuff I'm dreaming, but it would be so awesome. At the very least I want to see each class have their third sub class added in Comet, and then we can talk about Ascended subclasses for Destiny 2 :p

I wonder how they're going to handle Destiny 2 transitions. Do we get to bring everything including our maxed GHorns with us? Do we get to keep doing the old strikes and story missions mixed in with the new ones? Or does all the old content becomes separate and obsolete?

I would be really disappointed if the old stuff isn't kept in some way, even if it's a Cataclysm-style remix of everything. I want the solar system filled out with hopefully Destiny 2 adding new planets wayyyy out there in another system.

Wizman23

Banned
I'm really wondering how Destiny 2 is going to work. Is it going to be like an mmo expansion where existing areas stay the same and new ones are added, or will it be an entire separate game where everything from Destiny 1 ceases to exist anymore.

Hugstable

Banned
I'm really wondering how Destiny 2 is going to work. Is it going to be like an mmo expansion where existing areas stay the same and new ones are added, or will it be an entire separate game where everything from Destiny 1 ceases to exist anymore.

Traveler will get blown up, then they will ship you off to some new random galaxy and tell you about how they don't have time to explain why they don't have time to explain.

Can't wait to see how they "tell a compelling story"
kappa.png

Sparcy63

Neo Member
Traveler will get blown up, then they will ship you off to some new random galaxy and tell you about how they don't have time to explain why they don't have time to explain.

How did you have the time to explain what they aren't explaining because they don't have the time to explain it?

jett

D-Member
I'm hoping Comet adds a couple jovian moons. Maybe one for each Saturn and Jupiter.

Europa: Lost frozen city of Humanity? Old Cabal war base?

Saturn: Derelict ship orbiting out among the rings? Titan?

And let's not forget these creepy ships:

What, you don't like Old Russia no more? :p

Z3M0G

I'm thinking we'll find out E3 2016.

FinFan

Interesting to see a scorch cannon and fallen captain in VoG. Prof. Broman did a side by side with the preview video (@4:21) and it's definitely VoG.

GhaleonEB

Probably a story mission on Venus.

It could also be one of the bounties on the quest line. Eris's quest had a string of three set in the Cosmodrome, hunting down three special Hive enemies/events. IIRC from the Reef reveal there were several quests for killing special Fallen that were located in public spaces on Earth. I wouldn't be surprised if they put one down there on Venus, though I wonder how that would work logistically (since it's in a patrol space, even down there).

EL CUCO

Fallen trying to get their Raid on. It obviously took them months to get a decent fireteam together and we bust in to piss on their parade. The Traveler wants all the glory, doesn't he.

Deku Tree

It could also be one of the bounties on the quest line. Eris's quest had a string of three set in the Cosmodrome, hunting down three special Hive enemies/events. IIRC from the Reef reveal there were several quests for killing special Fallen that were located in public spaces on Earth. I wouldn't be surprised if they put one down there on Venus, though I wonder how that would work logistically (since it's in a patrol space, even down there).

Good idea!

You currently can't enter the Templars well on patrol even trying to hack in there... although they could easily Change that.

They have one story job to do: Respect the story of my short life on this Earth and let me skip your crappy cutscenes.

Note: I haven't played for months, so I apologize if this has already been patched; last I recall is a Luke Smith quote in Game Informer bluntly stating that cutscene skipping wouldn't happen.

As a semantic side note, I wish Bungie had gone with the "Episode" nomenclature that was on that leaked slide for these first two DLC's. There's an expectation in these kind of games that "expansion" means something greater than what these actually are. Comet will be a real expansion, but now the messaging is a bit muddied. I wonder what Bungie will describe it as. A really big expansion?
Totally agree. I was wondering this as well. Bungie kind of dug a hole for themselves in this regard.

Or who knows, maybe they'll label it "expansion III" and it will just happen to cost more and have more content than the first two expansions.

Cruxist

Anybody else notice the color change of the Pikes in the HoW preview video?

Do you think they'd mind if we take their pikes?

But in all seriousness, the transition to Destiny 2 is going to be tough. If our gear is wiped, people will riot, if classes are significantly altered, people will riot. If the new gear isn't different enough, people will riot.

I want Destiny 2 to succeed, but Destiny feels like a hyper accelerated MMO. I don't know how they can really change and transition while respecting the current investment.

McArkus

I'm starting to warm up to this new expansion with the new stuff, maybe it is best to get this one instead of the complete season pass. I still think the dark below is not worth it.

Jito

Banned
Have they said yet how many story missions there will be? TDB story missions were pathetic and I'd played through them all in less than an hour.

I'm starting to warm up to this new expansion with the new stuff, maybe it is best to get this one instead of the complete season pass. I still think the dark below is not worth it.

I'm still waiting for Comet to drop before I jump back in, but I am getting excited at the thought of all the content available once it does. Lack of content was a huge part of why I left. The other reason is horrible business and design decisions, which it looks like they're improving as well.

Do you think they'd mind if we take their pikes?

But in all seriousness, the transition to Destiny 2 is going to be tough. If our gear is wiped, people will riot, if classes are significantly altered, people will riot. If the new gear isn't different enough, people will riot.

I want Destiny 2 to succeed, but Destiny feels like a hyper accelerated MMO. I don't know how they can really change and transition while respecting the current investment.

I won't really mind a reset if Destiny 2 actually makes good on a lot of the promises/hype for Destiny 1.

border

I don't see why the Destiny transition has to be difficult. Just include all previous content on the disc and let everyone continue onward with their character. New players can boost to Level 40 (or whatever) if they choose, or they can start at Level 1 if they want to see everything from the beginning.

blamite

Ah, I thought you could go down that far, thanks. Seems a story mission is more likely.

Personally, I like the theory that
the story mission in the Citadel on Venus involves chasing Skolas through some Vex portals, at some point leading through the Vault.
(pure speculation, but spoilered because maybe someone would consider it a spoiler????)

Bold One

The only way Destiny 2 will succeed is to have a whole new and cohesive approach to mission structure and world design, I think the game mechanics and the shooting are very solid as is.

Deku Tree

The only way Destiny 2 will succeed is to have a whole new and cohesive approach to mission structure and world design, I think the game mechanics and the shooting are very solid as is.

Destiny 2 will succeed if all the people who like and currently play Destiny 1 buy it and no one else does.
Of course Bungie and Acti wants more people than that to buy it though.

Yes, they did, but I am thinking that three will be regular story missions that will stay on the map continuously and two that are special one offs tied to bounty chains; like Eris' quest for the piece of armor that had you take the urn to the moon and fight off those waves of hive with the swords. If all five were regular story stuff we would have seen some hint of them from the data mining.

I don't see why the Destiny transition has to be difficult. Just include all previous content on the disc and let everyone continue onward with their character. New players can boost to Level 40 (or whatever) if they choose, or they can start at Level 1 if they want to see everything from the beginning.

My only problem with that is all that previous gear that will either become crap as they offer new and better stuff (otherwise everyone is still just rocking fate bringer and G horn two years later) and no substantial changes could be made to the classes, leveling systems, or mechanics. Personally, I am hoping for changes so substantial we get a soft reset and work our way back up using the new version of our classes and gear (think mass effect one to two).
That being said, some things need to carry over so people still feel like they have their guardians staying with them rather than feeling like they are completely starting over. I think exotics should carry over (with some tweaks and changes under the new system) as a kind of legacy from Destiny 1, while still allowing us to kind of "reforge our legend" in the new game. Same with maybe shaders or at least emblems as a kind of trophy of past adventures.

I think Expansion is valid (and more apt than "episode" which implies an ongoing story). This is a game about activities, and in both releases, they've significantly increased the number of activities you can perform. TDB added new Crucible maps and playlists, new story missions, new strikes, a new raid, new bounties, and new weapons and armor. HoW adds new Crucible maps and playlists, new story missions, a new strike, a new co-op mode, a new social space with multiple new vendors and bounties, a new weapon subclass and new weapons and armor. I think people thought we would see explorable areas expand originally. Bungie should have done a better job setting expectations.

Part of the problem here is that we are at the mercy of the marketers of the video game industry. The definitions of "DLC" and "Expansion" and "Episode" are ultimately based on our experiences with specific other games. With Halo, it was simple: map packs. These are packs of maps. I don't think customer expectations for Destiny were appropriately set before the base game released, and that problem is only exacerbated when you start trying to come up with a name for the continuation of such a game.

GhaleonEB

I think Expansion is valid (and more apt than "episode" which implies an ongoing story). This is a game about activities, and in both releases, they've significantly increased the number of activities you can perform. TDB added new Crucible maps and playlists, new story missions, new strikes, a new raid, new bounties, and new weapons and armor. HoW adds new Crucible maps and playlists, new story missions, a new strike, a new co-op mode, a new social space with multiple new vendors and bounties, a new weapon subclass and new weapons and armor. I think people thought we would see explorable areas expand originally. Bungie should have done a better job setting expectations.

Part of the problem here is that we are at the mercy of the marketers of the video game industry. The definitions of "DLC" and "Expansion" and "Episode" are ultimately based on our experiences with specific other games. With Halo, it was simple: map packs. These are packs of maps. I don't think customer expectations for Destiny were appropriately set before the base game released, and that problem is only exacerbated when you start trying to come up with a name for the continuation of such a game.

In a literal sense, the first two DLC's are very much expansions - they literally added to nearly every activity in the game (Story, Strikes, Raids, Crucible, and of course lots of new loot). They just expand those things a little bit at a time; as you said, Bungie / Activision didn't do the best at setting expectations. My post was really more about the semantics of how to distinguish these from Comet; I'm sure the marketing will be all over it (I'm expecting a new retail re-release, for instance) but the messaging will be interesting to see given what will be a gulf in scale (and likely, price).

Personally, I think the Episode / Expansion does add some clarity, but in the end, as you said, it's all marketing.

Deku Tree

In a literal sense, the first two DLC's are very much expansions - they literally added to nearly every activity in the game (Story, Strikes, Raids, Crucible, and of course lots of new loot). They just expand those things a little bit at a time; as you said, Bungie / Activision didn't do the best at setting expectations. My post was really more about the semantics of how to distinguish these from Comet; I'm sure the marketing will be all over it (I'm expecting a new retail re-release, for instance) but the messaging will be interesting to see given what will be a gulf in scale (and likely, price).

Personally, I think the Episode / Expansion does add some clarity, but in the end, as you said, it's all marketing.

If Comet has less content than Vanilla Destiny then it should be no more than $30 or at the most $40 usd depending upon how much content it has.... I wonder how they will market it? Will they sell a season pass for year 2? Will they sell a retail disk version that includes Vanilla Destiny and all DLC including Comet for $60? Or just Vanilla Destiny + Comet for $60? Or will comet be big enough that they will just call it Destiny 2 and sell it alone for $60? or something else?

If Comet has less content than Vanilla Destiny then it should be no more than $30 or at the most $40 usd depending upon how much content it has.... I wonder how they will market it? Will they sell a season pass for year 2? Will they sell a retail disk version that includes Vanilla Destiny and all DLC including Comet for $60? Or just Vanilla Destiny + Comet for $60? Or will comet be big enough that they will just call it Destiny 2 and sell it alone for $60? or something else?

It'll be interesting to see how they approach comet. Because of what we've seen of PoE, we can surmise that Comet will be quite different from what was planned in that leak. As for how much it will cost.....$30-40 would be a decent price for it. Because the Vanilla Destiny is quite bare on content, looking back. If the Comet can match the number of strikes, raids, activities, missions, a new subclass, 10 new levels, and weapons that the base had, than anything below 60 would be a deal.

DeviantBoi

Anyone know if we'll be able to get the grimoire card for the girl that showed up on the tower during the Queen's Wrath? Will she show up in the new social area in the Reef?

Deku Tree

Anyone know if we'll be able to get the grimoire card for the girl that showed up on the tower during the Queen's Wrath? Will she show up in the new social area in the Reef?

Hopefully... There is a queens wrath vendor in the reef named Petra... She is the queens emissary but she's not just called the queens emissary... She's Petra.

Z3M0G

Still so odd that Queens Wrath was once a brief event close to launch... and now the new DLC seems to center around it in some ways (Characters, etc). I always asked why it wouldnt return and now it seems clear... they likely decided what DLC2 would be shortly after that event first occured.

Makes me wonder if Queens Wrath as a periodic event was initially meant to be more. And they shifted its concepts/content towards DLC2 instead.

Still so odd that Queens Wrath was once a brief event close to launch... and now the new DLC seems to center around it in some ways (Characters, etc). I always asked why it wouldnt return and now it seems clear... they likely decided what DLC2 would be shortly after that event first occured.

Makes me wonder if Queens Wrath as a periodic event was initially meant to be more. And they shifted its concepts/content towards DLC2 instead.

the Queens Wrath seemed like it was meant to help players gear up for the raid with guaranteed Legendary armor since it coincided with the Vault of Glass' release. Remember that it came out before the first loot patches, and most people didn't have enough materials to buy armor at the time. Bungie must not have anticipated that it'd be exploited for ascendant shards, so they put it on the backburner. When they decided to restructure their "storytelling" for the first DLC in the form of Eris, it therefore made sense to retool the Queen's Wrath as the equivalent for House of Wolves.

As far as a "weekly PvE event" in the vein of Iron Banner, we probably wont be seeing one of those again. Eris and now Petra rendered that obsolete.

the Queens Wrath seemed like it was meant to help players gear up for the raid with guaranteed Legendary armor since it coincided with the Vault of Glass' release. Remember that it came out before the first loot patches, and most people didn't have enough materials to buy armor at the time. Bungie must not have anticipated that it'd be exploited for ascendant shards, so they put it on the backburner. When they decided to restructure their "storytelling" for the first DLC in the form of Eris, it therefore made sense to retool the Queen's Wrath as the equivalent for House of Wolves.

As far as a "weekly PvE event" in the vein of Iron Banner, we probably wont be seeing one of those again. Eris and now Petra rendered that obsolete.

I'll miss Petra's gorgeous ship in the Tower. Such an underutilized space now except during Iron Banner.

I still have a helmet from that <_>

The ugly Titan Helmet

neoism

I think Destiny 2 or Comet is going to really reshape how Destiny works in order for them to be able to make compelling additions. This is what I would do.

1. Replace ADS with alt fire for each weapon. Legendaries and exotic could have more unique and more powerful alt fire traits.

2. Replace grenades with long range class ability.

3. Replace melee with short range class abilities.

4. Allow for swapping subclasses without needing to go to the menu.

All that sounds good... The one thing I want the most I mean really is please no more bullet sponges... I want fun enemies with good ai. Yes you can of course make enemies harder scaled to level... But it's really unfun to me when one enemy takes 3 clips...

Z3M0G

It'll be interesting to see how they approach comet. Because of what we've seen of PoE, we can surmise that Comet will be quite different from what was planned in that leak. As for how much it will cost.....$30-40 would be a decent price for it. Because the Vanilla Destiny is quite bare on content, looking back. If the Comet can match the number of strikes, raids, activities, missions, a new subclass, 10 new levels, and weapons that the base had, than anything below 60 would be a deal.

I always thought it would be obvious...

- Stand-alone Comet DLC for $40 (maybe $30, given the even more obvious next point)
- Vanilla+Comet+DLC1+DLC2 for $60
- Vanilla+Comet+DLC1+DLC2+Season2Pass for $90
- DLC4 / DLC5 for $20 each

ethomaz

Banned
I always thought it would be obvious...

- Stand-alone Comet DLC for $40 (maybe $30, given the even more obvious next point)
- Vanilla+Comet+DLC1+DLC2 for $60
- Vanilla+Comet+DLC1+DLC2+Season2Pass for $90
- DLC4 / DLC5 for $20 each
Looks like.... I just want the new Expansion Pass to be $30 and I will be happy.

A retail complete edition with all updates til Comet at $60 is a good deal too.

Top Bottom