• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves Reveal Thread

So this was posted on the Destiny Facebook page yesterday. Way after the patch delay.

hW1fedb.png

I think it is safe to assume HoW will NOT be pushed back.

Woah woah Bungie defense activated, I thought you guys had figured if you didn't want to see Destiny or Bungie being judged then maybe hop on back to the safety of the OT? I'm not going to sugar coat my opinion of them for you. This "expansion pack" is going to be lazy like the last.

How is it not incompetence to announce a patch release then delay it last minute, it does bring up question about the potential state of the DLC if they're finding issues in a patch last minute like this.

By all means, criticize the content when it goes live. But Bungie's been consistent on the technical side of things since Destiny's launch. If the patch has run into a few hiccups, they have an ample amount of time to weed out the issue before it goes live. Besides, I believe we've already downloaded most of the content, so it's not like we'll all be patching 8GB on May 19th.

Here's an FAQ, for those of you just joining-
qGQ1wf2.png

Hello there! You might be wondering why there's another Destiny related post. That's because there is a new expansion! That's right, they made more of Destiny! However, there's something you should know, the game is completely different now! Like the difference between a blind puppy when it was released, to the terrifying Wolf that it is now. So here's some things you should know!
  • If you're rejoining Destiny, keep your old gear! You can now Ascend your gear to the max light level using Etheric Light!
  • Ascendant materials are being phased out. If you don't know what they are, A ludicrous amount of Ascendant materials were required to upgrade weapons/armor. Whilst legacy gear still requires it, the new gear available from House of Wolves does not. As such, activites that rewarded shards before now give Motes of Light...
  • ...Which brings me to the next point, Legendary Engrams are now guaranteed Legendary items. If you played back in vanilla, you would remember that Legendary engrams had a chance at giving shards. THIS IS NO MORE! Now engrams actually give loot you can use.
  • Any extra Ascendant material you have can be traded in for glimmer, or can be traded across itself if you need to upgrade gear. Meaning that if you have nothing you want to level up, you can trade it in for glimmer.
  • If you quit during The Dark Below, you may remember the commendation stuff they put out. They took that out because it didn't work out, any left over commendations can now be turned in for faction reputation. This works with Faction Class items, meaning you can level any faction except Queens Wrath/Eris reputation.
  • Exotic gear will be upgraded to max level through Exotic Shards. You don't need any Etheric Light~

That's great and all Breezy, but what's new. That's what I want to know!

I'm glad you asked, NeoGAF user. Right now the Queens Guard has returned to the Tower, with new Bounties leading up to the release of House of Wolves. These involve new patrolling enemies in various planets, called Wolves. The wolf, is a canine animal. How the Fallen named themselves after an Earth animal I don't know. Anyways, these Wolves will come down with a special boss Fallen appearing after a number of enemies are killed. This boss character, when killed, will award you with a Key of Ether, and a chest with a bright light will spawn nearby. The chest has a chance of giving engrams(Blue and Legendary) as well as a huge amount of planet materials and ammo synthesis'. They can also give you a Treasure Key, which will be used to pillage the Queens personal chest. You can carry up to 5 of these on your person, you can vault more. These events can be repeated even after you turn in the bounties.

But tell me about House of Wolves! Learn me! I love to no scope 360 noobs in PvP! What does it offer to me!?

I'm glad you asked! Not only are The Dark Below PVP maps becoming free for everyone, but with House of Wolves there are 4 new maps for you to enjoy!

That's it? Bullshit what a waste I fucking knew Bungie would drop the ball again god they should go back to microsoft and hal-!

SIT DOWN CHILD, LET ME FINISH. Ahem, mark gain and reputation gain are doubled in PvP now, across all modes. Not only that, but they've increased the chance of getting engrams through PvP by 100%, and they've added legendary gear as rewards through PvP Now! Not only that but the better you do in the match, the more chances you get in getting awarded gear! So now your proness is rewarded.

Wow! That sounds great! But I'll always be first place with my 360 no scoping so I need a challenge. I need something to spill my skill!

Well 360noscopeXXNeoGAF user, there is a new Trials of Osiris. Gather up two of your frien-

I don't have any friends

I SAID SIT DOWN, TOO BAD. So gather 3 of your best friends, and hop into the Trials of Osiris. This is a 3v3 elimination that tests your skill. The more you win, the greater the rewards. There will be unique armor and possibly unique weapons associated with this mode! And rumor has it, you will be invited to meet those behind the Trial if you get 9 wins in a row....

That sounds great, Breezy! But what about when I get tired of PvP?

Then there's a new end game activity for you! This is called the Prison of Elders. It is various Arenas-You might've seen 2 of them, the Cabal and the Hive arenas, but those were pretty claustrophobic. Luckily the Vex and Fallen arenas are alot bigger than those, and you can find youtube videos or something. You're a pro sniper, I ain't googling for you. Anyways! So there will be 6 types of arenas that are rotated weekly. There are 3 modes-Level 32 mode, level 34 mode, and level 35 mode. The lower levels have rotating arenas, each which features a unique boss at the end. The level 35 mode will always feature Skolas, the end game boss. It is yet to be seen if this will be a unique arena compared to the rest! He also rewards the best loot in the game. You will also get Weapon Cores and Armor Cores from doing the various arena modes, which you can turn in for pieces offered that week by Variks, or you can turn in one of each for a random piece of gear not currently being offered. When you beat each arena, you will go to a treasure room which is where you will get your rewards from various chests. Not only that, but Petra of the Reef will offer you bounties to hunt down various foes that have escaped the prison. If you find gear you receive inadequate, you'll be able to take it to the gunsmith to reroll its stats and perks. There will be new exotics, new weapons and armor, and a new weapon subclass-Sidearms, which are pistols that yearn to the Halo days of..pistols.

Come Guardian, the Reef awaits you.

Wow thanks Breezy! That pretty much details most of my questions! Where can I go chat with cool people like you?

I'm glad you asked NeoGAF user, you can head over to the official Destiny Thread, we welcome everyone!

Compsiox

Banned
I hope they forget Destiny and everything after it when they make Destiny 2. They need to fix a lot about the game if they want it to be a franchise. It can't be done just through updates.

I hope they forget Destiny and everything after it when they make Destiny 2. They need to fix a lot about the game if they want it to be a franchise. It can't be done just through updates.

the good news is that they can completely reboot the story and nobody would really notice.

Compsiox

Banned
Well, instead of throwing random facts at you, lets start with-

What problems did you have with Vanilla Destiny/TDB Destiny? And then I can tell you if they've changed it or not.
Bullet sponge bosses/all bosses just reskins. No tangible storyline aside from the basic last city on Earth stuff. Boring grind gameplay. Overly complex exotic upgrade stuff. They also need to make the game more open world.
the good news is that they can completely reboot the story and nobody would really notice.
Very true.
Spoken like someone who hasn't played since September...
250 hours played until a few days after the 1st DLC released

What's a game changer that has released since the first dlc?

the biggest thing has been the reduced grind by allowing players to exchange mats and currencies, as well as increased rewards and rep gains across the activities. they've shifted some of the balance in crucible, lowered the health of some of the strike bosses, fixed most raid bugs, added options like accessibility, and matchmaking to the weekly strikes. the new upgrade system alone gives a lot of validity to a good portion of the game's content that was being effectively left behind previously (being able to upgrade any legendary or exotic item instead of only relying on new ones from the raid). going forward, it may evolve into destiny's "transmog" system.

the 3 major points - raid matchmaking, private crucible matches and more social features [for the social spaces] haven't been promised, but between now and comet and in the months thereafter, these could probably show up give than the main bullet points have already been hit. it's clear though that a lot of the stuff they are able to do to the game are being influenced by the limitations of last gen.

for someone who liked the game but quit playing early on, these ecosystem changes will definitely make the game feel different than it used to be. but i personally don't think there is anything "game changing" for someone who was expecting much more. you'll still be replaying the old content interspersed with the new stuff (which is mostly higher quality).

Compsiox

Banned
the biggest thing has been the reduced grind by allowing players to exchange mats and currencies, as well as increased rewards and rep gains across the activities. they've shifted some of the balance in crucible, lowered the health of some of the strike bosses, fixed most raid bugs, added options like accessibility, and matchmaking to the weekly strikes. the new upgrade system alone gives a lot of validity to a good portion of the game's content that was being effectively left behind previously (being able to upgrade any legendary or exotic item instead of only relying on new ones from the raid). going forward, it may evolve into destiny's "transmog" system.

the 3 major points - raid matchmaking, private crucible matches and more social features [for the social spaces] haven't been promised, but between now and comet and in the months thereafter, these could probably show up. it's clear though that a lot of the stuff they are able to do to the game are being influenced by the limitations of last gen.
That does sound a lot better. It was really annoying to get anywhere without an established fireteam but this stuff makes it seem like you can have fun without friends. Killing the need to grind is also great. Thanks. May actually give it another go before House of Wolves releases.

Bullet sponge bosses/all bosses just reskins. No tangible storyline aside from the basic last city on Earth stuff. Boring grind gameplay. Overly complex exotic upgrade stuff. They also need to make the game more open world.

They've reduced the health on some of the biggest offenders, yeah the bosses are just reskins but the new bosses being introduced in HoW have special abilties. Yeah the story sucks @_@ They've completely reduced the grind and removed it in the new expansion. The Exotic stuff is now simple. The last bit is more of an opinion than an actual issue @_@

legendary and exotic grind is basically gone if you ask me. mat requirement has been decimated and they don't even have upgrade nodes for damage values anymore. it's almost a completely different game in that regard.

dunno what they were thinking with TDB's upgrade system that reset progression, but it's gone now. people can actually enjoy their weapon collections because it wont take a week to level one gun.

Compsiox

Banned
They've reduced the health on some of the biggest offenders, yeah the bosses are just reskins but the new bosses being introduced in HoW have special abilties. Yeah the story sucks @_@ They've completely reduced the grind and removed it in the new expansion. The Exotic stuff is now simple. The last bit is more of an opinion than an actual issue @_@

They promised open worlds even up to the E3 before release. They didn't deliver, therefore they were straight up lies. I think that is an issue. But glad you agree with everything else.

Compsiox

Banned
legendary and exotic grind is basically gone if you ask me. mat requirement has been decimated and they don't even have upgrade nodes for damage values anymore. it's almost a completely different game in that regard.

dunno what they were thinking with TDB's upgrade system that reset progression, but it's gone now. people can actually enjoy their weapon collections because it wont take a week to level one gun.

As soon as I looked up all the stuff online for the upgrade system from TDB I decided I wasn't going back. It did feel like they were just trying to expand the grind. Glad they fixed that though. I'm also a little salty that Bungie made key people want to leave/get fired. They probably left for a good reason. Don't know about Marty though.

As soon as I looked up all the stuff online for the upgrade system from TDB I decided I wasn't going back. It did feel like they were just trying to expand the grind. Glad they fixed that though. I'm also a little salty that Bungie made key people want to leave/get fired. They probably left for a good reason. Don't know about Marty though.

i still think marty was fired for accidentally deleting the game's story.

it's the only way to connect the dots.

Compsiox

Banned
i still think marty was fired for accidentally deleting the game's story.

it's the only way to connect the dots.

Yeah haha.

The real reason the story was bad is because they realized the story they originally had wouldn't last 10 years like they planned so they trashed it.

pantsmith

Power struggle, is my guess. You get a lot of talented people and a game with Destiny's potential, and its obvious why the head story guy would leave (because they didnt use the story)

We have no idea why Marty was fired since no one does their job like he does, but my guess is that he was unsupportive of the people who didnt leave. This is all baseless speculation until the documentary ten years from now.

Yeah haha.

The real reason the story was bad is because they realized the story they originally had wouldn't last 10 years like they planned so they trashed it.

that wouldn't make much sense to me.

destiny doesn't have a linear narrative; it can't tell just one major story unless they start adding and changing major world events - and i don't mean a roaming band of pikes. they needed to worry about telling a self-contained story first and foremost - which they did despite it failing tremendously - and then they can pick up the "next episode" with DLC. they're doing this, but it feels very disjointed like they weren't able to figure out how to string everything together. "crota's end" didn't feel like a world event because it's designed to be grinded repeatedly. there aren't any world changes before or after you beat him aside from some different dialog. it effectively never happened. house of wolves has a much more canonical impact on the game considering the amount of new stuff opening up to players (and rumor has it they'll be tying it back to the vault of glass raid).

in a universe where aliens are all over the place, literally anything can happen. maybe we'll finally beat "the darkness" in the 4th game, but it's hard to imagine this kind of thing with an overarching storyline. the whole premise is to "push back the darkness and take back our worlds", so they need to focus on the individual battles that pay way for that while telling a more sinister plot underneath. if the exo plotline was meant to fill that void, it stumbled.

So far all the "game changers" have essentially been methods of reducing the grind within the game ultimately allowing users to spend less time playing... does this mean the game is getting better because now people don't have to play it as much? With this logic not playing it at all is likely the best option....but who am I to talk, i just started playing again this week :p

Compsiox

Banned
that wouldn't make much sense to me.

destiny doesn't have a linear narrative; it can't tell just one major story unless they start adding and changing major world events - and i don't mean a roaming band of pikes. they needed to worry about telling a self-contained story first and foremost - which they did despite it failing tremendously - and then they can pick up the "next episode" with DLC. they're doing this, but it feels very disjointed like they weren't able to figure out how to string everything together. "crota's end" didn't feel like a world event because it's designed to be grinded repeatedly. there aren't any world changes before or after you beat him aside from some different dialog. it effectively never happened. house of wolves has a much more canonical impact on the game considering the amount of new stuff opening up to players (and rumor has it they'll be tying it back to the vault of glass raid).

in a universe where aliens are all over the place, literally anything can happen. maybe we'll finally beat "the darkness" in the 4th game, but it's hard to imagine this kind of thing with an overarching storyline. the whole premise is to "push back the darkness and take back our worlds", so they need to focus on the individual battles that pay way for that while telling a more sinister plot underneath. if the exo plotline was meant to fill that void, it stumbled.

It was supposed to be an always evolving world. When they announced Destiny they talked about how enemies would be able to start events themselves and they could end up making an impact on the story and the world within the game. But none of that came to fruition.

Compsiox

Banned
So far all the "game changers" have essentially been methods of reducing the grind within the game ultimately allowing users to spend less time playing... does this mean the game is getting better because now people don't have to play it as much? With this logic not playing it at all is likely the best option....but who am I to talk, i just started playing again this week :p

I'm just going to go back. If it doesn't absorb me within an hour or two I'm done for good unless Bungie does deliver on anything they lied about.

I agree with game needing to be more "open world". The maps really aren't even that big. Venus is probably my favorite but it's kind of like a looping track and isn't very large.

GhaleonEB

I'm just going to go back. If it doesn't absorb me within an hour or two I'm done for good unless Bungie does deliver on anything they lied about.

Now is a good time to hop in, as the Queen's Wrath event is ongoing for all players. It's a lot of fun. Stuff like new pikes are turning up as well.

For me, the biggest game changer has been the shotgun buff in PvE. They doubled the damage output, which makes them a destroyer of worlds. Being able to run the same content with new and different load outs really did shake things up.

void_if_removed

Neo Member
The Queen's Bounty has been added in yesterday's patch. There are now more than 20 rotating "eliminate target" bounties that spawn in patrols, filled with level 30 enemies, scorch cannons, and the final target is usually rock solid and heavily shielded to the point where I think soloing is not an option for the vast majority of people. As such going on patrol with a fireteam is much more fun, and if randoms join in also you get the same sense of community and shared experience you get on a public event, more often. This bodes really well for Tuesday.

The Queen's Bounty has been added in yesterday's patch. There are now more than 20 rotating "eliminate target" bounties that spawn in patrols, filled with level 30 enemies, scorch cannons, and the final target is usually rock solid and heavily shielded to the point where I think soloing is not an option for the vast majority of people. As such going on patrol with a fireteam is much more fun, and if randoms join in also you get the same sense of community and shared experience you get on a public event, more often. This bodes really well for Tuesday.

Yeah, the world seems more alive now. Just people chilling out waiting for the bounties to show up.

funkypie

Banned
Ok I have a question about upgrading to maximum damage. Before crota dlc weapons were stuck at 300 attack. They gave you the shitty option of levelling them up again to get the new damage at 333. What if you thought fuck it and couldn't be fucked to level some weapons up again, for example my patience and time ( fitting gun as I had no patience to level it up again). Can I upgrade the gun from 300 straight to 365 or have I got to do the bullshit of releveling it?

Compsiox

Banned
Now is a good time to hop in, as the Queen's Wrath event is ongoing for all players. It's a lot of fun. Stuff like new pikes are turning up as well.

For me, the biggest game changer has been the shotgun buff in PvE. They doubled the damage output, which makes them a destroyer of worlds. Being able to run the same content with new and different load outs really did shake things up.

Sweet thanks for letting me know

Ok I have a question about upgrading to maximum damage. Before crota dlc weapons were stuck at 300 attack. They gave you the shitty option of levelling them up again to get the new damage at 333. What if you thought fuck it and couldn't be fucked to level some weapons up again, for example my patience and time ( fitting gun as I had no patience to level it up again). Can I upgrade the gun from 300 straight to 365 or have I got to do the bullshit of releveling it?

Come HoW you should be able to upgrade them directly to max damage no issue, without having to relevel either. You just need Exotic Shards, if you have strange coins go buy some from Xur right now, the only other way to get these shards is to dismantle exotics~

funkypie

Banned
Come HoW you should be able to upgrade them directly to max damage no issue, without having to relevel either. You just need Exotic Shards, if you have strange coins go buy some from Xur right now, the only other way to get these shards is to dismantle exotics~

I'm not so sure. The murmur for example shows etheric light in upgrade materials when you hover over it, but my tier 1 patience does not. I haven't checked other exotics at 333 yet though.

PepperedHam

I believe once HoW hits it'll be moved over to the Reef where the bounties will rotate. About 20 or so bounties have been datamined specifically for the Queens Bounty.
Sweet.

Definitely looking forward to the release. I bought Dark Below but everyone I knew stopped playing so I just sort of fell out of the game not long after. After seeing the livestreams I'm very confident in buying House of Wolves. They're making some really good moves with this one imo.

Out 1

I'm not so sure. The murmur for example shows etheric light in upgrade materials when you hover over it, but my tier 1 patience does not. I haven't checked other exotics at 333 yet though.

Etheric light is needed for legendaries, both weapons and armor. Exotics require only an exotic shard and some weapon parts.

Yeah, Murmur does show it but most of my gear doesn't have those slots shown yet. Chances are they're hidden(Although the perks are moved slightly to the right~

Sweet.

Definitely looking forward to the release. I bought Dark Below but everyone I knew stopped playing so I just sort of fell out of the game not long after. After seeing the livestreams I'm very confident in buying House of Wolves. They're making some really good moves with this one imo.

Yeah, I quit when the TDB info came out...then came back a couple months ago, haven't looked back.

Hopefully Destiny 2 actually has a story and doesn't require the player to log into Bungie.net so they can read garbage Grimoire cards to find out what the hell just happened. I still can't understand how Bungie thought of such a terrible concept, and thought said concept was any good.

Top Bottom