• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves Reveal Thread

Getting myself caught up to see if I want to dive into HoW or not. I already own it as I bought the season pass at launch but I quit shortly after the dark below was released.

If I am reading everything correctly will I now be able to get to max level purely by playing pvp? Whether it be a random drop or by doing the new trials mode?

Also I assume there will be new pve content to get me from 31 to 32+? I hated the crota raid, isn't fun for me so I refuse to do it.
Thanks

Getting myself caught up to see if I want to dive into HoW or not. I already own it as I bought the season pass at launch but I quit shortly after the dark below was released.

If I am reading everything correctly will I now be able to get to max level purely by playing pvp? Whether it be a random drop or by doing the new trials mode?

Also I assume there will be new pve content to get me from 31 to 32+? I hated the crota raid, isn't fun for me so I refuse to do it.
Thanks

Yep, you can now get legendary drops (rarely) from PvP matches, but all gear you buy with crucible marks can eventually hit max level. Now, the material you need to do that you can get from the Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris competition (the later being harder, but happens EVERY weekend). So you can do just PvP and get access to a very wide set of weapons and gear that can become max level.

Edit: Also mark gain for Crucible is doubled and reputation gain is increased by 20%, so the grind towards legendary gear has been reduced significantly.

As for the PvE content, it is now a 3 player wave based randomized mode thst feels a bit like a longer strike, but offers bosses with very raid like mechanics; a kind of "third pillar" mode that bridges strike and raid activities while offering up more random elements to keep it fresh a little longer than the other two modes. Will you like it more than Crota's End? Only you know that, but you already paid for it, so why don't you at least try it?^^

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Except that new modes, maps, and mission are more content, but whatever.

Ya but at what cost? 20$? That doesnt solve the problem of what we got for base game. And even DLC is not cheap. Anyways, please dont get me started. I know there are people who genuinely like the game which is great but dont defend this shit. Game was stripped down from day one. And they didnt do jackshit to address that.

shanafan

Ya but at what cost? 20$? That doesnt solve the problem of what we got for base game. And even DLC is not cheap. Anyways, please dont get me started. I know there are people who genuinely like the game which is great but dont defend this shit. Game was stripped down from day one. And they didnt do jackshit to address that.

I think the overall majority of Destiny gamers would disagree with that last statement. The new content added in House of Wolves, and even with the newest patch, has introduced new content in the game that is different from Destiny day 1.

And cool thing too is that gamers can do some of the content without buying the HoW DLC. For example, visiting the Reef social space. Even the Crucible maps introduced with Dark Below are now open to everyone.

Bungie is doing a great job for seeing what issues are in the game, and what can be done to correct that.

Compsiox

Banned
Can someone tell me what I should do to get back to feeling competent?
-I stopped playing right after beating the two new story missions (TDB)
-I'm level 29.5

I have no idea what to do. I went back on today but I just had no idea where to start leveling up, how I should earn my gear...ect.

If someone could give me some tips that would be awesome, thanks.

I think the overall majority of Destiny gamers would disagree with that last statement. The new content added in House of Wolves, and even with the newest patch, has introduced new content in the game that is different from Destiny day 1.

And cool thing too is that gamers can do some of the content without buying the HoW DLC. For example, visiting the Reef social space. Even the Crucible maps introduced with Dark Below are now open to everyone.

Bungie is doing a great job for seeing what issues are in the game, and what can be done to correct that.

Whilst HoW does sound much better then TDB the new queens bounties we've got so far are a joke. Exact same enemies as day 1 destiny with new names.

Tomeru

Can someone tell me what I should do to get back to feeling competent?
-I stopped playing right after beating the two new story missions (TDB)
-I'm level 29.5

I have no idea what to do. I went back on today but I just had no idea where to start leveling up, how I should earn my gear...ect.

If someone could give me some tips that would be awesome, thanks.

Finish the story missions and the strike. From there you only have to do the crota raid. You can get all raid pieces of armor from normal mode. With HoW you will be able to upgrade all legendary armor to the highest level with a special item. I would say just play the game and it'll come back to you.

Lothars

Whilst HoW does sound much better then TDB the new queens bounties we've got so far are a joke. Exact same enemies as day 1 destiny with new names.
really? I don't see that being a big deal. Heck I think this event has helped the game immensely, I am looking forward to seeing what the rest of the expansion adds.

Compsiox

Banned
Finish the story missions and the strike. From there you only have to do the crota raid. You can get all raid pieces of armor from normal mode. With HoW you will be able to upgrade all legendary armor to the highest level with a special item. I would say just play the game and it'll come back to you.

So If I just wait I can level up my Light Level 29 legendary armor I already have to the max once I get the special items in HoW?

GhaleonEB

Most people complained at launch are fixed now...

Lack of story, and content were the biggest complains. I don't see that being fix.

There were four primary complaints, generally speaking.

• The story is thin and what is there is poor.
  • There is not enough content, particularly to justify
  • a pretty steep endgame grind, which
  • not enough of the population has access to.
To touch on what has changed, in order.

Not much they can do with the story, so it's down to what they do going forward. The Dark Below was a marginal step up, but only marginal. Jury is still out on House of Wolves, though they are trying some new things. (Incorporating the Reef characters into the narrative, for example.) Still very valid criticism.

The largest complaint about Destiny is the lack of content. It was a valid complaint at launch. TDB added some decent content, but it was spread thin. The House of Wolves is a much larger expansion, and all signs point to be being of higher quality. Put together they are adding three strikes, a new raid, a new arena mode, a new PvP event and game type (Osiris), eight story missions, a new PvE event (Queen's Wrath), multiple quest lines (Eris, Queen Dude), ~seven (I think?) new Crucible maps, the Reef and hundreds of new pieces of weapons and gear. Upgrade systems have been overhauled and streamlined, lots of polish added, options expanded. Obviously HoW is not out yet so we need Tuesday to arrive to start judging it properly. But together the two expansions are adding a lot to the game.

When the weekly reset happens, you've got the daily story mission, weekly Heroic strike, Nightfall, two raids, Trials of Osiris (on weekends) and the rotation of Prison of Elders hard modes on tap. Queen's Wrath will likely alternate with Iron Banner. Lack of content as a valid critique is rapidly fading.

The endgame grind has been gradually reduced through several updates, and is getting axed further with the House of Wolves release. (The list here is very long, from new sources for planetary mats, to the lower leveling requirements for the new gear.)

There's still no raid matchmaking (good), and no LFG system in game (bad). What they have done is added matchmaking to the weekly Heroic strikes; are setting the weekly Heroic and Nightfall strikes to be different strikes each week, with at least one not from the DLC so non-DLC owners are not locked out of them for the week; including matchmaking in the base Prison of Elders mode. I think that's decent progress and indicates Bungie has heard the criticism about needing to open up more of the endgame to more players. Ultimately, a LFG system is very much needed for NF, hard PoE, Trials teams and raid grouping up. This is probably the most asked for feature in the game at this point and something Bungie needs to address.

Zakalwe

Banned
There were four primary complaints, generally speaking.

• The story is thin and what is there is poor.
  • There is not enough content, particularly to justify
  • a pretty steep endgame grind, which
  • not enough of the population has access to.
To touch on what has changed, in order.

Not much they can do with the story, so it's down to what they do going forward. The Dark Below was a marginal step up, but only marginal. Jury is still out on House of Wolves, though they are trying some new things. (Incorporating the Reef characters into the narrative, for example.) Still very valid criticism.

The largest complaint about Destiny is the lack of content. It was a valid complaint at launch. TDB added some decent content, but it was spread thin. The House of Wolves is a much larger expansion, and all signs point to be being of higher quality. Put together they are adding three strikes, a new raid, a new arena mode, a new PvP event and game type (Osiris), eight story missions, a new PvE event (Queen's Wrath), multiple quest lines (Eris, Queen Dude), ~seven (I think?) new Crucible maps, the Reef and hundreds of new pieces of weapons and gear. Upgrade systems have been overhauled and streamlined, lots of polish added, options expanded. Obviously HoW is not out yet so we need Tuesday to arrive to start judging it properly. But together the two expansions are adding a lot to the game.

When the weekly reset happens, you've got the daily story mission, weekly Heroic strike, Nightfall, two raids, Trials of Osiris (on weekends) and the rotation of Prison of Elders hard modes on tap. Queen's Wrath will likely alternate with Iron Banner. Lack of content as a valid critique is rapidly fading.

The endgame grind has been gradually reduced through several updates, and is getting axed further with the House of Wolves release. (The list here is very long, from new sources for planetary mats, to the lower leveling requirements for the new gear.)

There's still no raid matchmaking (good), and no LFG system in game (bad). What they have done is added matchmaking to the weekly Heroic strikes; are setting the weekly Heroic and Nightfall strikes to be different strikes each week, with at least one not from the DLC so non-DLC owners are not locked out of them for the week; including matchmaking in the base Prison of Elders mode. I think that's decent progress and indicates Bungie has heard the criticism about needing to open up more of the endgame to more players. Ultimately, a LFG system is very much needed for NF, hard PoE, Trials teams and raid grouping up. This is probably the most asked for feature in the game at this point and something Bungie needs to address.

Agreed entirely.

I's also really like an (option al of course) voice channel in the tower. Maybe proximity chat in the wild (patrol) too.

The lack of social options make the game feel barren. Were I able to communicate with he other players in the social spaces Destiny would become a much more attractive way to spend time.

A large part of my time in every single MMO style game was spent on hanging out in social hubs and chatting wih random players. Not only was it fun, but I met some life time friends this way and many times conversations would lead to building a group to take on some actual gameplay content.

This would be a relatively simple way to open up the game massively.

In lieu of his I'd like to see a LFG/party board/flag and search system so groups can be built for activities without using external sources.

Either would be a huge improvement.

Deku Tree

So If I just wait I can level up my Light Level 29 legendary armor I already have to the max once I get the special items in HoW?

After HoW drops on Tuesday you will be able to buy level 32 armor from all of the tower vendors. It will be level 32 right out of the box with no grinding needed. This is going to be your quickest way to level up.

If you want to prepare make sure your at rank three and build up your marks so that you have enough to buy new armor.

Z3M0G

i still think marty was fired for accidentally deleting the game's story.

it's the only way to connect the dots.

Yeah haha.

The real reason the story was bad is because they realized the story they originally had wouldn't last 10 years like they planned so they trashed it.

I thought the "Bungie is Fucked" early playtest impressions left it obvious that the original story structure made the game un-fun some how.

*sigh*

I hate to complain about vault space, but...

XNNeMU7.jpg

Compsiox

Banned
After HoW drops on Tuesday you will be able to buy level 32 armor from all of the tower vendors. It will be level 32 right out of the box with no grinding needed. This is going to be your quickest way to level up.

If you want to prepare make sure your at rank three and build up your marks so that you have enough to buy new armor.

What is that?

I'm vanguard rank 6 and Crucible Rank 3. Is that good?

I also have 137 vanguard marks and 185 crucible marks.

Prologue

what about vault of glass? i'm 24.

What are those how items and how did you get them?
Those ate treasure keys, a rare drop from special chests you get after you defeat " a pack of wolves".

These are bunches of tough fallen that spawn at random times in spots on eachbplanet .

I thoroughly recommend the destiny subreddit and the house of wolves megathread. Everything you could wish to know in there.

To people posting at sub 28 level I'd say buy new gear first and do raids at the same time. The new end game event starts on Tuesday and has a minimum level of 28.

Use destinylfg, reddit fireteams etc to find groups and do whatever content you want.

There is a very active ps4 community on Gaf with prolific posters in the ot thread...but also quite a lot of Xbox people lurking on gaf.

I think the ps4 crew still do a weekly vault of glass run for new comers.

geordiemp

Destiny moaners man.

What coop shooter is better than destiny at the moment ?

Sell it to us so I can shoot it down

Not allot of content compared to what exactly ?

I love the game and i will defend it, you can't tell me or anyone else they can't.

Games has huge issues, but it's a great game.

BokehKing

Banned
Technically there is matchmaking for prison of elders, all you have to do is use the matchmaking easy mode with less loot (level 28) and ask the other two people if they rather run a level 32 or 34 instead.

Deku Tree

What is that?

I'm vanguard rank 6 and Crucible Rank 3. Is that good?

I also have 137 vanguard marks and 185 crucible marks.

That's good. Your vanguard and crucible rank are great.

You can probably buy two pieces of armor from the crucible vendor and one from the vanguard vendor. Then if you also have a maxed exotic armor (like a helmet) you'll have four level 32 pieces and then be level 32 on May 19.

The max number of marks you can have is 200 for each.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yep. All HoW engrams I can't do anything with until Tuesday lol.

I got them from opening Ether Key Chests.

Those ate treasure keys, a rare drop from special chests you get after you defeat " a pack of wolves".

These are bunches of tough fallen that spawn at random times in spots on eachbplanet .

I thoroughly recommend the destiny subreddit and the house of wolves megathread. Everything you could wish to know in there.

To people posting at sub 28 level I'd say buy new gear first and do raids at the same time. The new end game event starts on Tuesday and has a minimum level of 28.

Use destinylfg, reddit fireteams etc to find groups and do whatever content you want.

There is a very active ps4 community on Gaf with prolific posters in the ot thread...but also quite a lot of Xbox people lurking on gaf.

I think the ps4 crew still do a weekly vault of glass run for new comers.
I never got those from all the special chests I've opened ={ I did the bounties yesterday for all my characters.

Moobabe

So I had a bunch of engrams that didn't seem to appear at the cryptarch. "A glitch," I thought, "I better delete these from my inventory!"

Woops I guess...

Hey guys- is the digital guardian edition on sale on PSN worth the $60? I've played the demo and enjoyed the world and gunplay and see potential in it. I want all the DLC because I don't like chunks of games, only complete games

geordiemp

You don't need an example. I'm having fun with it again and the DLC looks very promising, but the fact remains, there's a few glaring issues with the game.

But you do, not allot of content compared to say WOW with monthly subs that's been running for how many years ?

Some people play a 10 hour campaign and give it their GOTY and moan about destiny,

I just want to know where these crazy preconceptions of content comes form ?

I can only guess its the destiny hype, as no other game offers so much to do with mates.

Top Bottom