• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny House of Wolves Reveal Thread

Cruxist

They really need to do something about the way chests can be reused if you travel away and back again, all I see on twitch are people abusing it lol

The drop rate for keys is so low, it won't matter in the long run. Plus, the folks you see doing it are probably running into a storage issue. I know I am, and while I'm definitely in the "hardcore" set of players, I'm not as hardcore as some I see streaming.

Plus, you've got to remember that 99% of those engrams will turn into blue trash and be immediately junked. Even if it is new content, nobody keeps anything blue. There's too much good purple stuff out there.

martino

*sigh*

I hate to complain about vault space, but...

XNNeMU7.jpg

is this a capture of my vault ?

mcfrank

The drop rate for keys is so low, it won't matter in the long run. Plus, the folks you see doing it are probably running into a storage issue. I know I am, and while I'm definitely in the "hardcore" set of players, I'm not as hardcore as some I see streaming.

Plus, you've got to remember that 99% of those engrams will turn into blue trash and be immediately junked. Even if it is new content, nobody keeps anything blue. There's too much good purple stuff out there.

Yeah I have opened 30 chests and only received 1 key and 2 purples. Not really worth the time in the long run.

is this a capture of my vault ?
Dito lol

Motes of light and strange coins are possible so are purples, but most importantly is rahools rank :D

Mmmm. I want that purple stuff.

patchday

But then people wouldn't be playing this game 7-8 months later.

Me and 5 other people from GAF gridded the same 2 public encounters for hours, multiple times this weekend. A different 6 people everytime, had a blast talking to everyone, talking about what could be fixed in the future, making new friends and just having a good time, all while preparing for House of Wolves. The people who shit on this game need to realize a large # of people love this game, on both systems.

The troubling aspect is the main reasons DGAF has fun is due to unintended exploits or 'cheese'. Bungie did not intend for the new chest farming to be 6 manned.

Now, when I ran some bounties with DGAF to try out the patch I logged on for bout an hour and grew quickly bored standing around for 10 mins for an event to start (but there was only 3 of us). I bet since you had 6 folks, you were able to split up and cover both event locations. Alas, that was unintended. Hence, the main reason you had fun was the chest-flip trick (re-zone, chest respawns during ether key duration) and 6 man (via VoG exploit where you start the raid then bounce)

edit -->

*sigh*

I hate to complain about vault space, but...

XNNeMU7.jpg

Once again, unintended exploits/bugs. Bungie surely did not anticipate players to grab so much loot. We don't even have the vault space to horde the HoW engrams because they don't even stack. Players have doubled -> tripled their engrams via the chest rezone exploit/bug. Funny thing is the bug has always been there. Perhaps for so long it might be a feature. Because you could always rezone for the planetary mats

patchday

PvP is definitely not "garbage" but it definitely needs significant changes.

Halo was literally the only shooter I cared about until Destiny released and there's a reason i've left it behind. Bungie took those games downhill with each iteration. Maps got flatter, weapons got dumber and they piled in mechanics that simply didn't compliment the gameplay. On top of this, they started throwing away the things that made the first one as balanced as it was like utility weapons, map control and power ups. My biggest problem with Halo right now is the fact that it's so focused on spawn killing and team shooting across the map. Map design has stagnated because competitive Halo players don't want to play anything else; nothing else plays well when you have weapons that take ages to kill and abilities that let you run away from fights. It isn't fun to play solo and it isn't fun to play with a team because nobody really cares anymore. The meta is exhausted and it's boring.

On the other hand, I can boot up Destiny, whip out The Last Word and average 40 kills. Running around shooting things in this game is incredibly satisfying [when it isn't lagging]. I cant really say the same of Halo with projectile weapons and bloom. Obviously the skill ceiling in this game is low and I enjoy being better at it. But Destiny ironically has some of the key elements that Halo has been lacking - height variation and individual skill. The only thing I miss from Halo in that regard is being able to jump and shoot, but after 2 games with jetpack, I've had enough of people shooting and flying.

That's probably where I'll say it stops for Destiny though. I detest the majority of the maps in the game and especially am not fond of all the cheap OHK abilities. I appreciate the fact that you can feel like a superhero during the match - it's part of the game's charm - but every month the balance sways from one OP combo to the next and the latest one has effectively ruined the meta game. It's like Halo 4 where everyone had thruster, light rifles and bolt shots.

Elaborating on that, playing Destiny competitively is a joke. I like playing against evenly skilled teams, but between the bad maps, nooby weapons and the lack of tools to facilitate that competitive edge, you end up with a very small niche of the fanbase. We basically know all the good players because we have to match each other to find competition.

This ties into the biggest issue with Destiny's PvP. It isn't the maps, nor the balance or the skill ceiling. It's the fact that it's tremendously barebones. For all the faults with the latter Halo games, their feature set was ever expanding, with new gametypes, vehicles and even level editing. Destiny doesn't have any of that. There's no map voting, no ranking and no true objective gametypes. Hell, it doesn't even have private matches. Their reasoning against objective game modes ("we don't want to put too much pressure on one player") also doesn't make any sense.

Bungie held back on everything from the lobbies to the gametypes. This is something they pioneered and at one point nearly perfected, so it's especially puzzling how they failed to deliver. Halo's vehicle combat is a staple of the franchise and Bungie also messed that up. It's almost as if they tried so hard to not be Halo that they forgot all the good stuff they did in those games.

Despite the overemphasis on PvP since the game launched, it seems like this entire half of the game was an afterthought. Or rather, Bungie wanted to make it a significant chunk of the end-game but at the same time didn't know what to do with it. Perhaps that's why we still have weapons and even classes that are completely useless in PvE but amazing in PvP, and vice versa.

Trials of Osiris is a decent step towards making the competitive multiplayer portion of the game more interesting. However, considering the current meta game and the fact that its debut will take place on arguably one of the worst maps in the game, I think it's going to be met with significant backlash. We saw it with the first Iron Banner and at this point it's expected for every new bit of content that releases in Destiny. I just hope that Trials at the very least is a catalyst for significant improvements to the Crucible. I'm not looking for Halo out of Destiny, but I'd like to see Destiny's multiplayer find a foothold and become a smarter game for it.

Great post. However, I loved all the Halo multiplayer FPS games. I would seriously be playing that as my main but my kids primarily play Minecraft on the xbox 360 now.

I loved the huge variety of modes and playing it competitively. Probably enjoyed Halo Reach a bit more than Halo 4 though. Although I loved the new armors in halo 4. Gameplay was better in Reach though

BokehKing

Banned
The troubling aspect is the main reasons DGAF has fun is due to unintended exploits or 'cheese'. Bungie did not intend for the new chest farming to be 6 manned.

Now, when I ran some bounties with DGAF to try out the patch I logged on for bout an hour and grew quickly bored standing around for 10 mins for an event to start (but there was only 3 of us). I bet since you had 6 folks, you were able to split up and cover both event locations. Alas, that was unintended. Hence, the main reason you had fun was the chest-flip trick (re-zone, chest respawns during ether key duration) and 6 man (via VoG exploit where you start the raid then bounce)

edit -->

Once again, unintended exploits/bugs. Bungie surely did not anticipate players to grab so much loot. We don't even have the vault space to horde the HoW engrams because they don't even stack. Players have doubled -> tripled their engrams via the chest rezone exploit/bug. Funny thing is the bug has always been there. Perhaps for so long it might be a feature. Because you could always rezone for the planetary mats
Oh... I'm sure I only had fun because I was cheezing and not because I was having a good time laughing and talking with community members in a way the game should have been designed (6 man patrol parties)

Bungie needs to see that situation increased the fun of the game for a lot of people.

Half the fun in the game is coming together with others with team work goals

patchday

Oh... I'm sure I only had fun because I was cheezing and not because I was having a good time laughing and talking with community members in a way the game should have been designed (6 man patrol parties)

Bungie needs to see that situation increased the fun of the game for a lot of people.

Half the fun in the game is coming together with others with team work goals

hehe, that's a good reply. I agree they should leave it as-is and consider building around that for Destiny 2. I will at least try the 6 man patrol thing if time permits. I might get Witcher 3 though so might not get time. I don't play Destiny for pvp anymore so I rarely play as it is.

[edit] fishy- this is a small patch that we're downloading. Chest exploit fixed or something else?
[edit2] DGAF reports the cheese is still there.

RSB

Banned
But then people wouldn't be playing this game 7-8 months later.
Bungie's Halo games didn't need grind or random loot to keep me playing for years. The games were so fun that I just wanted to keep playing. Destiny, on the other hand, got boring in less than two months.The grind, the random loot, the weekly caps, and all those systems the game uses to keep players coming back week after week didn't work on me I guess... (in fact, I think those systems actually made me want to play less)

Anyway, I find it kind of sad that they now need to resort to those kind of tricks to keep people playing. Hopefully, for Destiny 2, Bungie will go back to the method they used with their previous games: "Make awesome game, people will play" That approach is much better IMO, and doesn't require cheap tricks to keep its playerbase.

Bungie's Halo games didn't need grind or random loot to keep me playing for years. The games were so fun that I just wanted to keep playing. Destiny, on the other hand, got boring in less than two months.The grind, the random loot, the weekly caps, and all those systems the game uses to keep players coming back week after week didn't work on me I guess... (in fact, I think those systems actually made me want to play less)

Anyway, I find it kind of sad that they now need to resort to those kind of tricks to keep people playing. Hopefully, for Destiny 2, Bungie will go back to the method they used with their previous games: "Make awesome game, people will play" That approach is much better IMO, and doesn't require cheap tricks to keep its playerbase.

theyre really two different games though. destiny is built so that you have to log on daily and spread your time between multiple activities to keep your character current. its probably the main reason why all the story missions take less than 10 minutes to complete.

halo missions had large battles, varying set pieces and objectives to complete. we didnt need a reason to replay them because they were just well designed. but im not exactly lining up to do an Assault on the Control Room daily mission for 2 motes of light.

the loot game ruined Destiny's creative potential to that end. You can see it in how the strikes are intentionally designed to be as easy and straight-forward as possible.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't think Destiny was ever really supposed to be about stories, it was about bringing some of that MMO crack formula to consoles, and it works great.

Many of console players never experienced these 'tricks' as some people call it.

Having played WoW in the past I recognized it for it was and welcomed it. I would be happy with what I got as long as I didn't have to pay for the online.

The HoW DLC doesn't even come out til Tuesday and already Destiny is more fun. The new Queen's bounties are quite nice. Virtually every time they happen, there's about 4 or 5 others nearby to join in. I haven't had that much fun in Destiny in quite some time and all I was doing was running back and forth on Venus between events. I filled up my vault with engrams and was able to snag one key.

The Skywatch bounty was a tad troubling. Twice in a row, just as the Wolves began to prowl, an all-out war between the 2 factions happened. It was impossible to find the Wolves in the chaos. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but one event overshadowed the other. On Venus, it was hilarious to have the Wolves show up amongst extraction crews. I remember yelling out, "How precious. That level 6 Vandal thinks he's a part of this."

My only complaint is that they removed the Blades of Crota events. How cool would it be to have Wolves prowling, the Blade of Crota and an extraction crew all at once? Plus, it makes Eris' bounties harder.

patchday

Yeah it strikes me as odd. They invested all this money into research so they can 'trap' the players in Destiny. Why not just make it fun like Halo games were?

I suspect the answer is they possibly did not see significant DLC sales or perhaps they want to attract larger audiences. With Destiny- the goal was to hook the player and never let go. From there, the addicted players will drag in their friends and the snowball just keeps getting bigger and bigger

Looking at DGAF I've noticed a lot of veteran posters bounced. But they were replaced by lots of fresh, new posters that are addicted to the hamster wheel

* Should add though Bungie's plan has worked flawlessly except for they could not deliver the 2nd dlc on time when fans expected. Otherwise, the veterans from vanilla would surely still be there.

The HoW DLC doesn't even come out til Tuesday and already Destiny is more fun. The new Queen's bounties are quite nice. Virtually every time they happen, there's about 4 or 5 others nearby to join in. I haven't had that much fun in Destiny in quite some time and all I was doing was running back and forth on Venus between events. I filled up my vault with engrams and was able to snag one key.

The Skywatch bounty was a tad troubling. Twice in a row, just as the Wolves began to prowl, an all-out war between the 2 factions happened. It was impossible to find the Wolves in the chaos. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, but one event overshadowed the other. On Venus, it was hilarious to have the Wolves show up amongst extraction crews. I remember yelling out, "How precious. That level 6 Vandal thinks he's a part of this."

My only complaint is that they removed the Blades of Crota events. How cool would it be to have Wolves prowling, the Blade of Crota and an extraction crew all at once? Plus, it makes Eris' bounties harder.

Except for that Captain on the moon. Never had any help with that one, and he smoked me every time despite me throwing nuclear grade arc at him.

Darth Smurf X said:

Fist of Crota mission. It's a get in, get out 3 times mission for killing Blades. That's actually how I've done that bounty for a long time, now, since it's actually faster than waiting around the Moon or Cosmodrome for them to spawn. Plus if you have the Husk Shards or one of the melee bounties you get a sword to cream the last room leading towards Sardok.

Except for that Captain on the moon. Never had any help with that one, and he smoked me every time despite me throwing nuclear grade arc at him.

That one in Anchor of Light? He's a dickwad on the level of that "Kill the Target" captain that occasionally shows up on Forgotten Shore or Hellmouth.

Urzok falls in one or two shots of Found Verdict. This guy? Laughs and lights you up with his OP shrapnel launcher of doom.

shanafan

Introduce him to the 4th Horseman, point blank. Not even he fares well.

I'm really starting to place a closer look at the modifiers weapons have. I think I read that the 4th Horseman's last round can crit. That would make it a great PVP weapon right?

Fist of Crota mission. It's a get in, get out 3 times mission for killing Blades. That's actually how I've done that bounty for a long time, now, since it's actually faster than waiting around the Moon or Cosmodrome for them to spawn. Plus if you have the Husk Shards or one of the melee bounties you get a sword to cream the last room leading towards Sardok.

Yeah. That's how I've been doing them now, but it was nice if you were doing other bounties on Earth or the Moon and then these also showed up you could cross a bunch off the list all at once. I'd rather be fighting them while waiting for a public event than watching my ship fly to Earth repeatedly. But... it's a small gripe to have.

BokehKing

Banned
hehe, that's a good reply. I agree they should leave it as-is and consider building around that for Destiny 2. I will at least try the 6 man patrol thing if time permits. I might get Witcher 3 though so might not get time. I don't play Destiny for pvp anymore so I rarely play as it is.

[edit] fishy- this is a small patch that we're downloading. Chest exploit fixed or something else?
[edit2] DGAF reports the cheese is still there.
Yeah man its fun, Bungie needs to take notes and adjust to that.

Now I don't expect these changes in Comet, that's just Destiny 1.5

But I expect it in Destiny 2

Wallach

edit -->

I don't actually understand how 6 players is a meaningful advantage over 3 players, which have always been able to zone into Patrol. You can cover both event locations with 2 players, and 2 players will have almost the same overall TTK on the event as 6 (which hardly matter anyway because the events are timed so the overall difference is trivial).

The only meaningful problem here was the fact that chests can be hit multiple times. It's actually not as much of a problem now as it will be after Tuesday, because right now it is heavily mitigated by inventory space (a solo player pulling only one loot per chest still could have capped their vault space in terms of engrams). Treasure Keys are currently the bigger outlier, but they also capped the number of those an account can hold so again that is mitigated. Edit - You could also say legendary engrams are the worst outlier, but this is more due to the bug where they are dropping as HoW engrams instead of TDB engrams.

After HoW is live however, they should probably address this because the valve on inventory space will stop working in their favor.

BokehKing

Banned
I don't actually understand how 6 players is a meaningful advantage over 3 players, which have always been able to zone into Patrol. You can cover both event locations with 2 players, and 2 players will have almost the same overall TTK on the event as 6 (which hardly matter anyway because the events are timed so the overall difference is trivial).

The only meaningful problem here was the fact that chests can be hit multiple times
6 players = more fun, no one gets left out.

I hit the chest multiple times for a total of 4 hours, no keys, so I don't see the problem there.

Wallach

6 players = more fun, no one gets left out.

I hit the chest multiple times for a total of 4 hours, no keys, so I don't see the problem there.

Sure, I was only saying that the exploits/problems with the current event don't really have anything to do with being in a party of 6 players. It really isn't a problem.

patchday

The only meaningful problem here was the fact that chests can be hit multiple times. It's actually not as much of a problem now as it will be after Tuesday, because right now it is heavily mitigated by inventory space (a solo player pulling only one loot per chest still could have capped their vault space in terms of engrams). Treasure Keys are currently the bigger outlier, but they also capped the number of those an account can hold so again that is mitigated. Edit - You could also say legendary engrams are the worst outlier, but this is more due to the bug where they are dropping as HoW engrams instead of TDB engrams.

After HoW is live however, they should probably address this because the valve on inventory space will stop working in their favor.

A 6 player fireteam can pwn the mobs much faster than just 3 though by chaining the orbs -> supers (similar to how dgaf runs GK glimmer runs). This does not account for nearby 'randoms' (a bunch of randoms could accomplish same feat). I get the gist of your main point though

But yeah my point is a 6 player fireteam should be crazy much more efficient. Nearby randoms- god knows whats on their mind. So just not accounting for them

Wallach

A 6 player fireteam can pwn the mobs much faster than just 3 though by chaining the orbs -> supers (similar to how dgaf runs GK glimmer runs). This does not account for nearby 'randoms' (a bunch of randoms could accomplish same feat). I get the gist of your main point though

But yeah my point is a 6 player fireteam should be crazy much more efficient. Nearby randoms- god knows whats on their mind. So just not accounting for them

You really only need 2 players for that. 3 is probably overkill and anything beyond that is certain lostly to natural diminishing returns.

tait269

So after you finish the POE all three of your crew automatically gets keys for the large treasure chest?

I think the first time you do POE for the week each person is guaranteed a key and from then you have to go grinding for them. Everyone has to use their own keys to open the chest supposedly as well.

Ken

You really only need 2 players for that. 3 is probably overkill and anything beyond that is certain lostly to natural diminishing returns.

I've been 2-manning them with a Hunter friend. Flashbangs from Striker Titan pretty much shuts down any wave of your choosing.

6 is fun though with all the super orbs everywhere!

BokehKing

Banned
Sure, I was only saying that the exploits/problems with the current event don't really have anything to do with being in a party of 6 players. It really isn't a problem.
These "exploits" will help the under level players catch up.

Finally got a key at 6:55 this morning, the hunger is real

Top Bottom